• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Next Playstation will be call Playstation 5. More details.

onQ123

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we’re seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools."

Fake

The devkit is real after all.
2SpsLZ6.png

Evilms

Banned
So the PlayStation 5 it's :
  • CPU Zen 2 custom with 8 cores
  • GPU Navi/RDNA custom
  • SSD custom
  • Ray Tracing Hardware support
  • Up to 8K
  • 4K UHD support
  • 120Hz support
  • Dualshock 5 with usb type-c
  • 3D Audio support
  • Blu-Ray physical support 4K 100 GB.
  • Digital support and streaming
  • Cross save
  • Backward compatible with PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR
  • Launch at the end of 2020

Last edited:
"[the controller] doesn't have a name yet"

Gosh, I wonder what it might be called ...

The next-gen controller uses a USB Type-C connector for charging ✅
Larger-capacity battery ✅
Haptics motors ✅
A bit heavier than the DualShock 4 ✅❌ (depending on your point of view)

2x the speed of a 4K BD drive.
where do you get this information from? the article says it's a 4K BD drive that doubles as a player.

4K BD drives already have 12x read speeds and I highly doubt that the PS5 is rocking a 24x drive. It would surprise me if the drive is any better than the current Xbox models drives.

ethomaz

Banned
Gavon West Gavon West

You were really dreaming lol

M meirl

I'm afraid it was never confirmed software ray-tracing lol

Last edited:

Fake

where do you get this information from? the article says it's a 4K BD drive that doubles as a player.

4K BD drives already have 12x read speeds and I highly doubt that the PS5 is rocking a 24x drive. It would surprise me if the drive is any better than the current Xbox models drives.
Yeah you're right. I read wrong this mention.
Sry, my mistake.

FranXico

And a 4K bluray drive will do just fine! I'm interested.

KAL2006

Banned
Damn I had hoped Dualshock 5 would be able to split into 2 for motion gaming and VR games. Especially with the haptic feedback.

Stuart360

So will 60 FPS be the standard going forward?
I doubt it. I think there will probably be a higher percentage of 60fps games next gen (because of the decent cpu), especially in the first couple of years with all the cross gen games, but by the end of the generation i'm certain the majority of games released over the whole gen will be 30fps.

FranXico

Either MS and Sony are going to be taking heavy losses on each unit, or these things are going to cost a bomb.
Both for both.
And on top of that, this is looking up to be the generation with the most hardware power parity ever.
Which is a good thing.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Good moves all around.

Hardware supported Ray Tracing sounds like it could be a lovely bit of future proofing, and everytime we hear about this console, there’s some common sense improvement that’s really nice. As such, I’m glad to hear about granular data control, 100 GB discs, and a detailed live view of what friends are doing (even if I don’t want to jump in, I think seeing what a friend is up to, is fascinating).

Likewise for the controller. It was obvious that ‘HD Rumble’ was going to be an industry-wide thing from the start, and nobody will be plugging in the USB cable in the wrong way anymore.

The triggers are strange. I’m not sure what to make of them, but I do welcome this kind of immersion-enhancing stuff. In combination with the haptics, and gameplay focusing maybe a little more on the triggers than the face buttons, you could have a really immersive experience.

Now, the one thing most important to me. Is Sony going to stop censoring games in accordance with wokeness? Because I refuse to buy a platform where the manufacturer is beginning to decide to an absurd degree, what is okay for me to play and see, or not.

lock2k

Banned
It will play PS4 discs, right?

I think I will wait and buy one.

I had a PS4 in the beggining of the gen but I had to sell it. I was thinking of buying one again. but I guess I'll wait and play it all on PS5.

Humdinger

Good news about the improvements to the controller, the 4K Blu-Ray player, ray tracing, and the option to install only certain modes of games.

"Single-player games will provide information like what missions you could do and what rewards you might receive for completing them—and all of those choices will be visible in the UI. As a player you just jump right into whatever you like.” I wonder how that will work.

The only thing that's gonna derail the PS5 train is price point. Lets hope it can launch at under $500.

I doubt that will happen, unless $499 counts. I'm just hoping they can bring it in at $500. I'll buy it even if it's more than that, but I know a lot of people won't.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes water is wet!
- Official name is PlayStation 5
- Ray tracing support is hardware based
- New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming
- Controller has now adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, new speakers, USB Type-C
Finally. The Switch Pro uses the usb type c what I actually want is better battery life

Darius87

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA.
i'll paraphrase what she really ment to say:
"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with new monetization techniques, or the examination of next-gen loot boxes" says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA.
"The PlayStation 5 controller looks like the DualShock 4, but has a little hole in it, which Cerny said will be discussed at a later time. "

My guess is, the hole is for holograms.
or just maybe... 🎮 +👆 = Fisting? :messenger_downcast_sweat: nevermind

I agree, I don't see them sticking in a faster drive which would make no sense since the game installs and runs off the SSD anyway. I am just glad to finally see a 4K drive in their console and I am loving all the news I am hearing so far, I can't wait to see the final console/controller!

Top Bottom