• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Next Playstation will be call Playstation 5. More details.

Rodolink

When do you think they'll unveil how it looks? I think next February, not likely theyll wait until E3. Or maybe even next december along with more PS4 special editions.

McHuj

Are we even going to have a Playstation meeting next year? They could easily forgo that now.

Other than detailed specs and some demos, they've pretty much stated everything else that would have been revealed. I can see another article with specs early next year and just a State of Play for some demos next spring, pre GDC.

DonF

Installation wizards coming to console... yay!
Some ps4 already had a menu where you could choose the order of installation, MP or SP first. I believe Kill zone shadowfall had that. But it didn't really catch on. I was hoping we could eventually uninstall the same this gen, but it was never put in place. The ps4 could easily pull it off, but oh well, its the ps5 time now.

Kazza

I doubt it. I think there will probably be a higher percentage of 60fps games next gen (because of the decent cpu), especially in the first couple of years with all the cross gen games, but by the end of the generation i'm certain the majority of games released over the whole gen will be 30fps.

I agree, but if they do end up going 4K/30fps for games then hopefully they will include options for a 60fps performance mode for those of us willing to drop to 1080p. Graphical options seem more common this gen (especially after the pro/X launches)

I agree, but if they do end up going 4K/30fps for games then hopefully they will include options for a 60fps performance mode for those of us willing to drop to 1080p. Graphical options seem more common this gen (especially after the pro/X launches)
They can lower resolution or disable raytracing to offer 60+ fps.

demigod

This was already known. PS5 only has Software based RT. It’s the same as this gen:

Xbox oneX native 4K
PS4 pro checkerboard crap fake 4K
Incorrect. PS5 is said to have software based RT. And XOX patently has more native 4K games than the latter. Dont spread misinformation breh
What is this, a court of law? lol. There is word from a developer that Scarlett has dedicated RT cores, just as it was rumored based on comments made post announcement. It was also speculated, before this comment by the developer, that only Scarlett had these dedicated RT cores because there was no official comment from Sony regarding this, the language was just "supported" but no specific mention of having hardware support like MS implied, and now confirmed by a dev.

Gavon: Ori and the Will of the Wisps announced by dev, coming to Xbox
DeepEnigma: This is a must own game, so clearly coming to PS4 as well, its logical
Gavon: Nope, this is only coming to Xbox console.
DeepEnigam: Receipts?
Gavon: Find it yourself. Its out there. Google some shit!
DeepEnigma: You made the statement. The burden of proof is on you to provide the evidence. So, present it. Since we have a comprehensive thread with no mention of Ori NOT coming to PS5.

Me:
giphy.gif

Let us know if you guys are alive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit : Damn, beaten by Ethomaz. Ahh well he forgot to add one member though.

Last edited:

Kingthrash

New gen hype has begun! MS will have info on scrlarlette within the week, just you watch.....cant let sony have all the hype

Darius87

I don't think Sony's will be as good, if it was the writer would have stated so.
Wired is not going to kill it's exclusive access to Mark Cerny and PS5 hardware by saying, "but it doesn't match up to Nintendo's superior HD Rumble."
i think it's gonna be better or equal to nintendo it would be really bad if it was inferrior to last gen console tech.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Most important questions:

1. Will they have a way to recognize people using FPS dominators and ban them?
2. Will PUBG be available on PS5 and run at 60fps?
3. What does that fucking hole do?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Feels weird to see this casually announced via Tweet. Almost scrolled past this thread and would have missed it otherwise.

Zannegan

Like what they say about haptic feedback. Any innovation in the controller space is a good thing (though I wonder if it's any more capable than the XB1's rumble triggers, or no. I sure sounds like it.)

ANIMAL1975

After all the weird hater not believing it was hardware RT Sony had to confirm a second time.

It was clear it was hardware RT when they announced few months ago.

There is no news in this article at all.
Maybe the holiday 2020? But that was the most estimations after the first article.
Didn't you read the article?! There's a new little hole in the Dualshock V

Of course there is a news. First the name and second the Dualshock 5.
edit: More too. New user interface, usb-c, different install method, dualshock triggers, etc...
And the little hole thingy!

But... but... but... The Heinz ketchup and mayo sauces said people are "very nervous".

It's a natural thing that people become nervous with the absence of information. The only one safe here are Sony employees and devs with devkits....

The only thing that's gonna derail the PS5 train is price point. Lets hope it can launch at under $500.
It's going to be $499 i can feel it!!!
]

Wonko_C

Oct 13 will be Playtation VR birthday. Will Sony speak about VR2 for PS5?

Nah, they're just doing a big sale like every year. At most they'll probably celebrate PSVR reaching 5 million sold. (If it's been keeping the same rate of sales)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
A thimble of news here...a tea spoon there. Just enough to keep people interested, not enough to give too much away.

Sony and Microsoft are both killing me with this shit.

Reactions: TLZ
Booo same old boring 2 handed controller, I want Oculus Touch Style split awesomeness.

YES. I desire a controller that doesn't keep my hands close together like the Switch.

Also Holiday 2020? Hopefully theres enough space between this and the Xbox where I can slip this purchase in without my wife knowing.

ZywyPL

Banned
SHOCKING NEWS! Playstation 5 will be named.... PLAYSTATION 5!

For real people... Maybe I'm getting old or something, but any PC/console news don't excite me anymore like they used to in the past, but on topic:

I simply cannot wait for the reports of the new controller's batter life with all the new additions, it surely cannot get any worse than with that retardedly forced LED DS4, right?... Why do I have a strong feeling that just as the gyroscope, touchscreen etc. the new tech will be used only in a bunch of 1st party launch titles and soon after that it will become obsolete? Also - triggers suck. They used to be cool back in the PS3/X360 era when they were something completely fresh and new, but as time showed, they are only semi-good in racing games, and how many of them are there nowadays to begin with? I mean, pretty much nobody at this point believes that GT can get back even remotely close to it's former glory, while the whole rest of the games require instant response, instant action, and triggers are far from delivering it. I have no faith in DS5, I will be truly shocked if Sony finally gets the size and the shape right.

New BD? It's hard to get excited here if you ask me - optical drive is an optical drive, they are simply way too slow to play the games from the disc like in the good old days no matter what, you will actually install the games faster with a decent optic fiber connection than from the disc, especially on an SSD, so hopefully a cheaper, BD-less SKU will be available there as well.

SSD itself - again, after the initial excitement I don't have god knows how high expectations here - I already abandoned HDDs on PC a looong time ago, so fast boots and fast loadings aren't anything new to me, but the announced instant-loadings , no loading screens at all, no forced/overlong cut-scenes etc? I don't buy it - the games always have to take the lowest common dominator, into consideration , which in this case will be PCs/laptops, literally billions of them with prehistoric HDD drives, so all the games will have to mask the loadings anyway, so the only case where they will be able to make it really happen will be 1st party titles not available elsewhere.

The other issues I'm mostly concerned about is the jet engine noise and slow PSN download speed, seems like impossible tasks for Sony, but who knows? So again, waiting for day-one adopters for the initial feedback on those aspects, there's no way I'm getting PS5 blindly on it's release. Because as far as the tech specs go, let's be honest - we pretty much know everything about the upcoming consoles, the code optimizations will even further expand the possibilities, and both consoles will be closer to each other like never before, so it will (as always) go down to the games, and sorry to say, but if Sony won't be able to deliver anything else than (yet another!) boring-ass 3rd person view walking simulator it will be really hard for me to find a single reason to own a PS5. What's the current pace anyway? One 1st party exclusive per year? Which are forgotten after just a week? So yeah...

Also - I cannot wait for the clown fiesta from Sony and MS when revealing the consoles and their games, where 1/3rd of the games will hit a serious downgrade before they get released, and another 1/3rd won't even leave the tech-demo/pre-rendered gameplay status.

NickFire

SHOCKING NEWS! Playstation 5 will be named.... PLAYSTATION 5!

For real people... Maybe I'm getting old or something, but any PC/console news don't excite me anymore like they used to in the past, but on topic:

I simply cannot wait for the reports of the new controller's batter life with all the new additions, it surely cannot get any worse than with that retardedly forced LED DS4, right?... Why do I have a strong feeling that just as the gyroscope, touchscreen etc. the new tech will be used only in a bunch of 1st party launch titles and soon after that it will become obsolete? Also - triggers suck. They used to be cool back in the PS3/X360 era when they were something completely fresh and new, but as time showed, they are only semi-good in racing games, and how many of them are there nowadays to begin with? I mean, pretty much nobody at this point believes that GT can get back even remotely close to it's former glory, while the whole rest of the games require instant response, instant action, and triggers are far from delivering it. I have no faith in DS5, I will be truly shocked if Sony finally gets the size and the shape right.

New BD? It's hard to get excited here if you ask me - optical drive is an optical drive, they are simply way too slow to play the games from the disc like in the good old days no matter what, you will actually install the games faster with a decent optic fiber connection than from the disc, especially on an SSD, so hopefully a cheaper, BD-less SKU will be available there as well.

SSD itself - again, after the initial excitement I don't have god knows how high expectations here - I already abandoned HDDs on PC a looong time ago, so fast boots and fast loadings aren't anything new to me, but the announced instant-loadings , no loading screens at all, no forced/overlong cut-scenes etc? I don't buy it - the games always have to take the lowest common dominator, into consideration , which in this case will be PCs/laptops, literally billions of them with prehistoric HDD drives, so all the games will have to mask the loadings anyway, so the only case where they will be able to make it really happen will be 1st party titles not available elsewhere.

The other issues I'm mostly concerned about is the jet engine noise and slow PSN download speed, seems like impossible tasks for Sony, but who knows? So again, waiting for day-one adopters for the initial feedback on those aspects, there's no way I'm getting PS5 blindly on it's release. Because as far as the tech specs go, let's be honest - we pretty much know everything about the upcoming consoles, the code optimizations will even further expand the possibilities, and both consoles will be closer to each other like never before, so it will (as always) go down to the games, and sorry to say, but if Sony won't be able to deliver anything else than (yet another!) boring-ass 3rd person view walking simulator it will be really hard for me to find a single reason to own a PS5. What's the current pace anyway? One 1st party exclusive per year? Which are forgotten after just a week? So yeah...

Also - I cannot wait for the clown fiesta from Sony and MS when revealing the consoles and their games, where 1/3rd of the games will hit a serious downgrade before they get released, and another 1/3rd won't even leave the tech-demo/pre-rendered gameplay status.
Next gen sounds exciting to me. Sorry you aren't having fun in the run up to it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda thinking PS4 reveal event will be March or April, I'd suspect they'd want to get some separation with TLOU launch, but leave themselves with time to tease price-point for E3 and leave themselves wiggle-room to react to whatever moves MS makes at that event.

Top Bottom