• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Next Playstation will be call Playstation 5. More details.

I miss my Sony bois already
9fi7nkJ.png

Shmunter

Over a year to go. At this rate I’ll never see the PS6.

Wonder what Xbox wil do now that their nemesis has show their cards.

hunthunt

Banned
i really don't see why microsoft did not just name the succeeding xbox's as xbox 2, xbox 3.

They would always be a numer behind, although if they count the Xbox one X they could name the next one Xbox 5, which would be hilarious actually.

sendit

How glorious would it be on the PS5 Pro to run Native 4K @60fps. That will shut the PC Masterace up! lol

PC Masterrace play games at over 100 FPS. Also, unless Sony mandates Minimum resolution and FPS on their platform, you will never see this.

Last edited:
An entire generation of babies. Maybe you and them should go out every once in a while, and maybe do some yard work?
No, the lawnmower vibrates all the time and this is annoying as hell, I heard that they are also noisier than the launch PS4's fan! It's hard to believe what those yard people are saying about sometimes.

How glorious would it be on the PS5 Pro to run Native 4K @60fps. That will shut the PC Masterace up! lol

They have 4k 120FPS monitors by now, and you'll find people who claim everybody play all games at this resolution/fps at Ultra all the time! One would wonder why they even make sub 1000$ video cards these days. - Keep in mind that only losers get non Titan cards these days.

On a side note, anyone know if lube is damaging to electronic components? Asking for a friend.
Is is that same friend who kept the PS4 around to make fun of it?

They would always be a numer behind, although if they count the Xbox one X they could name the next one Xbox 5, which would be hilarious actually.
Maybe the "Xbox one XI" or just own it and call it the "Xbots box".

Last edited:
No, the lawnmower vibrates all the time and this is annoying as hell, I heard that they are also noisier than the launch PS4's fan! It's hard to believe what those yard people are saying about sometimes.

They have 4k 120FPS monitors by now, and you'll find people who claim everybody play all games at this resolution/fps at Ultra all the time! One would wonder why they even make sub 1000$ video cards these days. - Keep in mind that only losers get non Titan cards these days.

Is is that same friend who kept the PS4 around to make fun of it?

Maybe the "Xbox one XI" or just own it and call it the "Xbots box".

How about calling it: Super Xbox God Super Xbox

rəddəM

XBox 4320p® or 8K®
XBox One 2®
XBox 720®
XBox Elite®
XBox 4® or IV® *Edited.
Box X®
XBox Neo®
PlayBox X®
XStation®
XBox Infinitum®
XCloud Box®
XBox Cloud®
XBox We'll Start Over®

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, not surprising as Samsung's 8K isn't really 8K - as LG has demonstrated with their contrast modulation comparisons
Really? Samsung BSing?

Best Buy Canada has 65" 8k tvs on sale for $5,000 cdn.

• 65” screen with real 8K HDR (7680 x 4320) resolution brings your movies, TV shows, games, and more to life with vibrant and detailed pictures
  • Quantum Processor 8K and 8K AI-upscaling bring lower quality images to the next level for a beautifully rendered picture every time

Last edited:

Zannegan

So where are our posters who are always shitting on RT now that AMD is going to have it too? LOL
I mean, are you talking RT as a concept or RTX as an implementation? I think you can be interested in one without being a fan of the other (for price, current gen limitations, or whathaveyou).

Edit: not that I have a horse in this race, yet.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
For people who argue that RT cores are a waste of silicon, what's your opinion about VCE/UVD/TMUs/ROPs? Aren't those fixed-function circuitry as well?
Not a waste of silicon and they can be effective at reducing power consumption while delivering RT in real-time (look at the PVR RT pdf I posted earlier in this thread, all sorts of neat power efficiency savings :)). With that said, I could flip the question and ask how do you feel about Universal Shader units vs split VS + PS ones?

There will be a day where maybe adding some smaller extensions to the shader cores and TMU’s (our GPU memory units ;)) will actually provide say 70-80% of the speed advantage... without being limited to a specific algorithm / acceleration structure and being flexible to reuse the shader units for other tasks.

If you could achieve that and have programmable shaders pure FP throughout 40-50% higher than a solution with lots of dedicated less reusable RT cores (your new solution would have such enhanced Shaders and TMU’s) and you still beat such solution at pure RT rendering by 10-15%, why would you do that?

meirl

Banned
Let us know if you guys are alive. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit : Damn, beaten by Ethomaz. Ahh well he forgot to add one member though.

Again, where does he say that he is using DEDICATED ray tracing hardware cores? No where. Why? Because they don’t. They just use the GPU. Every GPU could do ray tracing. Doesn’t mean anything.

The trick is to have DEDICATED ray tracing hardware core!l, which the next Xbox WILL do, whereas the PS5 Will NOT do.

meirl

Banned
After all the weird hater not believing it was hardware RT Sony had to confirm a second time.

It was clear it was hardware RT when they announced few months ago.

Again, where does he say that he is using DEDICATED ray tracing hardware cores? No where. Why? Because they don’t. They just use the GPU. Hence „accelerated“ by the GPU, and not dedicated hardware cores for ray tracing.
Every GPU could do ray tracing. Doesn’t mean anything.

The trick is to have DEDICATED ray tracing hardware core!l, which the next Xbox WILL do, whereas the PS5 Will NOT do.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Again, where does he say that he is using DEDICATED ray tracing hardware cores? No where. Why? Because they don’t. They just use the GPU. Hence „accelerated“ by the GPU, and not dedicated hardware cores for ray tracing.

yOu Do noT know ThAt :p. The reason they clarified is because when, in the beginning they stated the normal “GPU supports raytracing” they thought it was obvious it had dedicated HW resources for it... people decided to misunderstand and now they clarified saying that the GPU provides HW acceleration for it.

Running it in software on compute shaders does not qualify for having HW acceleration for it.

At this point you are choosing to believe vague statements, retracted as that original Gears5 dev post was apparently removed, over direct statements. They could come out and say “we have dedicated RT HW cores” and likely they would get from you a “just redefining their norms shader ALU’s as RT HW cores as they are HW units too and they must be running ray tracing code in shaders... cheats!!!”.

The exact quote is that he says there is raytracing acceleration in the hardware.

To be honest, that could mean a lot of things.

My two cents is that if you're going to release a console at $500 / £500, with 16GB RAM, that SSD, that CPU and GPU, that controller, and all the other bells and whistles, you're not going to be getting god-level raytracing.

However, I think what Sony will be providing and what developers will do with it will be good and enough, and noticeable. Just don't expect night and day differences.

DelireMan7

Hum... Bluepoint is working on a big PS5 title...

I am not really into new console/device but more in games. MGS2 made me buy a PS2, MGS4 a PS3 and Bloodborne a PS4.

If the Bluepoint's title end up being the long rumoured/fantasized Demon's Souls remake, it might be the game which make me buy a PS5.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
Leave it to Lort to shit on positive PS5 news :messenger_tears_of_joy: . It must really bother you that they confirmed HW RT doesn't it?

Exactly what is the positive news?

Do you mean copying everything the xbox dashboard does is now positive? Just checking because that would be an interesting turnaround lol

or do you mean copying the way xbox controller can be wired or wireless

... honest question

Darius87

RT cores/transistors are in GPU so therefore it's called GPU accelerated, accelerated it just term that doesn't mean it won't have dedicated transistors only for RT calculations how these transistors implemented into GPU is another question it could be implemented with seperated RT cores or merged together with CU cores which would increase theyr size, and seperate RT cores increase GPU size also.
it's just different implementation into GPU, which one is better we will see.
Every GPU could do ray tracing. Doesn’t mean anything
and that's called software accelerated not hardware.

FranXico

RT cores/transistors are in GPU so therefore it's called GPU accelerated, accelerated it just term that doesn't mean it won't have dedicated transistors only for RT calculations how these transistors implemented into GPU is another question it could be implemented with seperated RT cores or merged together with CU cores which would increase theyr size, and seperate RT cores increase GPU size also.

it's just different implementation into GPU, which one is better we will see.

and that's called software accelerated not hardware.
They just don't let go. Impressive.

Reactions: TLZ

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was in Game today.

Borderlands 3 normal edition : £53!!! I was nearly sick
Borderlands 3 deluxe edition : £70!! I nearly had a hernia
Borderlands 3 super deluxe edition : £92!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had kittens right there in shop.
Season pass; £40.

even the bog standard+ season pass costs NINETY FUCKING QUID. If I wasn't buying it for a birthday present I would have walked the fuck out. I asked the woman in Game why it was so expensive, her answer? "yeah, well, all games are this expensive now. If you had have preordered it in store it would have only cost £47." Only £47.

Fuck game

/rant

OT : if the PS5 is launching next holiday, does that mean scarlett will launch in spring?
All games are this expensive now?
I paid £54.99 for Tekken 2
games have reduced during a generation but they always been about the same price

HolyTruth

Banned
Seriously, you are twisting wording that has been standard in tech for years: PS5 will have dedicated HW resources for RT, not sure what else they can say to avoid this concern “posting”...

WHERE did he say that they will have dedicated hardware cores for RT?
LITERALLY, everyone else always say that there are DEDICATED hardware cores, just look at nVidia for example:

"features with dedicated AI and ray tracing cores for the ultimate experience."

And MS Devs: ""but I’m definitely super excited about what the new hardware could do. Having dedicated ray-tracing hardware is huge."

Again, the word "dedicated" is KEY here. For PS5 cerny just said "ray-tracing acceleration in the GPU". Well, DUH, you could use anything to accelerate ray-tracing, that does NOT mean that there is hardware cores dedicated to do nothing, but ray-tracing.

Still dont know, why you guys don't get it?! Just think about it, if they would have had dedicated hardware cores just tracing they would should it loud AF right now from the highest mountain... like seriously, why wouldn't they? Everyone else does, if they have it... "accelerated" is just marketing bullshit, like this fake "checkerboard 4K" LOL

dogmod

Neo Member
.you may be able to install just a game’s multiplayer campaign, and leave the single-player campaign for later. Or install the whole thing and delete the single-player campaign when you have finished..

Thats a cool idea
Yeah it's so cool that Microsoft did it two years ago and pioneered the concept of intelligent delivery...

Oh but Sony said it yesterday lest we all forget Microsoft already implements this stuff...

7-3-2018_1-25-03_pm-copy-148919cc285e4ae9a554472ce1051932.png

Azurro

Banned
H HolyTruth you are just a troll at this point. Cerny stressed out in the article that since some people saw his statement in a bit of a vague way, that there is hardware support for ray tracing in the GPU. That's it, leave the fanboy console war crap to the side.

jonnyp

Really? Samsung BSing?

Best Buy Canada has 65" 8k tvs on sale for $5,000 cdn.

• 65” screen with real 8K HDR (7680 x 4320) resolution brings your movies, TV shows, games, and more to life with vibrant and detailed pictures
  • Quantum Processor 8K and 8K AI-upscaling bring lower quality images to the next level for a beautifully rendered picture every time

Yes, I found out about it right before I was going to pull the trigger on a 75" 8K Samsung for 3K US.

You can read more here

And watch it here:

Whitecrow

Banned

You are totally wrong mate.

If it just 'uses the GPU', it's a software implementation.
If they say 'hardware accelerated' it means that the hardware have built-in capabilities dedicated to that.

gifgaf

Booo same old boring 2 handed controller, I want Oculus Touch Style split awesomeness.
Although I would not want to get rid of the established Dual Shock design, there is something relaxing when using the Switch's Joy-Cons with my hands relaxed at each side of me in comparison to the normal 2 handed controller.

Last edited:

ZoneToo

Neo Member
- Official name is PlayStation 5
- Ray tracing support is hardware based
- New SSD will help boot times, loading times and streaming
- Controller has now adaptive triggers, haptic feedback, new speakers, USB Type-C

I like the idea of the trigger improvements especially for racing games but I can't believe they're doubling down on the fucking controller speaker :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ZoneToo

Neo Member
For me the speaker was a great and welcomed addition: surprised at how high quality it was actually.

What games used it best? maybe i just missed the games that implemented it well because i can only really remember GTAV using it as the police radio and that was just a bit off putting for me.

Top Bottom