• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So I just came across this.
DfEQLaQ.jpg

Pretty insane imho. Congrats to CD Projekt.

Source.

Also this:

Winners of the previous years according to the site:

2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004: Half-Life 2
2005: Resident Evil 4
2006: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007: Bioshock
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2012: The Walking Dead: The Game
2013: The Last of Us
2014: Dragon Age: Inquisition

UPDATE:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - 243

The Critics' Picks - 162

The Readers' Picks - 81

Fallout 4 - 54

The Critics' Picks - 38

The Readers' Picks - 16

Bloodborne - 30

The Critics' Picks - 22

The Readers' Picks - 8

leng jai

It's my GOTY but I'm surprised it is so far ahead of everything else when the controls and combat were so divisive. Fallout 4 being second is even more surprising.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
...Is there that many places to GIVE GOTY awards out?

I feel strongly no way or the other on this, but I have a feeling this number is including some really grasping crediable GOTY sources. Not saying lowering the number wouod be against Witcher's favor, and they deserve it in my eyes for how they treated customers, but the numbers given here almost sounds like they dug every site that gave a GOTY award out or something.

Well deserved.
Definitely the best game of 2015 for me.

In before people trying to downplay it or asking the credibility of each awards.

silva1991

Well deserved(the best and only western RPG that I actually loved and finished), but to be fair there were no competition after MGSV and FO4's disappointment and UC4 delay.

just like Bayonetta 2 in 2014 Bloodborne is way too niche to compete on GOTY awards.

LOL @ the 3 heads.

Lol, I just realized that.

It's my GOTY but I'm surprised it is so far ahead of everything else when the controls and combat were so divisive. Fallout 4 being second is even more surprising.

Those aspects don't seem to be too important to the gaming media at large. It's all about atmosphere and overall immersion.

The Witcher III is my third favorite game of the year despite its serviceable combat. And I'm all about good combat, which is a testament to how well The Wither III excels at everything else.

cheezcake

Not to mention a new standard for how to end a trilogy with a bang.

I think this is one of the most impressive things about the games, over however many hundreds of hours put into all three games, every single one of those endings is fantastic in its own way and a great closer to the series

Well deserved. Game of the generation for me and my new all time favorite. Such a soulful, brilliantly crafted, beautiful game.

Hope it wins 200+.

Braag

I've finished it twice all ready and I still feel like doing a 3rd playthrough, but I'm gonna hold off until Blood and Wine comes out. Amazing game and well deserved.

Sakura

I think it is a great game, and it is nice to see it getting so much attention over titles like Fallout 4 and MGSV. Hopefully more titles in the future will try to follow Witcher 3's example.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is the combat that bad? People seem split on the issue but how can a core mechanic being divisive lead to so many awards?

If someone (me) cares only about "gameplay" and nothing for story, should they bother?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It shows that the 200 GOTY awards TLOU gots was pretty insane.
Exactly 90 more awards than GTAV I said goddamn. Really neat to have a site that documents this stuff.

Is the combat that bad? People seem split on the issue but how can a core mechanic being divisive lead to so many awards?

If someone (me) cares only about "gameplay" and nothing for story, should they bother?
The claims that the combat is absolutely terrible at worst serviceable at best are quite exaggerated. It's not BB but is accomplishes the feel that you'd get if you were reading the books and fixed a ton of the issues that the Witcher 2 had with it's combat. You can find many build guides as well as in-depth tutorials that explain how invincibility frames work. It's a very story heavy game, very little of the content, (if any) doesn't have a story behind it.

The combat is serviceable.

If you care nothing for narrative, don't touch this game.

While it wasn't one of my favourite games of that year, I did have a decent time with it and completely understand why people would pick it. It does a lot, and most of it is done really well. It also seems to be doing a good job with its DLC, which it honestly didn't even need to do given the vast amount of content in the core game. Deserved props for CD Projekt.

Sakura

There is more to gameplay than combat.
For example a quest where you resolve it by talking the characters out of fighting, results in no combat, but it's still gameplay.

But if you literally don't care about anything other than how the fighting feels, then no, don't get it, because it is serviceable at best.

AniHawk

here's the only times an m-rated western game didn't get the majority of the awards:

2009: uncharted 2 (western-made, t-rating)
2005: resident evil 4 (japanese-made, m-rating)
2003: star wars: knights of the old republic (western-made, t-rating)

at least, going back to 2003. i would just have to assume that gta vice city got it in 2002.

Winners of the previous years according to the site:

2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004: Half-Life 2
2005: Resident Evil 4
2006: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007: Bioshock
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2012: The Walking Dead: The Game
2013: The Last of Us