• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 has won over 240 GOTY Awards so far.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's the game of dreams. We've come a long way.
Better comparison.
X0lpAy9.jpg

oti

Banned
Winners of the previous years according to the site:

2003: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
2004: Half-Life 2
2005: Resident Evil 4
2006: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2007: Bioshock
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2010: Red Dead Redemption
2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2012: The Walking Dead: The Game
2013: The Last of Us
2014: Dragon Age: Inquisition

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (aka a PERFECT GAME) got robbed.

maomaoIYP

Is the combat that bad? People seem split on the issue but how can a core mechanic being divisive lead to so many awards?

If someone (me) cares only about "gameplay" and nothing for story, should they bother?

The combat is frustratingly bad, and if you are a completionist like me, you will do shit tonnes of it. I knew what I was getting into especially since I hated Witcher 2 so I lowered the difficulty and still it frustrated me.

Spman2099

I am playing through Witcher 3 right now. It is a damn fine game. My game of the year is definitely Bloodborne. However, I have no problem admitting that Witcher 3 is a totally viable choice for game of the year.

Fallout 4 is another game I am playing right now. It very strongly does not deserve game of the year. It is solid enough, but I isn't in the same class as Witcher 3 or Bloodborne.

I wonder how many common elements we can find in these winners. For instance what are the age ratings, tone, main methods of interacting with the world? Heck, how many of these games have zombie-esque enemies?

Lanrutcon

The combat is frustratingly bad, and if you are a completionist like me, you will do shit tonnes of it. I knew what I was getting into especially since I hated Witcher 2 so I lowered the difficulty and still it frustrated me.

Ehhhh...it's not great, but frustratingly bad? isn't that being a tad overly dramatic? If it's annoying you so much then slap on some heavy armor, specialize in fast attacks and just twirly sword dance dance revolution through everything. Combat annoyed me until I got some Ursine armor, and then it became a non-issue (even the expansion fights).

_Clash_

Geralt's work is not done yet.

Needs to pull back some points and rob Bloodborne in the ultimate game of salt. GAF GOTY.

AniHawk

As did Bayonetta 2.

At least 2007 had a great lineup of games. There's no excuse for 2014.

2014 and 2012 was the media collectively throwing their hands in the air and asking around for any sorta well-received western-made game with a focus on story. like if it wasn't apparent before, it really should have been by then. i don't think telltale intentionally made what is the gaming equivalent of oscar-bait though. it just sort of worked in their favor that literally nothing else satisfied the same criteria that wins games awards every year.

Blitzhex

Well deserved. Witcher 3 and MH4U are tied in first place for me. I love both of em too much to put one above the other.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
There is more to gameplay than combat.
For example a quest where you resolve it by talking the characters out of fighting, results in no combat, but it's still gameplay.

But if you literally don't care about anything other than how the fighting feels, then no, don't get it, because it is serviceable at best.

I guess it would bug me because it's "serviceable" yet something mandatory at times. I personally dislike the Persona and Atelier games I've played simply because I hate the combat in both, but wouldn't mind playing them if they were visual novels or something else.

Combat is serviceable. Here are some random encounters for those asking how the gameplay looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhTJsQqDuk

Whenever I watch footage I just see Dragon's Dogma-ish combat which I didn't mind. I'm assuming it doesn't play like that, though, since people wouldn't be so down on it.

I wonder how many common elements we can find in these winners. For instance what are the age ratings, tone, main methods of interacting with the world? Heck, how many of these games have zombie-esque enemies?

RE4 is the only Japanese developed one.

Spman2099

The Witcher 3 needs to be played on the hardest setting. It becomes a game about preparation and precision at that point. It makes all the encounters really exciting.

maomaoIYP

Ehhhh...it's not great, but frustratingly bad? isn't that being a tad overly dramatic? If it's annoying you so much then slap on some heavy armor, specialize in fast attacks and just twirly sword dance dance revolution through everything. Combat annoyed me until I got some Ursine armor, and then it became a non-issue (even the expansion fights).

Yeah I found it frustratingly bad. I'm inclined to clear every marker on the map, so I end up doing way too many fights. I've only reached the area after you meet Yennefer, and it just got so frustrating I haven't been back in about a month. I don't have awesome twirly dance move that I see in gifs.

The main questline has be intrigued I must admit, but I'm a little OCD about sidequests and I always can't bring myself to do the main questlines until I've done every side mission. This is why open world games tend to do me in.

Whenever I watch footage I just see Dragon's Dogma-ish combat which I didn't mind. I'm assuming it doesn't play like that, though, since people wouldn't be so down on it.
This would be my GOT-forever if it played even remotely like Dragon's Dogma.

Haven't yet played TW3. Need to clear some games from the backlog before I pick it up. I'm impressed by a lot of what I've heard, but on the other hand I didn't enjoy the combat in TW2 and I feel like I've been spoiled by Souls and Dragon's Dogma, so I can't really tolerate bad combat in games any more.

What are the three heads supposed to represent?

Could be symbolic for the heads of Bloodborne, MGSV and Fallout 4?

What are the three heads supposed to represent?

The three runner-ups I guess.

Haven't yet played TW3. Need to clear some games from the backlog before I pick it up. I'm impressed by a lot of what I've heard, but on the other hand I didn't enjoy the combat in TW2 and I feel like I've been spoiled by Souls and Dragon's Dogma, so I can't really tolerate bad combat in games any more.

Forget those games exist before playing The Witcher III. If you cannot, don't touch it . I almost quit early on due to the combat and playing the game right after Bloodborne.

Crossing Eden

2014 and 2012 was the media collectively throwing their hands in the air and asking around for any sorta well-received western-made game with a focus on story. like if it wasn't apparent before, it really should have been by then. i don't think telltale intentionally made what is the gaming equivalent of oscar-bait though. it just sort of worked in their favor that literally nothing else satisfied the same criteria that wins games awards every year.
Or maybe those games had their own merits compared to the competition at the time. That list is incredibly varied aside from the fact that the majority are western made games, which shouldn't be an issue at all if the games are good. That and that incredibly talented studios have take first place multiple times.

GRaider81

I'm so conflicted about buying this for PC.

I played up to skellige on PS4 but once there I just couldn't be bothered with the in my view dull gameplay (combat specifically) plus performance issues.

I keep wanting to give it another chance with all the GOAT talk and to have it run properly on my good PC.

Have any similar gaffer's had a better time when playing on PC compared to console? I get the gameplay won't change though.

Lingitiz

I'm so conflicted about buying this for PC.

I played up to skellige on PS4 but once there I just couldn't be bothered with the in my view dull gameplay (combat specifically) plus performance issues.

I keep wanting to give it another chance with all the GOAT talk and to have it run properly on my good PC.

Have any similar gaffer's had a better time when playing on PC compared to console? I get the gameplay won't change though.

PS4 version pre-current patch was really bad IMO. Anytime fog entered a scene the framerate turned to shit. The swamps were horrible and it just made everything play more clunky and unsatisfying. After the current patch it is much better, but not perfect.

PC version looks amazing and is pretty optimized. Hairworks with the current options for it looks great and runs fine. If you have the option play it there. There are also some usability mods out there that you might like.

terrible

Banned
I'm only 30 hours into the Witcher 3 but I still think I liked Bloodborne more. That's just personal preference, the Witcher 3 has a lot going for it and deserves its praise. Fallout 4 was a complete bust to me though, I really didn't like it.

Octacamo

fallout 4 winning that much makes me sad....

and makes me believe that Bethesda as a developer is not going to change

prudislav

well i played on PC m+k wth "alternative" control option and love every second of it - the original control option felt weird , but the alternative is great .... no really sure how the game feel on gamepad on either of those setting, but i feel that the complains about combat are way exaggerated ...

Tommy DJ

The Witcher 3 needs to be played on the hardest setting. It becomes a game about preparation and precision at that point. It makes all the encounters really exciting.

I don't really get the preparation aspect. I've played it on Death March twice and I've found it extremely easy both times. You're nearly always you're using the same exact set of decoctions and potions because some are way better than others regardless of situation (i.e. Ekhidna + Archgriffin combination).

The strength of The Witcher 3's combat is all in Hearts of Stone so they're definitely learning. Which bodes well for Blood and Wine, especially since its much longer than Hearts of Stone which was already pretty long for such a cheap DLC. But the combat in the base game isn't particularly good, especially when most enemies have more or less the same attack patterns.

Despite the problems I have with the combat, the game still definitely deserves accolades for being an open world RPG that not only didn't go half ass with the actual RPG elements but attempted to fill every corner of the map with interesting and unique encounters. What completely baffles me is how Fallout 4, which has a completely dreadful plot, badly designed and written quests, and basically stripped all cRPG elements that we associate with the Fallout franchise, is beating Metal Gear Solid V or Bloodborne.

aravuus

I continue to be baffled by the amount of love Fallout 4 gets from the critics.

But yeah, Witcher 3 is pretty awesome. Still not sure how I feel about the gameplay and the main quest wasn't very interesting, but there are so many insanely intriguing side quests I can definitely call it one of my favorite games this year. I already bought the first DLC but I'll wait till the rest come out too and play them all one after the other.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
all hail geralt

witcher32016-01-0420-hauk6.jpg

Scipio

Funny how Bethesda keeps scoring so highly in these lists with Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout 4, while Fallout New Vegas, the far superior game, lists much higher.

AniHawk

including this year, we're at 13 games where we have a consensus

genre:
rpg: 6
third-person shooter: 2
fps: 2
horror: 2
action-adventure: 1

publisher:
take two: 3
bethesda: 3
scea: 2
valve: 1
telltale games: 1
cd projekt red: 1
capcom: 1
electronic arts: 1
lucasarts: 1

developer by region:
north america: 11
europe: 1
japan: 1

age rating:
m: 11
t: 2

platform:
multi-platform: 10
playstation exclusive: 2
pc exclusive: 1

Exentryk

The combat is quite fluid, but there are some issues with the sword play like long winded "fast attack" animations, inconsistent dodge, etc.

If you do decide to buy the game, get it on PC (and play with a controller). 60 fps, instant magic casting, and other stuff can make the combat feel a lot more fluid and responsive than on <30fps consoles.

I personally enjoy the combat, as I mainly play with a magic focussed character. I feel the frustrations mostly come from sword focused console users.

BashNasty

Huh. I don't feel nearly the amount of love for the Witcher 3 as many people apparently, I wish the moment to moment gameplay was better.

Regardless, I'll just keep loving Mario Maker, Bloodborne and Metal Gear.

silva1991

Yup, popular(usually western) games will always win most GOTYs regardless of whether the game is actually the best or not.

RE4 is the only Japanese game in there and that game's gameplay nature appeals to the mainstream western audience.

AniHawk

Or maybe those games had their own merits compared to the competition at the time. That list is incredibly varied aside from the fact that the majority are western made games, which shouldn't be an issue at all if the games are good. That and that incredibly talented studios have take first place multiple times.

i just don't think it's a particularly good representation of the video game industry. we have generally a lot of rpgs up on the list (almost one every other year), almost all western-made, and almost all with an m-rating. 2012 was the year journey came out. i'd at least go with that over telltale's game. the walking dead is a pretty bad game to tout as the best of the medium.

i remember calling dragon age inquisition in 2014 months before it was out, just based on the criteria these games always win on.

Chola

Banned
This 200+ awards thing never made sense to me
we need a proper award list from major outlets, I don't care what gamezrcool.co.nz has to say about bloodborne or fallout 4.

thuGG_pl

This 200+ awards thing never made sense to me
we need a proper award list from major outlets, I don't care what gamezrcool.co.nz has to say about bloodborne or fallout 4.

Well, you have the results, do the summary for major outlets.

Crossing Eden

i just don't think it's a particularly good representation of the video game industry. we have generally a lot of rpgs up on the list (almost one every other year), almost all western-made, and almost all with an m-rating. 2012 was the year journey came out. i'd at least go with that over telltale's game. the walking dead is a pretty bad game to tout as the best of the medium.

i remember calling dragon age inquisition in 2014 months before it was out, just based on the criteria these games always win on.
Yea but how similar are those rpgs? Witcher is absolutely nothing like DAI or Starwars. How similar are the FPS games? Half Life with it's physics based gameplay vs Fallout 3's sprawling open world vs Bioshock's intimate setting. RE4 with it's exploration and semi open setting vs Uncharted 2's set piece heavy campaign vs TLOU which has a ton of quiet moments and is much more grounded than both. There's a ton of variety that it's ridiculous to resent a conspiracy theory that we only like the same things or that the picks are too similar unless you heavily downplay just how different they are. Context is most definitely everything as well. Like new IP compared to drastically improved sequels like W3 or RE4.

wapplew

Yup, popular(usually western) games will always win most GOTYs regardless of whether the game is actually the best or not.

RE4 is the only Japanese game in there and that game's gameplay nature appeals to the mainstream western audience.

Those GOTY was picked by western website?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Personally, it was close between Bloodborne and TW3, but in the end The Witcher's amazing storytelling and world building took it ahead.

Surprised Fallout 4 has more votes than Bloodborne, MGSV is still a bit soured for me with all those repeating missions. Pillars deserves the MGSV spot IMO.

Great year for gaming overall, 2016 is looking just as good too..loving it!

Top Bottom