• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3: Official Gameplay Trailer

This is what I am getting at in these forums. Thanks for the feedback by the way, but why say the battle system is not the same. We need to regard the fact that both are 3rd person RPGs. In your opinion, which combat felt better? I just think TW combat is more visceral. There is an odd hit detection on the From games that I've seen in playthroughs. Maybe it's just me.

I remember Valve releasing a first-person RPG (forgot the name), and I felt the combat was a lot more fun than that on Skyrim.

I bought Dark Souls and The Witcher 2 for 360.

Combat in Dark Souls I think is what makes the game. Nothing more satisfying than dodging a critical hit or your sword or shield breaks in the middle of a fight but you come out on top. The next to no story in DS, no animation of NPC's not even moving lips is a serious downer though.

The Witcher 2 is the best of unexpected events from being robbed of all my equipment when I lost a drinking bet, Rewarded Gold armor after siding with a horned woman in the woods #insane, Answering questions about the battle of .......... for a special sword which you can read the answers from a book you buy in a market stand within the game, Letho's last meeting with you which was super epic and also knowing the story of the dragons you fighting or who they are. Magic moments make the Witcher 2 and combat is last but it does get better when you level up. Cut scene fight animation and bar fights was shit in W2.

Witcher 2 wants you to shout out its epicness, moral choices and paths taken to reach your conclusion. Dark Souls reminds me of the battles I fought all alone at 02:00 am, The countless deaths I suffered at the hands of the first Knight when I was knowing my way around the game and most importantly the satisfaction of ringing the tower bell after defeating a boss. Just the realization that you finally killed him and the weight lifted from your mind is amazing.

These two franchises will always be compared as RPG's and at the end of the day they both do their core aspects very well.

x37ztFb.gif
So fucking cool!!

foxtrot3d

Banned
What "level" is that? I am not comparing the things, I am talking about consistency. I already said my examples were intentionally extreme. If I was reading a book about early humans, cave men, and some of them were Asian, Some White, Some Indian, etc, it wouldn't be very internally consistent. The reasoning for them appearing that way wouldn't be rooted in facts or lore, it would literally just be

"Because diversity, that's why"

Which is silly.

This.

I don't disagree, but I do take issue when people say it's "fantasy" so their doesn't have to be racial diversity. Nothing says a fantasy world can't be all white, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it detracts my enjoyment since it's not realistic. Now, their doesn't have to be large racial diversity in the area of the game the story takes place in but a complete lack of acknowledgement of any other non-white race is just weird. It's same reason why I love LOTR but also have never been swept up in its world, absolutely no non-white race. As opposed to GoT which has large diversity, Westeros may be primarily white but you know other races exist and where. We may not have encountered any Asians yet but we know they are from Yi Ti in the far east.

Long story short, I'm not turned off by the lack of black people in TW seres, they are based off of novels which they have to stay true to at the end of the day. But, that doesn't mean I necessarily like it.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm happy that they've changed his fighting style to look more like the books describe it, with pirouettes for dodges and more momentum and centrifugal motion. He looked like a fool rolling around in the dirt all the time in Witcher 2.

I love how he follows through on some of his strikes. It's like a water dancer ending a swing on such a sweet and perfectly timed note.

UnrealEck

I can already see my fps taking a nose dive.
The prices for all the GPUs overall should drop right?

Depends on the prices of the new ones. Because Maxwell is already pretty competitively priced, I'm not banking on them getting a big price drop. I'm expecting a very small price drop.
It's probably going to depend on what AMD's new cards are priced at but I can't imagine them having a 970 competing card that's significantly cheaper.

I'm in a bugger of a spot because I need a new card and these games are coming out sooner than the new cards. I don't want to buy a 970 and have to sell it a few months down the line.

Yousefb

This looks like what I wanted Dragon Age Inquisition to be. Now I don't feel as bad about trading it in on Amazon lol

Loakum

Banned
so...my two Most Anticpated games this year will both tackle the subject of racism (The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain). It's gonna be interesting to see how they treat the touchy subject.

MartyStu

so...my two Most Anticpated games this year will both tackle the subject of racism (The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt, Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain). It's gonna be interesting to see how they treat the touchy subject.

Guaranteed: in no meaningful way.

Should probably wait for the game to come out before complaining like this.

The last time people had a big uproar over race in a game was The Order.... and it turned out one of the biggest characters in the game was Indian.

And there was STILL complaining.

There was a thread on this forum where someone complained that while the game has Indians, they weren't shown prominently in marketing material.

berzeli

Banned
It is always ugly to see how some people respond to the mildest form of snark when it is directed at something they like and takes aim at something they don't consider a problem. To question the lack of ethnic diversity isn't ridiculous in any way shape or form and to perceive it as such is ignorant at best.
Almost worse is the ignorance at display with regards to the actual history of the region in question, I'm just going to single out a single post but there are many in here who should either do some actual research or some serious soul-searching.

We all know that Poland is one of the most racially diverse areas ever. So games where the location is based on Poland should have tons upon tons of ethnic diversity.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a more recent source than this which was publicly available, so this comes with references to Soviet and doesn't really discuss the Roma and some other minorities (but the latter is sadly the norm): "Poland's Multicultural Heritage" (PDF)

"Although there are over 10 million Poles living abroad in distant parts like Chicago, Karaganda or Ealing, there are very few Poles living in the immediate border areas of neighbouring countries. Whatever one may wish to say about the political predicament of People's Poland, it is the first truly Polish national state in Polish History. This present state of affairs -of an exclusively Polish Poland -differs radically from the picture of Poland as it existed for more than a thousand years up to the Second World War. Historic Poland as distinct from the Poland of today, was a multinational state of vast proportions. At one time between the 15th and 17th centuries, it was absolutely larger than Russia and was not only the homeland of most of the Poles in Europe, but also the homeland of almost all the Ukrainians, Belorussians and Lithuanians, of several million Germans, and of the principal Jewish community in the world."

Edit:

Okay, I found one more recent, publicly available source discussing the Polish history
"Until the seventeenth century, it is important to note that the Commonwealth undeniably, stood proudly as one of the most tolerant nations of Europe, where people of disparate ethnic origins and religious faiths could find not only a home but a safe haven."

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
I'm in a bugger of a spot because I need a new card and these games are coming out sooner than the new cards. I don't want to buy a 970 and have to sell it a few months down the line.
My friend is in the same spot, I told him to wait for the new cards, I expected them to come out a little sooner. He's going to have to settle for paying a little more.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

The Witcher has always dealt with racism. Play 1-2 and you will have a pretty good idea of how TW3 will handle it.

Floridian

Unless there's a skyrim remaster coming later this year, I guess this will settle for my RPG of the year. I see the Rockstar influence in that trailer too.

Loakum

Banned
The Witcher has always dealt with racism. Play 1-2 and you will have a pretty good idea of how TW3 will handle it.

I'll play Witcher 1 and 2 when (if) they come on the PS4, but my guess is they'll treat it like the Lord of the Rings did. The species of Dwarfs. Elves, and Humans at odds with one another.

Älg

I don't disagree, but I do take issue when people say it's "fantasy" so their doesn't have to be racial diversity. Nothing says a fantasy world can't be all white, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it detracts my enjoyment since it's not realistic. Now, their doesn't have to be large racial diversity in the area of the game the story takes place in but a complete lack of acknowledgement of any other non-white race is just weird. It's same reason why I love LOTR but also have never been swept up in its world, absolutely no non-white race. As opposed to GoT which has large diversity, Westeros may be primarily white but you know other races exist and where. We may not have encountered any Asians yet but we know they are from Yi Ti in the far east.

Long story short, I'm not turned off by the lack of black people in TW seres, they are based off of novels which they have to stay true to at the end of the day. But, that doesn't mean I necessarily like it.

But the world in The Witcher works almost exactly as you described Game of Thrones. The games take place mostly in the Northern Kingdoms, which are based on medieval slavic countries, so there aren't many non-white characters. However, in the first game the main antagonist is from Zerrikania; and exotic land where people have darker skin. So it is absolutely acknowledged that there are other places in the world where people look and act differently. Maybe not to the same extent as in GoT, but it's still there, and if that is what your ability to immerse yourself in a world relies on there shouldn't be any issues.

I'll play Witcher 1 and 2 when (if) they come on the PS4, but my guess is they'll treat it like the Lord of the Rings did. The species of Dwarfs. Elves, and Humans at odds with one another.

It's actually more of a humans vs. the rest type of situation.

Dreez

Oohwee, definitely going the watch the world burn, have threesomes, ancient rituals route.

Game looks phenomenal!

GavinUK86

I wish they would redo the original Witcher but they said they're not. Definitely a rough game.

Xiao Hu

Me as a German I must say that it's wonderful to have so many talents in our neighborhood. The Poles have accomplished something beautiful in the last decade, very impressing!

phaze

It is always ugly to see how some people respond to the mildest form of snark when it is directed at something they like and takes aim at something they don't consider a problem. To question the lack of ethnic diversity isn't ridiculous in any way shape or form and to perceive it as such is ignorant at best.
Almost worse is the ignorance at display with regards to the actual history of the region in question, I'm just going to single out a single post but there are many in here who should either do some actual research or some serious soul-searching.

Unfortunately I couldn't find a more recent source than this which was publicly available, so this comes with references to Soviet and doesn't really discuss the Roma and some other minorities (but the latter is sadly the norm): "Poland's Multicultural Heritage" (PDF)

"Although there are over 10 million Poles living abroad in distant parts like Chicago, Karaganda or Ealing, there are very few Poles living in the immediate border areas of neighbouring countries. Whatever one may wish to say about the political predicament of People's Poland, it is the first truly Polish national state in Polish History. This present state of affairs -of an exclusively Polish Poland -differs radically from the picture of Poland as it existed for more than a thousand years up to the Second World War. Historic Poland as distinct from the Poland of today, was a multinational state of vast proportions. At one time between the 15th and 17th centuries, it was absolutely larger than Russia and was not only the homeland of most of the Poles in Europe, but also the homeland of almost all the Ukrainians, Belorussians and Lithuanians, of several million Germans, and of the principal Jewish community in the world."

Edit:

Okay, I found one more recent, publicly available source discussing the Polish history
"Until the seventeenth century, it is important to note that the Commonwealth undeniably, stood proudly as one of the most tolerant nations of Europe, where people of disparate ethnic origins and religious faiths could find not only a home but a safe haven."

Several million Germans ? The population of Poland in XVII century barely exceeded 10 mln at its peak and dropped of quickly after wars. That source is pretty bogus. Neither of those minorities were of visibly different race compared to Poes. The small Tatar minority was pretty much the only one to fit that bill. You have plenty of different nations in Witcher and in Nilfgaard you even have a country that consists of significant minorities. Even in that 15 minute gameplay this is sort of touched upon.

ironcreed

Banned
Oohwee, definitely going the watch the world burn, have threesomes, ancient rituals route.

Game looks phenomenal!

But going the dirty bastard route will likely end up panning out to be what seems to be the right and good choice at times anyway. That kind of moral ambiguity is such a strong point here and I love it.

WetTreeLeaf

Neo Member
The horses look really good, not on the Red Dead Redemption level but better than those creatures they call horses in DA:I and those dog like horses from Assassins Creed.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Älg;159614383 said:
But the world in The Witcher works almost exactly as you described Game of Thrones. The games take place mostly in the Northern Kingdoms, which are based on medieval slavic countries, so there aren't many non-white characters. However, in the first game the main antagonist is from Zerrikania; and exotic land where people have darker skin. So it is absolutely acknowledged that there are other places in the world where people look and act differently. Maybe not to the same extent as in GoT, but it's still there, and if that is what your ability to immerse yourself in a world relies on there shouldn't be any issues.

It's actually more of a humans vs. the rest type of situation.

Oh I know, I was speaking generally. Although, geography in TW series has always been a weird thing. The novels (as far as I know) have never really spelled out the geography and nations of the world. Off the top of my head I can barely remember anything besides the Northern Realms and Nilfgaard to the South.

....yeah? I don't know what you're trying to call me out on. All the Witcher games have had elves.

I was laughing specifically at the "even racism" line because they're touting it as this unbreakable taboo, but they hit it on the surface level like every other fantasy RPG does.
That's not true at all.

This isn't lol elven racism.

The Witcher series really delves into it and its a central plot point for many mainline characters and quests. One of the most important of all characters in Witcher 2, Iovreth, entire character arc revolves around racism.

And its not just har har humans hate elves cause they're different. There are deep lore reasons why there is so much animosity between races. Not to mention its not elven exclusive. Many elves despise humans and dwarves. Many dwarves hate men and elves.

You're comment doesn't represent how the series handles race relations

BigTnaples

The Witcher came first actually....

Yes. This is known...

That said, TW3 specifically will have some inspirations from the Game of Thrones TV adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire.

You think Charles Dance being Emperor in TW3 has nothing to do with his role as Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones and the developers being fans of the series? Because that's exactly why.

There will be tonalities/situations inspired by GoT/ASoIaF for certain.

I can't bloody wait. I missed out on the first 2 and no longer have my 360 to pick up 2 so I may have to just watch some videos of the previous 2 games to get caught up with the lore. I hate doing that, I'd much rather play them but don't have the means to ATM.

ironcreed

Banned
Yes. This is known...

That said, TW3 specifically will have some inspirations from the Game of Thrones TV adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire.

You think Charles Dance being Emperor in TW3 has nothing to do with his role as Tywin Lannister in Game of Thrones and the developers being fans of the series? Because that's exactly why.

I am more than okay with this.

Furyous

Can someone expound on the purpose of rituals in this game? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to sleeping with so many women in the game? Are there specific advantages to playing the game as a nice guy or jerk?

If you go around fighting and killing citizens, wouldn't that cause a plague to spread? I'll buy this game after walkthroughs come out so I can play this game the right way and achieve the best results. This is a game built for gamers like me that love the lengthy playtime value proposition of games rich in single player content.

That was unashamedly Red Dead Redemption style marketing but I ain't even mad. Looks like a really detailed, engrossing title that attempts to successfully combine the best parts of RPGs with dynamic open world gameplay which too often don't seem to come together correctly.

BigTnaples

So will we be able to swim undewater anywhere? Or just in closer/landlocked regions?

For instance, if I jump out after that wale, can I see the rest of it underwater? And if so, what underwater beasts await me?

untitled-1jzj3j.gif

RDreamer

Yes. This is known...

Possibly. They were already hitting that same vibe with Witcher 2 especially, though.

It's funny, I was having a conversation with someone the other day and we both came to the conclusion that HBO should follow up Game of Thrones with a Witcher TV series. It'd be a beyond perfect fit, I think.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can someone expound on the purpose of rituals in this game? Is there an advantage or disadvantage to sleeping with so many women in the game? Are there specific advantages to playing the game as a nice guy or jerk?

If you go around fighting and killing citizens, wouldn't that cause a plague to spread? I'll buy this game after walkthroughs come out so I can play this game the right way and achieve the best results. This is a game built for gamers like me that love the lengthy playtime value proposition of games rich in single player content.
You'd be missing out tbh. It's up to you to do it that way but the best part is seeing how your choices change the story and experiencing the consequences of your actions because there is no true good, just lesser evils.

Top Bottom