• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Patch 1.04 is out on pc

As expected the negative mipmap bias improves texture clarity across the board. Detail on everything can be seen clearer, further.

It looks good on screenshots, but texture flickering has noticeably increased too. I don't think just setting a negative lod bias can be considered an improvement.

Aight, found an old save and old screenshot and lined them up.

1.03 mipmap on left. 1.04 mipmap on right.

w1vcjsk.png

Did you do any ini tweaking to get these results?

shandy706

Great!!! /s

I just started taking screenshots with my freecam setup on 1.03......and they update the quality of foliage.

Time to start over, LOL

Doh!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Last two.

w1tcxc0.png

w2xpya8.png

What are your system specs? What resolution/frame rate are you running at?

I'm currently at max settings 1080/60, but considering halving the frames to up the visuals more.

i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
GTX 970
8GB RAM

Config tweaks to increase draw distance of grass and shadows. averaging 30 - 50 depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

It looks good on screenshots, but texture flickering has noticeably increased too. I don't think just setting a negative lod bias can be considered an improvement.

Yeah, this is the trade off. Fights with the AF so while it's clearer some people will notice more flickering and graininess to textures in motion. I'm quite happy with what they've done here, and if anybody wants to tweak it they can do so in the config file.

Even with the taller trees something just looks off to me from what I've seen.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Its probably just particular shots. Theres a huge variety of tree heights and types.

I was in a forest yesterday and was shocked how massive the trees in it were. We are talking giant in comparison to Geralt

Daingurse

Last two.

w1tcxc0.png

w2xpya8.png

i5 2500K @ 4.3GHz
GTX 970
8GB RAM

Config tweaks to increase draw distance of grass and shadows. averaging 30 - 50 depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

Yeah, this is the trade off. Fights with the AF so while it's clearer some people will notice more flickering and graininess to textures in motion. I'm quite happy with what they've done here, and if anybody wants to tweak it they can do so in the config file.

Are you only using the in-game AA solution Eatchildren, or something else? Your screens look way cleaner than my game. I know some people are using the Nvidia Driver FXAA, haven't tried it in this game yet though.

I'm not using any AA.

What the fuck, lol. Well, your screens look great.

Zomba13

Of course you are on 1.01. The game has been out less than a week. You realize consoles have certification process that PC doesn't right? It will ALWAYS take console players longer to get patches

Unless you have a shitty outsourced dev handle the PC version where you are many patches behind the console versions *cough*stillwaitingonthelatestMKXpatch*cough*.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you only using the in-game AA solution Eatchildren, or something else? Your screens look way cleaner than my game. I know some people are using the Nvidia Driver FXAA, haven't tried it in this game yet though.

I'm not using any AA.

teokrazia

So it's not just my impression: I still have the first armour and its chainmail now looks too 'fuzzy' to me, even disabling sharpening filter. :/

Excellent. I hope this improves things a bit. Actually, I was already pretty happy with my performance. I am bumping up to 1440 with my monitor tomorrow though so I'd like to see more impressions

Unless you have a shitty outsourced dev handle the PC version where you are many patches behind the console versions *cough*stillwaitingonthelatestMKXpatch*cough*.
To be fair, the game has had many patches, they just don't work.

OT: I'm probably going to pick this up soon during a sale. Has the text size fix made a noticeable difference? I play from my couch and that is one main issue from me buying it.

Kezen

Banned
Textures at a distance look indeed sharper but the trade off is that they exhibit more aliasing.

Games look great still.

etta

my hard graphic balls
New bug included in this patch as well. Foliage that moves (from the wind) now no longer moves when you approach it close up.

Also, do you need to have Sharpening enabled to low or high for the new texture rendering to be visible? Because I do not see any difference if Sharpening is turned off, and I hate sharpening, everything has a lot more aliasing all of the sudden, and the IQ no longer looks nice and soft.

This, by the way is on ultra textures. On high it seems to be -0.4.

Oh really, hmm. I wonder if I should use Ultra textures on my 2GB GTX 680. Last time I tried it, MSI Afterburner read about 1700-1800MB usage, so it might be safe to use on 2GB cards.

Valnen

I don't think CDPR gives a sh*t about consoles now, unfortunately. They made the game for PS4/XONE, got their money, and that's it.

The game is HORRIBLE in PS4, and there is no sign of an update, we're still on 1.01.

It's a little early to be saying things like this. We're talking about a developer that supports their games for years.

Rodin

Great improvements, wonder if they fixed the random crashes too. Hopefully in 1.05 they'll add SMAA and improve graphics/performances like with 1.04, but SMAA is needed imho.
Anyone tried to see if performances got better?

Even with the taller trees something just looks off to me from what I've seen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Like these?

Vashetti

Banned
I don't think CDPR gives a sh*t about consoles now, unfortunately. They made the game for PS4/XONE, got their money, and that's it.

The game is HORRIBLE in PS4, and there is no sign of an update, we're still on 1.01.

What are you even talking about? 1.02 is already out for select parts of Europe (it was a Europe specific patch relating to DLC) and 1.03 was submitted for certification last Wednesday, it should be released in a day or two.

Educate yourself.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Great improvements, wonder if they fixed the random crashes too. Hopefully in 1.05 they'll add SMAA and improve graphics/performances like with 1.04, but SMAA is needed imho.
Anyone tried to see if performances got better?

Like these?

Wow, those trees are so huge. Is Geralt a foot tall or something?

Skyzard

Banned
What did they do to textures?

Load up my game and by default textures are on LOW, when they were max.

Crank it up to ultra and I get some funky ass shimmering on the armour.

Can't just improve things? Got to mess with shit?

--ah I see, to improve the foliage. Fine.

j-wood

I still have the problem with the game randomly minimizing during a cutscene. When I bring it back up it resumes in a window. Then after the cutscene I press esc and it goes back to full screen.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Skyzard

Banned
How are you guys loading in 5 seconds? You mean just to the main menu? Because yeah that's fantastically fast...but loading the first save still takes like 15+ seconds for me and I'm on SSD too...maybe it depends on the area.

This shimmering is annoying though. Armour I can get used to...but straw roofs in the distance :/

Think I'll set textures to High for what seems like an in-between.

-Armour shimmering on high is actually not too bad, quite nice even.

Oh dear. Since this patch I'm getting graphic glitching on explosions which I never had before. Thanks for that CD Project Red, thanks.

EatChildren

How it now looks at 4K downsampled (which probably isn't too big of a difference from before.

w13run3.png

New bug included in this patch as well. Foliage that moves (from the wind) now no longer moves when you approach it close up.

Also, do you need to have Sharpening enabled to low or high for the new texture rendering to be visible? Because I do not see any difference if Sharpening is turned off, and I hate sharpening, everything has a lot more aliasing all of the sudden, and the IQ no longer looks nice and soft.

Hmm. I definitely don't have that bug. Checked it at the above screenshot. Foliage blowing in the wind continued to do so even with me on top of it.

Also no, you don't need sharpening set to anything. I've set it off.

How are you guys loading in 5 seconds? You mean just to the main menu? Because yeah that's fantastically fast...but loading the first save still takes like 15+ seconds for me and I'm on SSD too...maybe it depends on the area.

I don't think they're counting the dialogue part, which is just a disguised loading screen. I'm on a raid0 of SSDs and post-White Orchard my load times when loading my save for the first time are anywhere between 20 and 30 seconds and post-death load times are typically between 5 and 20 seconds.

Top Bottom