• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Patch 1.04 is out on pc

I hadn't crashed once during 25 hours of gameplay before the most recent patch, but the game has frozen twice in the last few hours since the game updated. Also had a few instances where the game would hang for 5-10 seconds before continuing.

AEREC

Anyone managed to stop the stuttering yet?

Mine runs at a pretty steady 60fps but when walking/riding around every few seconds there's an annoying stutter. Drops 4/5 frames every time.

Lower settings? I get 60fps with a barely noticeable stutter, but noticeable enough to drive me nuts, when everything is on Ultra. I put everything on high and the stutter is gone. After reintroducing settings back to ultra one by one it seems like Foliage distance may be the culprit...for me at least.

I don't know if it's this patch or something else, but I've been noticing some odd things with foliage now. When I walk over some bigger foliage it doesn't sway naturally but it gets squashed in a weird manner and the mesh seems to stretch. When using Aard's alternative mode all the foliage that is impacted streches REALLY unnaturally and then snap back into place. It's quite funny looking but I did not notice this before...

I saw this too, but I thought it was just because before the recent patch foliage was a lot blurrier and I just didnt see it

All in all I love how crisp foliage looks now at 1080p ultra

GavinUK86

I feel like this is the first time I've ever heard someone say this. Doesn't full screen with v-sync create a greater demand than borderless windowed?

Dunno. Games always run better fullscreen than borderless windowed.

Lower settings? I get 60fps with a barely noticeable stutter, but noticeable enough to drive me nuts, when everything is on Ultra. I put everything on high and the stutter is gone. After reintroducing settings back to ultra one by one it seems like Foliage distance may be the culprit...for me at least.

Don't fancy lowering settings from High on a 970.

Shredderi

I saw this too, but I thought it was just because before the recent patch foliage was a lot blurrier and I just didnt see it

All in all I love how crisp foliage looks now at 1080p ultra

Yep. Looks so good. At first I couldn't quite put my finger on why it seems to look better than before but this thread explained it well. But I'm sure that in my save the foliage interaction was more realistic before :D The way the foliage is bending and stretching when I walk over them is really weird.

AlStrong

That was apparently my most recent screenshot before 1.04 so it's what I picked to try to reproduce. Kind of a funny bug since it didn't completely break my game.

Vesemir jumped on an invisible horse very early in the game, rode into the ground, and got stuck and unresponsive. Loading a save didn't fix it. I was able to go into a building and trigger a cutscene to warp him out, though.

lol nice.

Blizzard

Banned
I seem to remember foliage distance being by far the biggest framerate killer for me on a PC that's a couple of years old, besides Hairworks.

I feel like this is the first time I've ever heard someone say this. Doesn't full screen with v-sync create a greater demand than borderless windowed?
If you're running Windows Aero, borderless windowed also uses vsync, plus compositing is going on as far as I'm aware (painting the game graphics onto the desktop).

If you're doing true fullscreen, Windows doesn't have to composit anything. I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if true fullscreen allows a little more efficient / lower-level control, too.

Not sure if its patch related but I am not getting saved video from Shadowplay when I use the Alt+F10 key.

It used to work, and I dont know if its because of something else or if its the patch.

lionpants

Inventory seems more sluggish with 1.04 when pressing RB/LB (I play with an XB1 controller) to move between pages.

My frame-rate also seems more inconsistent now. :( What was that setting called that they changed? I may change it back to what it was in 1.03.

Jord

Game was running fine all weekend, now it takes forever to load and is constantly freezing and stuttering. Have the Steam version so I can't roll back :-(

Blizzard

Banned
Game was running fine all weekend, now it takes forever to load and is constantly freezing and stuttering. Have the Steam version so I can't roll back :-(
This is one thing I don't like about Steam -- you can't opt out of patches unless you keep manual backups or run the executable manually, which I think only works for some games.

I seem to recall Aenea saying Witcher 3 was one of those games that you could run manually, at least. Skyrim used to be but then it was patched out.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so I turned the AA off and used FXAA, it look better now...and that's weird, did Nvidia improved their CP's FXAA or is FXAA just works better on HDTV than monitors?

Ah sweet I have shadow play working again

Seemed the new patch had reset my graphics to a borderless window and not full screen

Although it looks the same, it has to be full screen for shadow play to work

BizzyBum

so I turned the AA off and used FXAA, it look better now...and that's weird, did Nvidia improved their CP's FXAA or is FXAA just works better on HDTV than monitors?

I think it's just because as it stands currently the in-game AA is crap.

CSX

Installed patch, turned off AA.

Game runs at a much much smoother 30fps on a Titan X on 4K than before. I guess i can force FXAA through Nvidia Control Panel as well correct?

GavinUK86

You know what, after turning off blur, motion blur and DoF along with what I already had off, CA and vignette, the game looks so much more alive.

I hate how all modern games seem to rely on these silly effects.

BNGames

Posted my Patch 1.04 updated benchmark video testing my SLI GTX 980's at Ultra settings

https://youtu.be/u-j9s0O9LhA

PC Specs:
COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) - Overclocked to 4.3Ghz
(SLI) EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
(Shadowplay Dump Drive) SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
(OS Drive) SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

nothing about some players can't even play the game?

The game flash a black screen only

This happens when the game is trying to play a loading screen cutscene but it didn't start up for whatever reason. Just press space bar a bunch of times and you'll get in.

Top Bottom