• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PS4 patch 1.50 adds Pro support out now

dr_rus

Are you fucking kidding?

36823643563_71a0f84de1_o.jpg

On this shot the geometry seems to be in native 4K while trees are low res horizontally. I wonder if it actually does use CB to get to 4K from 1920x2160?

Pennywise

They said they would release it when it's done. What's interesting about it?

Nothing.
People expect like they're gonna hold it back for no reason at all.
It's a freaking patch.

Glad they did it, gonna dive back in one day.
Too bad there are so many damn games releasing soon.

dr_rus

The trees certainly don't look supersampled on the Pro here so whatever is going on it seems to omit the transparent textures - or likely textures in general. Edit: Actually, no, on a closer look they do look supersampled a bit - as you'd expect from doing 2X supersampling on one axis.

Yeah, "geometry rendering" with only geometry being boosted to 4K by checkerboarding seems like a good bet right now.

There's also this shot with something funky happening with shadow filtering:

Kinda imply that CB is working probably although I don't really remember how this filtering looked liked in TW3.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The trees certainly don't look supersampled on the Pro here so whatever is going on it seems to omit the transparent textures - or likely textures in general.

Yeah, "geometry rendering" with only geometry being boosted to 4K by checkerboarding seems like a good bet right now.

Geometry rendering doesn't use checkerboard but it does seem like the most likely candidate for what CDPR is doing here.

Tovarisc

This is how it works man. Gamers are impossible to please. Native 4k is a stretch. CB rendering does a wonderful job with less GPU cost. Should go that route.

FTFY

I'm beginning to think that after all it would've been better for CDPR to ignore that pro patch entirely.

Pretty much. I wonder how many demanding / being disappointed in lack of HDR even know what goes into implementing that into the game? I for sure don't know for sure, but keep seeing comments about it taking a lot time, effort and retooling here and there.

Like I said in the later post that you ignored, it does look noticeably sharper and cleaner, but it doesnt look any better as far as texture resolution, AF or any added features.. it just looks sharper.. either by increased resolution or some kind of Gravity Rush type solution.. looking at foliage it still looks very rough, but when you look at clean edges its noticeably crisp.

The fact that the patch is a measly 130mb suggest that nothing was added, just a pipeline change.

What about stability?

It seems to be running at a perfect 30 FPS.

Does that count for anything?

xion4360

What about stability?

It seems to be running at a perfect 30 FPS.

Does that count for anything?

It already ran perfectly on PRO with boost mode, so I cant say its an improvement. It does look nice and crisp at least so its not a downgrade in any way. There are some light drops that I noticed when I turned on motion blur, but that effect is so overdone its best to turn it off.

dr_rus

Geometry rendering doesn't use checkerboard but it does seem like the most likely candidate for what CDPR is doing here.

"Geometry rendering" is basically the same as checkerboarding but without the reconstruction filter running on color samples, only on the MSAAed high res Z buffer which stores geometry details only.

There's something wrong with your screenshots. The planks on the left look way more aliased in the Pro screenshot.

This is likely a result of supersampling running on top of native res sharpening. You'd generally want to disable or lower sharpening when doing supersampling.

Servbot24

Banned
Nice, gonna give this another go. I know I'm never going to get farther than 10 hours into this game, but I do at least enjoy seeing the sights every time I try.

Based on a few more runs of pixel counting, the res may actually be higher than my original estimation of 1800p. Don't have the greatest shots to work with, so I think I'm going to just leave it to the pros to figure it out :)

EDIT:

Just did a test on this shot:

and got 2160p

so anywhere between 1800p and 2160p is my best guess

this is the area I counted

Kx0cEuI.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"Geometry rendering" is basically the same as checkerboarding but without the reconstruction filter running on color samples, only on the MSAAed high res Z buffer which stores geometry details only.

Thanks for the correction! I didn't realize it was so similar.

It already ran perfectly on PRO with boost mode, so I cant say its an improvement. It does look nice and crisp at least so its not a downgrade in any way. There are some light drops that I noticed when I turned on motion blur, but that effect is so overdone its best to turn it off.

What about Blur? On or off?

Risev1

Reminds me of the bitching for the Dark Souls 1 PC Port. There was so much port begging then when it came and Durante subsequently fixed it, people still constantly shit on FROM as if they were the ones who had to fix it themselves.

If anyone deserved to be bothered at FROM, it was Durante lol.

That's not even remotely similar to this situation. FROM didn't offer Dark Souls to the PC playerbase out of the goodness of their hearts. They saw that there was enough demand for it there (hence profits) and thus released a pc version that was basically a port of the console versions when it comes to performance. It was locked at 30 fps, and the resolution was like 720p native. The moment they decide to charge for a product, criticism regarding a terrible port is fair game. Even with Durante's fix, the game still has a lot of issues running at 60 fps. For example, many jumps in the game are actually impossible at 60 fps, so you're more or less stuck playing the 30 fps version if you want to get the complete experience.

Let's also not forget the fact that Dark Souls 2 launched on PC with a broken 60 fps mode that doubled weapon durability damage and halved i-frames during rolling. They never even fixed or acknowledged the issue until they released Scholar of the First Sin like a year later. They only fixed it to sell the new version.

I love From as much as the next guy, but let's not pretend for a second that they don't deserve a lot of criticism for how they treated PC gamers with the first and second Dark Souls.

JP

I used to run this with the blur set to on as I felt it actually helped when playng it at the lower resolution but having tried the update I've switched it off and it's razor sharp.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So this is all resolution and textures, not HDR?

Resolution and further performance improvement are confirmed, textures maybe looking at above pics, but maybe the higher resolution just makes the art look clearer, can't say.

No HDR or 60 FPS mode.

I'm sure DF will get on this more but it seems like CA is heavily reduced

crop2ogheuyk.png
crop2proa1up8.png

Hallelujah. CA is an atrocious visual effect that needs to die.

I'm sure DF will get on this more but it seems like CA is heavily reduced

crop2ogheuyk.png
crop2proa1up8.png
The game had a CA which was not dependent upon screen szie and was not resolution-agnostic. So it did not scale via grid, making its effect lessend when resolution increased. Lot's of games scale post processing “incorrectly“ with resolution like tw3. Same problem with UI sometimes.

epmode

That's not even remotely similar to this situation. FROM didn't offer Dark Souls to the PC playerbase out of the goodness of their hearts. They saw that there was enough demand for it there (hence profits) and thus released a pc version that was basically a port of the console versions when it comes to performance. It was locked at 30 fps, and the resolution was like 720p native. The moment they decide to charge for a product, criticism regarding a terrible port is fair game. Even with Durante's fix, the game still has a lot of issues running at 60 fps. For example, many jumps in the game are actually impossible at 60 fps, so you're more or less stuck playing the 30 fps version if you want to get the complete experience.

Your points are valid and the Dark Souls port was very disappointing, I just wanted to mention that Durante's mod makes it possible to switch between 30 and 60 FPS with a single button press. 60 FPS is fine 99.8% of the time.

nOoblet16

On this shot the geometry seems to be in native 4K while trees are low res horizontally. I wonder if it actually does use CB to get to 4K from 1920x2160?

I bet this is using 4K geometry rendering. Would explain why the foliage and distant trees don't look 4K because it's alpha and billboard texture and not geometry.

Can't be me just noticing the better looking textures on the Pro shot, right? On the wooden planks and ground. Definitely more crisp.

By product of higher resolution.
It's a 130MB patch, you aren't getting higher resolution textures in that.

The game had a CA which was not dependent upon screen szie and was not resolution-agnostic. So it did not scale via grid, making its effect lessend when resolution increased. Lot's of games scale post processing ”incorrectly” with resolution like tw3. Same problem with UI sometimes.

I hope more games process CA incorrectly.

epmode

It's nice to know developers are getting message about this dumb shit.

I don't think it's so much a developer getting the message as CDPR's implementation scaling differently at different resolutions. It just happens to work out that it's less pronounced at 4K.

I turn off CA every time I'm given the opportunity unless it's a good implementation that only appears when it makes sense (hit effects, simulating old screens, etc).

kuYuri

Or working on nothing articles about a trailer for a popular game to gain clicks

You sound salty af.

Maybe leave DF some comments that you didn't like that article, maybe you'll counter balance all the other people who wanted DF's opinions on that trailer for a popular game.

I feel the game is already showing its age with the visuals, so it's nice to see it get this update. I'm especially curious how it's going to fare on the One X, though I don't expect much of a deviation from the Pro version.

killroy87

Seems like a pretty minimal upgrade. Knowing the Pro wouldn’t be able to push a massive resolution boost, I was hoping for HDR more than anything, so this is a bit disappointing.

Top Bottom