• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PS4 patch 1.50 adds Pro support out now

Would 1080p @ 60fps be unrealistic for the Scorpio?

Just wondering...

I have this game on both the Pro and the XBOX.

Considering that Tomb Raider was 1080p/30 on X1 and is now running at a solid 1080p/60 on the X, and the Witcher 3 is only 900p to begin with on X1, there's actually a chance. Just depends on how hard it was hitting the CPU.

But since CDPR seems to be doing the bare minimum for this 4k patch, i doubt they'd add a high framerate mode just for the X.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ita not just me but there are definite performance drops now where there wasn't before. On boost mode it was pretty much a 30fps lock. Whilst it looks much better now it doesn't hold its frame rate nearly as much I find.

Auuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhhh

coastel

^As close as possible to PS4 equivalent settings.

Thanks will have to compare later.

Just had a quick try of the update. It put the ps4 pro in jet engine mode so it must be working harder, not sure if it was like that before as it's been a long time since finishing the game.

bryanee

Considering that Tomb Raider was 1080p/30 on X1 and is now running at a solid 1080p/60 on the X, and the Witcher 3 is only 900p to begin with on X1, there's actually a chance. Just depends on how hard it was hitting the CPU.

But since CDPR seems to be doing the bare minimum for this 4k patch, i doubt they'd add a high framerate mode just for the X.

The Witcher 3 is a much bigger game than Tomb Raider.

Anarion07

Just took a screenshot pre-patch and post-patch.

Comparing them in the screen gallery i noticed something:

When you switch to a 4k screen, first its really low res, then bumped up to 1080p, then 4k. happens in under a second, of course.

But comparing the 1080p screen to the 4k screen and switching back and forth, the "pre"4k 1080p screen looks almost identical to the unpatched 1080p screen.

Just a fun fact i guess.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

the CPU will not allow this.

onQ123

Ah was wondering if that would happen.

Wouldn't be the first time CDPR promised better performance but actually made things worse patching this game.

CDPR can't account for boost mode because that was done by the PS4 Pro hardware & not their game code so when they say better performance they are talking about vs the game in base mode.

It's not 4K. Only the geometry is being rendered in 4K while pixel shaders (textures, shadows, etc) are likely running at 1920x2160.

Still making me feel like Capcom could have done more with a last gen game when this patch only took less than 150 MB

CDPR can't account for boost mode because that was done by the PS4 Pro hardware & not their game code so when they say better performance they are talking about vs the game in base mode.

Thats a good point I suppose. But either way its still disappointing that the game is now performing worse than it did before in boost mode.

There are minor drops now more or less everywhere. I steady camera pan will pick up drops in the majority of areas. To my knowledge this never happened in boost mode at all.

Is it supersampling if you play on a 1080p set?

a5uzEmx.gif

dr_rus

so its geometry rendering? no framebuffer increase?

Looks like so although I'm not sure why you think that there's no frame buffer increase with "geometry rendering". This is likely rendering in 1920x2160 with Z-buffer being full 4K. But that's just my speculation.

Davide

Just had a quick try of the update. It put the ps4 pro in jet engine mode so it must be working harder, not sure if it was like that before as it's been a long time since finishing the game.
:/

I was really hyped for the patch for a while but eh. I was happy the game was so quiet on my Pro and I only have a 1080p TV. I was hoping for a 1080p enhanced mode.

Um...I stopped playing this a few months back because of the patch announcement. Is this it, I really can't tell a difference.

coastel

:/

I was really hyped for the patch for a while but eh. I was happy the game was so quiet on my Pro and I only have a 1080p TV. I was hoping for a 1080p enhanced mode.

Yea not all Pro's have the jet engine problem, I take it yours does aswell. Yea I didn't even think of a 1080p enhanced mode I just know there's no way it's hitting 60fps though.

thelastword

Banned
Not seeing this on a proper screen right now, but if this is geometry rendering. It was the easiest and simplest method of doing a pro patch (few days tops). Why not CBR?...Are we sure this is not Temporal Injection?

We already have plenty of data on how much W3 uses the CPU. In areas like Novigrad the game will be very CPU limited at higher resolutions. 4K/60 is a pipe dream.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
We already have plenty of data on how much W3 uses the CPU. In areas like Novigrad the game will be very CPU limited at higher resolutions. 4K/60 is a pipe dream.
No way is PS4 pro or even XB1X doing 4k 60 lol. Xb1x would probably struggle at 1080p 60. Its gpu might manage 4K but since the cpu is still a junk jaguar it won't be able to handle 60fps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just tried the patch on my 1080p Pro.

My system fans now run very loud (only other game that makes the system this loud is Mafia 3, and I've played more than 20 Pro enhanced games on this system), and now there are frame drops everywhere.

WTF. Give me back my non-patched version that ran at a rock solid 30fps under boost mode with zero fan noise.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Only got about 15 minutes to play over break but with 1.51 @ 1080p, I experienced no slowdown near the windmill area where you battle the griffon. No fan noise either.

Jacob4815

Just tried the patch on my 1080p Pro.

My system fans now run very loud (only other game that makes the system this loud is Mafia 3, and I've played more than 20 Pro enhanced games on this system), and now there are frame drops everywhere.

WTF. Give me back my non-patched version that ran at a rock solid 30fps under boost mode with zero fan noise.

It works fine to me (1080p), no frame drops and no loudly fan at all.

Try reinstalling.

No way is PS4 pro or even XB1X doing 4k 60 lol. Xb1x would probably struggle at 1080p 60. Its gpu might manage 4K but since the cpu is still a junk jaguar it won't be able to handle 60fps.

Oof, yeah I meant 1080p/60 is a pipe dream. I could barely hold 60 on an OC'd i5/970 and it would still drop into the 50s in Novigrad.

It works fine to me (1080p), no frame drops and no loudly fan at all.

Try reinstalling.

The frame drops are there, thats not open for debate. Am sure DF will confirm this at a later date. If your not noticing them then thats perfectly fine, but it is a regression in terms of performance.

Foxxsoxx

The frame drops are there, thats not open for debate. Am sure DF will confirm this at a later date. If your not noticing them then thats perfectly fine, but it is a regression in terms of performance.

Maybe it's affecting your system differently? I wouldn't say it isn't open for debate...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Do you have blur and motion blur enabled or disabled ? Not sure if that makes a difference at this point but when the console version was first launched, turning those off yielded a slight performance increase.

BeeDog

Goddamnit, please don't regress when it comes to performance. I'd rather throw this patch the hell away if it tanks the performance I had with the previous patch.

Do you have blur and motion blur enabled or disabled ? Not sure if that makes a difference at this point but when the console version was first launched, turning those off yielded a slight performance increase.

Both disabled. Don't get me wrong, the drops aren't severe or anything. Its likely dropping to like 28 or 29FPS and it just looks like a slight stutter. But it is common where it was totally gone on a Pro in Boost mode.

The game was pretty damn solid on base PS4 by the time they stopped regularly patching it.

Even in the bog area they finally sorted it out and the game only dropped when stuff really got heavy.

If the Pro patch is worse then base I wouldnt be shocked. Its happened with other games and like I said CDPR have kind of a history of slightly breaking something every time they patched this game that needed another patch to fix (that broke something new somehow)

We will have to wait for a DF analysis I suppose. I do hoe its good. Blood and Wine has been on my backlog and this would be as good a excuse as any to jump back.

Also I wonder if the framerate issues people be reporting actually be frame pacing?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Both disabled. Don't get me wrong, the drops aren't severe or anything. Its likely dropping to like 28 or 29FPS and it just looks like a slight stutter. But it is common where it was totally gone on a Pro in Boost mode.

Oh. You had me scared that we're seeing drops to 20's or something. That's.. not that bad at all if the worse you're seeing is 2FPS. Honestly I'm perfectly happy with those results at the boost to the image quality we're seeing. Even then, there's mixed responses, some users aren't getting any performance issues at all.

Here's hoping either DF or NXGamer do a video and frame rate analysis on it soon.

Necron

This is why we can't have nice things.

CDPR says they aren't going to do a patch because they have moved onto other games.

Decides to do a patch anyway for the fans.

Instant bitching about "no HDR, Native 4K with 60fps mode?!?"

God I hate the internet and gaming culture sometimes.

Basically this. Can't we just be happy for once?

Now, where is my Witcher 3 VR support...

thelastword

Banned
Oof, yeah I meant 1080p/60 is a pipe dream. I could barely hold 60 on an OC'd i5/970 and it would still drop into the 50s in Novigrad.
With hairworks off? I think both consoles can do 1080p 60fps with some graphical features at med. Witcher is more gpu bound than cpu.

AmyS

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-10-04-the-witcher-3-ps4-pro-update-has-arrived

The Witcher 3 PS4 Pro patch has just arrived, adding 4K resolution support and a "slight" boost to performance. It took longer than "just a few days" after all.

"Yes, the game has just received an upgrade patch, enabling it to take advantage of the additional power offered by the PS4 Pro," CD Projekt Red told me. "When playing the game on a PS4 Pro system, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and all its additional content feature support for 4K resolution and a slight boost to performance."

Update 1.50 is small but only checks for 20GB storage space so don't be scared. The sum total of the changes are 'PS4 Pro Support'. Update 1.51 has been whipped out since, to fix 'stability issues'.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-ps4-pro-patch-out-now-adds-4k-suppor/1100-6453781/

Top Bottom