• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 PS4 patch 1.50 adds Pro support out now

I'm beginning to think that after all it would've been better for CDPR to ignore that pro patch entirely.
nMbArrM.gif

Md Ray

Just tried the patch on my 1080p Pro.

My system fans now run very loud (only other game that makes the system this loud is Mafia 3, and I've played more than 20 Pro enhanced games on this system), and now there are frame drops everywhere.

WTF. Give me back my non-patched version that ran at a rock solid 30fps under boost mode with zero fan noise.

Yep, looks like this resolution boost is maxing out the Pro's GPU beyond 100% now, which otherwise didn't when running the game in boost mode without the patch.

With hairworks off? I think both consoles can do 1080p 60fps with some graphical features at med. Witcher is more gpu bound than cpu.

It is more gpu bound- unless you are in Novigrad. Novigrad is a huge CPU hog. People just didn't realize it on initial release because most don't go to Novigrad until really far into the game so most benchmarks don't show it.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Holy fuck people. You moan and moan for Pro 4k support then when they give you it (a full month before people expected it no less) people are crying about a frame or two performance blip.

I for one am grateful to the developers for their hard work. Also thank you to Phil Spencer, because without him pushing for an Xbox X patch, we wouldn’t have a Pro patch 👊

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What you talking bout Willis

what-you-talkin-bout-willis.jpg%3Fw%3D549

I thought the same thing... but in a way, they are correct. What happens when the GPU is maxxed out and the game wants more GPU than what is available (it wants more than 100%)... you get frame drops.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In case this was still a question, veteran users at beyond3d are confirming Witcher 3 is rendering at native 4K (3840x2160) on both vertical and horizontal access. No mention of dynamic res. Corroborating GAF user Karspankey's pixel count earlier.

Also, one user commented that CA has possibly been taken out entirely. Which is good.

Source

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Holy fuck people. You moan and moan for Pro 4k support then when they give you it (a full month before people expected it no less) people are crying about a frame or two performance blip.

I for one am grateful to the developers for their hard work.

Hey now-

I didn't ask for this. I didn't want it. Now the game makes my console sound like a jet engine and my frame rate is worse.

I just want the game to work like it did before.

This isn't the first time that a developer has done this to a perfectly functioning game.

They REALLY need to give people the option to turn off 4k mode if they don't want it.

g11

Damn, I guess I'll just run this unpatched for the time being. Even if the hit to frame rate is only 1-2fps, if it's causing a fairly consistent stuttering, that's way more of a big deal to me than supersampling on my 1080p TV.

It's things like this that really make me wish Sony (and I guess MS too? I'm not really sure if they do or not.) let you roll back patches, though I guess that wouldn't work since most games update save files now once you patch and that would ruin your save data to then roll back the patch. At the very least give the option to disable updates on a per game basis. I get why they don't, but it really sucks in cases like this.

They dont need to give the option to roll back patches. They just need to give choice to the user about where they want priorities to lie. 1080p and a total lock on 30FPS or 4K with minor dips. Its not really a lot to ask or expect in this day and age.

Dovahking

In case this was still a question, veteran users at beyond3d are confirming Witcher 3 is rendering at native 4K (3840x2160) on both vertical and horizontal access. No mention of dynamic res. Corroborating GAF user Karspankey's pixel count earlier.

Also, one user commented that CA has possibly been taken out entirely. Which is good.

Source

Impressive.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
They dont need to give the option to roll back patches. They just need to give choice to the user about where they want priorities to lie. 1080p and a total lock on 30FPS or 4K with minor dips. Its not really a lot to ask or expect in this day and age.

Exactly.

This was a big problem with Mass Effect Andromeda when it came out. I'm using a Pro at 1080p, and the game ran much worse than it did on a regular PS4. All I wanted to do was disable the Pro "enhancements" so I could get a stable frame rate.

Only increased resolution? That's it? No increased draw distances, LOD, shadows or other things? No 1080p Enriched mode like in ROTTR?
I expacted more tbh.

BigDug13

CDPR can't account for boost mode because that was done by the PS4 Pro hardware & not their game code so when they say better performance they are talking about vs the game in base mode.

Which is exactly why I've been saying from day 1 that Sony should have a systemwide option that forces the Pro to play the game like a baseline PS4 but with boost option. So tired of SUB-30 games for the sake of resolution.

Only increased resolution? That's it? No increased draw distances, LOD, shadows or other things? No 1080p Enriched mode like in ROTTR?
I expacted more tbh.

Probably best to get an X if you are after that in every game. Surprised the pro can do 4K native on this game. Nice job CDPR!

adamsapple

Probably best to get an X if you are after that in every game. Surprised the pro can do 4K native on this game. Nice job CDPR!

Yeah, was expecting 1440p at most. Plenty of companies can't get their last-gen remasters to 4K and we have CDPR bringing a complex game like TW3 to native 4K. Good stuff.

belvedere

Junior Butler

Source

Impressive as hell. And I was prepared to be happy with 1800p.

Source

Ayyyyy, that's good stuff! Got distracted and forgot to pixel count the other axis :pP

Yeah, was expecting 1440p at most. Plenty of companies can't get their last-gen remasters to 4K and we have CDPR bringing a complex game like TW3 to native 4K. Good stuff.

These are the guys who got witcher 2 running on 360! They have naughty dog levels of optimization imo.

Wow. If this is true Native 4K then CDProjekt made an astounding job. I really wish they would also offer a maxed out 1080p (without NVidia Gameworks) with the likes ROTTR, For Honor and others. I am sure CDProjekt are really capable of doing it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Which is exactly why I've been saying from day 1 that Sony should have a systemwide option that forces the Pro to play the game like a baseline PS4 but with boost option. So tired of SUB-30 games for the sake of resolution.

that's not possible as all devs have complete control to their software, and "forcing" another option would cause problems the devs cant account for

If it's confirmed the native 4k patch introduces frame drops, then the discussion turns to whether they should have opted for a checkeboard solution.

Which of course would lead to people bitching that it should have been native 4k and CDPR is incompetent/lazy/MS conspiracy plot.

Risev1

If it's confirmed the native 4k patch introduces frame drops, then the discussion turns to whether they should have opted for a checkeboard solution.

Which of course would lead to people bitching that it should have been native 4k and CDPR is incompetent/lazy/MS conspiracy plot.

The simple solution I could think of (in case native 4k introduced performance issues) is to just offer a toggle for whether or not you want to enable pro support.

I don't think people really expected it to be 4k to be honest. I think everyone would be happy with 1440p and more extras.

cheezcake

Maybe I just don't understand how CB works but isn't the point that you're still getting a full pixel count it's just rendered in an interlaced fashion?

So you would have to take two subsequent frames and see if exactly half the pixels stay the same to actually tell if its native 4k or CB.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hey now-

I didn't ask for this. I didn't want it. Now the game makes my console sound like a jet engine and my frame rate is worse.

I just want the game to work like it did before.

This isn't the first time that a developer has done this to a perfectly functioning game.

They REALLY need to give people the option to turn off 4k mode if they don't want it.
you should be able to do that by selecting 1080p output on your PS4. This worked for The Last Guardian.

adamsapple

NXGamer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhIckJf6VrI

- Performance is pretty much the same. Still gets some very minor dips under 30 FPS but nothing notable.
- Native 4K (NXGamer thinks there *might* be some dynamic scaling)
- Signs of Checker Board Rendering. Likely half width 1920 and full height 2160. But it could also be another method being employed.
- Regardless, the difference is stark compared to 1080p.

Seems like NXGamer can't nail down exactly if it's native or CB (great either way) and confirms the performance is still about the same as before. Based on the visual graph during the video, it seems to stay in the 29.8~ FPS range during combat and city traversal.

HeeHo

Glad I'll get to play the majority of the game like this now. I waited on the game for so long for some reason. First it was because i wanted to play the game on an SSD and then it was because of this incoming patch. I have played plenty of the game, I just got too absorbed in sidequests that I got practically nowhere in the actual story. I actually played and beat The Witcher 2 on the 360 in anticipation for W3 funnily enough.

I really enjoyed the graphical enhancements in Shadow of Mordor for 1080p TVs. I'm sure the patch isn't going to be perfect. Maybe they'll add in options for those bothered by a slight framerate difference. Personally, I really enjoyed supersampling in Mordor and was peeved when they took it out of The Last of Us. I'll take an occasional dip if the game looks a lot better.

Inuhanyou

native 4K is really impressive, i didn't expect that for this game...XB1 is dynamic with dips down to 900p after all...i had gotten the sense that PS4 was just barely making it to 1080p, i guess that's not the case.

NXGamer video:

- Performance is pretty much the same. Still gets some very minor dips under 30 FPS but nothing notable.
- Signs of Checker Boarding Rendering. Likely half width 1920 and full height 2160
- Difference is stark compared to 1080p.
Looks great.

I ended up LTTP with Witcher 3 but had the benefit of multiple patches and UI changes by then, and had zero performance issues throughout.

Was holding back on playing through all the DLC until this hit, so looks like that world is going to suck me back in for a while again. Great stuff and kudos to NXGamer for getting a video up so quickly.

black070

NXGamer video:

- Signs of Checker Board Rendering. Likely half width 1920 and full height 2160. But it could also be another method being employed.
- Regardless, the difference is stark compared to 1080p.

Seems like NXGamer can't nail down exactly if it's native or CB (great either way) and confirms the performance is still about the same as before. Based on the visual graph during the video, it seems to stay in the 29.8~ FPS range during combat and city traversal.

Was only expecting 1440p in all honesty so this is really good news !

cakely

Link to NXGamer video.

He has the game footrage running with a framerate counter in the upper right corner.

Basically ... locked at 30. Rare dips to 29, the lowest the average framerate gets to is 29.76. He also does a run through Novigrad.

Really solid performance, some of you people had me worried.

Inuhanyou

so is it native 4K or "dynamic resolution checkerboard 4K"? I would assume you could tell the difference

BigEmil

Normal PS4 Witcher 3 on latest patch was already stable 30fps 98% of the time so Pro performance similar or better is good

Top Bottom