• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Witcher 3' Story Mod Stirs Controversy Over AI-Generated Voice Acting

Guilty_AI

then my opinion is that if you want to make money with your project , you will have to pay the guy (or a license to use his voice if we go there)
Lets use a more complicated case then. What if the generated voice doesn't imitate any voice actor in particular?

martino

Lets use a more complicated case then. What if the generated voice doesn't imitate any voice actor in particular?
I see were you are going here.
If tomorrow games without existing voices only use AI voices , then video game voice actor is the next Lamplighter.
No job is immune to become obsolete if current level of technology doesn't it need it (in a way or the other)

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I see were you are going here.
If tomorrow games without existing voices only use AI voices , then video game voice actor is the next Lamplighter.
No job is immune to become obsolete if current level of technology doesn't it need it (in a way or the other)
Thing is, in order for these AIs to work they need a pool sample of voice actors in order to be trained.
Withouth new voice acting samples, what do you think would happen to these AI generated voices?

Last edited:
Have you seen the credits of a AAA game? There is no shortage of jobs on the payroll. If developers can find any way to do things cheaper, they absolutely should consider it.

martino

Thing is, in order for these AIs to work they need a pool sample of voice actors in order to be trained.
Withouth new voice acting samples, what do you think would happen to these AI generated voices?
Simple, a new activity will be to build and provide data bank of them .
Voices are the next textures, sound , assets....

Last edited:
I don't support the use of explicitly mimicking someone else's voice.

If you're an indie dev with no acting talent who can't afford VA then go for it.

You don't support the use of this tech, until you do?!?!

What a bizarrely inconsistent take.

Would you support some small broke ass developer infringing on a major publisher's IP and copyrights too, simply because they're too poor to afford to do anything themselves?

This tech can be useful for reducing the cost of producing voice lines for the thousands of no-name NPCs in an open world or RPG game. But only as long as the main cast are fully voiced by paid human professional voice actors. That's mostly how I'd like to see it used. That way, smaller studios can attempt building out much larger scope projects using this kind of procedural AI-based technology to reduce the overall production cost for the game. That's a great thing.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It’s both scary and exciting to see the progress of neural network AI. They even have now neural networks to decide what datasets the target network needs to learn. China has a huge supercomputer AI on this feedback loop and who knows what will come from it.

Very, very few jobs will be saved.

Ironically manual labor like cleaning the street is more safe now because progress on robots is way slower which means brain forward jobs are the ones on the line.

spons

Gold Member
I don't see any problem with this if they don't directly mimic living voice actors. Automation will get rid of many jobs, including mine somewhere in the future. Shame for the VAs it's gotta be them so early in the game, but that's capitalism: out of two options, you're not going to pick the more expensive one if they deliver the same quality.

This is good news for dubbed movies. In the German version of Last Blood Rambo has a new voice* because the previous voice actor got too old and sick.
This new tech might give us the original German Rambo voice for Last Blood (and Creed II).

*actually it's the same voice now as in Rocky 1&2 and Creed 2

One might say now "dubbed movies suck" but in some cases they're actually superior to the original, e.g. in the German version of Total Recall and Terminator you don't have to endure Schwarzenegger's real voice (he actually has the same voice actor as Stallone in Rambo I-IV, Rocky III-VI and Creed I).

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Simple, a new activity will be to build and provide data bank of them .
Voices are the next textures, sound , assets....
Now thats an interesting possibility.

Personally i don't think VA jobs will die, there'll just be less of them, especially minor ones.
Possibly, VA's will sell their normal acting services as well as databanks with their samples alongside the rights to use them (or whoever will own the rights to their voices). There'll probably be stuff like using "illegal samples", aka using samples without authorization, which would be something similar to how we treat piracy.

Of course, none of this could apply only to voice acting necessarely.

This is like step 4 of The Robot Uprising 37-Step Plan for Humanity's Takeover. I'll just enjoy the perks of unique shit like this until step 19 or so.

Last edited:
don't worry fellow human, i'm sure AIs have our best interests in mind
HbEoeUz.png

giphy.gif

reinking

Gold Member
I honestly do not care who or what voices my games as long as it is a smooth and enjoyable experience. I am not trying to be harsh but why should I as a consumer care if a big name actor, a college student or an AI voiced the characters. If anything, a well known actor sometimes distracts me if I recognize their voice. I am good with a made up character having a made up voice. I am not okay with "stealing" another's voice though.

martino

Now thats an interesting possibility.

Personally i don't think VA jobs will die, there'll just be less of them, especially minor ones.
Possibly, VA's will sell their normal acting services as well as databanks with their samples alongside the rights to use them (or whoever will own the rights to their voices). There'll probably be stuff like using "illegal samples", aka using samples without authorization, which would be something similar to how we treat piracy.

Of course, none of this could apply only to voice acting necessarely.
You're right and big games will still love to have famous names.
It's a good thing for smaller studios that can have voices when they wouldn't without the tech.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

The only reason why this is not done more is that the tools are not fully developed. But for super indie stuff this will take over. Avoid all copyright by MLing 4-5 different voices from random people on YouTube or even historical recordings.

Last edited:

CuNi

Or more if the A.I is based on the current situation, it could amplify it.
Imagine that…😱

Just imagine the possibilities. Now the mob can cancel you 24/7, and not just when they are awake.
You try to defend yourself? There is no downtime between you sending the tweet, them reading it, gathering and canceling you again. Once your web-page refreshes after sending that tweet, you already have their response loaded.
The bliss of instant cancel.

Top Bottom