• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher 3 Xbox One bug - stuck at title screen, says "Please wait" forever

Yep. I've got this happening with me too.

So I booted the Xbox One up and the game resumed from sleep, right where I left it. I'm very early in the game and noticed that the game was running really poorly, like super slow, super screwed up, but that can happen sometimes coming back from sleep and it's usually fine. So, I start playing and I'm very early, where I have to hunt the griffin in that first town, so I start that mission... Meeting that dude out in the forest, do what he needs me to do, and I notice the game won't let me save. "You cannot save at this time."

So I figure, eh, must be in the middle of the mission or something. So I keep playing... It keeps telling me that... An hour later it continues to tell me that, and I just figured "Maybe I need to kill this Griffin before I can save.."

So the Griffin kills me near the end of the battle, and then my game locks up on the "You Are Dead" screen... So, I exit back to the Xbox dashboard, go to start the game back up, and now my game is just stuck on this:

inRvs5zl.png

gossi

So I booted the Xbox One up and the game resumed from sleep, right where I left it. I'm very early in the game and noticed that the game was running really poorly, like super slow, super screwed up, but that can happen sometimes coming back from sleep and it's usually fine. So, I start playing and I'm very early, where I have to hunt the griffin in that first town, so I start that mission... Meeting that dude out in the forest, do what he needs me to do, and I notice the game won't let me save. "You cannot save at this time."

So I figure, eh, must be in the middle of the mission or something. So I keep playing... It keeps telling me that... An hour later it continues to tell me that, and I just figured "Maybe I need to kill this Griffin before I can save.."

So the Griffin kills me near the end of the battle, and then my game locks up on the "You Are Dead" screen... So, I exit back to the Xbox dashboard, go to start the game back up, and now my game is just stuck on this:

inRvs5zl.png

Yeah, the developer forums are absolutely full of this now, and there's press articles starting to appear. Oops.

Journey

Banned
dafuck happened to QA in past 3-4 years? No one tests these games before packing this shit?

I'm sure they tested, but I game of this size and scope is bound to have unforeseeable issues. The important thing is that they fix it quickly.

I remember back even with the Dreamcast where I believe it was Sonic Adventure that had an issue that was pretty bad. I think the only solution was to get a disc replacement. There was no widespread forum/internet chatter to make it a big deal, gamers are much more vocal today with Twitter and other forms of social media.

MaulerX

It happened to me once. I just did a hard reset of the console (press and hold the power button until it shuts off). All was fine afterwards.

Generally speaking I think It's a good idea to hard reset the XB1 once in a while.

shandy706

The fact that people can't do something as simple as a hard reset blows my mind.

Whatever is causing it should be taken care of soon hopefully.

It cracks me up that the old "Sir, have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?" thing still escapes people. That's basically a "hard reset" without holding the button, but they don't even try that.

It did that for me too on PS4 until I reset my machine. The only other annoyance was I had to watch both intro cutscenes twice.

Edit- forgot I already posted in this thread, haha

JeffG

I have had this issue a few times, plus another which didn't allow me to save my game. Being an idiot I kept playing thinking it would "fix" itself (or that some autosave would work). Lost 3 hrs of play.

I no longer leave it in suspended state. (I explicitly quit the game before shutting down my XBox or if I walk away for a couple of hrs watching TV)

The game has behaved since I started doing that.

alouette

A hard reset will fix this for now (just hold power button for a few seconds + for going sure, plug of power).
The most interesting part of this bug is, even when you start a different game after the bug appeared in Witcher 3, the new started game can't use savegames, too. I tried this with Rayman, Lego Movie and some other games. Didn't know something like this could happen...

Just updating from last night...

Hard reset fixed it for me, but I lost an hour of gameplay because I was in the middle of a game and was unable to save.

Mine happened after using Xbox's Suspend Resume over the course of a few days. I was happy when the game launched right in to exactly where I left off (love that) but the game was running like garbage, stuttering really hard every 10 seconds or so, with CG clips being a mess. When I died, I got trapped on the "You Died" screen and the game wouldn't reload... the Spinner was going about 1 revolution every 60 seconds, and I left it there for a good... 10 minutes and it went nowhere.

So, finally, I quit out (Dashboard -> Hold Start button -> Quit Game), restarted the game, and after loading the intro got this error.

Left it for another 10 minutes to screenshot and make my post above. nothing loaded.

So I manually shut down the Xbox One, left it for about 30 seconds, booted back to my game. I had lost about an hour of gameplay to when I had started up earlier in the night, but whatever. That "fixed" it for me.

Game is buggy as hell.

A hard reset will fix this for now (just hold power button for a few seconds + for going sure, plug of power).
The most interesting part of this bug is, even when you start a different game after the bug appeared in Witcher 3, the new started game can't use savegames, too. I tried this with Rayman, Lego Movie and some other games. Didn't know something like this could happen...

I have a feeling it locks up your Xbox HDD and makes it incapable of reading and writing game save data. I was unable to save my game while playing Witcher 3 while it was "bugged" and when I quit and went back in, I was still unable to do anything. So... I feel like it's borked the HDD or the Cloud Save system doing whatever it's doing. WHat's surprising is just how many people have experienced this and only within a couple of days of launch... This should be something that's caught relatively quickly in QA if I've only played the game for 90 minutes prior to that and I'm already getting bugs.

Oh, maybe I should mention I'm on the X1 Preview program. Don't think it matters but who knows.

Is the loading screen 900 or 1080p? Get DF on this

See 4th post in thread.

Also it's 1080p

http://i.imgur.com/inRvs5z.png

I mentioned this in my review and CD Projekt are well aware it's an issue because I and others told their PR people and were informed they're looking at it. Hard reset of the Xbox One is the only way to fix it currently.

I *think* it's a certain missions that's bugged. The one where you help the pedder summon ghosts (I forget the actual title of the quest, but you fight off drowners, wraiths and witch hunters around a big fire).

Ever since I did that mission, I was unable to save the game or meditate, leading to the loss of save progress, as it's not something you notice until you die and find out you can't reload either.

This happened to me twice, and I pinpointed the "moment" when I couldn't save each time to that quest, as it was the common thread in both instances. Ever since I avoided that quest, I've not had the issue again.

I could be very wrong, and there may be other quests that do it, but that's my theory anyway.

The fact that people can't do something as simple as a hard reset blows my mind.

Whatever is causing it should be taken care of soon hopefully.

It cracks me up that the old "Sir, have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?" thing still escapes people. That's basically a "hard reset" without holding the button, but they don't even try that.

Yeah, unplugging isn't a fun solution when you have an hours unsaved progress though. You'd be cracking up in the other sense of the word I think. Still, I'm sure it will be taken care of soon.. "hopefully".

Vestal

Gold Member
From the looks of it, it appears that the game losses the ability to find the save files and therefore cannot load or cannot save. It probably has to do with some hook that they did not clean up correctly if there is some sort of connection issue maybe during standby??

Happened to me last night and a restart of the Xbox 🎮 corrected it.

Nick_C

I mentioned this in my review and CD Projekt are well aware it's an issue because I and others told their PR people and were informed they're looking at it. Hard reset of the Xbox One is the only way to fix it currently.

I *think* it's a certain missions that's bugged. The one where you help the pedder summon ghosts (I forget the actual title of the quest, but you fight off drowners, wraiths and witch hunters around a big fire).

Ever since I did that mission, I was unable to save the game or meditate, leading to the loss of save progress, as it's not something you notice until you die and find out you can't reload either.

This happened to me twice, and I pinpointed the "moment" when I couldn't save each time to that quest, as it was the common thread in both instances. Ever since I avoided that quest, I've not had the issue again.

I could be very wrong, and there may be other quests that do it, but that's my theory anyway.

The name of the quest is 'Forefathers' Eve'. It doesn't seem to be bugged on PS4, as I'm currently working on it and I just saved and reloaded from a fresh application restart.

gossi

Jim - for info, I haven't done that quest yet but I had this issue (I started this topic). (By the way, I lost 90 minutes of play due to this bug and had to do it again - I tweeted about it, somebody from CPR PR tweeted me to say they're looking at it).

It happened to me after I took the XB1 out of standby.

leeh

inRvs5zl.png
Happened to me, hard-reset fixed it.

Top Bottom