• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Witcher III: Blood and Wine - May 10 Preview Info

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
As daft as it may sound, I'm really excited about getting the option to stop Geralt automatically unsheathing his swords. That's a little thing that's always bugged me.

Trying to stay spoiler free so I just skimmed the article. I'm wondering if I should just get the season pass to get this and Heart of Stones. That's almost too much Witcher to go back too!

cackhyena

Everything sounds fucking amazing. The book change (press a button to read the book or note you just picked up) should have been in the main game from the get go. I admit that. The fact that they are willing to change it this late in the game is still great. Most dev's would leave it the way it is, focus on just new content for the expansion. All of the changes sound great. New grass is exciting (as lame as that sounds) they talked in a preview event before about possibly going back and adding that grass to the full game.

Here's the armor Ursine armor upgrades that they mentioned didn't make the final game
ctw0Xwg.jpg

That will be mine. I refuse to switch to anything else after getting the base ursine rn in the main game.

Ledhead

Sweet jesus. The amount of content included here, in addition to the streamlining and improving of menus is insane....

Lanrutcon

Everything sounds fucking amazing. The book change (press a button to read the book or note you just picked up) should have been in the main game from the get go. I admit that. The fact that they are willing to change it this late in the game is still great. Most dev's would leave it the way it is, focus on just new content for the expansion. All of the changes sound great. New grass is exciting (as lame as that sounds) they talked in a preview event before about possibly going back and adding that grass to the full game.

Here's the armor Ursine armor upgrades that they mentioned didn't make the final game
ctw0Xwg.jpg

Also the option to turn off the fish eye witcher sense is incredible. One of the biggest problems with the game considering how often you need to use that mode. God bless you cd projekt red

That's the shit right there.

The most annoying thing with the Witcher 3 on PS4 is the sluggish inventory UI. Really hope this UI is a bit smoother.

And there's a Blood & Wine theme up on PSN. When I try to download it nothing happens though. Anyone been able to download it?

I wish they'd release these expansions stand alone. I don't have the base game anymore and as such am not able to buy them on release. I'd easily pay about 30$ for this right now, instead I'm "forced" to wait for some ultra GOTY-edition at a discount later on, which I suspect will make CDPR less money. Oh well, it's still gonna be fun when that time comes I guess.

Dmax3901

ctw0Xwg.jpg

Also the option to turn off the fish eye witcher sense is incredible. One of the biggest problems with the game considering how often you need to use that mode. God bless you cd projekt red

It doesn't look quite like that, from memory. The fur is definitely more on one shoulder than the other.

And with that I'm off to bed, 1:40am here. Night GAF!

I was hopig for more NPC face variety (quite distracting to see the same 5 faces applied to what feels like 80% of all interactable NPCs) but we got lots of good changes and additions nevertheless. I'll be playing this day one.

RDreamer

Trying to stay spoiler free so I just skimmed the article. I'm wondering if I should just get the season pass to get this and Heart of Stones. That's almost too much Witcher to go back too!

This ain't even a question. Of course you should grab the pass. Heart of Stone alone was worth the pass price. The fact that this is bigger is just crazy pants.

mileS

Where did they say that? The new Grandmaster Ursine looks very similar to the old concept. You can also dye it black now.

Just going off what I read in the OP. 'Ursine Witcher armour with furry pauldron that was in the artbook but cut from the main game.'

I'm sure the img I posted won't be exactly what it looks like but I wanted to post the pic for the people that don't remember or haven't seen it yet to give them an idea.

Anyone know where to order the CE in Canada? Hope we don't get screwed over :(

Seriously, the amount of content/systems they've added since launch is staggering.
If they ever do an Enhanced Edition, it will essentially be a 3.5 game.

And I already loved the game in its initial state.

Son, just don't.

Seriously though, this is an impressive amount of content. It's a real expansion and I can't wait to dive in. I'm not even watching that new trailer. There's no need, they got me already.

It's a serious question because while the story was great the gameplay was not great. If they actually improve quests I am in. If it's the exact same kind of content from the main game but just more then forget it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
seriously can't wait for this. not gonna read too much because i want to experience it all when i play it.

preordered the expansion to get the gwent cards. i already have the pass but i won't even be mad if i end up paying a total of £40 for the expansions (pass + blood and wine) because honestly ... £40 for 40-50 hours of content is not bad at all!

BumRush

The season pass is one of the best deals going. Two - effectively - full games expanding on an already incredible universe.

As daft as it may sound, I'm really excited about getting the option to stop Geralt automatically unsheathing his swords. That's a little thing that's always bugged me.

It is not daft at all, at least for me as well. I have always enjoyed the feeling of manually identify the enemies and pull my swords out accordingly.

did you play Hearts of Stone?

No, is that improved? I seriously haven't read any previews of reviews. I was waiting for the larger expansion.

Main story missions were good, the stuff with boss battles and interesting game mechanics. But the majority of side quests and bounties where just repetition to me. So if it's more like the main quest I will probably get it.

To be fair; if you stick to the main quests in the base game you can "skip a lot".
I'm still in my first run, taking a HoS detour now, will start BaW when it arrives, and finish up the main game after that :eek:

I'm still on my first playthrough and I just met Triss, am I in a good spot for this?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's a serious question because while the story was great the gameplay was not great. If they actually improve quests I am in. If it's the exact same kind of content from the main game but just more then forget it.

I would guess Witcher Sense will still be a big part of the game, so if it's something that really bothers you then maybe skipping this is the right call.

No, is that improved? I seriously haven't read any previews of reviews. I was waiting for the larger expansion.

Main story missions were good, the stuff with boss battles and interesting game mechanics. But the majority of side quests and bounties where just repetition to me. So if it's more like the main quest I will probably get it.

It's better than the majority of the base game main quests.

Piggus

Take note, other devs! Wow!

Oh man I'm so excited for this. When I play it is tied to whenever the GTX 1080 comes out though. :(

RDreamer

More like the main quest, but with majorly improved boss battles thrown in. It's fucking great.

Come on! Now bring the EE!°

Glad I'm not the only one. I think they need to go back and redo some parts of the base game, and release the EE at the end of the year. A NEO patch for those on PS4 would be a pretty good idea.

The new POI system also sounds cool AF. Skellige's caches are just silly by comparison. I expected big ocean battles with monsters, not diving for hidden boxes while killing the same drowners and/or sirens.

Unlikely to happen, but seeing Iorveth's cut content completed and restored in an EE would make me so happy. The Scoia'tael plotline got shafted after TW2. :(

I like the sound of the new unsheathing option. The vodyanoi returning would be cool. That "Old friends" visiting bit is intriguing too. 30+ hours will probably be like be more like 40+, essentially another main quest, The wait for GOTY will be over soon friends.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Shit do I need to play the 1st expansion before this one drops?

you don't need to if you don't want to but you really should as it's an amazing expansion. takes about 15 hours to get through it.

the base game and expansions aren't really connected story wise. although, if you want to use your current character in Blood & Wine you'll need to play through Hearts of Stone to level up or you'll be like 10 levels too weak. You can select to play with a pregenerated character who is boosted to the required level though.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It is not daft at all, at least for me as well. I have always enjoyed the feeling of manually identify the enemies and pull my swords out accordingly.

Exactly. It's a little thing, but for me it will make a big difference in how the game flows into a combat situation.

Hearts of Stone has few side-quest, never mind. I was referring to its main quests, which have a couple really different from the main game ones. Even bosses are really different.

I would guess Witcher Sense will still be a big part of the game, so if it's something that really bothers you then maybe skipping this is the right call.

Not witcher sense, the boring structure of how every side quest was essentially the exact same thing. If they use witcher sense in interesting ways then fine but if it's just a way to guide the player down a set line then it's pointless.

Hearts of Stone has few side-quest, never mind. I was referring to its main quests, which have a couple really different from the main game ones. Even bosses are really different.

Now this sounds good.

Daffy Duck

How does this fit into the current game (inventory etc) if you don't have the DLC? Do you simply not get those updates?

Top Bottom