• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With 3D Blu-Ray support coming to PSVR, should 3D games be compatible?

3D Blu-Ray support is coming as part of the next PS4 firmware update (you lucky beta testers have it now). With that support existing, should PS4 games that support 3D also be made compatible? There are not many that exist, but I think it would be worth it. If it happened, I hope it would lead to remasters of PS3 games that were 3D compatible, such as Killzone 3, Resistance 3, MotorStorm Apocalypse, Puppeteer, etc. with the 3D options being brought over to PS4.

Edit- I should note, I asked Shuhei Yoshida on Twitter if this might happen eventually.

Could this be tested with PSNow?

No. PSNow doesn't use any of the so-called "gimmicky" features. There are no games on there that use PS Move support, PS Eye support, or 3D support. And, unless the PS Now version specifically has DLC bundled into it, you can only play the vanilla version of that game (i.e. last time I checked, Warhawk did not have the expansion packs).

YES PLEASE!!!!!

Especially with me having an OLED TV that has 3D.

PS4 already does do 3D games (I included the list of compatible games). Assuming you have a PS4, those are the games you can check out with your TV right now. In fact, if the list is correct, one is coming out tomorrow: Sniper Elite 4.

Garthoff

Neo Member
I feel like PS3 backwards compatibility would be necessary to bridge the gap and it seems like that ship has sailed.

And as a PSVR owner, I think the newer tech far exceeds what you'd get from those old games anyways.

Hell. Yes.

As an aside, none of their 2017 TVs are going to have 3D, but they're going to push it in PSVR now. Seems like a bit of mixed messaging and maybe a disconnect between Sony divisions. I mean, by bringing 3D BR to PSVR while simultaneously leaving it out of even their high end TVs its like they actually think more people will watch 3D movies with a VR helmet on than on a Sony television. Which is ridiculous just by sheer numbers. Even if 3D "bombed" there have to be several orders of magnitude more people out there who would still like to use it on their TV (even if they're a minority) vs the paltry numbers who have jumped into PSVR. So, if you want a 3D TV buy a different brand...but if u want to experiment with 1st gen VR well i guess we'll let u enjoy your movies in 3D if u like....

Afrikan

No. PSNow doesn't use any of the so-called "gimmicky" features. There are no games on there that use PS Move support, PS Eye support, or 3D support. And, unless the PS Now version specifically has DLC bundled into it, you can only play the vanilla version of that game (i.e. last time I checked, Warhawk did not have the expansion packs).

PS4 already does do 3D games (I included the list of compatible games). Assuming you have a PS4, those are the games you can check out with your TV right now. In fact, if the list is correct, one is coming out tomorrow: Sniper Elite 4.

Yeah I meant I hoped this meant more games being compatible....but I didn't there were that many games..for the longest I thought it was only Trine series.

but yes I hope to see remasters...

for this reason though is the one reason I've kept my PS3. :D

edit -
If you already have a 3D tv just get a PS3 and those games lol, you have no reason to wait for this.

Yeah but I'm hoping for remasters...but believe me, I have Killzone 3, Motorstorm 3, Datura, and a bunch of other 3D games waiting to be played again....but first want to catch up to my PS4 Backlog...as well as PSVR Backlog.

The OP is requesting for PS4 3D games to work with PSVR. Your HDTV already plays them in 3D without the headset.
What I assume this poster is getting at, is that if more games start getting released with 3D support it will benefit him even without PSVR.
Edit: Beaten...

GordyNYC

If doubling the frame rate is an issue then this could be a PSPro exclusive feature and should work similarly to NVidia's 3DVision

Afrikan

This is a Thread I made when Cinema Mode was first reported.

PSVR Cinematic Mode should allow accurate head tracking for all PS4 games.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1197539

If devs add/update it to their games.

For example let's say GTA5 added head tracking for first person mode or all modes.

You would get to play on a Big 1080p screen *edit rez might be lower* with legit OLED quality image and I believe response time....and of course it would track which ever way you looked. It just wouldn't be 3D or fill up your whole eyesight.

if the game supported 3D and the PSVR had a display option for 3D content it would be a poor mans VR. (PSNow PS3's 3D games?) But forget that for a second..

There already PS4 games released that support head tracking like WarThunder. (they will most likely release a VR update anyway). But you get the idea....hopefully... lol.

Basically it would be nice if Devs supported head tracking..even if their games don't support VR. But it's nice to want things.

I and maybe like 4 people in the world...lol...were doing something similar years back using a Sony HMZ, Move Controller taped on top of the headset, and PS3 game Datura.

All the Dev would have to do is allow head tracking using the lights on the PSVR.

PC users have used a similar set up in the past to play PC games with that Head Mount Display.

Wish this could still happen... especially now with 3D support coming.

but again... it's nice to want things.....like Sony adding a feature that allowed PSVR head movement to replicate the right stick on the controller.

Top Bottom