• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With a 94 Metascore on Metacritic, Half-Life: Alyx has surpassed Beat Saber and Astro Bot to become the top rated VR title of all time

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

According to Metacritic, Half-Life: Alyx now stand at the top of the VR game rating with a 94 metascore. The title sees a metascore of 93 yesterday (tie with Beat Saber), but new reviews has pushed the game to the top spot.

Here are the top 5 rated VR titles according to Metacritic

1. Half-Life: Alyx (94) - PC - 49 reviews
  2. Beat Saber (93) - PC, Quest, PSVR - 6 reviews
  3. Astro Bot (90) - PSVR - 51 reviews
  4. Lone Echo (89) - PC - 14 reviews
  5. Asgard's Wrath (88) - PC - 15 reviews

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
well deserved. It’s the best VR game I’ve ever played.

Great Hair

Banned
Worth every penny!

Based on what i´ve seen, it´s not even worth getting up and make a VR yourself out of a cardboard.

IF you feel spending $1000, then dont click on SPOILER. IF you rather keep the $1000, feel free to read the SPOILER.
+ Nothing in the game really had to be AS VR, not the dumb puzzles when trying to open wall-chests-thingy, not the shooting, nothing really that makes it a much better experience than Resi7VR or Skyrim VR. ITS VR for the sake of being VR, the gameplay could have been 2D, traditional and it would have worked as good (if not better, since it´s wonky)

+ 11 years for this?

+ they could not bother to use the original voices, so Alyx uses a vulgar approach (... this shit) and others also sound unfamiliar

+ Alyx´s DOG played an intricate part in HL2 to EPI2, saving her life ... the DOG gets no mention except a shitty beta? version image of him ... THE DOG is part of her life (lore) since her childhood, she is building, improving it ... nowhere can the dog be seen. HL2 Alyzx happens 5? years before HL2 ...

+ they play the same shitty TIMETRAVEL crap ... like with Terminator. "HER DADDY DOES NOT DIE AFTERALL" turning HL2 EP1 and 2 into shit

+ The ending is a dickslap to the fans of the series ".... former employee was not UP TO THE TASK (hence she was selected and gets the crowbar)"
THE ENDING IS WAY WORSE THAN Zelda Botw! Again 11 years ... fuck them Valves. LAAAAAAAME, $1000? fuk no.

+ For some unknown reasons, underneath the hwole city, the ccity was infected apparently, not seen in HL2 as im pretty sure, they never alluded to anything related to any infestation problem etc.

+ HL2 Alyx is literally an DUNGEON Crawler in VR, you spend so much time under the city, just for effect? or VR reasons (some jumpscare) .. it´s rubbish

+ ALL IT DOES WELL LIKE SKYRIM or RE7VR is to give you said VR experience, that´s all. Sick visuals though! you get a RAIL SHooter in VR where you are allowed to move within the 5 by 5m they allow you.

60%
not a good HL game after 11 years of waiting
ugly voice overs, especially Alyx as she sounds like a rapper would talk like? and nothing like the original, never cursing at all THROUHG 3 games. New Alyx if she were allowed or written like that, she would be dropping f-bombs left and right :

"... i picked up this and this shit came out" ... was one of her phrases (not quite, but in tone)
GORDON FREEMAN IS DED! CAPICHE!

Romulus

Game is incredible, but there is so much to offer besides Half-Life for VR.

and lol people with the $1000 comments, great headsets like Rift S and Odyessy+ are far less and they work with Half Life. $200 even. Good luck finding one right now though, everything is sold out.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I always laugh when people who haven’t played it confidently talk about it’s nothing you couldn’t totally do outside of VR and the people actually playing it in VR keep reiterating that it must be experienced to get it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still need to play Beat Saber, but the score is well deserved for Alyx. Just finished the game and it was a fantastic experience.

Romulus

It's one of the best games this "generation", absolutely deserving of its score, its place in VR, and its position in the Half-Life franchise.

Valve knocked it out of the park.

I think it also will hold the title as one of the best games that the least amount of people will get to play. Lol

Last edited:
Reviews are gated by the price of the game and willingness to buy a VR headset. People try to justify wasting money on everything myself included, but I feel this particular case is a bit obscene.
Why is it obscene? Cost me $200, and I'm using it for other stuff as well.

Arkage

Banned
Games like this are difficult to judge. For example I played it sitting down most of the time. Was less immersive, but also less exhausting. But if I set up room scale and walked around a lot, it would've felt a lot more "real" with combat ducking and leaning and etc.... but also just more tiring and less inclined to play in long sessions. As it is, sitting down still provided a good amount of interaction but it was nothing that crazy. The main gimmick was picking up items with the gravity gloves, which is a really nice and novel mechanic that never really gets old. Is that worth a 94? Who's to say.

Games like this are difficult to judge. For example I played it sitting down most of the time. Was less immersive, but also less exhausting. But if I set up room scale and walked around a lot, it would've felt a lot more "real" with combat ducking and leaning and etc.... but also just more tiring and less inclined to play in long sessions. As it is, sitting down still provided a good amount of interaction but it was nothing that crazy. The main gimmick was picking up items with the gravity gloves, which is a really nice and novel mechanic that never really gets old. Is that worth a 94? Who's to say.
I played "room scale" and this was my space to do it in, it was fine. You really just need like 3 feet in front of you and to your sides to make it happen convincingly.

I just used that little black ottoman as a reference for the back of my calves and was able to move about decently freely without hitting anything, or bumping stuff, it worked great.

20200331_231051.jpg

Why is it obscene? Cost me $200, and I'm using it for other stuff as well.

Like Star Citizen obscene. Some people probably getting good use of VR, but for most they fall into the fad, and buyers remorse does the rest. The game has to be the best thing since sliced bread to justify themselves, like your console exclusives in how console manufacturers promote the shit of them like a revolution. Your Wii fitness, your iPads, nothing new. But VR just has such a limited use for such a majority of people that buy one.

My friend with spending problems bought an Index just because of this game. He already had a Vive. Now it's collecting dust and he's not wealthy.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

They should remake myst and riven in VR. that would actually be something interesting. Sadly they waste their time on fps games and lightsaber games.

Romulus

Your thread and that top spot lasted a day, this 6 /10 about to end this whole man's career

I doubt it'll do much by now with some unknown site looking for clicks with the lowest score. Even still, beat saber is a 93, they're tied #1 if drops it a point.

Last edited:

Caio

So, Half Life got 96 on Meta, Half Life 2 a 96, and this Alyx 94, here we have the best developers on this planet.
What about Half Life 3 ? How long should we wait ?

Resenge

Based on what i´ve seen, it´s not even worth getting up and make a VR yourself out of a cardboard.
Well there is your problem.

Based on what I have experienced it definatly is worth it, maybe you could listen to the people who have experience rather than what you see. Hence the metacritic score.

VR looks like crap on a flat screen. You cannot experience what VR has to offer by looking at flat screen gameplay of a VR game and therein lies the problem with your argument.

Last edited:
Top Bottom