• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With all the cross gen titles/support, have you changed your opinion on what constitutes a next gen game?

I think

• The game can't truly be next-gen if it supports previous gen or spinning hdd without a proper port

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • The game can scale across hardware and can be next-gen if it has a patch or natively

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

cormack12

Gold Member
There's been a lot of talk about games being scaled back from PS5/XSX to run on XSS or PS4/XB1 and how this won't diminish the next-gen feel. While others feel the software needs to be designed around the new features to be considered truly next-gen.

We've been hit with a number of top IPs that are definitely going to also run on the previous generation of consoles and with this in mind, has your position changed or stayed the same? Do you believe that the dedicated next gen games of the tentpole IPs are going to be arriving 2022-ish or later? Or are you happy that new first parties with a few bells and whistles on the current gen hardware is enough to qualify as well?

Rudius

It depends. This controversy started with halo, which in fact looked like a Xbox One game, but with games like Horizon and Forza Horizon 5 the games look next gen. They may be limited in other area's, but at least are clearly more beautiful than what we had before.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Next gen means to be only available on the next or new gen. It’s right there in the name. Anything else is cross gen, or last gen.

Last edited:

hlm666

How long has the ps5/xsx gotta be out before it's current gen? that's the real question, maybe in a few months when we hit a year out?

GHG

Gold Member
This is only a question for negationist fanboys who have to protect multi-billionaire mommy's brand.

It's not nextgen if it has to run on an ancient hardware that was already shit in 2013.

The end.

So that's literally no games so far then...?

Arbitrary requirements are not the correct way to look at this. With the way people behave here they would find it impossible to enjoy a GPU upgrade on PC.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So that's literally no games so far then...?

Arbitrary requirements are not the correct way to look at this. With the way people behave here they would find it impossible to enjoy a GPU upgrade on PC.
Ratchet is the only one that i consider really nextgen because it has both graphics and mechanics that you can't replicate on old console without loosing a lot.

Demons is literally a nicer looking ps3 game and returnal is only considered nextgen by soners or controller gimmicks lovers.

Gpu on pc are another stuff entirely, games are still made with console in mind, i'm not mad if games don't fully utilize a 5000 dollars pc because Only 3 people on the planet have that specific hardware, it is just the way it goes.

Last edited:

CeeJay

New gen is marked by new hardware features that allow for new things to be done rather than just beefing up current tech. If it runs on old hardware then it's not truly next gen. IMO the new gen is primarily defined by fast IO and RT. A true next gen game is one that has fundemental gameplay mechanics built around these features. A true next gen game cannot be scaled down to work on old gen hardware without compromising the foundations of the game itself. Ratchet & clank for me is the only true next gen game or the right now.

Nintendo fully understands this and always have a system seller launch game that takes full advantage of their own key next gen features.

Haggard

Banned
Ratchet is the only one that i consider really nextgen because it has both graphics and mechanics that you can't replicate on old console without loosing a lot.

Demons is literally a nicer looking ps3 game and returnal is only considered nextgen by soners or controller gimmicks lovers.
this.

So far all we have are last gen games with makeup with the sole exception being R&C.

Last edited:

Gpu on pc are another stuff entirely, games are still made with console in mind, i'm not mad if games don't fully utilize a 5000 dollars pc because Only 3 people on the planet have that specific hardware, it is just the way it goes.

Nice looking PS3 game, dude seriously? I revisited Demon's Souls Remake for the 4th time after almost 7 months and its the most next gen looking game along with Returnal and Rift Apart.

GymWolf

Nice looking PS3 game, dude seriously? I revisited Demon's Souls Remake for the 4th time after almost 7 months and its the most next gen looking game along with Returnal and Rift Apart.
I said nicer, not nice, and sure the graphic is great, but the core is the one of a ps3 game with even the same IA, animations are good but hardly mindblowing.

I played almost 40 hours of returnal and there is nothing visually nextgen in that game except maybe the number of particles on screen but i never played past housemarque bullet hell games so i'm not even sure about that.
Still a great tps game (less good as a roguelite)

P.s. i don't consider controller gimmicks a nextgen feature like nobody considered nextgen the gimmicks on wii, wiiu and switch.

Last edited:

Alx

A generation gap should be disruptive, the very fact that we wonder "is it next gen or not ?" should be a proof that it's not.
I'm having a hard time considering that simple image quality or cosmetic effects are enough to qualify for next gen. In the end it's still the same game, unlike generations of last century where a new gen would come with games that couldn't exist before.
For the last "generations", most innovations were based around services more than the games themselves (communities, subscription-based offers, sharing, streaming,...). The most notable gameplay evolutions came from hardware peripherals (motion control, VR,...) that weren't exactly generation-defining (but still good to have)

yurinka

Well, almost no loading times + raytracing + dynamic 4K at ~60fps + 3D audio + DualSense stuff is basically the next gen experience for me until now, or at least it's what we got with crossgen and early next gen only games.

Then a few games like Demon's Souls and Ratchet put some extra great visuals on top, that I assume that will scale with upcoming next gen only exclusives and some crossgen games like Horizon, Horizon 5 and GoWR.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Gens died when they started putting AMD APUs in consoles.

And the mid-generation upgrades kind of killed some next-gen joy this round. I get the impression a lot of folks are questioning the games this gen because we just had a half-step with the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. To your point, this is part of what happens when consoles started using PC tech. You've got incremental upgrades rather than big jumps between generations.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spider man miles morales ain’t a next gen game because there’s a PS4 version? That’s the blessing and the curse Sony created when they stated “we support console life for 10 years”. Why can’t their be a PS4, PS5 and PS6 version all existing at once? Imagine playing a new PS4 game in 2030.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Sea of Thieves' ocean running at 120fps looks more "next gen" than many "next gen only" games.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Next gen is just a dumb marketing term to sell new stuff to you. Not every new game needs or will need advanced hardware.
We're at a point where graphical technology isn't really much of a limit for developing certain creative visions.

I personally consider the next step to achieve a form of "true" next gen when we make advance in areas that still have creative constraints due to technological limitations.
We still can't make proper destruction simulation, we still struggle making interesting worlds that are larger than whats feasible for humans to craft by hand, we still can't make convincing behaviours of humans or societies, things like that.

The closest tech we have of a "next gen" experience is ray tracing, not because it looks pretty but because it allows to create convicing visuals for the previously mentioned "worlds too large to be handcrafted".

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
What games lack these days isn't horsepower but creativity.
Having powerful hardware has spoiled devs rotten. When consoles had severe limitations compared to PC, devs actually had to get creative to get around them and made some of the best games ever made.
Silent Hill wouldn't be the masterpiece that it is today if the PS1 could actually render the city like it was originally intended.

Last edited:
The difference between generations does not mean what it used to during the NES to PS2 years.

I'd imagine most Series X and PS5 games could get a working version on Xbox 360 and PS3 if they really wanted to. The only real exception is games that require an SSD to handle new gameplay that revolves around quick loading.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
How long has the ps5/xsx gotta be out before it's current gen?
They were current gen the second they were out, but for some reason people still use "next gen"; next gen means PS6...

It's even worse when people use last gen and next gen in the same sentence.

Top Bottom