• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With consoles now doing double duty as game servers for mobile devices shouldn't they also run hybrid / mobile games natively

onQ123

Like PS5 could be a game server for PS1 , PS2 , PS3 ,PS4 , PS5 console games but also a server for PSP , Vita & also a new hybrid platform that's basically mobile games that's running on PS5 but with mobile interface that use your phone's touch screen , IMU , camera & so on

Shifty

garrys-mod-wat.gif

You could probably do some sort of game that uses the internal ad-hoc wifi on a PS5 (presuming it's the same as PS4) to network together a bunch of mobile devices on their own little LAN and do the main 'business logic' for a shared game on the console. Like Zelda: Four Swords on GC/GBA.

It'd require some sort of client app for the mobile devices in order to access deeper functionality like the IMU though. Jackbox games already do this "mobile device as a console controller" thing using web browsers and dedicated servers, so it's not that crazy of an idea.

Last edited:
"With consoles now doing double duty as game servers for mobile devices"

^ What is that supposed to mean? Games like Fortnite use dedicated servers for mobile devices.

How can a PS5 be a server for PS3 games for example? The matchmaking server (for p2p games) usually resides on a Google/Amazon server.

OP needs to clarify his thoughts.

I'm starting to think onQ123 is a Mister Apoc alt.
MisterXmedia?

DanielsM

Banned

^ What is that supposed to mean? Games like Fortnite use dedicated servers for mobile devices.

How can a PS5 be a server for PS3 games for example? The matchmaking server (for p2p games) usually resides on a Google/Amazon server.

MisterXmedia?

Depends on your definition of a server, if you are playing Gears of War 1-3 on a Xbox One and invite friends to your lobby, your Xbox One is technically a server for a Xbox 360 game.

But not sure what they guy is getting at though. LOL

OP If you are meaning a P2P type game, well, technically I guess its possible, just not likely its worth anyone's time to do all that. (simple answer) Most console games that rely on dedicated servers, the dedicated server is not normally a console. But what is the definition of "console", not sure I know.

Last edited:

onQ123

MisterXmedia?

When you play your PS4 games on your Vita , PC , Mac , iPad or iPhone your PS4 is a game server.

So if PS5 played PS1,PS2 ,PS3 , PS4 , PSP , Vita games it could be a server for people to play these games on their mobile devices .

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm not sure what OP is smoking but...

I fully expect Google's gaming console offering to be able to play (either natively or with cloud streaming) mobile games I've already bought on the Play Store.

Ramzy

I think op has a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between a server and emulation.

ljubomir

Funny that people who don't understand that the PS4 is a server when you're using remote play are in this thread talking as if I don't know what I'm talking about lol.
The word 'server', especially in the context you've used is so ambiguous that noone has a clue what's your point though.

Server for online games != Remote Play

There's nothing about Remote Play in the OP... put more effort in your posts and don't be so ambiguous, OnQ.

DanielsM

Banned
Funny that people who don't understand that the PS4 is a server when you're using remote play are in this thread talking as if I don't know what I'm talking about lol.
Yes, I agree with you when you're running PS Remote Play from your PS4 to a client, the PS4 is acting as a server in a traditional client-server environment. Your PS4 could in theory be acting as a game server for a P2P game while at the same time serving you as a PS Remote Play client. Any game that's P2P in which your PS4 is the host is acting as a server, your original post is kind of funky though.

Not a game server huh?
D7DYjddX4AAoFzP.jpg:large

I'm getting a missing image.

I would agree with this basic definition of "server".

Client/server architecture is a computing model in which the server hosts, delivers and manages most of the resources and services to be consumed by the client. This type of architecture has one or more client computers connected to a central server over a network or internet connection. This system shares computing resources.
Client/server architecture is also known as a networking computing model or client/server network because all the requests and services are delivered over a network.

Last edited:

onQ123

Yes, I agree with you when you're running PS Remote Play from your PS4 to a client, the PS4 is acting as a server in a traditional client-server environment. Your PS4 could in theory be acting as a game server for a P2P game while at the same time serving you as a PS Remote Play client. Any game that's P2P in which your PS4 is the host is acting as a server, your original post is kind of funky though.

I'm getting a missing image.

Game & Network Services  The two keywords for the future direction of PlayStation® are “immersive” and “seamless.”  Next-generation console: “Immersive” experience created by dramatically increased graphics rendering speeds, achieved through the employment of further improved computational power and a customized ultra-fast, broadband SSD.  PlayStation streaming: Through the evolution of “Remote Play” and “PlayStation™Now,” provide a seamless game experience anytime, anywhere.  Remote Play: Turns PlayStation®4(PS4™), which is expected to reach 100 million units in cumulative sales this calendar year, into a streaming game server, providing streaming content at the closest point to users.  PlayStation Now: Provides immersive game experiences to users regardless of whether they own a PS4 console at all.  Sony will pursue its mission to make PlayStation “The Best Place to Play” by leveraging the latest computing, streaming, cloud, and 5G technologies, together with excellent content.  As part of these efforts, Sony agreed to a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) to collaborate on the development of cloud solutions, including game streaming services.

DanielsM

Banned
That would want to be opt-in if it is as that seems. No way I'm sharing my processing and bandwidth with random strangers.

That is talking about PS Remote Play, so your machine has to be setup to run Remote Play and you attach to it via your account, strangers can't use your PS4, however with Share Play you can let strangers play. PS Remote Play has been around since 2006, although not really fully function or supported until the PS4.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

You saying server might be technically correct, but your OP was not using it in context. So congrats you are such a genius you forgot to use context.

The ps5 will probably already do remote play. It wouldn't make sense for it to do it for mobile games though as you are streaming to a mobile device which can natively play mobile games on it?

remote play already functions on some smart phones. The ps4 just doesn't support B/C for the systems you mentioned.

But what you are talking about already kind of exists with something called PS Now and you don't even have to own a console to use it.

onQ123

You saying server might be technically correct, but your OP was not using it in context. So congrats you are such a genius you forgot to use context.

The ps5 will probably already do remote play. It wouldn't make sense for it to do it for mobile games though as you are streaming to a mobile device which can natively play mobile games on it?

remote play already functions on some smart phones. The ps4 just doesn't support B/C for the systems you mentioned.

But what you are talking about already kind of exists with something called PS Now and you don't even have to own a console to use it.

I said "Hybrid Mobile Games" meaning that it's mobile by interface but made to PS5 specs .

That would want to be opt-in if it is as that seems. No way I'm sharing my processing and bandwidth with random strangers.
What if they paid you in some type of currency?

It could be PSN credits (to buy games/DLC/subscriptions) or some type of decentralized currency (crypto)...

I think it would be interesting if they'd try to build a decentralized p2p network of PS4 consoles streaming everywhere in the globe, but I also think it's less likely with the Azure partnership.

Keep in mind that the current PS4 Share Play implementation is limited to 60 minutes, requires 2 Mbps upload minimum and Open NAT:

They'd have to renegotiate business contracts with 3rd party publishers to remove this limit.

Last edited:

onQ123

Give examples please.

It's hard to imagine something that isn't terrible when you put it that way.

How is it terrible to have high end games that you can play on your phone & tablets vs the cheap games they sell on Google Play & Itunes?

Iorv3th

What you are looking for is a streaming service and they already exist. Nobody is going to make a game that is only playable on a phone but requires to stream it from your PS5. That is absolutely ridiculous.

onQ123

Still refusing to elaborate when requested, I see :lollipop_smirking:

Now about those examples...

Why would you need an example of a game running on the PS5 & being served to your phone or tablet? that's not hard for you to imagine.

Sometimes it seem like y'all be playing dumb

DanielsM

Banned
Why would you need an example of a game running on the PS5 & being served to your phone or tablet? that's not hard for you to imagine.

If you are talking streaming that is already being done and has been for quite some time. People are confused by your statements because of your wording (very funky) and you appear to be unaware that this is already possible. It has been possible on the PS4 to Remote Play (stream) to other devices, although Sony's support of some devices is not always 100% inclusive.

My personal opinion, streaming is okayish for single player games in a pinch, not something I am willing to play for. Playing on phones provides their own challenges as well i.e. small screen and no built in sticks or buttons, although grips can be purchased. Streaming is okayish if one isn't paying for it, imo.

Last edited:

Shifty

Presenting evidence when requested is the foundation of proving what you say isn't complete bullshit.

Nah bro, that's you. Every single thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What the fuck is OP talking about?
tumblr_lu5ikpUKQ81qbsprj_zps2002bbc2.gif

Nobody Knows™

Last edited:

onQ123

If you are talking streaming that is already being done and has been for quite some time. People are confused by your statements because of your wording (very funky) and you appear to be unaware that this is already possible. It has been possible on the PS4 to Remote Play (stream) to other devices, although Sony's support of some devices is not always 100% inclusive.

My personal opinion, streaming is okayish for single player games in a pinch, not something I am willing to play for. Playing on phones provides their own challenges as well i.e. small screen and no built in sticks or buttons, although grips can be purchased. Streaming is okayish if one isn't paying for it, imo.

If I was unaware of this happening why would I have this as the title?

"With consoles now doing double duty as game servers for mobile devices shouldn't they also run hybrid / mobile games natively"

the streaming is already happening I'm saying shouldn't they make PS5 games that use the mobile phone/ tablet inputs .

DanielsM

Banned
If I was unaware of this happening why would I have this as the title?

"With consoles now doing double duty as game servers for mobile devices shouldn't they also run hybrid / mobile games natively"
the streaming is already happening I'm saying shouldn't they make PS5 games that use the mobile phone/ tablet inputs .

Your wording is very funky, nobody can understand you. I'm not trying to be mean. That title is a mess.

They confirmed last night that you will be able Remote Play on the PS5 and they will be expanding it to work on more Android devices. Hopefully that helps.

onQ123

Your wording is very funky, nobody can understand you. I'm not trying to be mean. That title is a mess.

They confirmed last night that you will be able Remote Play on the PS5 and they will be expanding it to work on more Android devices. Hopefully that helps.

1st everyone didn't understand that PS4 could be used as a game server & acted like I was talking crazy for saying it's a game server then Sony came out & said it can be used as a game server now y'all acting like you don't understand what I'm saying lol

ok lol

Look back people was clearly in here saying that I didn't know what a server was & so on.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
1st everyone didn't understand that PS4 could be used as a game server & acted like I was talking crazy for saying it's a game server then Sony came out & said it can be used as a game server now y'all acting like you don't understand what I'm saying lol

ok lol

Look back people was clearly in here saying that I didn't know what a server was & so on.

Actually, I'm not seeing that as the case at all except for Fantasy Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Most of the people seem to have a grasp of client/server in the thread. Your writing leaves a lot to be desired, imo, which is what people are having an issue with, your use of technical terms is odd. Your OP is very confusing.

I don't see what the first part has to do with the second part. Whether it can (or could) run mobile games natively has nothing really to do with whether it can provide streaming to mobile devices, not really. Technically, the PS4 does run mobile games, the developer just ports the game over. If you are talking about running Android as some type of sub-system, it could be possible, not sure what the purpose would be.

Last edited:

onQ123

Actually, I'm not seeing that as the case at all except for Fantasy Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co.

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Most of the people seem to have a grasp of client/server in the thread. Your writing leaves a lot to be desired, imo, which is what people are having an issue with, your use of technical terms is odd. Your OP is very confusing.

I don't see what the first part has to do with the second part. Whether it can (or could) run mobile games natively has nothing really to do with whether it can provide streaming to mobile devices, not really. Technically, the PS4 does run mobile games, the developer just ports the game over. If you are talking about running Android as some type of sub-system, it could be possible, not sure what the purpose would be.

Seems pretty simple to me , You can play your PS4 games remotely on your phone/tablet so why not make hybrid games that use the phone/tablet interface but run natively on your PS4/PS5.

They said 5 million people use Remote Play every month so there is a user base of people using their PS4 as a game server so why not cater to these people with games that are made to be played this way instead of just using the touchscreen to emulate DS4 controls.

DanielsM

Banned
Seems pretty simple to me , You can play your PS4 games remotely on your phone/tablet so why not make hybrid games that use the phone/tablet interface but run natively on your PS4/PS5.

I think(?) I understand. Sony has PlayLink for input for players on phones. Of course, its up to the developers to create the game.

O onQ123

I think it would be cool if you stopped confusing game servers with streaming "servers". There's a huge difference between these two terms.

Can a PS4 act as a game server for games like Battlefield, Fortnite, Apex Legends? No. Do I need to explain why? No.

Try to be less vague/ambiguous in your wording, unless you're trying to become Jeff Rigby Redux. :)

ps: 5 million PS4s utilizing Remote/Share Play is a drop in the ocean (100 million consoles).

onQ123

O onQ123

I think it would be cool if you stopped confusing game servers with streaming "servers". There's a huge difference between these two terms.

Can a PS4 act as a game server for games like Battlefield, Fortnite, Apex Legends? No. Do I need to explain why? No.

Try to be less vague/ambiguous in your wording, unless you're trying to become Jeff Rigby Redux. :)

ps: 5 million PS4s utilizing Remote/Share Play is a drop in the ocean (100 million consoles).

Stop it kid ,

onQ123

Perfect argumentation!

Too bad I'm not a kid. ;)

To argue that a game server isn't a game server because the processing is being done on the server side is pretty childish .

When you set up a media server in your home do you say that it's not a media server when some videos are transcoding on the server side?

To argue that a game server isn't a game server because the processing is being done on the server side is pretty childish .

When you set up a media server in your home do you say that it's not a media server when some videos are transcoding on the server side?
I'm pretty sure I've set up more servers than you ever have...

Shifty

You heard it here first kids, hosting a multiplayer game is indistinguishable from running a single-player game and encoding it into video format for transmission to a client display device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom