• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With consoles now doing double duty as game servers for mobile devices shouldn't they also run hybrid / mobile games natively

onQ123

I'm pretty sure I've set up more servers than you ever have...

Good for you it still doesn't change the fact that PS4 is being used as a game server

You heard it here first kids, hosting a multiplayer game is indistinguishable from running a single-player game and encoding it into video format for transmission to a client display device.

Where is that being said?

Y'all the one's trying to limit the term server to just one of it's functions .

Shifty

Where is that being said?

Y'all the one's trying to limit the term server to just one of it's functions .
And you're the one failing to explain yourself to the degree that nobody reading your posts can tell what you actually mean.

The goalposts shift on a post-by-post basis, it's impossible to actually keep up with.

Last edited:

onQ123

And you're the one failing to explain yourself to the degree that nobody reading your posts can tell what you actually mean.

The goalposts shift on a post-by-post basis, it's impossible to actually keep up with.

Nothing has changed since my 1st post , what goalpost is being moved?

xool

This makes me think about that odd slide in Sony's recent IR presentation - the one that says :

The 99, Not the 1

I wonder if this is the sort of thing they meant - ignoring requests from a vocal 1%, and concentrating on what 99% of players actually want/use ?

Please bump this thread when console manufacturers will allow us to set up game (not streaming) servers for MP games like Fortnite and Apex Legends.

DanielsM

Banned
Please bump this thread when console manufacturers will allow us to set up game (not streaming) servers for MP games like Fortnite and Apex Legends.

Technically any time you play P2P, your console is acting as a host (or could be)... it has very little to do with console manufacturers, heck, you could setup dedicated hosts for some games on the original Xbox and Xbox 360.

what-we-have-here-is-a-failure-to-communicate-quote-2.jpg

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

Part of the problem with you is you are failing to understand that your posts are confusing as fuck.

See your original post.

What Phil is talking about is like PS Remote Play.

Like PS5 could be a game server for PS1 , PS2 , PS3 ,PS4 , PS5 console games but also a server for PSP , Vita & also a new hybrid platform that's basically mobile games that's running on PS5 but with mobile interface that use your phone's touch screen , IMU , camera & so on

Last edited:

onQ123

Part of the problem with you is you are failing to understand that your posts are confusing as fuck.

See your original post.

What Phil is talking about is like PS Remote Play.

"Turn your Xbox One into your own personal console server "

Last edited:
Man there’s a whole lotta Dunning-Kruger up in this thread. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
Let's just say that some people need to learn the difference between p2p with low player counts (i.e. Uncharted/TLOU) vs dedicated server games with high player counts (Fortnite/Apex).

I didn't even mention mobile games, because that's irrelevant with game servers.

onQ123

Let's just say that some people need to learn the difference between p2p with low player counts (i.e. Uncharted/TLOU) vs dedicated server games with high player counts (Fortnite/Apex).

I didn't even mention mobile games, because that's irrelevant with game servers.

Again what the hell are you talking about?

TwiztidElf

Amazed that this thread hasn't been bumped already since yesterday. And I think I did see this talked about already in a thread yesterday somewhere.
Despite the OP's confused message, Phil Spencer talks it right here in the interview with Gerstman. 24.10

Last edited:

Ninjamaeden

Neo Member
A console is not going to become a server because it can transmit a video stream to a mobile. These companies are fooling you with the worst kind of gobbledegook.

DanielsM

Banned
A console is not going to become a server because it can transmit a video stream to a mobile. These companies are fooling you with the worst kind of gobbledegook.

That is a server in client-server model. The issue is, the OP wasn't exactly saying what he thinks he was saying, matter of fact, he wasn't very clear even in follow-up questions, imo. Your PS4 is acting as a server for the remote play, if the game is P2P than its possible your PS4 is not only a server for remote play but also the game host as well.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I hope you sincerely only play a mentally slow person, hosting a server and sending a video to the mobile device is HARDLY same thing. Well hardly, it's completely fucking ridiculous.

onQ123

I hope you sincerely only play a mentally slow person, hosting a server and sending a video to the mobile device is HARDLY same thing. Well hardly, it's completely fucking ridiculous.
So you're saying that Sony & Microsoft don't know what a server is? because both of them said their consoles can be used as game streaming servers

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So you're saying that Sony & Microsoft don't know what a server is? because both of them said their consoles can be used as game streaming servers
Sure, but server is not the same, there are many type of servers and if you believe that that puny CPU could handle load of hosting online game, I highly doubt that, not he mention people's internet latency, when you are not in some data center which is on NIX. What they could do (gaming companies) is to release after some time open source server code for their game, which would could then be run on some VPS platform and sure, it would be cheaters there, but technically games would work to their full potential.

onQ123

Sure, but server is not the same, there are many type of servers and if you believe that that puny CPU could handle load of hosting online game, I highly doubt that, not he mention people's internet latency, when you are not in some data center which is on NIX. What they could do (gaming companies) is to release after some time open source server code for their game, which would could then be run on some VPS platform and sure, it would be cheaters there, but technically games would work to their full potential.

I never said anything about hosting online games that was people who seen the word Server & limited to only one use.

onQ123

What are you trying to show here? PS5 will be a sever for PS4 & PS5 games but if it was BC with the other PS & PSP it would also be a server for those games.

I thought you was talking about hosting online matches or something.

Jagz

I'd rather just get a portable gaming PC, like the GPD Win Max and use Game Pass for PC on it, than do xCloud streaming on my phone.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 to me should feature PS5 games first, it obviously has the power to dominate backwards compatibility.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 to me should feature PS5 games first, it obviously has the power to dominate backwards compatibility.

onQ123

So now that the Portal has been opened will PlayStation cross the streams & add touchscreen input to some games or port some touchscreen games from the smartphones to PS5 with a 'Portal' label on them?

Or just make games that have Portal mode or settings so they will work better while streaming?

Top Bottom