• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With more exclusives coming to PC, would you still recommend getting a PS5/Series X instead of a full blown PC?

PC or PS5/Series X?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheeseCake

Very curious to see people's opinions on this.

I still think PS5 is still the better option for future exclusives as well as good established library (PS Plus Collection already has GOW). Series X not so much since all of their games are on PC already... but very hard to build a good PC for 500$ (you can't and you won't be able too for the next 2 years).

I do have a PC but it's not really meant for 100% gaming all the time and I'm much more comfortable just getting home and go to bed/couch, turn on the console and start playing straight away.

Anyway, what do we think?

EDIT: Added a PS5 + Series X option.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Everyone has different tastes and in different situations but for me … if it was strictly gaming … getting a Series X/S and Gamepass can’t be beat. Have fun with all the acquisition announcements and new game drops and invest all the money you saved into the future.

Sakura

Personally PS5 doesn't have exclusives that interest me, and Xbox has gamepass on PC and is putting even their big titles there, so I would just go with a PC.
Really depends on what games you want to play though. Just go where the games you want are.

Last edited:

CheeseCake

if youre willing to wait 3 years or more, sure. me personally i want to play the games im interested in at launch.
This is something I can also get behind so long as the game is well optimized.
I don't feel like getting spoiled as I check social media every now and then.
Everyone has different tastes and in different situations but for me … if it was strictly gaming … getting a Series X/S and Gamepass can’t be beat. Have fun with all the acquisition announcements and new game drops and invest all the money you saved into the future.
I'm in college atm.

I personally prefer to separate gaming from college stuff so I don't get distracted. My PC isn't really powerful enough so I can't really play as many games as I want to which is why I have a PS5.

Series X is an amazing deal with gamepass but I'm just not a fan of digital games because if once you finish it you're stick with it forever and can never resell if you want to later..

Lognor

Banned
Dumb question, but how do I vote?

I would go PC and Series X because of Game Pass. The PC Game Pass is severely lacking so for me it's worth it to have the XSX. If the PC version of Game Pass ever reaches parity with the console version I might sell the XSX.

I've been fine without a PS console for a number of years now, and I'll continue to be fine without one. Now more than before since we are seeing PS games I'm interested in coming to PC. I did buy a PS4 solely for Bloodborne so if there is a game of that quality released on the PS5 only I might have to buy one (temporarily at least).

LostDonkey

I got a series X and a PS5 combined for cheaper than I could build a PC these days to compete with either really.

Prices are just insane at the moment.

martino

if you have no fomo and have money pc is the way to go.
if you have some fomo pc + ps5 (like me when uncertainty of pc is too big)
if you don't have money then it's console and exclusive far more drive your choice of the platform.
if you have no money and fomo you will probably stay on ps4/xone for some years :D

Last edited:

Concern

If you have none. PC is most likely the best option imo. But console players will most likely never switch to pc.

For those who don't mind the downsides of console gaming, absolutely get a console. Series X would be my choice for Game Pass plus many games are cross buy if you do decide to buy a PC once prices normalize.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
If you want to play quality games and not wait years for a pc release, seeing how lots of ps5 games have a 60fps option, Id say best strategy is ps5 and PC for multi-platform content

ReBurn

Gold Member
This conversation hasn't really changed at all.

The main barrier to PC for a lot of people remains hardware cost, not software availability. If the cost of a gaming PC is out of someone's reach then console is easy to recommend. After that it's convenience. If you don't want to manage the quirks of PC gaming then go with a console.

If you can afford it and you game enough PC is pretty much always the right answer. What you gain far outweighs missing out on a handful of console exclusive games. Besides, at this point Sony and Nintendo's first party is pretty much all anyone is missing out on by being a PC gamer. Pretty much everything else is on PC.

So my recommendation is to go to where they have the games you want to play how you want to play them.

Markio128

I voted PS5 and Series X because that is exactly what I have and wanted. If I wanted a PC I would also pick one up, but having been there before, gaming became more about constantly trying to improve performance, than actually enjoying the games.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Instead?

If the question really is Instead....then the answer for me is always yes.

Can you afford a good machine, then frikken go for it.
Before you upgrade your CPU again....get a PS5 because you want to play those exclusives early......else enjoy life in the PC lane!

P.S I have a decent PC but I still game on console when im in the living room.
Moving my whole PC setup from my "fuck off leave me alone" room to the living room is a chore.
But I still want to game on the big screen in a more social setting so got consoles to do that when friends and family come over.

P.P.S If you were to offer me an MSRP 3070Ti or a PS5 with all its current exclusives id pick the 70Ti right now even with my now getting long in the tooth CPU.

twilo99

If budget is not a problem a decent PC paired with gamepass ultimate for PC is the best combo in gaming.

a PS5 would be nice for a few exclusive that will never land on PC.

on a budget nothing beats series s & Gamepass

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Depends. If this person had the money for it, then I'd go for a PC.

Trouble is, a gaming rig is far more expensive than a console, and that's before you even take into consideration the monitor. It's far cheaper just to buy a console.

I could get a PS5 and XSX for less than buying a PC and monitor.

For that reason, I had to go for PS5 and Series X.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If just for gaming, then absolutely I would absolutely (and always) recommend consoles. Prices can get crazy for high-end rig.

Topher

Gold Member
I voted XSX + PS5 since it will get the most gaming coverage for the least amount of money. Under normal circumstances, I would vote for PS5 and PC, but PC component prices are simply not feasible right now.

SEGA_2012

I am old school. I prefer to have consoles. I have Nintendo Switch , PS4 and XBO. I would love to have a PS5 and XBSX and Steam Deck too.

MrFunSocks

Banned
You can’t buy either next gen console and a good gpu or pc with one costs like 3x the price of the consoles. It’s not really a good comparison.

As Microsoft already realised and Sony are just now discovering, gaming PC and console owners don’t mix very much, they’re separate audiences. The news of Sony games coming to pc won’t change anything, just like it didn’t when Microsoft started releasing their games there.

winjer

Gold Member
Usually I would recommend PC.
But considering how much of a mess the GPU market is right now, I would recommend a console. Unless you already have a decent PC.
Also consider what the CEOs of AMD and nVidia say about the supply issues being normalized, only in the end of 2022.

I don't believe Sony will go the route of Microsoft for quite some time. I think they will continue to release older exclusives that have long sold 99% of their sales potential on PS platforms.

So for me it's PC + PS5 for the foreseeable future. My PC still has a 8GB RX 580 in it so it's not great (roughly Xbox One X levels I guess GPU wise but I have a R5 3600). I don't want to miss out on certain PS exclusives, and until Sony says they will do day and date PC releases on every game I will continue to have a PS console in the future.

I do currently own a Series X but it hasn't been turned on in a month or so. Once Forza Horizon 4 releases I will decide if I keep it or sell it to a buddy that is only consoles and wants to play Bethesda games.

I got a series X and a PS5 combined for cheaper than I could build a PC these days to compete with either really.

Prices are just insane at the moment.
This is important right now however. Things like the 1660S are going for the price of a Series X these days so the Series X/PS5 are good choices if you don't care about PC centric features and options.

If you don't care about the PC centric stuff then absolutely get a console instead and save money.

There is really no reason to buy series X/S if you have a PC..
besides absurd price.....for me reasons to avoid: cheating. waiting a year plus for certain big games, dead multiplayer player pool.

ppl want to play games like Red Dead on launch. Ppl want to play COD and Apex with fewer cheaters. Yes ppl on console can cheat...but imo it seems way less likely. New games with multiplayer die quickly on PC as PC players just go back to playing Counter strike or League of Legends.

time and time again i see that article "X game loses 2 million steam users in a week after launch"

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
If money and time wasn’t an obstacle I’d go pc all the way. Even if ps5 had some games you could get day 1 likely they would show up and wouldn’t have to deal with the poorer performing consoles. That said ps5/Xbox or even just one or the other will do it for the majority.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Can’t vote PC+XSX+PS5+Switch so I’m not voting.

I use all platforms for different reasons. XSX is for Gamepass living room gaming. PC is for racing, RPGs, VR and first person games, PS5 is for Sony’s third person action adventures plus GT, Switch is for Nintendo 1st party games.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I recommend that people get what works best for them. I always say PC is superior to console (for games that reside on both, that is), but there several reasons for someone to prefer console over PC.

Having a poll that is allowing a specific console instead of saying either/or just makes this seem like this is nothing more than a thinly-veiled console war thread.

mansoor1980

I recommend that people get what works best for them. I always say PC is superior to console (for games that reside on both, that is), but there several reasons for someone to prefer console over PC.

Having a poll that is allowing a specific console instead of saying either/or just makes this seem like this is nothing more than a thinly-veiled console war thread.
this dude gets it , i agree

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
This conversation hasn't really changed at all.

The main barrier to PC for a lot of people remains hardware cost, not software availability. If the cost of a gaming PC is out of someone's reach then console is easy to recommend. After that it's convenience. If you don't want to manage the quirks of PC gaming then go with a console.

If you can afford it and you game enough PC is pretty much always the right answer. What you gain far outweighs missing out on a handful of console exclusive games. Besides, at this point Sony and Nintendo's first party is pretty much all anyone is missing out on by being a PC gamer. Pretty much everything else is on PC.

So my recommendation is to go to where they have the games you want to play how you want to play them.
I beg to difer. I understand that my position is probably rare but I found myself buying 1000+€/$ PCs and then just using them to play indies like FTL , the binding of Isaac or Rogue legacy 1 and 2. Games that do not need powerful hardware but were "Pc exclusives".

I believe that just for some of thoses indies you need a PC, even not a powerful one. And as long that Sony and Nintendo create amazing games ( and buy exclusivity for thoses games like bloodborne for example) you would need a console as well. But if all PS5 games are destined to PC sooner or later I could recommend someone that de not love Sony exclusives to go full PC.For the Series X I never owned a Microsoft console so I can't talk about it.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Why is there not a "All in, own everything master race including switch"

Out of the options though you would cover the most with a PC + PS5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Series X and PS5 for me which is what I own. No interest in PC gaming. Not going through any hassles or problems nor am I going to take the chance of shitty PC ports. Plus, it would cost more than both consoles combined and every game is digital only. No thanks. I'm a pure single player console only gamer and will stay that way until the end.

RavionUHD

PC for sure, I can basically play all games on PC, even games like Monster Hunter Rise which was only released for the Nintendo Switch.

Aphantallica

Neo Member
I'd say sticking to the console is still worth it. You ensure compatibility with the device you're playing on and can jump right in. No settings to worry about, no compatibility issues to worry about. I fully respect people with the patience to PC game. I'm not one of them. I've given it a fair shake and it doesn't work for me.

Top Bottom