• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 08•03-05•18 Cruise continues to control box office poos on Pooh & friends, BP crosses $700m DOM: 3rd movie to ever to do so

xaosslug

67fiuUK.jpg
DEIqymD.jpg
2TgvnTR.jpg
YL3juAZ.jpg
wbnsGWK.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
97% Mission: Impossible - Fallout
9wcOG.gif
68% Disney's Christopher Robin
8mB0Q.gif
37% The Spy Who Dumped Me
8vteV.gif
79% Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
5f4ew.gif
48% The Equalizer 2
-
-
aAS8X.gif
18% The Darkest Minds
-
-
-
-
n/a Death of a Nation

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Mission: Impossible – Fallout’ Cruises Past ‘Christopher Robin’

Tom Cruise easily conquered Winnie the Pooh at the domestic box office.

“Mission: Impossible – Fallout” generated $35 million from 4,395 locations in its sophomore frame, while Disney’s “Christopher Robin” opened at the lower end of forecasts with $25 million from 3,602 screens.

The sixth installment of the Tom Cruise spy series remains No. 1 at the box office, pocketing $124 million in North America to date. Overseas, it has amassed over $205 million. It opens in China on Aug. 31.

“Christopher Robin,” Disney’s live-action adaptation based on characters from Winnie the Pooh, picked up an additional $4.8 million internationally for a global start of $29.5 million. The movie, which carries a $75 million production budget, has garnered mixed reviews. As expected, families made up 60% of audiences, while 56% of moviegoers were female.

“We believe this is a solid start for this film,” Cathleen Taff, Disney’s head of theatrical distribution, said. “We think this movie will have legs. We don’t have a lot of family film competition behind us.”

Ewan McGregor stars as the eponymous Christopher Robin, while Jim Cummings returns to voice Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, and Brad Garrett joins as Eeyore. Marc Forster directed “Christopher Robin” from a screenplay by Alex Ross Perry and Allison Schroeder.

Lionsgate’s R-rated comedy “The Spy Who Dumped Me” — starring Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon — debuted at No. 3 with $12.3 million on 3,111 locations. Susanna Fogel directed and co-wrote with David Iserson. The cast includes Justin Theroux, Gillian Anderson, Hasan Minhaj, and Sam Heughan.

Newcomer “The Darkest Minds” earned $5.7 million when it launched on 3,127 screens. Fox’s YA dystopian thriller is battling a bleak 19% average on Rotten Tomatoes, though audiences seem slightly more enthusiastic with a B CinemaScore. Jennifer Yuh Nelson, who had a hand in “Kung Fu Panda” and helmed its two sequels, made her live-action directorial debut. Amandla Stenberg, Mandy Moore and Gwendoline Christie round out the cast.

The final wide release, Dinesh D’Souza’s “Death of a Nation,” made $2.3 million on 1,032 screens. The documentary, currently with a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, is the lowest wide release to date for the right-wing conservative filmmaker. D’Souza’s last movie was “Hillary’s America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party,” which made $13 million. His first, “2016: Obama’s America,” topped out with $33 million.

Universal’s “Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again” landed in fourth with $9 million for a domestic tally of $91 million. The jukebox musical has brought in $139 million from international markets for an impressive global tally of $230 million. Sony’s “The Equalizer 2” rounded out the top five, picking up $8.8 million. In three weeks, the Denzel Washington-led sequel has earned $79 million in North America and $7.7 million overseas.

Meanwhile, Disney’s “Black Panther” reached a massive milestone. The Marvel tentpole — starring Chadwick Boseman and directed by Ryan Coogler — crossed $700 million at the domestic box office, one of three films to hit that mark. Worldwide, the movie has grossed $1.3 billion.

“We’re in awe at the power of this film since February,” Taff said. “It speaks to the incredible storytelling of Kevin Feige and Marvel.”

Elsewhere at the box office, Bo Burnham’s “Eighth Grade” earned $2.8 million when it expanded nationwide. A24’s coming-of-age comedy starring Elsie Fisher began its limited run with the best-per-screen average of the year and has since picked up $6.5 million.

Another A24 title, “Never Goin’ Back,” opened with $10,000 on just two screens. The stoner comedy, which debuted at the Sundance Film Festival, stars Mia Mitchell, Camila Morrone and “Saturday Night Live’s” Kyle Mooney.

Filmrise’s “The Miseducation of Cameron Post” nabbed the highest per-theater-average of the week. The romance drama, led by Chloe Grace Moretz, took in $53,000 when it opened on two screens for a solid average of $26,500.

August is off to a stronger start than last summer’s dismal month. This weekend is up 12.4% compared to the same frame last year, according to comScore. The summer box office, which just crossed $7.5 billion, is at an 8% uptick from 2017.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:

kunonabi

Both equalizer flicks are serviceable vigilante flicks lifted up by Denzel's presence and Fuqua's directing. They aren't Man on Fire but still decent enough. I had no idea the budget was so high for this one though.

Gander

Banned
There is a lot of movies that went under the radar I'm just going to have catch some other time. I expected to be able to use Movie Pass until it turned to shit.

oagboghi2

Equalizer 2 is that bad? How was the first one?
EQ2 is doing probably better than expected. We might see a part 3

Good to see Mission Impossible on top again. It's arguably the best action movie released this summer, and shows their is life outside of superheroes

I was really pissed off by reading the makers of The Darkest Minds encouraging people to compare the movie to the ICE controversy.

The nerve of these morons to compare their stupid YA bullshit to actual current events, I'm so glad the movie is tanking.

mckmas8808

Banned
Mission Impossible was SOOO good. So happy to see Black Panther cross the $700Million threshold domestically!!!!! YES!!

Gander

Banned
Is there a class action lawsuit on them yet? I want info on how to participate if there is one.

Top Bottom