• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd B.O. 10•12-14•18 - First Man 3rd as Venom continues to poison box office against all competition

xaosslug

a3nGoUO.jpg
yRAtYQL.jpg
TchaRvh.jpg
sMxVrD4.jpg
8BpvJ1q.jpg

tomatometer:
XsJrh.gif
30% Venom (2018)
9wcOG.gif
90% A Star is Born (2018)
kavuF.gif
88% First Man
3Pj0x.gif
43% Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
0hJB1.gif
74% Smallfoot
-
CBq5r.gif
70% Bad Times At The El Royale
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
64% Beautiful Boy (2018)

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Venom,’ ‘A Star Is Born’ Repeat Box Office Wins, ‘First Man’ Launches to $16.6 Million

Tom Hardy’s “Venom” grabbed $35.7 million to repeat as the winner of the North American box office, followed by Lady Gaga’s “A Star Is Born” with $28 million.

Ryan Gosling’s “First Man” launched in third place at the low end of expectations with $16.6 million at 3,640 sites, edging the opening of Sony’s “Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween” with $16.2 million at 3,521 venues.

“Venom,” which declined 56%, is the first repeat winner at the box office since “Crazy Rich Asians” won three straight weekends in August. Moveigoers have continued to shrug off negative reviews as the movie has taken in more than $142 million domestically at 4,250 locations in its first 10 days for Sony. It’s also continued the dominance of Marvel’s characters in the superhero movie realm.

“A Star Is Born,” bolstered by stellar reviews and fans excited over the Lady Gaga-Bradley Cooper collaboration, declined by only 33% and lifted its 10-day total total to more than $94 million at 3,708 venues.

“First Man” audiences gave the film a B+ CinemaScore. Universal’s distribution president Jim Orr said that the “First Man” results were not disappointing, given that the core audience is an older demographic.

“As we’ve seen in this release corridor, quality films like ‘First Man’ — Certified Fresh at 88% on Rotten Tomatoes — have strong playability and will have tremendous legs at the box office,” he said. “This weekend’s results are a just a starting point. Quality adult dramas released in this time period produce very healthy multiples. This is very much a marathon, not a sprint.”

“First Man,” directed by Damien Chazelle, follows Neil Armstrong’s life and the years leading up to the Apollo 11 mission to the moon in 1969. “First Man,” which premiered at the Venice Film Festival, is receiving a major campaign for awards. Chazelle won the Best Director Academy Award last year for “La La Land.”

“Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween” debuted slightly above expectations as it aims at family audiences. The original opened with $23.6 million in 2015 on its way to an $80 million domestic total.

Warner Bros.’ third weekend of animated comedy “Smallfoot” took the fifth spot with $9.3 million at 3,606 locations for a 17-day total of $57.6 million. Universal’s third weekend of “Night School” followed in sixth with $8 million at 2,870 sites giving the Kevin Hart-Tiffany Haddish comedy nearly $60 million.

Fox’s “Bad Times at the El Royale” opened below estimates in seventh place with $7.2 million at 2,808 screens. The mystery, which had been pegged for a range between $8 million and $12 million prior to the weekend, stars Dakota Johnson, Chris Hemsworth, Cynthia Erivo, Jeff Bridges, Jon Hamm and Nick Offerman. Critics are supporting “Bad Times,” set at a fictional hotel on the California-Nevada border, with a 75% “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Universal’s fourth weekend of “The House With a Clock in its Walls” followed in eighth place with $4 million at 2,791 locations for a 24-day total of $62 million. Fox’s expansion of teen drama “The Hate U Give” finished ninth with $1.8 million at 248 sites.

More to come…

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Wow at Venom. Thought it would be a total bomb but Sony has a nice little hit on their hands.

Review scores and box office don't necessarily go hand in hand. One only needs to look at the Transformers series to realise that. Plus it looks like actual fans seem to like it more than the reviews suggest.

cryptoadam

Banned
Review scores and box office don't necessarily go hand in hand. One only needs to look at the Transformers series to realise that. Plus it looks like actual fans seem to like it more than the reviews suggest.

Its true. But even without the reviews I didn't think Venom was going to be a hit. It had low key bomb written all over it. So I am surprised that inspite of the negativity it had 2 solid weeks. Usually bad word of mouth can sink a film.

I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on the quality but I didn't expect it to have grossed over 140 million by week 2.

And I wanted to add a comment since there is none and I don't want the BO thread to disappear from GAF. Gotta at least give a reply for the OP making the thread. I hope its not only me and you in here LOL.

Kadayi

Banned
And I wanted to add a comment since there is none and I don't want the BO thread to disappear from GAF. Gotta at least give a reply for the OP making the thread. I hope its not only me and you in here LOL.

True enough. I think it's a bit of a quiet period on the film front and I could give a shit about Lady Gulag and Will Tippin making googly eyes at each other.

Codes 208

I enjoyed it, my brother who is the biggest marvel fanatic i know enjoyed it, my gf enjoyed it. I have a long list of peopl who has seen it and not one of them hated it.

I have no idea what the reviewers were talking about, im not even sure i watched the same movie they did

More specifically, i wouldnt put it in my top 10 marvel movies, but its not in my top 10 worst either, its a good in the middle movie, better than TASM1&2, sm3 but not as good as sm1&2 and homecoming

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I enjoyed it, my brother who is the biggest marvel fanatic i know enjoyed it, my gf enjoyed it. I have a long list of peopl who has seen it and not one of them hated it.

I have no idea what the reviewers were talking about, im not even sure i watched the same movie they did

More specifically, i wouldnt put it in my top 10 marvel movies, but its not in my top 10 worst either, its a good in the middle movie, better than TASM1&2, sm3 but not as good as sm1&2 and homecoming

I think we are hitting a point of disjunction between the criteria that film reviewers use to assess something versus fans do, as evinced by TLJ for instance.

Codes 208

I think we are hitting a point of disjunction between the criteria that film reviewers use to assess something versus fans do, as evinced by TLJ for instance.
Indeed, kind of an interesting polar opppsite situation as well as TLJ was raved by critics but panned by fans.

A good reason to stop basing my views purely on the reviews or opinions of others.

Kadayi

Banned
Indeed, kind of an interesting polar opppsite situation as well as TLJ was raved by critics but panned by fans.

A good reason to stop basing my views purely on the reviews or opinions of others.

It depends on which others really. I'd trust proper film critics to be less accurate in their assessment versus geeky reviewers when it comes to existing IP stuff like Venom, but at the same time I'd put more stock in their opinion when it comes to original works.

Codes 208

It depends on which others really. I'd trust proper film critics to be less accurate in their assessment versus geeky reviewers when it comes to existing IP stuff like Venom, but at the same time I'd put more stock in their opinion when it comes to original works.
I suppose thats fair.

Top Bottom