• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Mummy is going be 400mil WW, on it's 125mil Budget. Cruise Missie still hits even when they aim it wrong.

Arthur is the biggest of the lot so far, 140 against 175. So Valerian has some stiff competition.

Though not nearly as big a flop as the other films. The Mummy stands to lose a lot of money. Despite what's been reported, insiders have claimed that the production budget of The Mummy was in the 195 million dollar range in Hollywood Trade sites.

Busty

Banned
Mummy is going be 400mil WW, on it's 125mil Budget. Cruise Missie still hits even when they aim it wrong.

The Mummy certainly isn't a bomb but it certainly isn't a hit either. A domestic gross of just $80m is nothing to shout about.

It's also important to keep in mind that studios never release the true budget of their films and this '$125m' budget that's thrown about may not be accurate.

Factor in budget and P&A spend and even a $400m WW gross probably results in a loss for the studio.

Though not nearly as big a flop as the other films. The Mummy stands to lose a lot of money. Despite what's been reported, insiders have claimed that the production budget of The Mummy was in the 195 million dollar range in Hollywood Trade sites.

Yup, I always found that $125m budget number a little suspect.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

So Pacific Rim, not really a flop, but not really a success either. Where it will depend on investors if they want to pursue.

Having some fun with Box Office Mojo, The Mummy ranked 8 on adventure remakes, behind 8 Below. Which was Paul Walkers most successful film outside FnF.

The Mummy certainly isn't a bomb but it certainly isn't a hit either. A domestic gross of just $80m is nothing to shout about.

It's also important to keep in mind that studios never release the true budget of their films and this '$125m' budget that's thrown about may not be accurate.

Factor in budget and P&A spend and even a $400m WW gross probably results in a loss for the studio.

Especially when you factor in that $91 million of that gross comes from China, where the studio gets a much smaller cut than other places in the world.

Busty

Banned
So Pacific Rim, not really a flop, but not really a success either. Where it will depend on investors if they want to pursue.

Given that Legendary's new owner, Wanda, is divesting itself of a lot of it's media assets unless PacRim2 does incredible business worldwide I'm not sure those investors in future are going to be so generous to projects that make a loss and don't warrant a sequel in the first place.

Especially when you factor in that $91 million of that gross comes from China, where the studio gets a much smaller cut than other places in the world.

Exactly. Suddenly it looks a lot worse when you factor in that near $400m WW gross (taking into account the China 'reduction') is probably $150m or less into the studio.

Yup, I always found that $125m budget number a little suspect.

Yeah, Deadline did a whole article when they were projecting The Mummy's global box office to be 375 million.

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-mummy-tom-cruise-box-office-bomb-loss-1202114482/

kswiston

On a lunch stop.

Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Emoji Movie - $10.1M
2) Dunkirk - $8.0M (-60%) - $83M total
3) Atomic Blonde - $7.1M
4) Girls Trip - $6.2M (-47%) - $52M total
5) Spider-Man Homecoming - $3.9M (-39%) - $268M total
6) War for the Planet of the Apes - $3.0M (-50%) - $111M total
7) Despicable Me 3 - $2.3M (-40%) - $225M total
8) Valerian - $1.8M (-72%) - $26M total
9) Baby Driver - $1.2M (-33%) - $89M total
10) Wonder Eoman - $985k (-22%) - $393M

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Of course because now they pay less money to Sony than they did before. If the movie grosses more than 750MM WW then the percentage of the WW BO gross that Disney has to pay Sony lowers, either a flat lower rate or scaled. That's a motivating factor.

Why would Disney be paying Sony? Sony wholly produces the Spider-Man films, and they not Disney get the profits from them.

Raimi movies were pure hype. They brought back the Super Hero genre in a back way and they were all amazing to boot. It was also the first time Spider-Man was giving a proper representation on screen. It had quite a cultural impact just like Avengers.

If I had to list the 3 most important Super Hero movies since the start of 21th century, I will say: Spider-Man 1, The Dark Knight, Avengers.

Raimi movies were pure hype. They brought back the Super Hero genre in a back way and they were all amazing to boot. It was also the first time Spider-Man was giving a proper representation on screen. It had quite a cultural impact just like Avengers.

If I had to list the 3 most important Super Hero movies since the start of 20th century, I will say: Spider-Man 1, The Dark Knight, Avengers.

No that was X-men...

Spider-Man 3 wasn't amazing...

Why would you put Avengers as more important than Iron Man?

Set pic from the Dynasty Warriors movie:
alkuy.jpg

(We've heard nothing about the Monster Hunter movie etc in the last few months, right?)

No that was X-men...

Spider-Man 3 wasn't amazing...

Why would you put Avengers as more important than Iron Man?
I am not even talking about Spider-Man 3 here?

Avengers proved that the whole cinematic universe idea works if you execute it well. It kickstarted the whole 'cinematic universe' with intervening movies that you see today.

As good as the X-Men movies are, they don't come close to the 3 movies I listed in term of impact. All 3 of these movies also made a shit load of money, created new records not just in domestic but international market as well.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=spiderman.htm

Only adjusts for domestic totals there though. The first Spider-Man films were huge.

Also never knew Spider-Man 3 ended up making less than 2 domestically despite the huge opening weekend. Word of mouth must have been terrible.

It's hilarious how adjusting for inflation makes a movie that hasn't even been out a month somehow go down in gross.

Still a bullshit metric anyways. God, how I wish they actually tracked it as tickets sold instead.

El Topo

God, how I wish they actually tracked it as tickets sold instead.

We have those numbers for Germany at least.

Spider-Man: Homecoming
~560,000 - two weeks out and ~160,000 in its second week

Amazing Spider-Man 2
~1,100,000 total - for comparison, apparently the movie was at ~850,000 after two weeks and dropped like a stone

Amazing Spider-Man
~1,550,000 total

Spider-Man 3
~3,200,000 total

Spider-Man 2
~3,300,000 total

Spider-Man
~5,200,000 total

Numbers taken from this amazing German site.

It's hilarious how adjusting for inflation makes a movie that hasn't even been out a month somehow go down in gross.

Still a bullshit metric anyways. God, how I wish they actually tracked it as tickets sold instead.
It is tracked in term of tickets sold in France and Germany, possibly other countries.

The most tickets sold in France were for Titanic as an example.

So it looks like the Emoji movie might actually take the number 1 spot.

I actually want to see it becuase of how poorly rated it is, but I also don't want to waste money

sense

Hmmm I mean it definitely won't turn a profit or anything, but they aren't going to lose too much on this are they?
How did you come to that conclusion lol. If it makes the projected 20-25 million in domestic market and crawls to 50-60 million then worldwide will make sure it turns a profit although nothing they can brag about. Given the critical reception they might just close the curtains on making any more of them but then again angry birds movie is getting a sequel which also made money despite poor critical reception but not as bad as this......

I am not even talking about Spider-Man 3 here?

Raimi movies were pure hype. They brought back the Super Hero genre in a back way and they were all amazing to boot.

Maybe I'm missing something? Hehe.

And, I would argue that the "Cinematic Universe idea" was proven to work long before The Avengers was released, it was a conclusion to something already known to be a success. The hype for the ending of Iron Man with Nick Fury showed that the audience were onboard.

And, saying that The Avengers "kickstarted" a universe doesn't really ring true to me, it was the 6th (?) movie in that universe.

Maybe I'm missing something? Hehe.

And, I would argue that the "Cinematic Universe idea" was proven to work long before The Avengers was released, it was a conclusion to something already known to be a success. The hype for the ending of Iron Man with Nick Fury showed that the audience were onboard.

And, saying that The Avengers "kickstarted" a universe doesn't really ring true to me, it was the 6th (?) movie in that universe.
Avengers was the culmination of a build up, but the magnitude at which the film exploded compared to the previous entries is what made it such a big deal.

It was the first film to open to more than $200m in a weekend. It didn't just barely beat the old record that Harry Potter 8 set, it crushed it like a bug. Then to have a $100m second weekend? That shit was nuts.

Hell, Avengers could have never released outside of the US and been less than $1m from being the highest grossing MCU film worldwide to that point. It was only the third movie to go over $1.5b worldwide as well at that point. It was a major deal just how successful that film was.

If it had just been a marginal increase over the previous entries, it would have been a success. But it was an absolute monster that took almost everyone by surprise. Following the box office tracking that weekend was very interesting, because the numbers kept climbing and climbing and people didn't know what they hell to think or predict anymore. NOT A RECORD!

Tamanon

Banned
The only way I could be less surprised with the Emoji Movie taking the top spot would be if it was called "Adam Sandler's The Emoji Movie".

Top Bottom