• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Litan

Maybe I'm missing something? Hehe.

And, I would argue that the "Cinematic Universe idea" was proven to work long before The Avengers was released, it was a conclusion to something already known to be a success. The hype for the ending of Iron Man with Nick Fury showed that the audience were onboard.

And, saying that The Avengers "kickstarted" a universe doesn't really ring true to me, it was the 6th (?) movie in that universe.
Lol, what?
The 30 seconds end credits scene is not what proved connected cinematic universes a success. The two and a half hours team-up movie, The Avengers, did that.

Like, there's not even an argument to be made here. The massive success of The Avengers is what made Marvel what they are today.

Maybe I'm missing something? Hehe.

And, I would argue that the "Cinematic Universe idea" was proven to work long before The Avengers was released, it was a conclusion to something already known to be a success. The hype for the ending of Iron Man with Nick Fury showed that the audience were onboard.

And, saying that The Avengers "kickstarted" a universe doesn't really ring true to me, it was the 6th (?) movie in that universe.
Which movie showed that it worked though? Previously, there were just little cameos and references in each movie and with Avengers, it was the first time the big payoff happened and of course it managed to do it really well. Leaving aside Iron Man, the rest of the MCU didn't exactly make big money. The first Captain America and Thor movies were all below half billion. Hulk was the lowest grossing movie in MCU.

It was only after The Avengers that all the other Super Heroes started getting post-Avengers bump. Previously, only Iron Man could have pulled big numbers but after Avengers, Captain America and Thor all had a huge bump in their box office gross while Iron Man 3 jumped to a whole another level. Now it is pretty average to see a MCU movie grossing half billion and above at the box office.

The Avengers was the point when Marvel realized their future was building their universe and team-ups instead of just smaller individual stories, because that's what excited people.

Don't forget they were still intent on making the Runaways movie until basically the moment it exploded, and it's since been relegated to (streaming) TV.

MCU worldwide box office leading to The Avengers

The Incredible Hulk - $263,427,551
Captain America 1 - $370,569,774
Thor 1 - $449,326,618
Iron Man 1 - $585,174,222
Iron Man 2 - $623,933,331

Average - $458 million
Average (no Iron Man) - $360 million

MCU worldwide box office post-Avengers and pre-Avengers 2

Thor 2: The Dark World - $644,571,402
Captain America 2 - $714,264,267
Iron Man 3 - $1,214,811,252
Guardians of the Galaxy - $773,328,629

Average - $836 million
Average (no Iron Man) - $710 million

None of the X-Men films broke box office records.

The first one kinda did iirc. One of the biggest opening week-ends for a non-sequel I believe.
Not that I disagree that Spider-Man had a much bigger impact but the X-Men films definitely deserve some credit for the explosion of the superhero genre.

After some googling, I found this in an old Guardian article:

The comic book adaptation, X-Men, has opened in the US to huge success. It has taken $57.5m over its opening weekend, making it the biggest non-holiday, non-sequel ever. It is also the fourth largest three-day opening after such heavy weights as The Phantom Menace, Jurassic Park and Mission: Impossible 2.

Remember when M:I 2 was big for a hot minute?

I think Slenderman fits. Kswis coming out of the wood to drop those numbers.

Nah, Predator style. Just decloaking and throwing in those numbers and then walking off while cloaking again.

"take it"

predator2o.png

Also explains vicious sniping in other threads.

predator-mac-target.jpg

"You see it? Past those posts..."
*blam!*

It's pretty interesting how we're getting two R-rated very original-creator driven comic movie reboots at the same time (Spawn and Hellboy).

The Deadpool effect?

Schlorgan

The first one kinda did iirc. One of the biggest opening week-ends for a non-sequel I believe.
Not that I disagree that Spider-Man had a much bigger impact but the X-Men films definitely deserve some credit for the explosion of the superhero genre.
I think X-Men gets some credit, but I doubt other studios would have gotten really big on it if Spider-Man hadn't blown up.

The first X-Men made $237m WW. Spider-Man nearly doubled that just in the US and went on to have a $800m WW gross, not adjusting for inflation.

That is an event film.

Lima

Should've expected this form the person who pimped out Valerian. 🌝

Sick burn. Still haven't seen Valerian. Looks like tomorrow is my only chance to see this on a larger premium screen with Atmos sound so I should probably get my ass to the theater. 10am showing though. That's too early on Sunday for me ugh.

This is what everyone's going to be talking about from that interview, and when you click the link you'll see why

Because it can get much worse than this

Twitch is often accompanied by his partner Sam, but McFarlane didn't mention if he will also play a part in the Spawn reboot.

Maybe that's because the two fan favorites will have their own series soon on the BBC, helmed by a well-known director and comic enthusiast.

"We're developing Sam and Twitch over at BBC America that Kevin Smith is attached to. Hopefully, they'll sign off on that and he's going to write and direct all that."

that Kevin Smith is attached to

so much worse *shudder*

X-Men never made it big overseas even at its peak. It was mostly popular domestic. Before the Super Hero explosion, the original X-Men trilogy never hit half billion. It is not like the movies were any less expensive either. While the original X-Men cost $75 million, the sequels just ballooned in budget with X-2 costing $110 million and The Last Stand with whooping $210 million. Yet their box office gross were not sufficient enough to carry on with their budget.

Compare that to the Raimi Trilogy which averaged out $800 million and above per each movie. Even if the budget were bigger for these movies, they also made a shit load of money in cinema and in the home video market.

Sick burn. Still haven't seen Valerian. Looks like tomorrow is my only chance to see this on a larger premium screen with Atmos sound so I should probably get my ass to the theater. 10am showing though. That's too early on Sunday for me ugh.

Do it.

Toa TAK

Banned
See Atomic Blonde instead.

Top Bottom