• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Remind me, did Sony bank hard on Emoji movie to hopefully raise their price in case a company wanted to buy them? Seem to recall an article about it from 2016.

X-Men never made it big overseas even at its peak. It was mostly popular domestic. Before the Super Hero explosion, the original X-Men trilogy never hit half billion. It is not like the movies were any less expensive either. While the original X-Men cost $75 million, the sequels just ballooned in budget with X-2 costing $110 million and The Last Stand with whooping $210 million. Yet their box office gross were not sufficient enough to carry on with their budget.

Compare that to the Raimi Trilogy which averaged out $800 million and above per each movie. Even if the budget were bigger for these movies, they also made a shit load of money in cinema and in the home video market.

I mean yeah, I pretty much admitted in my post that the Raimi films were a much bigger phenomenon. I just wanted to mention that X-Men did in fact break some records back in 2000. But Chamber summed it up well:

X-Men and Blade cracked the door open for comic book films after Batman & Robin nearly closed it. Spider-Man blew the door off the hinges.

What happened to Blade though? Why wasn't any serious attempt made to capitalize on its success?

This reminds me how Blade Trinity had Ryan Reynolds. So random, lol.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What happened to Blade though? Why wasn't any serious attempt made to capitalize on its success?

This reminds me how Blade Trinity had Ryan Reynolds. So random, lol.
They wanted to spin off Ryan Reynolds character and the biel's into a new film series (Might Stalker's) and essentially ditch Wesley snipes and blade character largely. Snipes proceeded to self sabotage blade trinity.

Most likely bs considered the budget is so low. Since then they have made several appointments for the pictures and tv divisions and announced more movies for the foreseeable future. They aren't going anywhere for atleast a couple more years if not more

Spider-Man Homecoming's failure
success
has likely saved Sony Picutre Entertainment for the next years.
That's what I thought.

kswiston

Anyone who watches the Emoji movie needs to do themselves a favour and watch Norm of the North right after.

And Rock Dog.

Illinois' Tollway sucks. I'm not even mad about the constant $1.50 stops. Just have more than 2 people servicing hundreds of tolls.

Dunkirk is doing well overseas. Curious to see how China reacts to the film.

gamz

And Rock Dog.

Illinois' Tollway sucks. I'm not even mad about the constant $1.50 stops. Just have more than 2 people servicing hundreds of tolls.

Welcome Swis! Yeah, the tolls a bitch without Ipass.

Slayven

And Rock Dog.

I tried to make Rock Dog happen

Schlorgan

Valerian is a better time than anything Abrahms has put out. M:I 3 still isn't worse than M:I 2 though.
200w.gif

Valerian is a better time than anything Abrahms has put out. M:I 3 still isn't worse than M:I 2 though.

I haven't seen Valerian yet, but I have a hard time imagining it surpassing anything JJ. Especially Star Trek.
You understand.
Is there a reason I'm unaware of that's contributing to the size of this particular box office thread?
We have nothing better to do. And this has kinda become a clique.

Is there a reason I'm unaware of that's contributing to the size of this particular box office thread?

Lots of interesting releases that we don't have firm estimates or ideas for.

- How big will Dunkirk be?
- Emoji Movie's take vs bad reviews
- Wonder Woman legs.
- Valerian bombing right out
- Where will Spider-Man Homecoming land?

jett

D-Member

These threads have been consistently growing into a larger in-forum community of...something over the last couple of months. Mostly having something to do with BronsonLee, it seems. Really though, this is the beginnings of another FilmGAF Community Thread (separate from the monthly "movies you've seen" threads). At this point each box office thread is smaller part of a bigger collective.

And Rock Dog.

Not that you'll ever have to do this again, but you can drive though the whole thing and just look up your license plate on their website and pay the tolls later.

These threads have been consistently growing into a larger in-forum community of...something over the last couple of months. Mostly having something to do with BronsonLee, it seems. Really though, this is the beginnings of another FilmGAF Community Thread (separate from the monthly "movies you've seen" threads). At this point each box office thread is smaller part of a bigger collective.

Honestly, while it would hurt the length of the weekly threads, it'd be cool to have a general Box Office GAF thread where we could discuss general and historical trends without having to reset the discussion every week.

Lately a lot of the thread size has been somewhat artificially inflated not just by people enjoying the act of talking to each other, but by people wondering why people are enjoying talking to each other to the point where the thread seems large.

It's also box-office & film discussion happening in there too. So it's not just a community doing what a community does.

So basically:

• The Box-Office/Film Industry is really interesting this year in a lot of ways.
  • The community that discusses those things is simultaneously growing in size AND becoming more comfy as a community
  • Spinoff discussions about film in general and other trivia occur between bits of analysis/number crunching
  • People are starting to apply that analysis/number crunching TO the thread itself.
  • Which sorta makes for concentric circles of discussion rippling out.

Also, more often than not, shit's just fun and not that fighty.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The real reason why BO Gaf has been blowing up.

-WW's Legs. Another film basically smashing records.
-Lots of bombs.
-BronsonLee fighting with half the thread

Apart from Life, most Sony movies do well this year. Resident Evil made a huge profit, Smurfs was profitable, Baby Driver is doing really well and even Emoji Movie will make buck.

Baby Driver doing really well is one of the feel-good stories of the box-office, really. I don't think a lot of people were giving that much of a shot, especially once it got moved back into the heart of summer.

Turned out to be a decent move. Although I still wonder if it would have had a better opening/better legs if it'd stayed in August.

Hard to argue against Edgar Wright's first $100mil domestic earner, though.

A decent amount to talk about in terms of films lately, we are in summer so there's been lots of releases.

Also Box Office GAF is one of the best communities on GAF in general, its a fun place to hang out (though honestly I haven't been super active in this weeks thread)

Top Bottom