• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

These thread should die down in August and September. Well, unless The Dark Tower or Flatliners become the surprise hits of 2017.

Speaking of how well/poorly Sony is doing this year...

Honestly, though, unless Flatliners or Dark Tower breaks out, Jumanji is arguably going to be the second most important movie Sony releases this year. Rothman doesn't have a hit he can call his own yet since taking over the studio (Homecoming belongs to Marvel and arguably to Pascal, and I think Baby Driver was greenlit before he took over), and if Jumanji isn't it, then people start to question if it's ever going to happen under him.

I think Kingsmen 2 is expected to take or come close to the September opening weekend record also

Either that or IT, which has many of the ancillary numbers people look at to predict box office in its favor.

Legit the best part about this community is how much we can talk / disagree / debate about movies and there's very little hatred / bad vibes that get spread (well unless your BronsonLee).

I've been long time super invested in following the gaming industry sales / business side but its so hard to get good convo going now days without huge console wars or something going down. Box Office GAF keeps it both fun and good analysis

spwolf

Honestly, though, unless Flatliners or Dark Tower breaks out, Jumanji is arguably going to be the second most important movie Sony releases this year. Rothman doesn't have a hit he can call his own yet since taking over the studio (Homecoming belongs to Marvel and arguably to Pascal, and I think Baby Driver was greenlit before he took over), and if Jumanji isn't it, then people start to question if it's ever going to happen under him.

Either that or IT, which has many of the ancillary numbers people look at to predict box office in its favor.

sony movies division is going to be a lot more profitable this year than last two, so yeah he is going to get a credit for... so will Kaz.

Boke1879

Legit the best part about this community is how much we can talk / disagree / debate about movies and there's very little hatred / bad vibes that get spread (well unless your BronsonLee).

I've been long time super invested in following the gaming industry sales / business side but its so hard to get good convo going now days without huge console wars or something going down. Box Office GAF keeps it both fun and good analysis

I agree with this 1000%

We can all unite in giving Bronson shit. But it always comes from a place of love.

sony movies division is going to be a lot more profitable this year than last two, so yeah he is going to get a credit for... so will Kaz.

Yes, they're going to be more profitable than last year, but that's because they willing took an impairment charge of over $900 million last year. Without that, they would have been about at break-even last year as a studio. Homecoming and maybe Baby Driver are probably going to guarantee that they at least hit that level this year, since they don't have any other movies coming out that can completely tank their yearly financials. But major studios nowadays are judged by how many blockbusters/blockbuster franchises they have, and right now Sony only has one (Spidey) with no other sure bets in the near future (hence the Spidey spin-offs to try to wring more blockbusters out of the IP).

Slayven

Hey guys how about avatar/manofsteel/aforceawakens/divergent?

JB1981

The IMAX Lincoln Square Dunkirk screenings are always sold out and their 70MM theater seems MASSIVE. Might have to see the movie there another time in regular 70MM

Sanjuro

The IMAX Lincoln Square Dunkirk screenings are always sold out and their 70MM theater seems MASSIVE. Might have to see the movie there another time in regular 70MM

I forget the actual total of days, but we sold out Force Awakens on two IMAX screens for over two months.

I thought I'd heard that Sony was already looking to bounce Rothman? Not just regular ol' gossip, but someone actually printed that ol' gossip somewhere? Maybe I'm just imagining it.

But yeah, dude sucks. Has always sucked. Will always suck.

We can all unite in giving Bronson shit. But it always comes from a place of love.

I love setting his ass on fire with a good Shoryuken

Proud to have contributed to this. Genuinely my film of the summer so far, if not for the whole year

I think its EASILY the best shot / best paced film of the year so far.

Not sure if its the movie I enjoyed the most, but it is an absolutely beautiful film in terms of the crafting of it

El Topo

Honestly, though, unless Flatliners or Dark Tower breaks out, Jumanji is arguably going to be the second most important movie Sony releases this year.

The Flatliners remake honestly looks like something going to Netflix straight. Jumanji...should probably do well if they don't screw this up? I mean, it reminds me of Journey 2 and that one made $330m.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Can I ask anyone familiar with the original Flatliners, is the new one a faithful remake? Because I always thought that movie was a low-key drama and the new one looks like a goofball horror movie.

The Jumanji trailer played well with my audience at Homecoming.

Who knows if quality wise it will just be another Baywatch but I though the trailer was decently funny

El Topo

I assume Jumanji is going to aimed at children though, unlike Baywatch and its R-rated comedy attempt? Assuming it doesn't suck ass and is marketed decently I would say it could perform decently, no?
Although I have no idea if a movie like that works in December.

El Topo

Come on, Jack Black isn't gonna carry shit. I still like him though. A shame he hasn't been all that much in movies these past years.

Most people like Jack Black in movies. I agree he isn't a headline draw but I think he adds to an ensemble for a comedy. I think having his name involved certainly helps a bit.

Jumanji is going to do well. $40m OW/$130m DOM incoming.

image.php

jett

D-Member
Jack Black is a pretty likable dude, but the last decent movie he made was probably Tropic Thunder nearly a decade ago. These days he's like surefire way of knowing if what you're going to watch is garbage or nah.

Most people like Jack Black in movies. I agree he isn't a headline draw but I think he adds to an ensemble for a comedy. I think having his name involved certainly helps a bit.

This. I'm specifically talking about the combination of all them together. Somebody not interested in the film for The Rock and Kevin Hart, may check it out for Jack Black.

Elandyll

Banned
Yes, they're going to be more profitable than last year, but that's because they willing took an impairment charge of over $900 million last year. Without that, they would have been about at break-even last year as a studio. Homecoming and maybe Baby Driver are probably going to guarantee that they at least hit that level this year, since they don't have any other movies coming out that can completely tank their yearly financials. But major studios nowadays are judged by how many blockbusters/blockbuster franchises they have, and right now Sony only has one (Spidey) with no other sure bets in the near future (hence the Spidey spin-offs to try to wring more blockbusters out of the IP).
RE 7 made bank at north of $300m on a $40m budget.
Smurfs lost village disappointed but still did relatively well at $200m on a $60m budget.
Underworld BW also disappointed but probably didn't outright lose money at $81m over $35m.
Life made $100m on $58, so probably didn't lose much.
The Emoji movie will not set the world on fire (thank god), but it could do at least as good as Angry birds it looks like, or close (possibly $300m+ on a $50m budget)
Homecoming, on a $175m (possibly $190), is making BIG bank, with already $600m at 3 weeks, without 2 of its biggest foreign markets (Japan and China, to open in August). We're looking at north of $800m quite possibly.

The unknowns are Jumanji (with the trailer, I think it'll do fine) but moreso The Dark Tower imo, although it sounds like they managed to keep its budget relatively tight (I read $60m).

Looks to me that SPE is having a pretty great year.
#shrug

Jack Black is a pretty likable dude, but the last decent movie he made was probably Tropic Thunder nearly a decade ago. These days he's like surefire way of knowing if what you're going to watch is garbage or nah.

Tropic Thunder was pretty much the peak of the entire cast's careers.

Top Bottom