• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

berzeli

Banned
I still don't get people's obsession with Sony.

Paramount is way more fucked.

And a garbage company filled with garbage people.

So like.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RE 7 made bank at north of $300m on a $40m budget.
Smurfs lost village dissappointed but still did relatively well at $200m on a $60m budget.
Underworld BW also disappointed but probably didn't outright lose money at $81m over $35m.
Life made $100m on $58, so probably didn't lose much.
The Emoji movie will not set the world on fire (thank god), but it could do at least as good as Angry birds it looks like, or close (possibly $300m+ on a $50m budget)
Homecoming, on a $175m (possibly $190), is making BIG bank, with already $600m atv3 weeks, without 2 of its biggest foreign markets (Japan and China, to open in August). We're looking at north of $800m quite possibly.

The unknowns are Jumanji (with the trailer, I think it'll do fine) but moreso The Dark Tower imo, although it sounds likenthey managed to keep its budget relatively tight (I read $60m).

Looks to me that SPE is having a pretty great year.
#shrug

You have to look at where that money is coming from, though. Studios get more money from the domestic gross than they do international, and even internationally there's a difference between what they get from China and what they get from other countries. Also, those budgets don't include marketing, which is important. The good thing for Sony is that all of those movies had manageable budgets (according to Box Office Mojo, Life had the biggest non-Homecoming live action budget at $58 million, and Smurfs was only barely above it at $60 million), which means while some might not have done well, none of them were expensive enough to land in outright bomb territory.

Damn that is deep, and kinda of true. Especially for Brandon Jackson

Big_Mommas_Poster.jpg

220px-Percy-Jackson-Sea-poster.jpg

whomp

jett

D-Member
It's his greatest performance.

I don't know about that, he was fantastic in Chaplin. Looking over his filmography though, I see a lot of movies that I have never watched and have no interest in ever watching either.

But Tropic Thunder is definitely his best since his comeback.

Busty

Banned

So like.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. Sony has Spider-Man so it gets attention from the fanboy press. Paramount doesn't have any superheroes and so it's mostly anonymous in these conversations.

With their one lifeline, Transformers, tanking this summer Paramount have the potential ignominy of completely falling off the fanboy radar altogether unless they somehow pull the next Hunger Games or Twilight out of a hat.

Jumanji is going to do well. $40m OW/$130m DOM incoming.

From what I hear Jumanji has been testing well..., but then again so did CHIPs so make of that what you will.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
How young? Brandon Jackson's in his early thirties now.

I would consider that young in Hollywood. Right now, we have Ray Fisher, Daniel Kaluuya and Michael B. Jordan in good positions and thats about it. I guess the Straight Outta Compton crew isn't doing too bad either.

I take umbrage with the fact that I bring bad vibes/negativity to this thread, I am a beacon of light

Also Bobby let's throw down, I got Ed tech now

I agree. Sony has Spider-Man so it gets attention from the fanboy press. Paramount doesn't have any superheroes and so it's mostly anonymous in these conversations.

With their one lifeline, Transformers, tanking this summer Paramount have the potential ignominy of completely falling off the fanboy radar altogether unless they somehow pull the next Hunger Games or Twilight out of a hat.

From what I hear Jumanji has been testing well..., but then again so did CHIPs so make of that what you will.

Paramount has completely gone in the dump. The CBS wing is now the dominant part of the company. The one silver lining is that a studio without franchise hits to lean on might take some risks that might pay off.

Also Paramount needs to get off its ass and start releasing their back catalogue on Blu Ray again.

Boke1879

I would consider that young in Hollywood. Right now, we have Ray Fisher, Daniel Kaluuya and Michael B. Jordan in good positions and thats about it. I guess the Straight Outta Compton crew isn't doing too bad either.

Don't forget the homie. John Boyega.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

So like.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well Paramount has now Jim Gianopulos at the helm of the company, so I think good things will come in a few years time once his slate of films come to bear.

Sony has just been a mess for a while so people gravitate more towards that + Spidey rights.

Lakeith Stanfield, John Boyega, Trevante Rhodes, Andre Holland, RJ Cyler, Bryan Tyree Henry, Jacob Latimore, etc...

Prompto

Banned
Is there a list of any young male Hispanic actors who are getting big movie roles? Cause the only one that comes to my mind is Oscar Isaac and he's about to be 40. I guess the guy from The Grand Budapest Hotel and Spider-Man Homecoming counts also.

Slayven

Is there a list of any young male Hispanic actors who are getting big movie roles? Cause the only one that comes to my mind is Oscar Isaac and he's about to be 40. I guess the guy from The Grand Budapest Hotel and Spider-Man Homecoming counts also.

Freddie Prinze Jr. is the only one i can think of off the dome, but that was eons ago in hollywood years

berzeli

Banned

True.

I wonder if their expanded Transformer universe is dead, or how they will react to The Last Knight underperforming.
Paramount has completely gone in the dump. The CBS wing is now the dominant part of the company. The one silver lining is that a studio without franchise hits to lean on might take some risks that might pay off.

Also Paramount needs to get off its ass and start releasing their back catalogue on Blu Ray again.
CBS is technically its own company.
But there was an unprecedented amount of fuckery with regards to National Amusements (which basically controls CBS and Viacom(Paramount)) where basically every living Redstone sued each other. It was like GoT but in corporate America (and unlike GoT didn't diminish in quality as it went on).

Like I said, they're a garbage company filled with garbage people. They genuinely just don't care.
Well Paramount has now Jim Gianopulos at the helm of the company, so I think good things will come in a few years time once his slate of films come to bear.

Sony has just been a mess for a while so people gravitate more towards that + Spidey rights.
Exactly how do you envision Gianopulos will save Paramount? Their issues run deeper than just the guy at the helm.

Paramount has been just as much of a mess (minus the hack), and have been losing more money than Sony.

3 of the best directors working in the industry right now are Mexican.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I was going to say Diego Luna but he's 37.

This is a video game forum and they make video game consoles and many people who visit here have a weird relationship with the corporate entities who provide their entertainment. To the point where these corporations end up being personified, whether they have a mascot or not.

Plus as a company, they've been run fairly terribly on the movie side for a very long time. Plus Paramount didn't get hacked.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
True.

I wonder if their expanded Transformer universe is dead, or how they will react to The Last Knight underperforming.

Exactly how do you envision Gianopulos will save Paramount? Their issues run deeper than just the guy at the helm.

Paramount has been just as much of a mess (minus the hack), and have been losing more money than Sony.

On the first statement, the spin-off film Bumblebee just finished most of its casting and should start filming by next month I believe - the budget will most likely have been trimmed given The Last Knight's under-performance though that's for sure.

Gianopulos is a smart executive, I don't doubt his ability in bringing some life back into Paramount. And I think you know this as well, but Paramount/Viacom is in their current situation because of Philippe Dauman's awful tenure as CEO of the company. It's going to take some time before Paramount can be viewed as a "competitor," but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Sony getting hacked while terrible for them, gave me and everyone else tons of entertainment. Thank Seth Rogen and James Franco for your amazingly ridiculous ideas.

berzeli

Banned
This is a video game forum and they make video game consoles and many people who visit here have a weird relationship with the corporate entities who provide their entertainment. To the point where these corporations end up being personified, whether they have a mascot or not.

Plus as a company, they've been run fairly terribly on the movie side for a very long time. Plus Paramount didn't get hacked.
Fair.

Like I said, I might have a thing about Paramount.
On the first statement, the spin-off film Bumblebee just finished most of its casting and should start filming by next month I believe - the budget will most likely have been trimmed given The Last Knight's under-performance though that's for sure.

Gianopulos is a smart executive, I don't doubt his ability in bringing some life back into Paramount. And I think you know this as well, but Paramount/Viacom is in their current situation because of Philippe Dauman's awful tenure as CEO of the company. It's going to take some time before Paramount can be viewed as a "competitor," but I wouldn't count them out just yet.
Well, I hope for their sake it's trimmed.

That's part of what I alluded to with Paramount having deeper issues than just its CEO, Brad Grey who was CEO for Paramount before Gianopulos wasn't dumb (though his later tenure wasn't exactly stellar).
Viacom has reorganised their approach to TV (consolidating channels, rebranding Spike TV to the Paramount Network, etc.), but haven't seen much news about the film business.

You have to look at where that money is coming from, though. Studios get more money from the domestic gross than they do international, and even internationally there's a difference between what they get from China and what they get from other countries. Also, those budgets don't include marketing, which is important. The good thing for Sony is that all of those movies had manageable budgets (according to Box Office Mojo, Life had the biggest non-Homecoming budget at $58 million), which means while some might not have done well, none of them were expensive enough to land in outright bomb territory.

Marketing spend is not that important to make back during the theater run because marketing a film or a franchise is valuable in the long term. If you're aware of a film but don't get around to watching it until two years later on DVD, the marketing still worked.

Cvie

I legit thought they were from the second one, I thought he had made a joke about how forgettable they are he forgot which movie they were in.

Patriots7

Sony also went through an exhaustive search to find a new CEO for Sony Pictures...One of his tasks is better cooperation with Sony Interactive Entertainment.

If Spider-Man goes to shit, Valiant-verse bombs and nothing else sticks (Dark Tower, Jumanji), Sony can at least tap into it's own IP. Not to mention Sony Pictures Television is the Company's lifeblood.

Paramount is just poopy.

Marketing spend is not that important to make back during the theater run because marketing a film or a franchise is valuable in the long term. If you're aware of a film but don't get around to watching it until two years later on DVD, the marketing still worked.

Marketing spend matters when we're talking about a company's financials, or whether or not a specific movie made money. You watching the film 2 years later on DVD (or, let's be real, nowadays it's 2 years later on a streaming service) is worth less to a studio than you watching it during it's theatrical run. Even if it were on DVD, by the time we get to 2 years later unless you're talking about a Frozen level success they aren't even printing the DVD in large quantities anymore and just trying to sell out an earlier printing. And not every movie is supposed to be a franchise. There probably wasn't going to be a Passengers 2 even if that movie had done well, for instance.

Sony also went through an exhaustive search to find a new CEO for Sony Pictures...One of his tasks is better cooperation with Sony Interactive Entertainment.

If Spider-Man goes to shit, Valiant-verse bombs and nothing else sticks (Dark Tower, Jumanji), Sony can at least tap into it's own IP. Not to mention Sony Pictures Television is the Company's lifeblood.

Paramount is just poopy.

The TLOU movie is basically in development hell. The Uncharted movie has been rebooted more than once, and I believe all we have right now is that Holland is starring and it's going to be a young Drake. Ratchet and Clank thoroughly under-performed, which is actually kind of impressive for a kids movie that actually had some marketing. There was supposed to be a Sly Cooper movie that no one has really heard anything about for a while now. And then we get to the fact that Resident Evil is basically the only video game based movie series that has had any sustained success.

Slayven

Yo Vinny whats the word on the Divergent tv series?
I completely forgot about these characters. Like, wow.
They were some of the best parts. Especially when they me tup with the Prez

Fair.

Like I said, I might have a thing about Paramount.

Hey, your thing for Paramount isn't out of bounds in the least. They been fucking up.

For example: I'm not forgiving em for the marketing on Into Darkness OR Beyond.

(I remember hearing Paramount wanted to spoil the Khan thing during March Madness and Abrams talked em out of it. Shoulda just sprang it. Letting Abrams run that campaign the way he wanted hurt both the film the studio, AND Abrams)

(didn't hurt Abrams that much, but it did hurt him.)

Top Bottom