• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

xaosslug

qfwsMMl.jpg
xOF6mmZ.jpg
1lqxsjP.jpg
gRDkhev.jpg
cVwjxKC.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
93% Dunkirk
eptv7.gif
08% The Emoji Movie
kavuF.gif
88% Girl's Trip
8vteV.gif
75% Atomic Blonde
0hJB1.gif
92% Spider-Man: Homecoming
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
CBq5r.gif
94% Detroit
-
n/a Mubarakan

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Dunkirk' Beats Out ‘Emoji Movie,' ‘Atomic Blonde' to Repeat No. 1

An unlikely battle emerged at the box office this weekend between ”The Emoji Movie" and ”Dunkirk." As of Saturday morning the animated feature and war epic seemed to be in a dead heat. But by Sunday morning, most of the dust had settled, and it appears ”Dunkirk" will once again be the weekend's first place film.

Christopher Nolan's latest from Warner Bros. over-performed last weekend as it opened to over $50 million, showing that the director, combined with positive critical reception, still has a strong draw — even for a movie lacking movie star power, and at risk of being written off as yet another World War II movie. This time around it looks to take in $28.1 million from 3,748 locations, for a strong hold.

That means Sony's ”Emoji Movie" is in second for the weekend with $25.7 million from 4,075 locations. The animated adventure took a lot of heat from critics — reaction ranged from meh to horrible, earning its current Rotten Tomatoes score of 8%. Its B CinemaScore is also quite low for an animated movie, meaning audiences aren't particularly enjoying the movie either.

T.J. Miller plays the central character, a ”Meh" emoji who has ”no filter," meaning his expression can change. The same cannot be said for the rest of the cast, which includes James Corden, Anna Faris, Maya Rudolph, Christina Aguilera, and Sofia Vergara. Oh yeah, and Sir Patrick Stewart plays ”Poop."

”We're thrilled," said Sony's marketing chief Josh Greenstein. ”The audience has spoken and made the ‘Emoji Movie' a family event."

That leaves this week's other major release, ”Atomic Blonde" somewhat straggling. Focus Features and Sierra/Affinity is looking at a decent, but slightly below expectations launch for the Charlize Theron-starrer with $18.5 million from 3,304 locations. Earlier in the week ”Blonde" was pegged at $20 million, but the opening weekend result is still solid considering its $30 million budget. It's also one of the largest launches for Focus, behind only ”Insidious Chapter 3" ($22.7 million); ”London Has Fallen" ($21.6 million); and ”Burn After Reading" ($19.1 million).

The R-rated spy thriller has been compared to a female ”Bond" or ”John Wick." After all, it shares DNA with the latter in stuntman-turned-director David Leitch, who will next helm the ”Deadpool" sequel. ”Blonde's" launch is bigger than the first ”Wick," which opened in Fall 2014 to $14.4 million, but less than its sequel ($30.4 million).

In ”Blonde," Theron plays a hardcore action star — the type of character that knocked out audiences in ”Mad Max: Fury Road" — named Lorraine Broughton. The rest of the cast includes James McAvoy, John Goodman, and Sofia Boutella.

”We're very happy with the opening. I feel this movie is going to have legs to it," said Lisa Bunnell, distribution chief at Focus Features.

Bunnell also pointed to Focus' commitment to putting women in and front and behind the camera with recent releases including ”The Beguiled" and ”The Zookeeper's Wife." ”There's always a thought process behind ‘Let's see some diversity,'" she said. ”This is definitely a movie where Charlize takes center stage ... she can fight men, and she can beat men, so it's a really empowering movie to go see."

”Blonde" will land just below the summer comedy event that ”Girls Trip" has become. Universal's launch is posting $20.1 million during its second weekend from 2,648 theaters, for only a 36% drop from last weekend. Conversely, EuropaCorp and STX's ”Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" flopped last weekend, and is falling off fast. This weekend, Luc Besson's epic domestic dud should make $6.8 million from 3,553 locations.

Annapurna showed Kathryn Bigelow's ”Detroit" at 20 locations before its wide rollout next weekend. From those theaters, the critically approved crime drama took in $365,455 for a per screen average of $18,273.

more to come...

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

Girls Trip's holds are quality, but I think a few of us saw that coming.

I'm wondering how far into the run we go before Wonder Woman finally stops making a million over the weekend.

kswiston

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $819M
Pirates 5 - $776M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $633M
Transformers 5 - $569M
Cars 3 - $268M
Dunkirk - $234M

Neith

Banned
Sony making that money off straight trash and makin' yo kids stupid too. Kids go play videogames instead.

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $819M
Pirates 5 - $776M
Spider-Man Homecoming - $633M
Transformers 5 - $569M
Cars 3 - $268M

It's honestly so gross what the masses go to see IMO.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Atomic Blonde opens at #4 and we're probably getting an Emoji Movie 2.

Between this, Trump, & Pats winning the Super Bowl, God could not make it clearer that she abandoned us a long long time ago

Angel_DvA

Nice for Dunkirk, the rest of the list is pretty meh, still waiting for Atomic Blonde to release there to see if the movie is as good as a Bourne/Wick one.

JB1981

Can't believe Wonder Woman trounced a Marvel Spider-Man movie.

Go go Dunkirk. Who knew a British WW2 picture would play this well in the states. Nolan really does have some serious pull. Word of mouth must be pretty strong.

Ninjimbo

I'm impressed that Dunkirk made back its money. Although I liked it, the vibe in the theater was pretty mixed and talking with my friends about it, nobody seemed to have any strong love for it. I thought for sure that WoM wouldn't be strong.

Good for Nolan and WB tho. I'm glad the movie found an audience.

Alrus

Still have to wonder why Lucy was such an insane success and why no other low-ish budget female lead action flick has managed to replicate it.

jayu26

Still have to wonder why Lucy was such an insane success.

Marketing? I really don't know. It didn't review like Baby Driver and Scarlet clearly doesn't have that kind of pull herself, neither does Luc for that matter. So I don't really know.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Most American went to see Grown Ups 2 instead of Pacific Rim back then. Sony knows their market.

That's debatable if that's the right call or not. Pacific Rim was horrible.

So, is Planet of the Apes underperforming? They aren't even close to making back that budget. Has it released worldwide yet?

jett

D-Member
I dig this thread title lol.

I don't dig that I have to open it in Firefox to see emojis instead of squares.

Alienfan

Between Sony's marketing for the film and the reception the Emoji movie has been getting online reminds me of this Mitchell and Webb skit. Sony are laughing all the way to the bank

carlsojo

Still have to wonder why Lucy was such an insane success and why no other low-ish budget female lead action flick has managed to replicate it.

Good marketing, probably wasn't released amidst a deluge of summer hits, was a good movie.

kswiston

Top 10 films of the summer (estimated final grosses)

1) Wonder Woman - $410M
2) Guardians of the Galaxy - $390M
3) Spider-man Homecoming - $325M
4) Despicable Me 3 - $260M
5) Dunkirk - $175M+ (?)
6) Pirates 5 - $172M (could be #5 if Dunkirk doesn't keep up)
7) War for the Planet of the Apes - $150M
8) Cars 3 - $150M (could beat Apes depending on next two weeks)
9) Transformers 5 - $132M
10) Girls Trip - $125M? (hard to say. It will top Baby Driver for #10 though. It could beat Transformers).

M.W.

Dunkirk, nice. I loved it. I don't see another film being better than it the rest of the year. Reminds of when Fargo released in March of 1996 and I said the same thing.

Ninjimbo

You can always fall back to the easy answer of marketing even tho that would also be untrue. Maybe most people aren't excited by a heroine being as cold and violent as teenage boys prefer their heroines to be. Just a thought.

kswiston

China. I wouldn't be surprised to see it do over $800 mill world wide.

Also Japan. Spider-Man should easily cross $800M. It will make $45M more domestic on the conservative end. China + Japan should be good for $120M. Maybe more. Add in the overseas holdovers.

Top Bottom