• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

Alrus

This kind of metric has been around for years. IIRC Halloween at one time was near the top of this list.

Sure but the figure they use doesn't take a lot of factors in account to calculate RoI (what about distribution costs too?). I'm not saying Get Out and Split didn't make a ton of money, just that their reasoning is flawed.

So maybe Annabelle? I'm doubting Saw and It since they're bigger and will probably have more marketing money on those. Probably wrong, though.

Annabelle 1 made most of its gross overseas, and it was a pretty bad movie. I don't see this one making nearly as much.

kswiston

Friday Studio Estimates

1) The Dark Tower - $7.7M
2) Dunkirk - $5.0M (-37%) - $121M total
3) The Emoji Movie - $3.9M (-62%) - $41M total
4) Kidnap - $3.7M
5) Girls Trip - $3.6M (-42%) - $78M total
6) Detroit - $2.6M
7) Spider-Man Homecoming - $2.6M (-36%) - $289M total
8) Atomic Blonde - $2.4M (-66%) - $28M total
9) War for the Planet of the Apes (-43%) - $1.7M -$126M total
10) Despicable Me 3 - $1.7M (-30%) - $237M total
11) Baby Driver - $755k (-37%) - $95M total
12) Valerian - $680k (-62%) - $34M total
13) Wonder Woman - $665k (-32%) - $398M total

kswiston

The top 13 and percent drops are now listed in my post above. Valerian is fading fast. If you still want to see it in theatres, you better go this week!

But does the Dark Tower begin its crumble on Saturday? Or will we wait until the next weekend for the dust to begin pluming ever upward

Friday wasn't completely swamped by the Thursday previews gross, so it should finish #1 this weekend. Of course, I'm sure that Sony was hoping for more than $20M at best.

Foregone conclusion that Wonder Woman will surpass Spider-Man as the highest grossing domestic comic book origin film. Does it have enough left in the tank to get to $413m to hit that fabled 4x multiplier though? If it doesn't, it is going to be damn close.

I am sure after reaching 400m, Warner Bros. will try their best to make sure the movie atleast surpasses Spider-Man 1 so they can boost about having the best Super Hero Origin movie.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I am sure after reaching 400m, Warner Bros. will try their best to make sure the movie atleast surpasses Spider-Man 1 so they can boost about having the best Super Hero Origin movie.

They don't need to try their best it's an easy milestone after 400 million. Should do in about a week after 400 million.

My lame ass predictions from May..

I'm glad it destroyed them, especially in the international box office which has pretty much matched domestic.
That was more optimistic than mine, which is pretty much half or a little under what it's ended up doing so far.
- Domestic: 194M
- Foreign: 213M
- Worldwide: 407M
- Opening Weekend domestic: 71.5M

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What's the highest worldwide gross for a superhero origin movie.if it's already at 800 million without Japan I wonder how close etc it can get.

kswiston

What's the highest worldwide gross for a superhero origin movie.if it's already at 800 million without Japan I wonder how close etc it can get.

Wonder Woman isnt at $800M yet. That announcement was some serious rounding. The total as of Jul 31st was just barely $790M worldwide.

Overseas is basically done outside of Japan. Last weekend was sub $1M internationally for Wonder Woman. As such, $800M won't happen this weekend either.

Japan will need ~$20M for Wonder Woman to hit Spider-man's worldwide figure.

Wonder Woman isnt at $800M yet. That announcement was some serious rounding. The total as of Jul 31st was just barely $790M worldwide.

Overseas is basically done outside of Japan. Last weekend was sub $1M internationally for Wonder Woman. As such, $800M won't happen this weekend either.

Japan will need ~$20M for Wonder Woman to hit Spider-man's worldwide figure.

I wonder if WB will consider Japan to be their ticket to claiming the superhero origin prize, and perhaps do something special there, marketing-wise.

firelogic

WB is trying and appears to be failing at marketing the movie according to this article
Japan Times - Wonder Woman doesn't need the kawaii treatment

And the choice of using Nogizaka46's song titled, "A Woman Can't Sleep Alone" to promote it isn't sitting well with people either.

Oh man. :( I wonder what Patty thinks of this rather counter-productive spin? This is so not what the character is about.

I can understand why Japanese fans are confused and a little mad. Still, the movie isn't changed for Japanese release, so the fans are going to be happy with what they will see.

I'd be laughing if this weren't so sad.

It would have been great if they could cut a trailer that shows a small handful of shots not shown in other trailers. My favourite of which would be
Hippolyta spinning through the air and putting her sword to two baddies.

Still, there's hope that Japan could turn out well, and there's still a lot of theatres showing. I have no idea when the number of theatres will drop like a stone - I expect any time now?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My prediction for WW was 325 DOM and 675 WW and I thought that was overly optimistic. Amazing.

firelogic

It's weird they're taking that approach because Japan loves strong badass women. At least they do in anime. I guess it doesn't necessarily translate to loving them in live action?

Angel_DvA

WW being stronger than Spiderman is surprising, not quality wise because the WW movie was way better ( even with the terrible third act ) than homecoming but still, I feel like Sony and Marvel don't really know what to do with Spidey, a shame because it's my favorite SH after Batman but the Iron-Spidey-Karen shit isn't really good for me...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's weird they're taking that approach because Japan loves strong badass women. At least they do in anime. I guess it doesn't necessarily translate to loving them in live action?

I guess because those badass women tend to be sexualized a fuck ton "to appeal to male audience" wheresd WW idn't at all beyond usual attractiveness.

Looking at the Japan trailer itself it doesn't seem to be all that different from the one in the rest of the world, so that narration must have done some real butchering to garner that response.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Ouch. So much for good legs for Atomic Blonde :(

This movie obviously turned out pretty divisive, I assume in large part because it seemed like it was going to be John Wick: Charlize Theron Edition.

overcast

Wow what the hell, Atomic Blonde crashed.

Detroit also underperforming. Same winners as last weekend box office wise? Meaning Dunkirk, Girls Trip and Wonder Woman.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
i blame gaf for letting Atomic Blonde flop like that

Yall hate charlize Theron? :(

I noticed a lot of the reviews mentioned the story being convoluted or it not being what they expected. Maybe that hurt word of mouth a little? Ultimately, it just wasn't a summer movie.

Top Bottom