• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

I said no such thing

I DID say Colossal was a good movie and I am correct in that regard so haters to the left cause I'm comin' thru with my leftover cake

kswiston

Wolf Warriors 2 made almost $60M on Sat in China. It is now at $405M there. Sunday is supposed to be even larger than Saturday based on presales. I am assuming China has a holiday going on or something.

The Mermaid is going to lose its China record within the week.

Prove your innocence.

Also: Colossal IS a good movie.
It is honestly a good film in the beginning where you get a sense of mystery and hope that the story is going somewhere and then the
whole stupidity begins with the love/hate cycle and the magical lightning bolt that changes their fate in the past was too much.

Unless I am missing some hidden meaning or story from the movie, I felt incredibly disappointed with how it ended.
It was saved somewhat by Anne Hathaway but Jason tried his best to ruin what was left of it. He is honestly not suited for a serious role and should stick to comedies.

Wolf Warriors 2 made almost $60M on Sat in China. It is now at $405M there. Sunday is supposed to be even larger than Saturday based on presales. I am assuming China has a holiday going on or something.

That's a shame. I absolutely loved Mermaid and Stephen Chow is one of my favorite director for comedies. I hope he knocks the next movie out of park making it the first one to earn 1 billion in China.

jett

D-Member

What's up with China's box office. When is that shit going to stabilize.

What's up with China's box office. When is that shit going to stabilize.
I suspect one the reason this movie has exploded is because of the Hollywood break, and because the Chinese people were waiting for a blockbuster for a long time.

Quality of the movie has nothing to do with its box office here. The Mermaid wasn't exactly Stephen Chow's best work.

Edit: Wolf Warrior 2 has a budget of $29 million so they are going to make BANK!

kswiston

I suspect one the reason this movie has exploded is because of the Hollywood break, and because the Chinese people were waiting for a blockbuster for a long time.

Quality of the movie has nothing to do with its box office here. The Mermaid wasn't exactly Stephen Chow's best work.

It's still interesting to watch. The first Wolf Warriors made $89M total two years ago. That is a pretty big gross, but nothing special. The sequel will do at least 8x that.

Blablurn

My Chinese coworkers are going crazy for Wolf Warrior 2. On social media they write atuff like "You have to see Wolf Warrior because we are Chinese" while posting the pic of the main guy holding a Chinese flag. The patriotism hits very hard!
But surprisingly even my Austrian coworker said, that despite a lot of patriotism, its a solid action movie. I was surprised to hear that.

firelogic

Well damn, I watched the trailer for Wolf Warrior 2 just now and it stars the crazy guy from SPL that had this fight with Donnie Yen!

I want to give it a watch now.

It's still interesting to watch. The first Wolf Warriors made $89M total two years ago. That is a pretty big gross, but nothing special. The sequel will do at least 8x that.
As it happens with some Chinese movies, you sure there is no shady shit going on with the movie like Monster Hunt?

My Chinese coworkers are going crazy for Wolf Warrior 2. On social media they write atuff like "You have to see Wolf Warrior because we are Chinese" while posting the pic of the main guy holding a Chinese flag. The patriotism hits very hard!
But surprisingly even my Austrian coworker said, that despite a lot of patriotism, its a solid action movie. I was surprised to hear that.
Patriotism works well in America as well. American Sniper didn't just make a shit load of money because it was a 'good' movie.

Rayven

aka surume
Just got back from taking my kid to the Emoji movie. I know that I'm part of the problem. Was every bit as bad as the reviews.

kswiston

As it happens with some Chinese movies, you sure there is no shady shit going on with the movie like Monster Hunt?

Even if there is, it wouldn't be by all that much. Monster hunt cheated its way past Furious 7, but only because they were very close to begin with. Wolf Warriors is going to blow past everything.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I thought Fun Mom Dinner was a parody when I saw a review get dropped...but nope, real thing that opened yesterday.

Toa TAK isn't the burden of proof on you?

OT: I hope Wind River does decently. The guys behind it are on a hot streak after Sicario and Hell or high water.

Ever

Banned
No lie Atomic Blond was pretty bad. Didn't enjoy it at all. Not sure why it even placed as high as it did. Emoji movie was blatant corporate shilling so that made sense

...I'm starting to wonder if some fishy shit is going on w/ this Wolf Warrior sequel.

Am I misremembering or haven't there already been like three or four instances of box-office reciepts being falsified over there just this year? Like, not just fudging estimates, but flat-out fraud happening?

...I'm starting to wonder if some fishy shit is going on w/ this Wolf Warrior sequel.

Am I misremembering or haven't there already been like three or four instances of box-office reciepts being falsified over there just this year? Like, not just fudging estimates, but flat-out fraud happening?

Why it gotta be the Asians that lie

About that...

WHAT man, it's a perfect prediction
that I may have made today

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm thinking Annabelle Creation will dominate the month. The reviews are surprisingly solid and the calendar is completely empty.

kswiston

It's all smaller scale stuff. The Chinese government offers incentives to theatre owners to show "state-backed film X". No one wants to see that film, so some less reputable exhibitioners sell customers tickets to Film Y, and then claim the gross for Film X to get the incentives. Usually hollywood gets screwed in favour of local films.

There have also been some smaller scale fudging of numbers, where grosses will be inflated 5-10%.

But this stuff is typically noticeable, since online presales and estimates don't really match up with official numbers. This isn't the case with Wolf Warrior.

There are also no Hollywood films playing to steal from. Other than the dregs of Despicable Me 3.

There was a state-sponsored propaganda film last week, but people rejected that in favor of Wolf Warrior.

Top Bottom