• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•28-30•17 - Nolan not Dun' w/ #1 run, = Atomic

kswiston

is wolf warriors gonna make a billion in china alone?

$400m in its second weekend is fucking absurd

Probably not. But it has a pretty good shot at being the second biggest single territory gross ever. I made a thread about it that promptly got buried. I will probably resurrect it when we get closer to that milestone.

Anth0ny

Probably not. But it has a pretty good shot at being the second biggest single territory gross ever. I made a thread about it that promptly got buried. I will probably resurrect it when we get closer to that milestone.

That's still crazy.

How long until we start seeing the cast randomly show up in the next Star Wars or Marvel movie?

kswiston

Jesus, bigger than Avatar's domestic run even?

Potentially, yes. Wolf Warrior 2 pulls ahead of Jurassic World's domestic gross launch aligned with Sunday's gross. It's also making a lot more than Jurassic World was on a daily basis coming out of its second weekend. $100M more than JW is Avatar territory.

BumRush

Potentially, yes. Wolf Warrior 2 pulls ahead of Jurassic World's domestic gross launch aligned with Sunday's gross. It's also making a lot more than Jurassic World was on a daily basis coming out of its second weekend. $100M more than JW is Avatar territory.

Wow, insanity.

Was it funded by the government there or an independent studio?

Dinda

The Wolf Warrior 2 Numbers from China are crazy.

I really hope this crazy growth in the chinese market will soon lead to more big budget Wuxia films etc. (without Western Actors forced into them)

I want a new Phase like in the early to mid 2000s with Tiger and Dragon, Hero, Flying Daggers etc.
Man Ziyi Zhang had such an amazing career back then, i want her to go back making these kind of things, instead of (probably) playing bit time parts in the US Godzillas...

Also a bigger market in general will hopefully also mean more room for the artsy films like the Zhang Yimou and Wong Kar Wai stuff from the 90s.

I think...they should give John Woo 150 Million dollars and an unlimited budget for doves and tell him to make another action movie. Its time.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Looks like Wonder Woman will end the weekend just under 400 million... Like 400k short

Just about what I expected. $400m on Tuesday and then the slow crawl begins to see where she ends up. Hopefully WB expands back into IMAX for Labor Day.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:

1) The Dark Tower - $19.5M
2) Dunkirk - $17.6M (-34%) - $134M total
3) The Emoji Movie - $12.4M - $49M total
4) Girls Trip - $11.4M - $84M total
5) Kidnap - $10.2M
6) Spider-Man Homecoming - $8.8M - $295M total
7) Atomic Blonde - $8.2M - $34M total
8) Detroit - $7.3M
9) War for the Planet of the Apes - $6.0M - $130M total
10) Despicable Me 3 - $5.3M - $241M total
11) Baby Driver - $2.55M - $97M total
12) Wonder Woman - $2.4M - $399.5M total
13) Valerian - $2.4M (-63%) - $36M total

5) Kidnap - $10.2M
8) Detroit - $7.3M

Spider-Man looking at a 50% domestic increase over the previous entry. Obviously it is a failure of epic proportions.

5) Kidnap - $10.2M
8) Detroit - $7.3M

Something is missing

BumRush

5) Kidnap - $10.2M
8) Detroit - $7.3M

Dunkirk have a shot at $200M now?

It's not even going to hit a billion! And that's with Iron Man! Sad!

It is interesting that it is the first RDJ Marvel film (even if it is just a couple of scenes) to not hit $1b since Avengers. He was like the good luck charm or something.

Still, let's see with Ragnarok. If that hits $1b (it won't), it just shows that Ruffalo is the good luck charm.

Glass Rebel

It's not even going to hit a billion! And that's with Iron Man! Sad!

Sony:

C1mGBSvWEAANu9k.jpg

DeathyBoy

Banned
It is interesting that it is the first RDJ Marvel film (even if it is just a couple of scenes) to not hit $1b since Avengers. He was like the good luck charm or something.

Still, let's see with Ragnarok. If that hits $1b (it won't), it just shows that Ruffalo is the good luck charm.

Maybe if they make a good film next time...

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

I think it's mostly luck/timing for RDJ. Iron Man 3 had Avengers hype and Civil War was Avengers 2.5.
I added Baby Driver, WW, and Valerian to that post, making up the #11-13 spots.
Valerian losing to Wonder Woman is just awful lol

kswiston

Worldwide updates

Despicable Me 3 - $879M (now the top gross of the summer)
Wonder Woman - $794M
Pirates 5 - $781M
Transformers 5 - $583M
Cars 3 - $286M

kswiston

Wolf Warrior 2 made $162M in its second weekend in China. Its total there is now $469M. It should pass the Mermaid in another 2 days.

Some people think that a $100M third weekend is also in the cards.

Top Bottom