• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•22-24•17 - Return of the Kingsman, IT floats down a spot, Ninjago blocked

You've got to figure IT took some ticket sales from Kingsman. Probably a good enough haul for another, though maybe not enough for that Statesman spin off.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
You didn’t see Batman v Superman in theaters?
Of course, that isn’t hitting near the worst I have seen in theaters. It is just the most recent wound.

This movie is pointless mess with no plot, zero characterization and 8 meandering plotlines that all wind up nowhere at all.

It's a movie that literally shouldn't exist and has no function.

BvS is a movie with lots of problems, but has a missed mark. Home Again is just hot shit that had no upside potential at any point.

J_Viper

Did anything happen? Why are you upset?

If you need something fun and "opium for the masses"-y, watch Kingsman

Whatever movie you end up going to I hope it makes you feel better.

Watch mother to keep your mind on something else (whether or not you like it)

It is entertaining as well if you want a good laugh. (Uh the movie IT, but that applies to mother as well to an extent)

Thanks guys! : )

And nothing serious, just had some family drama I didn't wanna deal with at the moment

Just got out of IT and thought it was fucking wild. While I'm here, I'm gonna check out Mother too, which I'm sure should make for an insane double feature

This movie is pointless mess with no plot, zero characterization and 8 meandering plotlines that all wind up nowhere at all.

It's a movie that literally shouldn't exist and has no function.

BvS is a movie with lots of problems, but has a missed mark. Home Again is just hot shit that had no upside potential at any point.

Sounds like the perfect thing for a late night on HBO after my wife goes to bed. I am always intrigued by horrible films just to see how horrible they are.

kswiston

The Exorcist made over $66.3 million in rentals or $128m or so, give or take in 1973. In terms of tickets sold, that's still an absurdly huge amount for a horror film, nonetheless. It doesn't take away from its accomplishments. Plus re-releases do show how much longevity it had as a film.

It wasn't in 1973, since the film came out December 26th. That was just the rentals for the initial run, however long that ended up being. Probably mostly in 1974.

Most big films had frequent re-issues during that period though. VHS didn't hit the US until 1978.

The Exorcist was huge, no doubt. Bigger for its time than IT. I just have an issue with people taking the mojo figures at face value. They are even more problematic for films in the 30s-60s. At least 1973 was approaching the modern age of box office.

The social media embargo in Blade Runner is up this Tuesday, with reviews releasing the Monday after.

I think it's at least going to have a big OW, probably a new October record, unless reviews are awful. It feels like an event, IMO.

kswiston

The social media embargo in Blade Runner is up this Tuesday, with reviews releasing the Monday after.

I think it's at least going to have a big OW, probably a new October record, unless reviews are awful. It feels like an event, IMO.

Hopefully, because the rest of October is looking rough for these threads.

snap

Banned

it's definitely getting more of a push than most movies get.

Worldwide Updates

Despicable Me 3 - $1.020B
Spider-Man Homecoming - $874M
Dunkirk - $513M
IT - $478M
War For the Planet of the Apes - $472M
Cars 3 - $362M

Spider-Man is doing unbelievably well considering it seemed to fall out of the public eye pretty quickly. Is it likely to become the highest-grossing in the franchise, or does it not have the steam for that? Wikipedia tells me Spider-Man 3 did $890 million.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
it's definitely getting more of a push than most movies get.

Wow, it does. Some reason I thought we had another month to go. My local theater still has it showing on 1 screen, 5 showings a day.

Spider-Man is doing unbelievably well considering it seemed to fall out of the public eye pretty quickly. Is it likely to become the highest-grossing in the franchise, or does it not have the steam for that? Wikipedia tells me Spider-Man 3 did $890 million.
It's going to be a very close call, but it's possible.

kurahador

Is WB footing the bill for this one? I thought it was like GeoStorm where they're only distributing it.

Not sure. But Sony is apparently handling the distribution ww, so maybe you're right.

Also...
The film has been reported to have a run time of 2 hours and 43 minutes, including 11 minutes of credits.[
Damn, I only watched the teaser trailer months ago for this. Can't wait.

Jeez Cars 3 really tanked. I wonder if they're still selling a lot of toys, or if the kids moved on.

It's weird, based on purely anecdotal evidence there is loads less cars stuff in the shops at Disneyworld compared to 3 years ago when I last went.

I expected loads of it with the movie being out.

Blade Runner is going to bomb. Will do a little better than Ghost in the Shell but I don't see it considering how niche it has always been.

$110 DOM
$300 WW

Will signal the end of the franchise revival.

gamz

WB will be lucky if it does Fury Road type numbers. That is a ton of coin for a sequel to a cultish sci-fi movie.

Busty

Banned
Meh. Kingsman Golden Circle had a larger budget, more stars (Tatum was all the marketing of this thing) and feeding off the 'goodwill' of the first film and still only managed to open $3m higher than it's predecessor?

This has to be a disappointment for all concerned. Apparently Vaughn and Fox had a pretty fractious relationship during the production and marketing of this film, I wonder if they'll think it was all worth it?

Given that Vaughn's Marv co-financed the film and with his blatant negotiating in the press (DCU, blah-blah) it'll be interesting to see what Vaughn's next move is.

Checked the budget for BR 2049...$185 million, holy hell.
Good luck WB.

Alcon (Point Break remake, Transcendence) are fully financing with WB just distributing in the US.

Sony are their 'financial partners' and are distributing the film in International markets.

If WB is lucky it could do Fury Road type numbers. That is a ton of coin for a sequel to a cultish sci-fi movie.
I am not even a Mad Max fan, neither I was excited for Fury Road, but that movie is INSANE in term of action. It is also highly re-watchable with plenty of entertaining scenes while the story takes a backseat.

It is not comparable in anyway to Blade Runner 2049. Unless I missed the high intensity action in the film? Because the trailer sure didn't sell me on them.

Even if it just ends with $300M in WW, this will be one of the biggest grossing movie by Dennis V. The only issue is the $185 million budget for it.

Even So it's ridiculous when these records that really mean nothing keep falling.

The modern numbers are so insanely inflated by the various artificial bells and whistles thrown into the experience. On top of typical inflation you have add 3 dollars for 3D, add 3 dollars for IMAX, add three dollars for redlining seats, add five for dbox. Yet none of these modern record breakers would have anything on the heavyweights of the past in terms of butts in the seats. That's why even if the numbers are off, the adjusted for inflation list is still the best historical barometer of the biggest films ever.

gamz

The modern numbers are so insanely inflated by the various artificial bells and whistles thrown into the experience. On top of typical inflation you have add 3 dollars for 3D, add 3 dollars for IMAX, add three dollars for redlining seats, add five for dbox. Yet none of these modern record breakers would have anything on the heavyweights of the past in terms of butts in the seats. That's why even if the numbers are off, the adjusted for inflation list is still the best historical barometer of the biggest films ever.

But those movies in the past didn't have all the access to movies we have today. You had to go to the theater to see it back then and you couldn't wait for a non-existent video market. Different times and not comparable.

Not too mention the many forms of entertainment to compete with besides movies.

Busty

Banned
War for the Planet of the Apes still hasn't made back its baseline budget? It deserved a lot better than that.

Eh. I feel like War for the Planet of the Apes was solid and really ended up at a fair worldwide gross.

This wasn't some cinematic triumph and felt like the trilogy was going out on a whimper rather than the bang it deserved.

The only issue is the $185 million budget for it.

Given that we aren't the ones paying for it is it really an issue?

This has to be a disappointment for all concerned. Apparently Vaughn and Fox had a pretty fractious relationship during the production and marketing of this film, I wonder if they'll think it was all worth it?

Given that Vaughn's Marv co-financed the film and with his blatant negotiating in the press (DCU, blah-blah) it'll be interesting to see what Vaughn's next move is.

What all did you hear just wondering?

Given that we aren't the ones paying for it is it really an issue?
Ummm... why should it be an issue for us? lol

We are in a box office thread so the $185 million budget is an issue for the film. Even Mad Max for all intent and purpose was cheaper at $150 million.

kswiston

But those movies in the past didn't have all the access to movies we have today. You had to go to the theater to see it back then and you couldn't wait for a non-existent video market. Different times and not comparable.

Not too mention the many forms of entertainment to compete with besides movies.

Fewer films were being released. Initial runs could last well over a year (some classic films had initial runs that lasted over 5 years). Budget differentiation wasn't really a thing yet. Basic cable networks and home video didn't exist until the mid-late 70s, and they didn't achieve mass market penetration until the 80s. Network television was heavily restricted in regards to the content that it could broadcast.

All of this lead to a market that was favorable to adult viewership. If you wanted to see something like the Godfather, you had to go to the movies. It was also favorable to frequent reissues for popular films and lengthy runs.

Now, there is tons of adult oriented programming on cable, netflix, etc. Movies are in home video in 3-6 months, even if they were the biggest films of the year. Movies are on Netflix and cable TV within 12 months. Films are being regularly released in over 4k venues and over 10k screen, pushing older releases out. Outside of the 3D gimmick cash in a few years back, no one cares about reissues now. Look at Terminator 2 or Close Encounters recently.

Comparing cinematic runs of the 60s-70s to current runs ends up being similar to comparing scoring in the NHL during the late 80s-early 90s vs scoring in the NHL now, and concluding that all of the older players were better.

30 years ago, Gretzky scored 183 points in the 86-87 season. 6 other players broke 100 points. Since, 2010, only 5 players have broken 100 points in a season, and no one has broken 110 points. Defense has improved, so the league average points has dropped from around 25 per season in the late 80s to around 20 point per season currently. Hitting over 180 points in a season now is impossible. Most of Gretzky's records will never be broken, even if we get a player who is as good as him, or a team that works as well as the Oilers of that season.

Jawmuncher

Looks like I was right about Ninjago. Is doing about what I expected. Was never gonna be bigger than a default lego or batman movie. Even if it's their biggest original brand.

flkraven

i remember people here saying spider-man was a disappointment because it didn't do like a billion dollars ow now it is like the fourth* highest grossing film of the year.

edit* fixed

The film press (and online fan presence) has a real bandwagon problem where some piece of news/rumor/BO data comes out and some one or two sources start a chain reaction.

That happened with the drop for Homecoming's second weekend drop. But it did great after that, but slow and steady doesn't make headlines and people's perceptions are hard to change.

kswiston

A 2.85x opening weekend multiplier is a solid multiplier for a major comic book film, and well above the average for the MCU. However, Homecoming had Wonder Woman making it look like it had Corgi legs.

Busty

Banned
What all did you hear just wondering?

When Toby Emmerich replaced Greg Silverman at Warners Vaughan was one of the big name talents he wanted to lure over to the studio under his regime.

Rumours were Fox thought that either Vaughan was going to jump ship or use this interest to get himself a better deal with them and either way they weren't happy.

Hence Kingsman 2 darted all over the schedule and now all these unseemly negotiating in the press. I think Vaughan probably needed Kingsman 2 to be a smash hit to justify all this jockeying back and forth, especially given that Marv, his own investment venture, paid for half the film.

Lets see how it goes pans out.

i remember people here saying spider-man FEATURING ROBERT DOWNEY JNR'S IRON MAN was a disappointment because it didn't do like a billion dollars ow now it is like the fourth* highest grossing film of the year.

edit* fixed

Fixed.

Funny how people always leave that part out.

wachie

i remember people here saying spider-man was a disappointment because it didn't do like a billion dollars ow now it is like the fourth* highest grossing film of the year.

edit* fixed
It's also the second highest grossing movie in the Iron Man series.

DeathyBoy

Banned
When Toby Emmerich replaced Greg Silverman at Warners Vaughan was one of the big name talents he wanted to lure over to the studio under his regime.

Rumours were Fox thought that either Vaughan was going to jump ship or use this interest to get himself a better deal with them and either way they weren't happy.

Hence Kingsman 2 darted all over the schedule and now all these unseemly negotiating in the press. I think Vaughan probably needed Kingsman 2 to be a smash hit to justify all this jockeying back and forth, especially given that Marv, his own investment venture, paid for half the film.

Lets see how it goes pans out.

Fixed.

Funny how people always leave that part out.

Yep. Even with RDJ it might make less than SM3. Which came out before comic books were hitting billion mark.

I'd say RDJ isn't quite the draw people think he is, and if people can scoff at Bats and Supes not hitting a billion combined then scoffing at Spidey and Iron Man not hitting a billion combined is fair game.

kswiston

I think the issue with BvS is that it was the first time that Batman and Superman had ever been on the big screen together (and the first time Wonder Woman had been on the big screen period).

We just had Civil War last year, and RDJ was in Spider-Man Homecoming for like 5-10 minutes. Happy had as much screen time.

Hero

Spider-Man had damage done to it by Sony's bumbling of the series starting with Spider-Man 3 and up through Amazing Spider-Man 2.

SMH would've easily done a billion if ASM2 had not existed.

Top Bottom