• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•22-24•17 - Return of the Kingsman, IT floats down a spot, Ninjago blocked

Do you seriously think that Homecoming would have pulled down those numbers worldwide if Iron Man wasn't in it and featured so prominently in the marketing?
Iron Man effect is only true for the opening. Once people actually saw the movie and word got out about how his role is barely in the movie, do you think people seriously kept going to watch it just to see this tiny role of Iron Man? Nope.

I think the issue with BvS is that it was the first time that Batman and Superman had ever been on the big screen together (and the first time Wonder Woman had been on the big screen period).

We just had Civil War last year, and RDJ was in Spider-Man Homecoming for like 5-10 minutes. Happy had as much screen time.
BvS would be easy 1 billion if it had come out after Wonder Woman. It is not like the story in WW makes any less sense this way since it is a Super Hero Origin story. Heck if this happened, her cameo would have been a BIG deal in the actual movie but ended up being a silent thud.

snap

Banned
Eh. I feel like War for the Planet of the Apes was solid and really ended up at a fair worldwide gross.

This wasn't some cinematic triumph and felt like the trilogy was going out on a whimper rather than the bang it deserved.

FIGHT ME

think the thing with the apes trilogy is that it drew in two crowds, the ones who were there to see a "smart" blockbuster and the ones who liked the really good action of dawn. war didn't really have the latter, so those who were expecting that were really disappointed, but critics and people like me who were looking for the former were very happy with the movie we got.

3N16MA

Banned
I honestly think CW did more for HC than the Iron Man feature (not that it didn't have somewhat of an impact).

Audiences finally got to see Spidey as part of the MCU and the debut was well received. That alone peaked interest in the reboot.

Miles X

Wonder if War of the Apes can leg it to $500m WW.

It has $28m to go with Japan ($12 - $30m based on previous two installments).

Not sure how much more it can get from China, probably $5m max.

Busty

Banned
Iron Man effect is only true for the opening. Once people actually saw the movie and word got out about how his role is barely in the movie, do you think people seriously kept going to watch it just to see this tiny role of Iron Man? Nope.

Only true of the opening? Oh stop, what utter nonsense. Yet another poster that knows absolutely nothing about how they majority of modern cinema audiences actually go and see films and process (for want of a better word) a film like Homecoming's marketing/message.

Warner Bros. and their budget management sometimes. Jeez. King Arthur already had such a huge budget and they are topping it again. Justice League could be 250-300M.

They spend a mere $35m on IT but $185m on Blade Runner?!

Do you really think Harrison Ford even gets out of his dressing gown for anything less than 8 figures? Look at what they paid him to stand around and mumble in TFA. Also giving a massive VFX budget to IT would have doomed it for certain.

Jigorath

Banned

Yep. The most important thing for Homecoming is that people liked the movie and the characters. That's why legs were so solid. Bodes well for a sequel even without RDJ.

Miles X

Uh, yes lol? Thought they would have similiar budgets?

Who on earth would think they would be similar? Don't jump to such extremes. IT could have done with a bit more cash (but turned out fine anyway) but that much for Blade Runner is just stupid.

Jigorath

Banned
Yeah I don't know what the ceiling for Blade Runner is. It's not like we get a lot of movies like Blade Runner nowadays to compare.

Why is that as high as it can go to you?

Because that's around the best most straight-forward scifi films do. It'd be one thing if they were selling it as an action film that happened to be in the future, but they aren't.

The Martian: $228 million domestic
Interstellar: $188 million
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: $176 million
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: $208 million
War for the Planet of the Apes: $146 million
Arrival: $100 million
Passengers: $100 million
Oblivion: $89 million
Minority Report: $132 million
Prometheus: $126 million

Treating it as a thriller isn't much better for the most part. Could it break out? Sure. But by and large, the prospects aren't great for scifi films. It's not the kind of film you'd normally spend $185 million on.

Miles X

Because that's around the best most straight-forward scifi films do. It'd be one thing if they were selling it as an action film that happened to be in the future, but they aren't.

Treating it as a thriller isn't much better for the most part. Could it break out? Sure. But by and large, the prospects aren't great for scifi films. It's not the kind of film you'd normally spend $185 million on.

Blade Runner has a very bleak and dank atmosphere as well, of course that's part of what makes it what it is. Even without the whitewashing controversy I don't think GiTS would have done much better. Just my opinion that these style of films look hard to sit through for a lot of people.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but BR49 is projected to open around $40 and finish around $115 ... unless it's HUGE internationally, it's not even gonna make back it's money ...

I imagine for WB to call it a success they'd be wanting around $500m WW.

Jigorath

Banned
Blade Runner has a very bleak and dank atmosphere as well, of course that's part of what makes it what it is. Even without the whitewashing controversy I don't think GiTS would have done much better. Just my opinion that these style of films look hard to sit through for a lot of people.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but BR49 is projected to open around $40 and finish around $115 ... unless it's HUGE internationally, it's not even gonna make back it's money ...

I imagine for WB to call it a success they'd be wanting around $500m WW.

I thought WB was only distributing it in the US? Domestic gross is what matters to them.

overcast

No doubt about that Blade Runner budget being ridiculous but hopefully it looks expensive because that'll make it worth it for me.

Not so much WB.

Ross61

Are you sure about that? Every impression for the trailers on GAF make it seem that way....

250+ domestic

flkraven

Do you seriously think that Homecoming would have pulled down those numbers worldwide if Iron Man wasn't in it and featured so prominently in the marketing?

All I said was that people were saying Spidey's numbers were disappointing early on, but it's legs have nowit into a pretty huge number. What that comment has anything to do with RDJ or Iron Man is beyond me. Is RDJ simultaneously responsible for both the general pessimism around opening week that caused some to say the Sony/Marvel agreement didn't pay off AND the strong legs that helped carried it to 4th place WW for 2017 and make it one of the most successful Spider-Man's ever? Or did you just want another opportunity to mention RDJ?

Busty

Banned
All I said was that people were saying Spidey's numbers were disappointing early on, but it's legs have nowit into a pretty huge number. What that comment has anything to do with RDJ or Iron Man is beyond me. Is RDJ simultaneously responsible for both the general pessimism around opening week that caused some to say the Sony/Marvel agreement didn't pay off AND the strong legs that helped carried it to 4th place WW for 2017 and make it one of the most successful Spider-Man's ever? Or did you just want another opportunity to mention RDJ?

The fact that Iron Man's presence in the film played a huge part in Homecoming's global box office success is obviously something that you are uncomfortable with.

Why do you think that is?

LENNY.buzz.Jpg

Only true of the opening? Oh stop, what utter nonsense. Yet another poster that knows absolutely nothing about how they majority of modern cinema audiences actually go and see films and process (for want of a better word) a film like Homecoming's marketing/message.

Bitch I know everything

Lima

Saw Downsizing today in a sneak preview(pretty early yo).

I mean I already thought Alexander Payne was a pretty legit director but this was amazing. Dude never made a bad movie from what I’ve seen and this was probably his best one yet. I expect this to win the original screenplay Oscar next year. Original idea and charming execution. Funny as hell and with lots of political undertones. Everyone was great in this. Especially Sudekis.

Highly recommended when this opens in December (lol)

I am going to wait for Homecoming 2 to gross the same without RDJ so I can come back to this post and laugh at it.

The fact that Iron Man's presence in the film played a huge part in Homecoming's global box office success is obviously something that you are uncomfortable with.

I'm uncomfortable with the fact that a man shorter than I am makes 50 million dollars per film and has no problem wearing 6 inch lifts

I am going to wait for Homecoming 2 to gross the same without RDJ so I can come back to this post and laugh at it.

That's stupid because RDJ's role was to boost the 1st one and get it set up to be by itself moving forward

Like that's the entire point

Miles X

Are you sure about that? Every impression for the trailers on GAF make it seem that way....

250+ domestic

I get the feeling you can't seperate your hopes from reality :p

I'd be surprised if this jumped from $40m OW prediction to $80m.

This comes out next friday and its OW projections haven't really changed at any point.

snap

Banned
Wiki implies Sony and WB both contributed to the budget, at least Columbia is listed as a production company and WB is the distributor. It being a Sony production explains why the budget is so massive.

edit: BOM is down right now but wiki says Blade Runner opened to a $7M opening weekend? even adjusting for WOM and home video sales can't imagine the audience for this is that great.

Litan

Well, we cant all be as knowledgeable as you, Busty.

pestul

I mentioned that $185M budget for BR ages ago and people just laughed it off..

It's an absolutely insane budget for an October sci-fi release. And it also feels like there has been a fair amount spent on marketing of late. I hope it's awesome because of it, but there's the chance that a $100+M loss could have a rippling effect through the genre. As pointed out earlier, I really want Denis to get $150+M for the Dune remake.

Top Bottom