• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

Certinty

Can't believe how well IT is doing. Movie was so meh to me.

American Made was great and Kingsman TGC was way more fun too.

kswiston

The first paragraph from Indiewire's The Mountain Between Us review is pretty good

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/the-mountain-between-us-review-idris-elba-kate-winslet-1201881379/

“The Mountain Between Us” is one of those movies that’s impossible to watch without imagining the elevator pitch that got the project off the ground (yes, it was adapted from a Charles Martin novel of the same name, but someone still had to sell Hollywood on the idea). “It’s ‘The Grey’ meets ‘The English Patient’!” “It’s ‘Alive’ meets ‘Before Sunrise’!” “It’s ‘Cast Away,’ but if Tom Hanks was a little horny for Wilson!” Amusingly billed as a “romance-disaster” on the film’s Wikipedia page, Hany Abu-Assad’s dreary but diverting high-altitude epic is a “will they or won’t they?” flirtation superimposed onto a classic story of survival. It’s fantastically unrealistic stuff from the first minute to the last (and there are far too many minutes between them), but Idris Elba and Kate Winslet generate enough heat to keep the frostbite at bay, and Mandy Walker’s stunning location cinematography ensures that the film looks considerably more authentic than it feels.

You like Before Sunrise Bronson. You know what you have to do.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Kingsman 2 wasn't as good or interesting as the original, but I'm surprised to see how tepid the response for it is.

I thought Kingsman 2 was quite dull, and I quite enjoyed the first one.

I understand the tepid response.

Beeks

Saw Battle of the Sexes now that it finally went wide, was a fun little period piece. Need to rewatch the original Blade Runner before 2049 next weekend.

gatti-man

Can't believe how well IT is doing. Movie was so meh to me.

American Made was great and Kingsman TGC was way more fun too.

I loved IT. I think some people just get turned off by the jumps in emotion. Scary to sweet to funny to scary to funny to sweet it just rubs some people wrong.

Can we talk about how The LEGO Ninjago Movie has 13 credited writers between screenplay and story credits?

Something clearly went wrong there.

kswiston

What is Homecoming at WW now? Somebody in the last thread mentioned it has a chance of bypassing Spider-Man 3.

We haven't received any updated international numbers, but I think that the Chinese run died too quickly to make $890M likely. On opening weekend, it seemed like $140M in China could possibly happen. But the run quickly collapsed, and its final total will be around $115M instead. It will pass $880M, but remain slightly behind Spider-Man 3 both domestically and overseas.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really DO wanna see American Made before BR comes out.

Maybe I'll do a run on Tuesday. I gotta see Cruise in something good to make up for The.. you know.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so IT & Kingsman are both doing well? IT sequel seems destined to get budget love now, is Kingsman 3 likely?

Buckle

It making a nice comeback just in time for spooky scary season.

Looking forward to seeing it rake it all in this month.

Timu

We haven't received any updated international numbers, but I think that the Chinese run died too quickly to make $890M likely. On opening weekend, it seemed like $140M in China could possibly happen. But the run quickly collapsed, and its final total will be around $115M instead. It will pass $880M, but remain slightly behind Spider-Man 3 both domestically and overseas.
Damn, and it was so close too. Oh well, hopefully the sequel will do better in 2019.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
What a bomb

so IT & Kingsman are both doing well? IT sequel seems destined to get budget love now, is Kingsman 3 likely?

Kingsman's doing pretty much identical numbers to the first. Considering the higher budget, marketing, and cast, it's probably a disappointment for them.

American Made's budget is $50 million but they marketed the hell out of it.

I think this is a break-even scenario with that opening and the international take.

Whose agent is worse, hers or Idris Elba's

I feel like Idris is more along the lines of Sam Jackson where he just feels like he has to be working, and therefore will pick a script among the list of movies he has on the table when he doesn't have a project, no matter if all the movies on the table aren't very good.

You like Before Sunrise Bronson. You know what you have to do.

wtf there's no way in hell that movie is anything like Before Sunrise at all

The whole point of that film is that there aren't many stakes to it at first

Where were you when Bronson got worked ?

I'm the one who does the working!

We got the ticket stub with your dna.

We know you saw it after reading Eat Love and Pray

FILTH

Flatliners wasn’t even offensively awful, just boring to the point of being an endurance exercise. It’s the type of thing that won’t be remembered in a week.

Oh and American Made is aight.

Slayven

Flatliners wasn't even offensively awful, just boring to the point of being an endurance exercise. It's the type of thing that won't be remembered in a week.

Oh and American Made is aight.

a lot for reviews are talking about how it is way too long

Nah. Slayven is talking about the religious zombie book.

*cough*

51MZavAxDYL._SY346_.jpg

kswiston

I don't think I've seen a top 3 so close together in weekend takes before.

Things will probably look different with the actuals (I think that American Made is overpredicting Sunday), but this could be the smallest #1-3 gap ever where all three films are above $10M.

There were some really small gaps in the 80s and 90s, but those were on weekends of $3-4M.

ww chart added

A Dog's Purpose beat a lot of big budget films this year in the worldwide box office. The final opening in Spain should push it over $200M worldwide next weekend.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think it clocked in just under two hours but the shit felt like three. They could have shaved off half an hour and it wouldn’t have made much difference to the “story.”

It's another horror film with less story than the cold open of your average Supernatural episode.

Lego Ninjago movie is a disaster.

And it's Warner Bros.' own fault, really. Their thirst for franchises has gotten the better of them, first with the DCEU and now with Lego.

The main thing is that they pulled the NSMB mistake by releasing two Lego films in the same year that are very similar to each other in theme and beats (hence the accusations that the brand is growing stale). If The Lego Ninjago Movie was remarkably very different from the past films, this wouldn't be too much of a problem, but from what I've heard / talked to someone who's a fan of the original show but didn't like the movie, they brought in a ton of people who changed a lot from the show the film's based on to make it more similar to the Lego theatrical films. The six main characters, for example, go to school in the film (they didn't in the TV show), and have a different set of voice actors.

Lego Ninjago Movie's credentials list three directors, five producers, and seven writers overall (five for story, seven for screenplay). Only two of those writers came from the TV series, and they only worked on the screenplay. Lego Movie and Lego Batman Movie had significantly less directors/producers/writers on their projects. A perfect example of too many cooks spoiling the soup.

Hopefully Vaughn stays the hell away from superman. Clearly in the minority here with this opinion but he would be a regression from Snyder as well

Superman could do with a fresh talent. But not that wasteman

Top Bottom