• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

I still want Tom Cruise to be back in action. I’m so surprised American Made wasn’t bigger :(

I imagine marketing its story wasn't easy. Also his last two movies were The Jack Reacher sequel which didn't land and The Mummy. He might have wanted to change it up a bit since he'll be going back to MI action movie mode next year.

kswiston

Also, I'd be willing to bet money we see a Thunderbolts movie in the next 5-6 years, especially since they stopped killing villains in Phase 3, for the most part.

Slayven looks forward to explaining why the Thunderbolts aren't a Suicide Squad rip off about 400 times.

Unless they are going with the Millar/Ellis version. Which was a Suicide Squad rip off.

Slayven

Slayven looks forward to explaining why the Thunderbolts aren't a Suicide Squad rip off about 400 times.

Unless they are going with the Millar/Ellis version. Which was a Suicide Squad rip off.

Jesus that will kill me a little every time like when people call Static "Static Shock"

J_Viper

The big question regarding post-Avengers MCU is this

Will it be Sam Cap or Bucky Cap?

The almost near universal praise would make it make it surprising to not have legs.

Apes had universal acclaim too, and that didn't help it from bombing!

*runs away crying"

But yeah, BR2049 was excellent, but good god that film moves like a glacier. I can't imagine the average movie goer being into it.

I imagine that there's a lot of reasons why War for the Planet of the Apes sort of failed at the box office, but I'd contend that a movie, a popcorn blockbuster, that deals overtly with racism and jingoism, that explicitly alludes to a leader of the Black Lives Matters movement, that has elongated sections of non-verbal dialogue, after one of the most racist and jingoistic years in decades, probably hurt its box office. And, so I don't know how much can be gained by comparison to it.

But I'm not the biggest box office buff, so what do I know.

Honestly Blade Runner 2049 managed to keep my attention the whole way through. The setting and mystery kind of made up for the slow narrative. Compared to other stuff I saw recently like Atomic Blonde or Battle of the Sexes (both good) which I felt dragged a bit more.

This movie ain't Under the Skin - it's got a plot and dialogue and characters and action. I think for the most part movie goers should be able to cope.

kswiston

I imagine that there's a lot of reasons why War for the Planet of the Apes sort of failed at the box office, but I'd contend that a movie, a popcorn blockbuster, that deals overtly with racism and jingoism, that explicitly alludes to a leader of the Black Lives Matters movement, that has elongated sections of non-verbal dialogue, after one of the most racist and jingoistic years in decades, probably hurt its box office. And, so I don't know how much can be gained by comparison to it.

But I'm not the biggest box office buff, so what do I know.

All of that probably has a lot to do with it.

9-11 kicked off the fantasy film renaissance we had in the early 00s, between Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Spider-Man and Pirates of the Caribbean. Those went on to be the biggest franchises of the decade.

Blade Runner being a slow paced movie means I'll probably adore it. I love movies that move with a purposefully slow tone.

One of the reasons I love Unbreakable is due to its pacing

Spider-Man's probably the most obvious example of that post-9/11 mentality. It's a touch heavy handed but people like heavy handed for a good cause.

99ZKh.jpg

MZKnQiW.png

Probably also one of the main reasons Wonder Woman did so well (and one of the main reasons I really loved it): it's just so unabashedly optimistic when we just want to go to the theater and see hope for an afternoon.

I guess when I think of 9/11 and super hero movies, I think the train sequence in Spider-Man 2 and not so much the window dressing like Spider-Man 1 or The Dark Knight and its kind of weird allusions to Ground Zero.

(The Dark Knight: 9/11 sad, but War on Terror sort of works?. The Dark Knight Rises: Occupy Wall Street bad.)

But, the 9/11 boom then gave way to the rut we are in now which is a recycled narrative of never-ending nothingness.

GhaleonEB

Honestly Blade Runner 2049 managed to keep my attention the whole way through. The setting and mystery kind of made up for the slow narrative. Compared to other stuff I saw recently like Atomic Blonde or Battle of the Sexes (both good) which I felt dragged a bit more.

This movie ain't Under the Skin - it's got a plot and dialogue and characters and action. I think for the most part movie goers should be able to cope.

The audience I was with grew noticeably restless as the film went on. Tapping feet, whispering, lost of shifting around in chairs. A woman behind me (really, she was insufferable the whole time) just blurted out, "Boring!" at one point near the end.

Audiences in my town tend to suck, but as an anecdote, I'm not super confident in its legs. It'll find its audience, I'm just not convinced the audience is that big.

But then, The Revenant was a hit and that was like watching paint dry. In the snow.

GhaleonEB

Deadline has updated their Blade Runner weekend number to $36.5M. Not good.

I think the person writing that is drunk.

In addition, that 163-minute running time is a killer. Forget about the fact that Blade Runner 2049 has its slow moments. Once you count the trailer pre-show, how do you ask audiences to commit four hours of their time to sit in the theater?
How many trailers do they think theaters show these days? My theater compensated for the long run time by attaching one trailer and just two ads (mercifully).

golem

Honestly Blade Runner 2049 managed to keep my attention the whole way through. The setting and mystery kind of made up for the slow narrative.

Yeah it was pretty slow at times but to me it felt more like the director's sure hand 90% of the time rather than just pure indulgence-- although i will say there probably were some scenes that could have been nipped and tucked a bit

Mad Max Fury Road is a lean, tightly edited, straight-forward action movie.

2049 is literally the opposite in every way.

My feelings precisely. You don't recall the claustrophobic neo-noir oppresive paranoia atmosphere of the first film by framing the narrative an unambiguous good guys vs very obviously evil guys conflict. BR2049 felt dumbed down and bloated.

How many trailers do they think theaters show these days? My theater compensated for the long run time by attaching one trailer and just two ads (mercifully).

The theater I went to shows a standard trio of previews then goes straight to the feature.
I've been to theaters that show no fewer than five trailers no matter what. I don't go to them unless it's a $7 matinee or something.

The audience I was with grew noticeably restless as the film went on. Tapping feet, whispering, lost of shifting around in chairs. A woman behind me (really, she was insufferable the whole time) just blurted out, "Boring!" at one point near the end.

Audiences in my town tend to suck, but as an anecdote, I'm not super confident in its legs. It'll find its audience, I'm just not convinced the audience is that big.

But then, The Revenant was a hit and that was like watching paint dry. In the snow.

I'm probably not the best test subject for this because I can easily sit through a massive sci-fi or fantasy film no problem just because I like looking at it. I've watched all the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions, BvS Ultimate Cut, Interstellar, and others where the time just blew by.

There were a couple of walkouts in my theater but the audience seemed pretty with it. The kid sitting next to me was clearly dragged along by his dad though, who prepped him before the movie and kept whispering the plot throughout while the kid just kicked his feet on the chairs and played with his water bottle.

Denis Villneuve's also been on every news station and the cover of most newspapers because he comes from around here so I think most people feel obligated to go out and see it for patriotism.

Yeah it was pretty slow at times but to me it felt more like the director's sure hand 90% of the time rather than just pure indulgence-- although i will say there probably were some scenes that could have been nipped and tucked a bit

I don't necessarily disagree, I liked the movie as a whole but sometimes an individual scene would go on just a touch past my point of patience.

Also shoutout to the special IMAX pre-roll. That's the third I can remember this summer alongside Spider-Man and F8.

Like with War for the Planet of the Apes, I find myself not caring too much about the box office of Blade Runner. It’s a minor miracle they happened to begin with.

Did the Friday prediction fall to $13M or something? That's a pretty drastic change in fortune
They finally have Friday numbers up on the article:

1.)Blade Runner 2049 (ALC/WB/SONY), 4,058 theaters / $14.1M Fri. (includes $4M previews) / 3-day cume: $36.5M / Wk 1

2.)My Little Pony (LG), 2,528 heaters / $3.1M Fri. (includes $290K previews) / 3-day cume: $11.1M / Wk 1

3.)The Mountain Between Us (FOX), 3,088 heaters / $3.45M Fri. (includes $400K previews) / 3-day cume: $9.7M / Wk 1

4.) It (NL/WB), 3,605 theaters (-312) / $2.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $9.3M (-45%) / Total: $304.6M / Wk 5

5/6.) Kingsman: The Golden Circle (FOX), 3,488 theaters (-550) / $2.3M Fri. / 3-day cume: $8.14M (-52%) / Total: $80M / Wk 3

American Made (UNI), 3,031 (+7) / $2.37M Fri. (-61%) / 3-day cume: $8.12M (-52%)/Total: $30.5M/ Wk 2

7.) The Lego Ninjago Movie (WB), 3,611 theaters (-436) / $1.7M Fri. / 3-day cume: $6.75M (-42%) / Total: $43.8M / Wk 3

8.) Victoria & Abdul (FOCUS), 732 theaters (+655) / $1.2K Fri. (+300%) / 3-day cume: $4.5M (+313%)/Total: $6.3M/ Wk 3

9.) Flatliners (SONY), 2,552 theaters / $1M Fri./ 3-day cume: $3.5M (-46%) / Total: $12M /Wk 2

10.) Battle of the Sexes (FSL), 1,822 theaters (+609) / $728K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.46M (-28%) / Total: $7.7M / Wk 3

Seems like they're anticipating a slight Saturday decrease like Mad Max.

Like with War for the Planet of the Apes, I find myself not caring too much about the box office of Blade Runner. It’s a minor miracle they happened to begin with.

Yeah, in the case of BR, it's not like we need a third one right away. At least I assume so, I have not seen it yet but I imagine it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. And it's not like Villeneuve's career is gonna suffer too much if it underperforms, he's got plenty of momentum.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My screening of Blade Runner 2049 was packed. The audience reaction was intensely negative.

jett

D-Member
Warner Bros. had a good run.

The financial makeup of this movie is interesting. Alcon and Sony co-financed the movie, according to deadline Sony put 90M of the total budget (in the area of 150M). WB only has domestic distribution rights, although I don't know how much they paid for that. Sony is releasing the movie worldwide.

Again, and insane budget. Honestly, I don't even know where it went.

berzeli

Banned
I wonder if this is Deadline jumping the gun, it's really weird to go from high 40s or even 50s to 36.
The financial makeup of this movie is interesting. Alcon and Sony co-financed the movie, according to deadline Sony put 90M of the total budget (in the area of 150M). WB only has domestic distribution rights, although I don't know how much they paid for that. Sony is releasing the movie worldwide.

Again, and insane budget. Honestly, I don't even know where it went.
There are some really conflicting reports on the budget (also from Deadline):
Those affiliated with the movie have been saying that $400M is the magic breakeven number, but Deadline sources believe that’s far from true. One source with knowledge of the budget claims it’s significantly higher in the $170M range versus the $155M being floated around. To Alcon’s credit they took advantage of foreign credits and rebates, shooting Blade Runner 2049 in Hungary. One insider even asserts they came in under their original proposed budget.
I don't know if this is their usual claim of higher budget (they almost always have at least one claim of "sources say the budget may be higher") or if it's the somewhat unusual (for a film of this budget) financial arrangements that is causing this spread of opinion.

The sad thing about this bombing is that it's probably going to screw up the Dune plans.
I know.
But who is the distributer for Dune? If it is WB or Sony, then maybe they would be hesitant to give Denis a ton of money again. But if it is someone else, who knows.

I really, really hope his Dune plans don't fall through. I need a great adaptation of that.

Well I guess this cements it as a true Blade Runner movie now!

Wouldn't it have to be critically panned at first too?

Jarmel

Banned
Depending on the blowback, I could see Dune getting put on ice. It depends on if producers decide the issue is with Villenueve’s directing style or if Blade Runner, and cyberpunk as a whole, is just box office poison.
Wouldn't it have to be critically panned at first too?
RT percentage is dropping, we might get there yet.

I went to the only prime time Saturday showing at my local cinema and it wasn't very full. Normally that would be the most packed showing a movie like this would get in its run. That's with it having very few screens to begin with. I can't see this making a lot of money in Australia. Also the audiences reaction didn't seem overly positive (though some clearly loved it).

Despera

Banned
All I'm going to say is that I'm so fucking glad I watched Baby Driver after Flatliners (was dragged into it). The contrast in quality definitely made me appreciate BD that much more.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Depending on the blowback, I could see Dune getting put on ice. It depends on if producers decide the issue is with Villenueve’s directing style or if Blade Runner, and cyberpunk as a whole, is just box office poison.

RT percentage is dropping, we might get there yet.

it's over already certified.

Seems Harrison Ford wasn't enough.

Pachimari

One of the things I wonder is when Marvel is going to start announcing the Phase 4 stuff. We know Guardians 3 is one of them and they haven't announced officially announced the timing on that (and technically, they didn't announce Homecoming's sequel, Sony did). Best I can figure is that they're going to do their own press conference like we did for Phase 3 sometime between the next 2 Avengers movies. Also, I wonder where the new characters are going to come from, as even with them introducing 2 new ones at the end of this phase I don't see them going a whole phase without any.
Feige have already said they don’t wanna do an announcement like they did with previous phases. It’s gonna be different and they’ll do it differently post phase 3.

Honestly that 36 million number is closer to what I was thinking it would originally do. I was suspecting it would do between $300-400 WW before reviews hit.

I thought though that the reviews would boost the film maybe past what I was suspecting but after hearing all the reports of people not liking the slow pace of the film that brings my expectations back down.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Now that's interesting. Pleased the critics, pleased the fans, but the bottom is still falling out.

*shrug*

I'm not concerned about it either way, honestly. Denis did what he had to, I don't think anyone can fault him there. And I'm not really clamoring for another Blade Runner movie.

jett

D-Member
Now that's interesting. Pleased the critics, pleased the fans, but the bottom is still falling out.

*shrug*

I'm not concerned about it either way, honestly. Denis did what he had to, I don't think anyone can fault him there. And I'm not really clamoring for another Blade Runner movie.

I think he can absolutely be blamed for the movie's glacial pace.

J_Viper

I very much enjoyed Denny's most recent films (Sicario, Arrival, and now BR), but they all move at a snail's pace.

The solution for Dune is to find an editor that can tighten this dude's films up, or cast Jakey-G as the lead, because I don't remember Enemy and Prisoners having any pacing issues.

Top Bottom