• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•29-10•01•17 - Cruise spitroasted by Pennywise and Kingsman, Flatliners DOA

kswiston

Gosling was cast in 2015, and the film shot before La La Land even opened.

I doubt his paycheck was more substantial than typical.

I want to know what Ford got though.

Try to reverse engineer the process that went into the budgeting of the movie. We have pretty boy Ryan Gosling who's coming off the biggest movie of his career in La-La land. Harrison Ford who's latest movie is him reprising one of his two iconic role which grossed 2 billion. One of the best director in the world willing to work on big ambitious projects by Hollywood standards and a respected IP known for a timeless classic so it should perform decently if we put the effort into it (another MM Fury Road).
Again I will never understand the comparison between MM and BR. The former is like an adrenaline fueled ride from start to end while for the latter, I haven't personally seen it but if it is slow paced, there is no comparison here.

All of the pre-release media for Blade Runner was hardly exciting for me and I am not a fan of the series. I don't think the trailers sold the movie to those who never heard of the first and I have seen the original movie but don't really remember it as fondly.

Gosling being a big shot Hollywood star is a hoax that has been proven right many times. Nothing on his acting but dude can't seriously lift a whole movie on his own. Ford is an old fart now who got lucky with a revival of Star Wars after a long time.

If you expected BR to make big bucks just because it had Ford coming off from Star Wars then you can apply the same logic to almost any movie from actors that worked in Star Wars TFA. One of them is in Pacific Rim Uprising although I doubt it will effect the box office.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I would hope execs were smart enough to realize there was no real nostalgia to see Ford reprise that role, certainly not anywhere close to the level of seeing him mumble-growl lines as Han Solo.

I always assume most Gosling roles over the past few years were due to Drive.

I don't really know what was going on with the marketing of Blade Runner. I was kind of surprised the movie opened this week actually, thought it was later in the month for some reason. Zero marketing here in Europe.

Also, the things I did see (some interviews with Harrison Ford mostly) was basically: I can't talk about the movie. Way to sell me on it, if you don't allow the actors to talk about it. I haven't seen the original, a ton of people haven't, so please at least explain what I can expect.

The biggest marketing push for this whole thing seems to be Ford punching Gosling in the face.

kitzkozan

Which was my real point. The budget they gave the movie was insane. lol

It's not insane when you look at how Warner Brothers operate. This is a studio that has always taken risks and will keep doing so. Blade Runner 2049 is a superb risk that will backfire, but them be the breaks lol. :p King Arthur was a bomb of epic proportions and WB has already moved on.

IT will become the most profitable movie compared to it's small budget after Wolf Warrior 2. Wonder Woman is this close to passing Spider Man worlwide gross for biggest origin SH movie. Dunkirk is another movie which vastly over delivered as some insiders probably expected the movie to break even or lose money. Lego Batman and Kong: Skull island performed well.

It's probably a banner year for WB and BR 2049 falling short of expectations is not the end of the world. Who remember that King Arthur is the biggest bomb of the year? Justice League should turn a generous profit thx to more Gal Gadot magic lol.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It's not insane when you look at how Warner Brothers operate. This is a studio that has always taken risks and will keep doing so. Blade Runner 2049 is a superb risk that will backfire, but them be the breaks lol. :p King Arthur was a bomb of epic proportions and WB has already moved on.

IT will become the most profitable movie compared to it's small budget after Wolf Warrior 2. Wonder Woman is this close to passing Spider Man worlwide gross for biggest origin SH movie. Dunkirk is another movie which vastly over delivered as some insiders probably expected the movie to break even or lose money. Lego Batman and Kong: Skull island performed well.

It's probably a banner year for WB and BR 2049 falling short of expectations is not the end of the world. Who remember that King Arthur is the biggest bomb of the year? Justice League should turn a generous profit thx to more Gal Gadot magic lol.

It’s not from WB though. The production was handled by Alcon Entertainment (financed by Alcon and Columbia/Sony), WB handles the distribution side domestically, that’s all really.

kitzkozan

Gosling being a big shot Hollywood star is a hoax that has been proven right many times. Nothing on his acting but dude can't seriously lift a whole movie on his own. Ford is an old fart now who got lucky with a revival of Star Wars after a long time.

If you expected BR to make big bucks just because it had Ford coming off from Star Wars then you can apply the same logic to almost any movie from actors that worked in Star Wars TFA. One of them is in Pacific Rim Uprising although I doubt it will effect the box office.

This is a trap that Hollywood executives keep falling for and you know it. Remember In the heart of the sea which was an epic bomb? How could it flop when Thor has been cast as the lead + Ron Howard as the director or how about GITS and it's insane budget + Scarlett. :p

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Circle had Emma Watson, John Boyega, Tom Hanks, and Karen Gillan and no one cared about that lol. 2017 audiences are savages. We watching Get Out and IT now.

Movie-43-poster-quad.jpg

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I would hope execs were smart enough to realize there was no real nostalgia to see Ford reprise that role, certainly not anywhere close to the level of seeing him mumble-growl lines as Han Solo.

I always assume most Gosling roles over the past few years were due to Drive.
Does anyone really care about Drive though? I think he was coasting off The Notebook until La La Land.
The Circle had Emma Watson, John Boyega, Tom Hanks, and Karen Gillan and no one cared about that lol. 2017 audiences are savages. We watching Get Out and IT now.

I still want to see that movie because of the cast, especially if Tom Hanks is in a villain role. Dude has bored me for years.

kitzkozan

It’s not from WB though. The production was handled by Alcon Entertainment (financed by Alcon and Columbia/Sony), WB handles the distribution side domestically, that’s all really.

It's more or less the same scenario as the original since it was distributed by WB and produced by various companies. Doesn't change that WB is a studio willing to take risks lol. I always hear that WB are super director friendly and willing to support people who they are fans of. Didn't Kubrick get a lifetime contract with WB after 2001 where he could do whatever the fuck he wanted?

jett

D-Member
Honestly, where did Blade Runner's budget go. It doesn't look that expensive. Maybe its understated art design is deceiving.

Now that we have a trailer, what are people seeing for Pacific Rim Uprising?

Power Rangers tier, if it's lucky.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It's more or less the same scenario as the original since it was distributed by WB and produced by various companies. Doesn't change that WB is a studio willing to take risks lol. I always hear that WB are super director friendly and willing to support people who they are fans of. Didn't Kubrick get a lifetime contract with WB after 2001 where he could do whatever the fuck he wanted?

Oh for sure, WB usually are the “risk takers” in the industry, sure. But just wanted to develop said relationship between WB and BR2049 :)

I’d love for WB to take a risk and greenling the last entry in the Divergent Series: Ascendant 🙃 I’d be eternally grateful!

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly, where did Blade Runner's budget go. It doesn't look that expensive. Maybe its understated art design is deceiving.

Some of those city shots looked super expensive and hearing how Deakins and Villi put an emphasis on practical such as that Super Joi sequence, I can see those bills adding up.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I still want to see that movie because of the cast, especially if Tom Hanks is in a villain role. Dude has bored me for years.

That streak will continue. That Black Mirror episode with Bryce Dallas Howard did a better take on the pitfalls of social media.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Please no one go in that Nelly thread, we can't lose any more BO GAF members

lol screw em.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself as I always say. Hopefully some of them come back without the shitty posts and unfunny jokes in every thread, assuming they return.

I think Uprising will see a rather significant drop-off from the original in the West. As for China, I have no idea. Maybe it will compensate, maybe not. The first one did around 400 mil worldwide, so the sequel is gonna be in the 350 - 450 range I'd say. Where it lands exactly will depend on the reception in each continent.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
That streak will continue. That Black Mirror episode with Bryce Dallas Howard did a better take on the pitfalls of social media.
I still need to check that show out lol.
lol screw em.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself as I always say. Hopefully some of them come back without the shitty posts and unfunny jokes in every thread, assuming they return.
I almost always avoid threads like these, there is simply nothing to discuss and having a bunch of men tell their opinions on rape is incredibly annoying (yes I know men can get raped to).
The Circle is one of the worst films I've seen this year. Watch Captain Phillips if you want an incredible Hanks performance.

I saw it in theatres and thought it was typical Hanks. The most remember thing about that film is the "I am the captain now," meme. Was a good movie though.

Pharaun

Just got back from taking the family to My Little Pony and the kids all enjoyed it. The theater was only about 1/3rd full which was a bit surprising for a family film on a Saturday afternoon. I really thought it would do better but the Box Office numbers look like they are going to be brutal for everything this weekend.

The movie itself was fine but suffered from the same problem that most TV series to film adaptations do, it just felt like a really stretched out episode. The animation was actually really well done though, much much better than the show and it was nice watching something that wasn't the typical 3D CG stuff.

Slayven looks forward to explaining why the Thunderbolts aren't a Suicide Squad rip off about 400 times.

Unless they are going with the Millar/Ellis version. Which was a Suicide Squad rip off.

They aren't doing Thunderbolts unless it's the Ellis version. Their villains aren't established and their Zemo is a black hole of nothingness.

Great films that bomba'd:

Apes
mother!
Blade Runner
Ghost in the Shell

J_Viper, no. Don't do this to yourself.

This was a better edit.

Or maybe audiences don't like films that end with them sitting in their seat felling empty and hollow. It's pretty ballsy to release a movie like that and expect commercial success of any sort, even ignoring the budget.

So, like Mother!...?

This shit is depressing. Blade Runner 2049 is far and away the best film to come out this year. Though I suppose it's not too shocking that it underperformed at the box office, like the original did.

Audiences aren't paying $15 to go see those types of films in the theater and they're certainly not telling their friends to do the same.

Honestly, creators and studios need to get use to those types of projects being TV or streaming, where the costs to entry is hidden from the consumer. That's not to say they shouldn't exist in theaters, but it's a real risk.

Now that we have a trailer, what are people seeing for Pacific Rim Uprising?

Slightly down in the US, stronger in international markets.

Toparaman

Banned
Just heard the news about BR underperforming. Honestly it might just be a slow burner. I think hard sci-fi fans aren't as rabid as, say, Star Wars/Trek or comic book fans. I know I certainly didn't feel like making the effort to watch BR 2049 asap, even though I am looking forward to watching it next weekend. There just isn't the strong desire for sequels in hard sci-fi. It's only the talent involved that has me interested.

I feel empty and hollow after most superhero movies. Wonder Woman was dope at least.

This tbh. And I really do respect Marvel movies as solidly crafted entertainment. But they're just kind of bland. That's pretty much the source material though.

Im not convinced that a cape film will ever overtake TDK. logan tried and failed, and marvel hires tv folks, and Fox is betting it all on Deadpool, who will get boring eventually. Maybe disney will make an r rated Iron Man 4, with an actual decent villain?

Black Panther will surprise people. You've got a great director working with a stellar cast. And like with Wonder Woman, it's looking like they're letting it be standalone within the larger shared universe.

And again like Wonder Woman, it's funny to think we'll get two Black Panther appearances in one year across the solo movie and the big team up. Only about three months apart for T'Challa, I think.

jett

D-Member
I think "cape" movies are inherently limited by how ridiculous they are, and how they must appeal to a wide sector of the population. I dunno man, I've lost all taste for them recently, they're at best disposable entertainment that I forget about the next day. Even TDK has grown in de-appreciation for me.

This is the best movie based on a comic book/graphic novel
O2W24xM.jpg

I think "cape" movies are inherently limited by how ridiculous they are, and how they must appeal to a wide sector of the population. I dunno man, I've lost all taste for them recently, they're at best disposable entertainment that I forget about the next day. Even TDK has grown in de-appreciation for me.

This is the best movie based on a comic book/graphic novel
O2W24xM.jpg

The ending of this movie was fucking ridiculous.

Black Panther will surprise people. You've got a great director working with a stellar cast. And like with Wonder Woman, it's looking like they're letting it be standalone within the larger shared universe.

And again like Wonder Woman, it's funny to think we'll get two Black Panther appearances in one year across the solo movie and the big team up. Only about three months apart for T'Challa, I think.
BP not being all white everything makes it more fresh than most of the MCU already.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

The hackneyed dialog and bad CGI in the trailer have me worried.

vern

I watched "the foreigner" two nights ago. The cinema was pretty full. The movie was hot garbage. I watched it in Chinese so I probably missed a few things, but there were a few parts that were completely pointless , for example (mild spoiler)
Jackie Chan is shown in his hotel room making something, bomb maybe I don't know, it's like 2 minutes of him cooking up some shit with beakers and stuff. Later the bad guys come to his room to fight him, they show Jackie pack up his bombs or whatver into two big black trash bags. He hides them under his bed. The bags or contents of them are never seen again...

Slightly bigger but still mild spoiler
Also Jackie just disappears for like 30 minutes in the middle of the movie while Brosnan and a bunch of Irish people do stuff. Jackie just sits in the woods outside Brosnans compound for a week in the rain presumably.

Avoid it.

Comments about Blade Runner being slow and relatively lacking in action seem to be influential. We almost saw American Made (partly because of Liman as director) in our group instead of Blade Runner because of it, but I got us to follow through on BR.

Top Bottom