• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 10•06-08•17 - Ponies trampled by Runner, Mountain Between #1 & #2

xaosslug

8nK8AKO.jpg
d8F23j0.jpg
bQ6UOhQ.jpg
22zRs5e.jpg
HYzxl15.jpg

tomatometer:
Cfk79.gif
89% Blade Runner 2049
eptv7.gif
46% The Mountain Between Us
kavuF.gif
85% It
3Pj0x.gif
58% My Little Pony: The Movie
5f4ew.gif
50% Kingsman: The Golden Circle
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
aAS8X.gif
29% The Stray

metacritic:
*click pic(s) for source*

‘Blade Runner 2049' Fades to $31.5 Million Opening Weekend

”Blade Runner 2049" is heading for a downbeat $31.5 million opening weekend at 4,058 sites in North America.

Sunday's estimated result throws serious doubt onto what had been high hopes for a box office success story. In one of the most surprising turnarounds in recent years, ”Blade Runner 2049" fell far short of expectations, which had been in the $45 million to $50 million range at the start of the weekend amid stellar reviews, strong advance ticket sales, and the revered status of 1982's original ”Blade Runner."

Instead, the film grossed only a moderate $12.7 million on Friday, including $4 million from Thursday night previews. Saturday saw an 11% decline to $11.4 million and Sunday's projected total was $7.4 million.

The key factors for the under-performance were the movie's 163-minute running time — which limits the number of showings each day — plus far less traction among younger moviegoers than anticipated.

”The core of enthusiastic and loyal ‘Blade Runner' fans were over 25 and predominantly male and propelled the film as expected to the top spot, but a lengthy running time and lesser interest among females made it tougher for the film to reach the original weekend box office projections," said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst with comScore.

According to PostTrack, males over 25 represented 50% of the audience and females over 25 were 27%, while males under 25 represented 15% of moviegoers and females under 25 were 8%.

Warner Bros. is handling domestic distribution on ”Blade Runner 2049," starring Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford, through its output deal with Alcon Entertainment. Financed by Alcon and Sony and laden with special effects, the film carries a $150 million price tag. Denis Villeneuve helms the sequel film, which is set in a bleak 2049 Los Angeles with Gosling starring as an LAPD officer dealing with replicants seeking freedom.

Warner Bros. domestic distribution president Jeff Goldstein said ”Blade Runner 2049" had fallen short of expectations in mid-sized and smaller markets along with the South and Midwest.

”We did well in the major and high-profile markets," he added.

Fox's opening of survival drama ”The Mountain Between Us," starring Idris Elba and Kate Winslet, was the weekend's runner-up, coming in slightly below projections with a moderate $10.1 million at 3,088 venues. Based on the Charles Martin novel, the film stars Elba as a surgeon and Winslet as a journalist who are left stranded together following a plane crash. Reviews have been mixed, earning the film a 46% score on Rotten Tomatoes.

Lionsgate's animated ”My Little Pony" trotted in with a modest $8.8 million at 2,528 locations, slightly above forecasts. Based on the Hasbro toys and TV series, the movie's voice cast includes Emily Blunt, Kristin Chenoweth, Uzo Aduba, and Sia.

The fifth weekend of New Line's blockbuster ”It" showed plenty of staying power in third place with $9.6 million at 3,197 sites. It will close the weekend with $305 million domestically plus $298.8 million internationally to top the $600 million worldwide mark.

Fox's third weekend of ”Kingsman: The Golden Circle" and Universal's second weekend of ”American Made" were battling for fifth place with about $8.1 million each, followed by Warner's third weekend of ”The Lego Ninjago Movie" with $6.8 million. Focus Features' expansion of Judi Dench's ”Victoria & Abdul" came in eighth with $4.1 million at 732 locations.

*click pic for full list/source*

*click pic for full list/source*

BR will find its audience with the home release. And then will go on to reach classic status when the fifth cut of the film is released twenty years from now on Mindflix. Which will lead to a third movie directed by Brett Ratner Jr because fuck you.

Fucking Blade Runner opened below Power Ranger, sometimes, I can't get people XD.
Long time in between sequels
An original loads of people haven't seen
Confusion on what version to even see from the original so you just ignore it.
This is relative to what I'd expect for it opening weekend. Should have solid legs though.

jett

D-Member
Kind of a shame Blade Runner never found an audience. The demographic figures are dismal. I knew those trailers weren't any good.

BR will find its audience with the home release. And then will go on to reach classic status when the fifth cut of the film is released twenty years from now on Mindflix. Which will lead to a third movie directed by Brett Ratner Jr because fuck you.

I'm sure executives greenlighting movies today will appreciate that this one might make a dollar of profit 30 years from now, maybe.

Fucking Blade Runner opened below Power Ranger, sometimes, I can't get people XD.
Word of mouth is spreading about the movie not being as action heavy as the trailers implied. When I went to go see it I could sense people next to me feeling bored, and these people did not look like Blade Runner fans.

Certinty

How the hell Blade Runner 2049 got green lighted with that budget is beyond me. They're lucky the movie is good though, otherwise this could have turned out as bad as King Arthur or something.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Word of mouth is spreading about the movie not being as action heavy as the trailers implied. When I went to go see it I could sense people next to me feeling bored, And these people did not look like Blade Runner fans.

Yeah, like I said before, my neighbor and friends walked out. I think everyone that wanted to see it, saw it on Thursday or Friday. Extremely front loaded, long, and sorta depressing. I'm betting it has legs like a newborn calf. I think the word of mouth among sci-fi and cinema buffs will be good. But everybody else...I don't know

Yeah, like I said before, my neighbor and friends walked out. I think everyone that wanted to see it, saw it on Thursday or Friday. Extremely front loaded, long, and sorta depressing. I'm betting it has legs like a newborn calf. I think the word of mouth among sci-fi and cinema buffs will be good. But everybody else...I don't know
They walked out? Dam.

golem

Maybe they should have went with a shorter theatrical cut and then released a final cut of 2049 lol

Shoeless

History will vindicate Blade Runner 2049. It will. Just like it did for the original.

I think this will probably be the case. It was a Blade Runner movie that felt like a Blade Runner movie with great visuals, weird questions about human nature and an uneven pace, but it works. I think Sony understood there was the possibility of a financial loss on this one, but it was acceptable to them in exchange for critical or film history historical acclaim. Maybe Kaz is just looking at it as, "Well, here's our cinematic Shadow of the Colossus." Home video is likely to save this movie's numbers.

Word of mouth is spreading about the movie not being as action heavy as the trailers implied. When I went to go see I could sense people next to me feeling bored, And these people did not look like Blade Runner fans.

A couple in the same line as me were actually snoring lol. I also saw 4 people walking out.

I liked the movie but I dont see the brilliance behind it tbh. It was a standard sci fi movie with tons of cliches.

I am actually questioning if Ghost in the Shell, which I think was just as "good" as Blade, was not only panned because of the racial controversy, but also because of the lead being a woman.

I dont think legs will save the film but we will see.

Schlorgan

A couple in the same line as me were actually snoring lol. I also saw 4 people walking out.

I liked the movie but I dont see the brilliance behind it tbh. It was a standard sci fi movie with tons of cliches.

I am actually questioning if Ghost in the Shell, which I think was just as "good" as Blade, was not only panned because of the racial controversy, but also because of the lead being a woman.

I dont think legs will save the film but we will see.
This'll go over well.

N7.Angel

People be like:

<< What the fuck is a masterpiece ? no one want to see that, where are the guns, the action and the big battles ??!!... I'm glad justice league is around the corner.>>

kurahador

I hope you mean the anime movie Ghost in the Shell.

kswiston

Worldwide updates

Despicable Me 3 - $1.025B
IT - $604M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $485M
Kingsman 2 - $254M
Blade Runner 2049 - $82M

The idea that, in 2017, people still "go in blind" for a film without doing any research whatsoever about whether or not it fits their interests is mind-boggling to me.

The idea that, in 2017, people still "go in blind" for a film without doing any research whatsoever about whether or not it fits their interests is mind-boggling to me.
Casual movie goers make spur of the moment decisions. Maybe they'll look at the RT score, but they sure as fuck ain't going to read anything.

kunonabi

Damn were they late AS FUCK with the pony movie

The mountain between us enjoyed the Bronson Bump (RIP)

Yeah, i dont know if the younglings are still super into it considering how old it is now.

No idea about the brony audience either. I lost interest once it got too political and the pandering to the bronies started increasing.

pestul

Worldwide updates

Despicable Me 3 - $1.025B
IT - $604M
War for the Planet of the Apes - $485M
Kingsman 2 - $254M
Blade Runner 2049 - $82M

So BR made $52M overseas.. not too bad depending on the number of territories. Yeah, unless it finds word of mouth business, I doubt it will break even. Digital and Blu-Ray will be great, but I doubt enough.. such a shame. This result better not effect Denis' budget for Dune.

Neophant

I could see Blade Runner 2049 getting a lot more love and appreciation as a cult classic much like the original film was. I wanted to see the first film again and was planning to see 2049 next weekend. Perhaps it could have longer legs over time as positive word of mouth spreads?

Bronx-Man

Banned
“Why doesn’t Hollywood do anything thought-provoking anymore, maaaaan”

*ignores Mother! and BR2049, letting them bomb while watching Marvel and Star Wars opening weekend purely for the sake of bitching about it*

Slayven

*ignores Mother! and BR2049, letting them bomb while watching Marvel and Star Wars opening weekend purely for the sake of bitching about it*

Damn Bronx, don't hurt them

Farsi

Bronx, never stop being Bronx. You're amazing.

jett

D-Member
So BR made $52M overseas.. not too bad depending on the number of territories. Yeah, unless it finds word of mouth business, I doubt it will break even. Digital and Blu-Ray will be great, but I doubt enough.. such a shame. This result better not effect Denis' budget for Dune.

It opened nearly everywhere except for China, Japan and some other territory.

I'll be surprised if Dune goes ahead at all.

Blade Runner will do good for scifi fans and old people who love the original but the long run time and 150m budget are gonna hurt it.

I think the film deserved it's run time unlike something like Kingsman 2 though.

Top Bottom