• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 12•16-18•16 - Mele kalikimaka for Disney as Rogue One & Moana #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

What was his last critically well-received movie?

Define critically well-received. Concussion (61%) and Men in Black 3 (68%) are his only fresh movies in the past 5 years. The last time he was in something over 80% on RT was Men in Black. He tends not to pick a ton of projects with amazing reviews.

BumRush

I will catch Rogue One on starz, Prequels that cover already known stories bore me for jump. Cause you know how it will end. It's way I still haven't watched Titanic or JFK

Titanic is awesome though. Knowing what happens actually enhances the film, if that makes sense.

kmfdmpig

Define critically well-received. Concussion (61%) and Men in Black 3 (68%) are his only fresh movies in the past 5 years. The last time he was in something over 80% on RT was Men in Black. He tends not to pick a ton of projects with amazing reviews.

That's surprising to me. I would have thought Hitch, I am Legend, and Pursuit of Happyness would have all hit that mark.

Angel_DvA

damn...

Palmer_v1

Oh is this the "Divergent Cinematic Universe |OT|" that literally nobody wants?

Disney is just competing with itself at this point. Like they're on NG+++ and just playing for high scores now.

BumRush

Worth watching in theaters. Not perfect, and typical Star Wars acting (though the leads and the main antagonist did a good job), but some really great set pieces. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, so some of the easter eggs/references didnt do much for me (or went over my head), but I like the same sort of things in comic films, so I'm sure Star Wars fans got a kick out of them. The film was over two hours but it somehow felt short.

Overall, Rogue One was better than the prequels, and I could see how some people prefer it to The Force Awakens.

Sounds solid! Still have a week until I see it.

kswiston

Other than Miss Sloane and Moonlight, the entire top 20 was under predicted. Disney was surprisingly on the mark with the Rogue One estimate as actuals only went up $90k (0.1%).

Moana was significantly underestimated and increased by over $1M.

Percentage-wise, Arrival and Doc Strange were also up quite a bit.

kmfdmpig

Pursuit of Happyness got a 67%, I Am Legend got a 70% and Hitch got a 69%.

Yeah. I checked as well and was surprised they were so low. None are masterpieces, but each are well-made crowd pleasers, so I would have assumed low to mid 80s on RT for each.

kswiston

How would $18M compare to the Sun / Mon drop of TFA percentage-wise?

Much higher, but TFA only dropped 33% on Monday. compare that to the 56% drop for Jurassic World (the record holder before TFA) on Monday. If 18M holds, Rogue One's drop will be 52%. A little over 1/3 of K-12 students are on winter break right now (similar or lower to the amount of students on summer break for JW), vs over 70% for TFA last year.

Rogue One is going to have a different run. This week won't be nearly as impressive, and Saturday will be terrible. However, Sunday and Monday will be very strong thanks to X-Mas on Sunday, and an almost universal holiday on Monday to make up for X-Mas being on the weekend. Kids also go back to school later in January, which should lead to a good set of third weekdays.

kswiston

Rogue One made $17.7M on Monday, giving it the 11th biggest start on the non-holiday Monday chart.

Last year, The Force Awakens made $40.1M on its first Monday, setting a new record for the largest monday of all time. Its second Monday of $31.6M was the second largest Monday of all time.

I'm not really seeing $600M for Rogue One, but I think $500M+ is still looking good. We will obviously have to see how the holiday business looks first though.

Schlorgan

So it begins.

RTQKgm6.png

Boke1879

Rogue One made $17.7M on Monday, giving it the 11th biggest start on the non-holiday Monday chart.

Last year, The Force Awakens made $40.1M on its first Monday, setting a new record for the largest monday of all time. Its second Monday of $31.6M was the second largest Monday of all time.

I'm not really seeing $600M for Rogue One, but I think $500M+ is still looking good. We will obviously have to see how the holiday business looks first though.

Definitely gonna be interesting to see how Christmas day and that monday goes for this movie. I know personally I'm going back on Christmas with family

kswiston

We should pull up one of those old "video game movies are the next big thing" threads from a year ago and have a sensible chuckle.

BumRush

Much higher, but TFA only dropped 33% on Monday. compare that to the 56% drop for Jurassic World (the record holder before TFA) on Monday. If 18M holds, Rogue One's drop will be 52%. A little over 1/3 of K-12 students are on winter break right now (similar or lower to the amount of students on summer break for JW), vs over 70% for TFA last year.

Rogue One is going to have a different run. This week won't be nearly as impressive, and Saturday will be terrible. However, Sunday and Monday will be very strong thanks to X-Mas on Sunday, and an almost universal holiday on Monday to make up for X-Mas being on the weekend. Kids also go back to school later in January, which should lead to a good set of third weekdays.

Man, TFA was a beast.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks the original Tim Burton Batman is going to drop out it the top 100 North American box office.

**pours one out**

kswiston

Sometime in the next couple of weeks the original Tim Burton Batman is going to drop out it the top 100 North American box office.

**pours one out**

Pretty crazy how much the box office has changed since then. Batman 1989 was the fastest film to $100M, taking 10 days to get there.

Now the record is one day. When Star Wars Ep 12 comes out, $100M will be the Thursday previews :p

Edit: before someone brings up inflation, Batman 1989's 10 day gross inflates to $217M. There are 29 films that have made more than that in 10 days without inflation.

AndyVirus

I knew Assassin's Creed wasn't going to set the world on fire but I didn't even realise there's a good chance it opens in fourth place.

kswiston

People talk about Jaws, but Batman '89 is the first modern blockbuster IMO.

Nah. Jaws changed the game. A $7M opoening weekend doesnt sound that impressive until you consider the fact that it was only released in 400 theatres opening weekend. Adjusting for inflation, it would be the same as a film making close to $30M from 400 theatres, with a $72.5k PTA.

Batman was released in around 2200 theatres and adjusts to an $88M opening with a $40k PTA.

The Force Awakens had a $60k PTA.

Nah. Jaws changed the game. A $7M opoening weekend doesnt sound that impressive until you consider the fact that it was only released in 400 theatres opening weekend. Adjusting for inflation, it would be the same as a film making close to $30M from 400 theatres, with a $72.5k PTA.

Batman was released in around 2200 theatres and adjusts to an $88M opening with a $40k PTA.

The Force Awakens had a $60k PTA.

Right, Jaws was the first blockbuster, but I consider Batman the first modern blockbuster. It's the one that started the trend of huge opening weekends and (relatively, for the time) short legs. The biggest films of today tend to perform a lot more like Batman than they do Jaws.

kswiston

Right, Jaws was the first blockbuster, but I consider Batman the first modern blockbuster. It's the one that started the trend of huge opening weekends and (relatively, for the time) short legs. The biggest films of today tend to perform a lot more like Batman than they do Jaws.

Ah. I missed the modern part. Ghostbusters 2 was even more modern!

The BvS of 1989.

Sulik2

I wanted to see AC, but with how bad those reviews are I'm sure I will just end up seeing Rogue One a third time. Star Wars is gonna mop up this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom