• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 12•11-13•15 - Calm before the Stormtroopers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
Did boxoffice.com release a new domestic total? I see they raised the OW prediction to 229M which would put their overall domestic total at 811M using the same multiplier.

Very close to my 228M/810M prediction.

hitchup-MakeYouUneasy-12.gif

Old fans will get a kick out of it. Everyone else will be like whatever.

I think it'll go the other way, actually.

Old fans will tire of the film semi-quickly. New fans will just like it because their frame of reference is less solidified.

Basically, I think it's much more possible that old fans will say "That was a good Star War" and new viewers will be like "okay, I get why people like this shit now. Because I really liked that shit."

JESUS.

Now that's a fuckload of cash

I think that there probably aren't enough showings/theatres to make $300 million possible for any movie.

There really aren't.

Makes 200M.

"What went wrong?"

What went wrong is Bronson hates Star Wars so he destroyed all the film prints, obv

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
The only request I have about TFA stuff, is that we keep the sane discussion in these WBO threads and let the crazies fend for themselves in the other gazillion threads that'll spawn upon release :p

It's going to eclipse the Smash thread phenomenon on Gaming side after that last Direct.

Going to last longer, too.
Is it going to eclipse the old SmashDojo threads though?
*That* is the true question.

Just wait for that "Only $235M? Weren't industry experts expecting $300M first weekend? What went wrong?"
These are the worst, and based on the predictions thread, there will be a lot of these :(

I'll be optimistic and say that wouldn't happen if it made that much.
Oh it'll happen.

You know while I don't t think it will unseat avatar I kind of also want it to just so I can watch the fireworks.
There will be fireworks
and salt
either way :p

Kswiston, how long until we'll know if it's going to pass Titanic?

Deadline's gonna be going crazy this weekend. They already have a full coverage section.
I'd say it depends on how much it opens and how much it does by its 3rd weekend.

This is crazy. The previous December OW record was set by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, with 84 million dollars. December isn't known for huge opening weekends. It looks likely that Star Wars will almost triple that record. Crazy... Absolutely crazy.

kswiston

I see that people didn't even wait for tomorrow's preview numbers to start posting separate box office threads...

Kswiston, how long until we'll know if it's going to pass Titanic?

Domestic or Worldwide?

Domestic we will probably have a good idea by Christmas day, if not opening weekend. If it's first week is bigger than Jurassic World, than it will top Titanic domestically.

Worldwide, who knows. Breaking the WW opening weekend record doesn't mean much. The current record holder (Jurassic World) is still $500M shy of Titanic.

As a side note, Peanuts is getting a re-release here in Mexico on December 25th because... well most people don't even know the characters by the Peanuts name.
000732.jpg

kswiston

Welcome to hell, k-swiss

If it makes you feel better, South Korea's first day gross for The Force Awakens had to settle for #2 behind the second day gross of The Himalayas (at least in admissions). Hong Kong is coming in lower than expected as well.

China doesn't always follow the box office pattern of those two, but they are typically a decent predictor. I think that people need to reign in their expectations in China.

If it makes you feel better, South Korea's first day gross for The Force Awakens had to settle for #2 behind the second day gross of The Himalayas (at least in admissions).

Nothing will make me feel better
Life is meaningless
The only joy I will receive in life will be the end of it
Eat Arby's!

Nothing will make me feel better
Life is meaningless
The only joy I will receive in life will be the end of it
Eat Arby's!

Why don't you throw some oreos on the ground and eat the oreos off the ground like a fucking animal you piece of shit.

(from your friends at the Food Netwerk)

Why don't you throw some oreos on the ground and eat the oreos off the ground like a fucking animal you piece of shit.

(from your friends at the Food Netwerk)

I'd rather go to Flavortown than Coruscant, that's for damn sure

Also I may or may not have accidentally talked my sister out of going to an opening night showing with me because of the crowds

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
As a side note, Peanuts is getting a re-release here in Mexico on December 25th because... well most people don't even know the characters by the Peanuts name.

this is a very funny point. My ex took my daughter and her half-sister to Peanuts, and apparently her sister (6yo) was like "meh".. and when the movie started was then like "why is charlie brown and snoopy in this?!? Wait, THIS is Peanuts?!? This is awesome!!"

I actually feel keeping the Peanuts name was unbelievably respectful of Fox.. but yeah, a huge chunk of their target demo probably had no idea it was really Charlie Brown and Snoopy.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
If it makes you feel better, South Korea's first day gross for The Force Awakens had to settle for #2 behind the second day gross of The Himalayas (at least in admissions). Hong Kong is coming in lower than expected as well.

China doesn't always follow the box office pattern of those two, but they are typically a decent predictor. I think that people need to reign in their expectations in China.

I'm looking at the schedule in China following our brief convo, it's got a lot of local pics to compete with. It'll do well but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not Transformers tier.

Exodust

Banned
Star Wars was good. It has flaws but it was a very good blockbuster. It'll make its money most definitely. Still think it'll be the biggest earner of the year.

It was never going to be better than Fury Road or the best movie of the year. But man is it a good flick. Word of mouth might add a lot even if everyone and their mother is probably going to see it.

kswiston

So someone on the Box Office Theory threads posted a link to an old Box Office Mojo article and pretty much every one of those Wednesday international openings for The Force Awakens was under Deathly Hallows Pt 2 (also a Wed opening overseas) in US dollars. Holidays will extend legs, but I am not seeing anything that remotely points towards $2B overseas yet. Harry Potter finished with $960M ($900M outside of China, which is still higher than anything other than Titanic and Avatar).

So someone on the Box Office Theory threads posted a link to an old Box Office Mojo article and pretty much every one of those Wednesday international openings for The Force Awakens was under Deathly Hallows Pt 2 (also a Wed opening overseas) in US dollars. Holidays will extend legs, but I am not seeing anything that remotely points towards $2B overseas yet. Harry Potter finished with $960M ($900M outside of China, which is still higher than anything other than Titanic and Avatar).

Great catch.

kswiston

Great catch.

The holidays will be an x-factor though. Look at what happened with The Hobbit in 2012. There was a poster on GAF who insisted that the film was going to top out at $500-600M after the first weekend or two, despite me and others telling him to wait for the holidays to kick in.

European grosses are strong enough that I think my $1.2B overseas guess for The Force Awakens will be in the right ballpark. We will likely be waiting for something else to bump off Avatar though (Not that this news should be surprising).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom