• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 12•11-13•15 - Calm before the Stormtroopers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcetti

Everyone went to see Avatar because we thought 3D was going to somehow make cinema better and we thought Cameron couldn't fail when making scifi action movie. Two huge assumptions right there. Fool me once.

Everyone went to see Avatar because we thought 3D was going to somehow make cinema better and we thought Cameron couldn't fail to make a compelling action scifi movie. Two huge assumptions right there. Fool me once.

You don't make that kind of money without an astounding amount of repeat viewers

jett

D-Member
There's really one common denominator between Titanic and ABADAR, the two biggest movies of all-time: a romantic subplot.

Star Wars has no such thing.

Therefore, Star Wars = bomba.

BumRush

Everyone went to see Avatar because we thought 3D was going to somehow make cinema better and we thought Cameron couldn't fail when making scifi action movie. Two huge assumptions right there. Fool me once.

Wait, avatar was a good movie and the 3D was done right and to amazing effect. Not Cameron's fault few have come close to doing 3D the way he did in avatar.

FoneBone

Well those count for Friday's totals right? Friday will be the first day a movie made over 100M in a single day, right?
They do, though IMO that's increasingly ridiculous (it made some sense when it was just midnight shows, but with shows starting as early as 7 it really doesn't).

There's really one common denominator between Titanic and ABADAR, the two biggest movies of all-time: a romantic subplot.

There's a bigger common denominator: they weren't sequels. Just like most record holders through movie history.

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya 3m3 minutes ago
#StarWarsTheForceAwakens crushes industry record for opening pre-shows w/ official $57M beating final Potter by 31%.

FoneBone

Gitesh Pandya ‏@giteshpandya 3m3 minutes ago
#StarWarsTheForceAwakens crushes industry record for opening pre-shows w/ official $57M beating final Potter by 31%.

IIRC Potter only had midnight shows, FWIW. (Though these lists don't make that distinction.)

$100+ million opening day seems pretty safe at this point.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

having went with two females, I can tell you you're not entirely on point. I won't go into any spoilers, I'll just say most of the themes and plot devices are fairly gender neutral, and a few that even skew more female..

while it's certainly no titanic (I don't think the "romance" of Avatar played a whole lot), it's also not the exclusive boys club that the prequels were. much closer to the concepts of the OT (which were also pretty universal)

3N16MA

Banned
5.7M from IMAX which breaks the IMAX record (obvious at this point).

100M+ OD is here.

It is also the 9th largest December opening on previews alone.

kswiston

If Star Wars follows Harry Potter 7.2s preview share it will gross 224m over the weekend.

I think it is fairly safe to predict a new opening record now unless Friday proper ends up being less than the previews

Werd

Preview showing numbers seems hard to compare given how they have shifted from midnight to 7PM in recent years. My theater had 5 screens showing the movie from 7 PM to showings that started as late as 2:30 AM.

Of course that's obviously still a lot of money for a partial days take and I don't know what kind of showings Harry Potter had anyway.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'm not sure why they want to move it to summer again. It's going to do ridiculous numbers now, and I doubt it'll have much competition
In the case of EpVIII, it helps that it'll be the 40th anniversary of ANH's release. You can bet Disney wants to milk that synergy to infinity
and beyond

So will SW go over or under Furious 7's overseas haul?
I expect around the same or a little bit less.

XD
The time SW attempted a romantic subplot, we got EpII D:

jett

D-Member
Got the box office data everyone was waiting for:

Star Wars only got the 4th best opening day in Peru, with 165k admissions, behind a local movie, Furious 7 and Age of Ultron.

Anth0ny

so are people now predicting this beats Avatar or what?
i always thought this was impossible.

nah

avatar legs and worldwide appeal was insane. star wars ain't beating that. I think it'll reach $2 billion, though.

it already has avatar beat in opening weekend, but that's about it.

Interesting that there are quite a few markets internationally that its opening behind Age of Ultron. It will smash it domestically though so no doubt be the bigger movie and its opening bigger in some other markets as well.

That said unless it has amazing holds it isn't beating Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom