• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 12•11-13•15 - Calm before the Stormtroopers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Those of us who were around for Avatar's run and participated in those threads are feeling a bit of deja vu at the talk of downplaying Avatar 2. What a nostalgia trip.

This was a fun thread. Took one week to go from, great debut with good word of mouth to, oh shit here we go again.

Avatar at ~$640m once international take is updated.

Cameron is pulling another Titanic. :D

They're estimating Sunday to drop 20% from Saturday. The drop last week was 3.1%. Just sayin'.

jett

D-Member
I want to see the thread for its second weekend, when it dropped like 2% lol

You'd have to look at multiple threads ,since Avatar didn't explode but instead kept making money forever.

Second weekend
Third
[URL="http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384535&highlight=wkd+box+office"]Fourth[/URL]
Fifth
Sixth

Bonus thread: AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Those were definitely box office GAF's best days. We should have an official collection of all the box office threads like they have for video game sales.

xaosslug

lawd, been doing these threads for a minute
ke5GObr.gif

GhaleonEB

Skimming the early threads, it went from people saying it would be lucky to cross $1b world wide, to crossing it in its third weekend. Fun times.

Dead

well not really...yet
You'd have to look at multiple threads ,since Avatar didn't explode but instead kept making money forever.

Second weekend
Third
[URL="http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384535&highlight=wkd+box+office"]Fourth[/URL]
Fifth
Sixth

Bonus thread: AVATAR surpasses Titanic to become the highest-grossing movie OF ALL TIME

Those were definitely box office GAF's best days. We should have an official collection of all the box office threads like they have for video game sales.
lol at the mental gymnastics people were going through (and still are) Inflation! Ticket numbers! Gone with the Wind!!!!

jett

D-Member
lol at the mental gymnastics people were going through (and still are) Inflation! Ticket numbers! Gone with the Wind!!!!

Or the excuses it didn't drop much...

CUZ ITS XMAS

CUZ ITS NEW YEARS

CUZ ITS JANUARY AND THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO WATCH

CUZ ITS VALENTINE'S DAY

CUZ fuck it I give up I accept james cameron was my evil overlord :(

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I've been a naysayer but I don't see a way Star Wars doesn't take the Domestic crown, not with a massive OW and christmas legs
Worldwide will be safe though

orochi91

Second weekend
Third
Fifth
Sixth

Those of us who were around for Avatar's run and participated in those threads are feeling a bit of deja vu at the talk of downplaying Avatar 2. What a nostalgia trip.

This was a fun thread. Took one week to go from, great debut with good word of mouth to, oh shit here we go again.

Y'all got link to the threads where it broke the $2billion and $2.7billion marks?

Edit: nvm, found them!

Branduil

I can't wait to see what the excuses become when Avatar 2 out grosses TFA/Ep8.

Don"t worry, we all know you've already bought navi-scented lube for the occasion.

Nice to see people realizing that Star Wars doesn't have the same appeal in the US than it has in the rest of the world.

I think it will cross 1B$ overseas but there's no way it's going to reach 2B$ and beat Avatar.

It will probably reach 700M$ domestic though.

There was almost never any chance of that happening. TFA could literally sell more tickets overseas than Avatar and still make less money due to exchange rates.

FTF

Nice to see people realizing that Star Wars doesn't have the same appeal in the US than it has in the rest of the world.

I think it will cross 1B$ overseas but there's no way it's going to reach 2B$ and beat Avatar.

It will probably reach 700M$ domestic though.

Wut? It's the opposite...SW has always been more popular in the US. Go look at the grosses and % split for every SW movie.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Got the box office data everyone was waiting for:

Star Wars only got the 4th best opening day in Peru, with 165k admissions, behind a local movie, Furious 7 and Age of Ultron.
I wonder if the rest of LatAm will follow through :p
Still have my doubts that EpVII will top what F7
let's conveniently ignore Minions
did.

Yeah the legs on Avatar are mind blowing. It just kept going and going and going
I'm honestly still more impressed by Titanic's run... 15 consecutive weeks as number 1, that's just insane and never happening again.

Ultron is the biggest joke this year next to Jem.
Such a good joke that Disney is laughing all the way to the bank.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Just wanted to share that In the Heart of the Sea has now reached $15 million domestically. Oustanding.

El Topo

Second weekend
Third
Fifth
Sixth

For some reason I never managed to find these threads lately. Thanks for the links.

Impressive opening night for Star Wars, but I do agree an * is needed for most opening day records lately once show times crept back to 7-8pm.

Timu

Wiki said Star Wars made 129.8 million in total recently...I wouldn't be surprised if that happened knowing how huge this movie is.

Road

You don't make that kind of money without an astounding amount of repeat viewers

Is there any research ever done on the relevance of repeat viewers? When I think about it reasonably, that's the kind of thing only the most ardent fanboys do and has a meaningless effect on movies. Most people go to the movies none or once a year. But maybe factual data says otherwise.

Anyway, first day record is not surprising, expected actually, but OW record will be shocking. Well, at least I would have thought so until a week ago. This week I think this movie is going to be huge. TV talking about it, people in the office talking about it. Non-fans buying tickets in advance for it. People are coming to me and saying "I've never seen any Star Wars movie" as if they were ashamed and had to rectify this by seeing The Force Awakens. It has all the makings of being an event movie...

...at least around the 20 or so people I've talked to this week. lol

v Yep, huge.

Road

TFA is the Adele of movies.

Anybody predicting over $300 was crazy.

That post you responded to was a joke obviously, but people predicting over $200m were already called crazy.

Force Awakens Friday –which includes that $57M it made in Thursday previews– is between $130M-$145M per industry estimates (not Disney). This puts Force Awakens in an opening weekend range of $250M-$275M

Competitors with pie in the sky numbers so when it only does $220m it seems disappointing??

JABEE

Star Wars will take the record. Everyone is going to see it. Star Wars is a much bigger brand for more demographics than the Avengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom