• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

WNBA GM Penny Toler fired for using N-Word in team speech

Oct 26, 2018

Sparks part with GM Penny Toler amid turmoil
Oct 4, 2019

The Los Angeles Sparks have relieved executive vice president and general manager Penny Toler of her duties, the team announced Friday.

The move comes after the Sparks were swept out of the WNBA semifinals, a series in which sources said Toler gave a fiery speech to the team after Game 2 that included the "N-word" on multiple occasions.

"By no means did I call my players the N-word," Toler told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne days before her departure. "I'm not saying that I couldn't have used it in a context. But it wasn't directed at any of my players.

"It's unfortunate I used that word. I shouldn't. Nobody should. ... But you know, like I said, I'm not here to defend word by word by word what I said. I know some of the words that I'm being accused of are embellished. Did I give a speech that I hoped would get our team going? Yes.

"I think that this whole conversation has been taken out of context because when we lose, emotions are running high and, unfortunately and obviously, some people feel some type of way."

Found an image from TMZ

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Hard R?

I thought black people took the word back and they could say it?

Oct 26, 2018
Hard R?

I thought black people took the word back and they could say it?
I wonder which player or trainer snitched?

Or was it a public speech reporters attended after the game, and the reporter told the league?

lol

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Maybe she was just quoting a rap song LOL.
Ya, its the WNBA so it's not like anyone follows it, but there was hardly any mention of this. Some low key blurbs on sites and that's it. CNN didn't even have it.

On the other hand, if some white coach or GM in charge of Teenage Lawnmowing League Division C did that, it would be front page news as a sports no-no.

Bunch of media assholes.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
The N word?

Is the N word, Near?

Off topic: I still find it confusing that one group of people can't say a word based on the colour of their skin, because saying that word offends another group of people, based on the colour of their skin, even though that group of people say that word.

Even more confusing is when we short hand it to 'N-word', we all know the word. We all say it internally (we have to as part of how our brain works) but we can't say it aloud because i'm not of the correct skin colour to be allowed to say it, without being called a racist?

If white people say it, they're racist because they're not black. If black people say it, it's racist because they're only allowed to say it due to their skin colour?

:messenger_dizzy:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
The N word?

Is the N word, Near?

Off topic: I still find it confusing that one group of people can't say a word based on the colour of their skin, because saying that word offends another group of people, based on the colour of their skin, even though that group of people say that word.

Even more confusing is when we short hand it to 'N-word', we all know the word. We all say it internally (we have to as part of how our brain works) but we can't say it aloud because i'm not of the correct skin colour to be allowed to say it, without being called a racist?

If white people say it, they're racist because they're not black. If black people say it, it's racist because they're only allowed to say it due to their skin colour?

It's almost like we're all human beings who can work together to produce a more perfect nation.

Reactions: Gashtronomy
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Can you expand on that, I don't want to get the wrong end of the stick and I feel that this could be interpreted in a few different ways
The things that we're taught to differentiate us are bullshit. We are all Americans trying to seek the glory who's opportunity is our birthright. I may just be nieve, but I actually believe in our nation's founding principle.

I was not disagreeing with anything you said

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
The things that we're taught to differentiate us are bullshit. We are all Americans trying to seek the glory who's opportunity is our birthright. I may just be nieve, but I actually believe in our nation's founding principle.

I was not disagreeing with anything you said
Thank you for the clarification.

We're not all American :messenger_squinting_tongue: I agree with the sentiment though, we're all just trying to make of it, the best we can.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
The N word?

Is the N word, Near?

You KNOW the history of that word, right?

I'm black but I don't say it. I find it offensive when anyone says it, black, white or whatever.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019

I'm black but I don't say it. I find it offensive when anyone says it, black, white or whatever.
I know the history of it, in America.

Bolded: This is where we as people should just stand up and say; "you know what? Nobody can say it. No rappers, no singers, nobody"

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
"It's unfortunate I used that word. I shouldn't. Nobody should....”

So nobody should ever say the word again? We should delete the word? When you try to delete a word out of existence, you actually give it MORE power

The minute any word has that much power, as far as I'm concerned, everyone on the planet should scream it. No word deserves that much power.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
The N word?

Is the N word, Near?

When it comes to that one word, the PC Police consider the word so offensive that they can’t even quote it. They try to delete the word out of existence by replacing it with the phrase “N-Word”, but they don’t apply that logic to derogatory words aimed at other groups. For example the word “Gook”, which is slang insult for Asian people, isn’t replaced with the phrase “G-Word”. Same goes for the slurs “Honky, Towel-Head, Wog, Cracker, Spic, Jungle Bunny” etc.

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: TheGreatYosh

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
When it comes to that one word, the PC Police consider the word so offensive that they can’t even quote it. They try to delete the word out of existence by replacing it with the phrase “N-Word”, but they don’t apply that logic to derogatory words aimed at other groups. For example the word “Gook”, which is slang insult for Asian people, isn’t replaced with the phrase “G-Word”. Same goes for the slurs “Honky, Towel-Head, Wog, Cracker, Spic, Jungle Bunny” etc.
WOG = Western oriented gentleman. I've no idea why it has become a racial slur. Most Americans don't know what a wog is though.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
I know the history of it, in America.

Bolded: This is where we as people should just stand up and say; "you know what? Nobody can say it. No rappers, no singers, nobody"
I agree. The word should be lost to history. But it's ingrained in culture in this country. Black folks were called that since slavery and they called each other that since then, too! There was a time in the 20s and 30s when there was a push to call each other brothers and sisters... But ... Yeah... Old habits. The young get it from the old and then the young become the old and pass it on by example... Rinse and repeat...

I'm gonna say the n-word
I thought you regularly did?

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
I agree. The word should be lost to history. But it's ingrained in culture in this country. Black folks were called that since slavery and they called each other that since then, too! There was a time in the 20s and 30s when there was a push to call each other brothers and sisters... But ... Yeah... Old habits. The young get it from the old and then the young become the old and pass it on by example... Rinse and repeat...

I thought you regularly did?
"Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to say the N word." - Alfred Pennyworth

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Red Sox fans are no strangers to sport personnel getting smeared on their way out the door, and reading this lady's accomplishments in the article caused deja vu.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon

does something like 'my nigga' offend you? genuinely curious because i've used it a few times on this board and i could take or leave it

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
I cringe at it... I don't like it being said to me or hearing it, seeing it signed or reading it. You're free to do so, obviously. Free speech on this board. I either gloss over it or scroll past it.
nah i'll def abstain from now on but the pic of denzel in training day will be missed

thanks for replying, dude

Reactions: DeafTourette