• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Demo #2 Now Live (Progress Carries to Release)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is a timed demo and only live from 2/24 to 3/26

Xbox:

PSN:

clarky

Gold Member
This is a timed demo and only live from 2/24 to 3/26

Xbox:

PSN:

Cheers for the tip, downloading.

Juza

I think the demo is just the full final game files gated to lock progression.
They're asking for minimum 60 GB available space for the full game though.

The largest demo that I've downloaded is about 7gb, but this one broke the record.

Last edited:
If this is any indication of the final version then this is yet another PC port ruined by stutters.

Game itself seems great but I'd really rather play it in ultrawide than on my PS5. Sigh.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
One day Japanese developers will actually give a shit about PC settings, because those in this are fucking terrible. I love how there's no option whatsoever to turn off - what I presume is - resolution scaling in this "Mode" setting.

Also, the mouse shows up whether you touch it or not once you engage the controller in a menu.

. . .that said, excellent game with the usual lack of care to the UX layer that TEAM NINJA is starting to get known for (with this and NIOH/SOP).

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Not good first impressions on PC. Game shows dualsense prompts even though I am using a Xbox series controller. Also crashed twice. Will try maybe once more but for now it has definitely put me off from buying it.

Sygma

One thing I absolutely love about this game is that compared to Sekiro where you could play hyper aggressively but it was way less rewarding than nailing a perfect defense, here you can pretty much bully bosses to oblivion and it works if you nail the parry timing on when you're attacked, on top of reacting appropriately in terms of footwork (managing the distance between you and the boss when they're dashing away from you, so there's not enough of for them to do jumped attacks or attack back immediately). In other words I'm digging that design a whole lot more.

Now the problem is that so far its been an absolute snoozefest (mostly because the regular enemies aren't aggressive enough) and there's a huge, huge tracking flaw as far as bosses goes. The boar in particular is bugged to hell, I refuse to believe that an end boss can't turn around quickly enough to face a player side stepping like a maniac

Last edited:
I played it and I have some issues. One thing that really annoyed me is not being able to change the field of view, which is far too wide for my liking. Another is how saturated the environment is and how it is far too demanding on the eyes. As far as level design I think it is many steps back from Nioh 2, which was fun to traverse with how densely packed everything was. Also, while I enjoy the character animations and combat design, I am getting obliterated by the higher level demons and feel somewhat robbed that I do not have a Yokai form to counter their bullshit. In conclusion, I bought Nioh 2 twice, but have no intention of buying this game and wish them the best of luck to fund their other indeavours.

onZnmR5.jpg

Banned
If this is any indication of the final version then this is yet another PC port ruined by stutters.

😑😑😑
how fucking hard is it to have an option to precompiled shaders?

it's astonishing that this still keeps happening after the issue basically became mainstream gaming news.

winjer

Gold Member
I tried the demo, but on technical terms is a freaking mess.
Locked to 60 fps. Terrible frame pacing and lots of stutters.

Gameplay was actually fun, if it wasn't for all the stutters and hitching.

Topher

Gold Member
I tried the demo, but on technical terms is a freaking mess.
Locked to 60 fps. Terrible frame pacing and lots of stutters.

Gameplay was actually fun, if it wasn't for all the stutters and hitching.

Playing on XSX and it runs smoothly for me. Going to download on PC to compare.

winjer

Gold Member

Users are reporting that the Steam version has more issues than the MS Store version.
The MS Store can run at 120 fps and nas better frame pacing.

Banned
They probably uploaded an older build to Steam.

could be, but that would be kinda weird ngl. you would think something like that would happen on the less prominent store lol

gonna be downloading the WIndows store version right now, let's see how it is.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
could be, but that would be kinda weird ngl. you would think something like that would happen on the less prominent store lol

downloading the WIndows store version right now, let's see how it is.

It's probably just a mistake.
Hopefully they'll fix it soon enough.

Pretty big glitch on series x. The boss knocked me off a cliff somehow and after that haven't been able to start the fight again. Even exiting the game didn't help. Can't walk pass the point any more
W3MOAV1.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
😑😑😑
how fucking hard is it to have an option to precompiled shaders?

it's astonishing that this still keeps happening after the issue basically became mainstream gaming news.

Its actually probably a fair bit of work as you need to extract every shader used in advance and run it all in a batch.

Precompilation is a workaround, even a bodge-fix, it really shouldn't be required. I mean basically its just offloading a bunch of work that should happen piecemeal within the per frame render pipeline to what amounts to a secondary loading stage. That even top-end PC's can't do this without stuttering shows that there's a fundamental design flaw in the API's.

I mean, the fact that this is happening so often with the work of different teams of varying technical ability and sophistication worldwide, points to this being a common issue with the system software stack.

Banned
Users are reporting that the Steam version has more issues than the MS Store version.
The MS Store can run at 120 fps and nas better frame pacing.

so I'm playing the Windows store demo, and so far only 1 small stutter.
the framerate is super unstable for me no matter what i do tho. I can't lock to 120fps even at 50% render scale. the framerate seems to stay almost the same wether it be 720p render resolution or 1440p.

I think what people are reporting about in terms of stuttery gameplay might be the camera system.
Ni-Oh already had this issue when playing at 30fps.
if you play Ni-Oh with the 30fps lock, the camera movement will move unevenly and will make the game look like it's constantly stuttering, and to me it looks like the same is true here.

the Vsync also seems to not work correctly, I try to lock it to 60fps when my PC runs it at around 90fps, but it doesn't stay at 60, it constantly goes below to like 59 or even 56 fps at times.

the whole game never feels smooth as a result on PC currently from what I can tell.

no shader stutters on my end tho, or maybe only to such a tiny degree that they get lost in the camera stutter I'm talking about

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

There's definitely some stuttering going on, but it is nowhere close to what I would call "freaking mess" and more just in line with the usual Team Ninja jank.

. . .I will say the amount of aliasing in this is off the fucking charts; which isn't shocking given this is also a "problem" in other TN games.

Hot5pur

Ended up forcing myself to finish the demo. I think NiOh2 was better, at least it tried at giving things context.
This is just the most random shit, and a lot of the cool systems like Ki were removed. The parry system is neat though.
I dunno, I really want to try and like this otherwise I'm waiting to play SF6 and D4 in June with nothing of interest from now until then.

Madflavor

Ended up forcing myself to finish the demo. I think NiOh2 was better, at least it tried at giving things context.
This is just the most random shit, and a lot of the cool systems like Ki were removed. The parry system is neat though.
I dunno, I really want to try and like this otherwise I'm waiting to play SF6 and D4 in June with nothing of interest from now until then.

Could you elaborate? I'm curious as to what you mean by giving things context, cause I'm wondering if we're thinking the same thing.

Banned

that's something I also found jarring a bit.
Ni-Oh felt consistent, it felt like the combat had an inner logic.

Wo Long feels more like they just had ideas and threw them in there, and it's kinda overwhelming with all the systems and corresponding UI elements.

numbers and bars everywhere.

it's not bad but I'm far from liking it as much as I did Ni-Oh

Sygma

that's something I also found jarring a bit.
Ni-Oh felt consistent, it felt like the combat had an inner logic.

Wo Long feels more like they just had ideas and threw them in there, and it's kinda overwhelming with all the systems and corresponding UI elements.

numbers and bars everywhere.

it's not bad but I'm far from liking it as much as I did Ni-Oh

What ? there's not even a quarter of the options available in Ni-oh here, and the combat also is much simpler by having 2 buttons for attacks, no stances, no ki system. You fill up your spirit gauge by using light attacks, and depending of how much its filled you'll deal more or less added damage with your heavy, or you can use magic attacks

Then you get a parry system which looks like Sekiro's on surface, but its actually pretty different because if you manage to parry critical strikes from bosses you'll just destroy them in 2 seconds since it lowers their overall "defense bar" pretty hardcore. Same with regular mobs, it enables you to one shot them (I mean at least early in the game)

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I have just completed Razor's Edge another time while this is downloading. Koei Tecmo are by far the best Japanese publisher in my opinion. Their games have remained for the most extremely fun throughout the years. My Wii U got a ton of play time mainly for Razor's Edge, Hyrule Warriors and Project Zero. And I have a lot of KT games on Xbox. Dead or Alive 5 and 6 have hundreds of hours of play.

Looking forward to testing Wo Long again, and see if it clicks a bit better than first time.

And they are also releasing Project Zero Mask of the Lunar Eclipse... Going to be awesome I hope !

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Downloading, didn't even know there was a second demo. Jesus with Atomic Heart , HogWarts, Wild Hearts (once I get that sale) now this.. going to be pretty pretty busy.. good thing rupturing bicep tendon doesn't prevent me from playing a game.

Last edited:

Banned
What ? there's not even a quarter of the options available in Ni-oh here, and the combat also is much simpler by having 2 buttons for attacks, no stances, no ki system. You fill up your spirit gauge by using light attacks, and depending of how much its filled you'll deal more or less added damage with your heavy, or you can use magic attacks

Then you get a parry system which looks like Sekiro's on surface, but its actually pretty different because if you manage to parry critical strikes from bosses you'll just destroy them in 2 seconds since it lowers their overall "defense bar" pretty hardcore. Same with regular mobs, it enables you to one shot them (I mean at least early in the game)

in Ni-On all of it is intuitive tho. imo in Wo Long all the systems feel just like that, systems in a game.

that's what I found jarring.
more complex systems can absolutely be more intuitive than simpler ones, and IMO this is the case here with Ni-Oh compared to Wo Long.

having stances is an intuitive thing when using a sword, stamina meters are intuitive and instantly understood, you wouldn't even need a tutorial for them at all in Ni-Oh.

that's what I'm talking about, I'm not talking about how simple something is.

I didn't really read any of the tutorial boxes in Ni-Oh when I first played that alpha demo they released, and still basically undertood everything.
I think I would have had a way harder time doing that in Wo Long even if it's more simple as a whole.

enemies with numbers on them that change during battle for example, that's not intuitive at all, same with a horizontal bar that goes left or right depending on what move you do.

those are things that need to be explained to you with text to make sense unless you want to experiment for half an hour and figure it out that way.

Ni-Oh felt more elegant due to what I described here.

that doesn't mean it's a totally bad thing to have less intuitive systems like the ones in Wo Long, but it is something that will take time to feel natural and intuitive

Last edited:

Sygma

in Ni-On all of it is intuitive tho. imo in Wo Long all the systems feel just like that, systems in a game.

more complex systems can absolutely be more intuitive than simpler ones, and IMO this is the case here with Ni-Oh compared to Wo Long.

having stances is an intuitive thing when using a sword, stamina meters are intuitive and instantly understood, you wouldn't even need a tutorial for them at all in Ni-Oh.

I didn't really read and of the tutorial boxes in Ni-Oh when I first played that alpha demo they released and still basically undertood everything.
I think I would have had a way harder time doing that in Wo Long even if it's more simple as a whole.

enemies with numbers on them that change during battle for example, that's not intuitive at all, same with a horizontal bar that goes left or right depending on what move you do.

those are things that need to be explained to you with text to make sense unless you want to experiment for half an hour and figure it out that way.

that doesn't mean it's a totally bad thing to have less intuitive systems like the ones in Wo Long, but it is something that will take time to feel natural and intuitive

ooooh alright ok yeah that makes sense.

To me the morale system by putting a flag up / defeating enemies is akin to progressing through lines and conquering their turf one place at a time, so I guess that kind of concept makes sense. The more you conquer land, the stronger your resolve / presence and the more intimidated / less "fearsome" your opponent is as a result, but yeah i dont think that intuitively it checks out for many lol.

Outside of that as far as system goes regarding the bars I had no trouble figuring that one out, and enemies lowering in strength (the number on them) when they lose hp made sense too, its just their strength remaining as a fighter but I can see that this system execution is unnecessary since, well, they lose hp to begin with.

If its to hint that enemies having lower morale than the player actually take more damage, then why not ? but I don't know if that's the case. Yet again, if its HP based to begin with, it also is unecessary

Honestly, only the spirit attack at the first boss (use the power within the jade ? why not putting up "push these buttons", then you get a cutscene or script, then your companion explains in a cutscene what you actually did, much more of a woah moment and less of having to stop focusing on the fight with a bad hint like that) and the pop ups not going away unless you push a button were something out of place for me, outside of the difficulty being easy overall

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

I didn't really read any of the tutorial boxes in Ni-Oh when I first played that alpha demo they released, and still basically undertood everything.

I'm with you. Something just hasn't clicked for me yet on Wo Long.

I'm happy some people are getting right away. Maybe they can give us some tips. I'm not giving up but it feels a lot less intuitive so far.

Nankatsu

Played the demo a bit and can I be honest?

My dear and beloved Sekiro, your place in my heart remains untouched.

Kacho

Gold Member
Yo what is this game and where did it come from?

A character action game about the three kingdoms? Hell yes.

Wow, the PC demo really is a piece of shit. I'm surprised it doesn't have DLSS implemented and that it has the console prioritse FPS/resolution setting. Maybe it's just unfinished and they also forgot the shader precomp or something (lol who am I kidding)

Also this game begs the age old question... English or Japanese voices?

Top Bottom