• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty Demo #2 Now Live (Progress Carries to Release)

Banned
Just tried this on Xbox One X.

Uh, this is a 360 game running through backwards compatibility, right?
Incredibly unimpressive visual presentation. I would have expected 60fps with these graphics.

I'll always pick gameplay over graphics, but I don't mind calling out an underwhelming effort.
Team Ninja, do better.

it doesn't have a 60fps mode on last gen? Ni-Oh 1 and 2 had 2 modes.

Dynasty8

I've done no death speedruns of Sekiro in a couple hours...but for the fucking life of me I can't get the deflect shit down in this game. How small is the frame to deflect attacks?

The first boss is a pain... I've never had this much trouble on a first boss fight.

As someone who absolutely LOVES Stranger of Paradise I was going to be surprised if I didn’t end up loving this.

Initially, I was very overwhelmed and confused, but as I was alternating between trying to beat the first boss and grind, I began learning all the mechanics. Btw, first boss was SO daunting that it was actually funny.

Game is super fun. However, I have some gripes:

1. The Fortitude system: not a fan.
2. On a Base PS4 I actually think this game is generally uglier than Stranger of Paradise.
3. The music tracks during exploration are incredibly lazy.
4. Some of the menus are very obtuse.
5. I don’t like how it seems almost like a Dynasty Warriors crossover tbh
6. The art style is extremelyyyyyyyyy bland… KT really needs to hire some new artists.

I’m fairly certain I’ll buy it, but idk if I’ll buy it at full price. I really hope the story ends up being at least interesting

simpatico

Steam version was crashing for me before I even got to the first splash screen. Uninstalled and grabbed it from the MS store. Anyone else have this problem?

Juza

My experience :

Imagine playing a game that has dodge-based combat system and you have this horrible frame time.

Steam version was crashing for me before I even got to the first splash screen. Uninstalled and grabbed it from the MS store. Anyone else have this problem?
Good for you, I read that MS store version runs better than Steam version! Idk why, but could be a different build

Last edited:
it doesn't have a 60fps mode on last gen? Ni-Oh 1 and 2 had 2 modes.

Sure did. Nioh 1 was 1080p/60 and 4k/30 on ps4 pro. Nioh 2 was the same I believe. There was also an unlocked 4k ish mode on both games but neither were close to a locked 60.

Correct me if I'm wrong. For this not to have multiple modes on xb1x/ps4 pro is shameful.

Zephir

Played it and grinded for a bit, pretty cool game.
As usual, the randos I go help online are glorious idiots that don't bother to check for secrets, ambushes or flags to raise level

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've done no death speedruns of Sekiro in a couple hours...but for the fucking life of me I can't get the deflect shit down in this game. How small is the frame to deflect attacks?

The first boss is a pain... I've never had this much trouble on a first boss fight.
For fast weapons like a sword you can do an attack, attack, and then spirit attack on that first phase and it’ll basically interrupt anything he’s doing until he gets enough room to go into a special attack or you don’t stay on top off of him long enough. Second phase you can end quickly with summoning the spirit, which I never did. I fought him head on with parry. I’ve read where the spirit is available during that phase, but I didn’t think to use it.

Oh you’re probably talking about the first boss.. you can basically bait him to parry but yeah you almost have to get that parry down.

Last edited:

decisions

I think the gameplay here is amazing. Less mechanics than Ni-Oh but everything is more fleshed out and polished, it simply feels so fast and fluid to play, probably the best feeling gameplay of any Soulslike game or at least on par with Sekiro.

However it's a shame about the PC version. Sure it does look better than the console version but for me the frame-pacing and stuttering completely ruined the experience. I died like 10 times on the first boss. Then I tried on PS5 and it's locked to 60 100% of the the time, literally killed every boss on my first try lol it was a massive difference.

Needlecrash

Game is a mess on Steam. Lots of stutters, drops and can't maintain a steady frame rate, let alone go above 60 FPS. Considering how good the Nioh 1 and 2 ports are, I was surprised this didn't run very well. FYI I have a RTX 3080.

TLZ

Banned
Lisa Simpson Episode 6 GIF by The Simpsons

Reactions: Isa
I just played the Xbox and ps5 demos to compare and it seems to look better on xbox. I'm thinking its gotta be a slightly higher resolution or something. Def noticeable difference.

MiguelItUp

Wanted to give this a shot, but even the Microsoft store build is a bit stutter-y. Felt really weird. It got so distracting I just gave up and uninstalled. I really wish devs could get passed shit like this, especially in 2023, lol.

draliko

Damn the first boss really gave me a hard time, game is inherently fun, but the graphics are really bland and *confusing*, I hope later stages are better, the iq doesn't seem good, half of the time idk what's going on on the screen, but luckily the gameplay seem solid

VN1X

Banned
Yeah also experienced a crash and a lot of stuttering before hand.

Otherwise the 60fps cap and the unimpressive visuals left me cold to be honest. Usually I don't really care about raw fidelity but in Wo Long I would've expected more from Team Ninja. Some of their natural environments still look like ass.

Last edited:

Banned
Yeah also experienced a crash and a lot of stuttering before hand.

Otherwise the 60fps cap and the unimpressive visuals left me cold to be honest. Usually I don't really care about raw fidelity but in Wo Long I would've expected more from Team Ninja. Some of their natural environments still look like ass.

the windows store version has 120fps support

Hot5pur

I think this game will under deliver.
Also the gameplay may get stale quickly, the weapons are quite similar and there is not much move customization, at least from what I saw.
Also adding jump to the game feels completely pointless from all I've played. Should have utilized it more in combat or made traversal more interesting. Seems they tried to copy Sekiro and missed the important bits. But then again, I found Sekiro completely tedious and frustrating (despite loving this type of game).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just tried this on Xbox One X.

Uh, this is a 360 game running through backwards compatibility, right?
Incredibly unimpressive visual presentation. I would have expected 60fps with these graphics.

I'll always pick gameplay over graphics, but I don't mind calling out an underwhelming effort.
Team Ninja, do better.

LOL who's optimizing a game for One X in 2023?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Beat the demo earlier. I noticed it said a "PORTION" of your saved data will carry over to the full game.
I thought about that too. Maybe it’s to prevent you from bringing a couple levels worth of spirit over to the retail version or a huge inventory of items to sell.

I’m a level 20 now with probably enough to level to 21 or 22, but it says 20 is the max level for the demo.

Last edited:

FBeeEye

Banned
I'm getting Soulslike from this demo. Someone please talk me off a ledge because I'm about to uninstall it. I can't deal with Japanese games that are difficult for the sake of being difficult. The mechanics seem like garbage so far. I'll give it a few more hours before I decide. It's on GamePass, but I appreciate the demo. It may save me some bandwidth.

Schmendrick

Beat the demo.
Imho way easier than NiOh so far. Unfortunately it's also seriously ugly. This absolutely does not look like a full price title of this kind should look in 2023 and it's still not perfectly smooth despite looking like ass....
Despite being a giant NiOh fan I'll put this off until it's in the 30 bucks or so range.

Last edited:

Labolas

Yeah, I went back and finished the demo. While the game is totally fucked on PC, I still fun playing it. I'm a sucker for Three Kingdoms stuff so I didn't mind the samey environment, it's to be expected. Deflect attacks feels satisfying and you feel awesome doing it. But I have to say that parrying is the main objective of downing an enemy and getting cinematic spirit attack on an enemy, mini boss, or the boss. There are other stuff you can do let summoning a beast, or use ranged attacks, or use elemental attacks. The game feels hard but doesn't feel unfair. I definitely had fun playing this.

Madflavor

Damn. I really like Nioh 1&2, so this game was on my radar, but after playing the demo it's just not clicking with me. I don't know how to described the combat, except maybe that it feels to floaty for my taste. The visuals and level design aren't great for a 2023 game, I dunno. Think I'll skip this one sad to say.

Hot5pur

I'm getting Soulslike from this demo. Someone please talk me off a ledge because I'm about to uninstall it. I can't deal with Japanese games that are difficult for the sake of being difficult. The mechanics seem like garbage so far. I'll give it a few more hours before I decide. It's on GamePass, but I appreciate the demo. It may save me some bandwidth.
It's more of a sekiro-like, which is an action focused souls game, with a lot of the micro-stat management and swath of items taken out. The focus is more about the action than it is about min/maxing and builds. This game still has some of the later but toned down for sure.
These kind of games are definitely not for everyone, the interesting bits are mostly the bosses.

I actually got the Microsoft store version and played through it again. I realize that I'm not going to have anything to play if I don't play this one...haha
The pros:
- the combat is fun, the parry works, it's all very satisfying
- upward mobility is nice, could have been done better, but I realized you can also jump off people, perhaps there will be some combat aspects to build off this later
- the bosses are well done, perhaps a bit too reliant on the special counter
The cons:
- Game looks OK, definitely on the lower end of graphical quality
- The PC performance has problems, definitely slows down in places even with things turned down. It should not run this poorly given how it looks
- The story is nonsensical, things feel random, I expected better after NiOh2, perhaps this is fixed later in the game
- The environments are generic as hell, there is no major set pieces, again perhaps this will change later in the game, but I strongly doubt it given how NiOh2 had the most generic levels as well
- regular enemy combat is somewhat meh, the whole number system I couldn't care for, I don't actually feel it matters that much, also they tried too hard to copy Sekiro with the poise

I think I'll grab it on gamepass and finish it in a month. Worth it for the bosses and perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised as more abilities get unlocked.
Anyone know when the embargo is up?

zokie

for me , the first boss with 2 forms quite challenging and it took 4 hours and managed to defeat him ( certain things are limited )
after i defeat the first boss , the rest of the demo is quite okay for me

there are certain individuals ( not in this forum ) that 'judge' this game based on the demo
i got nothing to say as its their lost not to buy/purchase/play as the female characters are well designed in this game

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Played a bit of the demo and I've finished the previous beta. While I love Nioh/Nioh 2, I'm just having a really hard time getting into this. I'm not even sure why.

april6e

Anyone claiming this game is easier than Nioh are insane. The first boss is way harder than any of the early fights in Nioh 1. The first boss has two stages and you only have 3 healing items thru it all.

The combat, while a bit too basic, is overall enjoyable so I'm sure Soulslike enthusiasts will enjoy this. I personally didn't really enjoy it. The story and characters are paper thin (it's difficult to not compare this game to Sekiro when the plot is the same overall theme). The game looks like a last gen game and while graphics aren't that important, the fact that the game runs like garbage on a 3090 is. I'm glad they provided a demo so I could find out that the game wasn't for me.

Game just feels inferior to Ninja Gaiden, Sekiro, any Souls game or Nioh while not innovating enough to separate itself from those games.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel like even though there’s a second demo that coverage for this game is a quarter or a sliver of what mainline titles get (From Software games for sure) or the NiOh series. Maybe it’s hard for western culture to appreciate something like the Three Kingdoms? NiOh dealt with Japanese folklore. I’m not sure how to interpret this era. I am also not a expert on the Three Kingdoms. I can assume this deals with a particular dynasty set in a fantasy world with monsters.

I get this feeling like the story is already over my head and I won’t understand anything about who these characters are representing.

Last edited:

Elios83

Played the demo on PS5 and liked it.
The combat system is really fun. It's heavily based on deflecting, if you don't learn the timings to deflect both standard attacks and critical hits you're not going anywhere with the bosses. Once you do it actually becomes kinda predictable.
It's also good that compared to the original demo they listened to feedback and healing is now much faster.
Graphically it's a bit disappointing but it depends on the particular location.
Since I've built quite a backlog during the recent months (Yakuza Ishin, Octopath Travelers 2, Tactics Ogre) I'm not buying it day one but I could get it later.

Last edited:
for me , the first boss with 2 forms quite challenging and it took 4 hours and managed to defeat him ( certain things are limited )
after i defeat the first boss , the rest of the demo is quite okay for me

there are certain individuals ( not in this forum ) that 'judge' this game based on the demo
i got nothing to say as its their lost not to buy/purchase/play as the female characters are well designed in this game
Yeah the women are hot as fuck for sure but I’m not playing a game just for that lol.

Schmendrick

Anyone claiming this game is easier than Nioh are insane.
dude, you can deflect everything besides those red heavily telegraphed attacks and you can keep blocking while doing so as a fallback and on top of that you can even overlevel yourself in no time...
This is child`s play ( at least as far as the demo goes)

Last edited:

ungalo

I'm playing this exactly like Sekiro. Very simple and straightforward. First boss was tough but i could've done better, the second one very easy.

It's pretty fun but i hope the level design and art won't be as redundant as it seems to be in this demo.

Top Bottom