• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

This

ZLXgcDn.jpg

YukiOnna

Bit more details from Gematsu:
  • Demons in the Kingdom – A dark fantasy set during the chaotic Three Kingdoms period, the narrative vividly tells the tale of a militia soldier’s strenuous fight for survival during a Later Han Dynasty infested with demons. It’s madness in the Three Kingdoms like never before!
  • Awaken the Power – Defeat deadly enemies to boost morale and awaken the power from within! Overcome adversity through unique new strategies, including battle styles based on the “Five Phases.”
  • Live by the Sword – Renowned for ruthless strikes that can change the tide of battle in an instant, sword practitioners of the Chinese martial arts gracefully change pace as they shift between offensive and defensive maneuvers. Overwhelm opponents with a flurry of force in a series of intense and bloody battles while learning the precision and skill necessary to become a true master of the sword.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It says that the dev has announced it for Xbox PS etc.
Where is that announcement? The only announcement of the game was at this event, and it didn't mention PS at all.
I would think over the next couple of days all the media heads will hit up the developer to clarify its status.
It's either full exclusive or multiplat.

If a platform-holder is stumping up the cash for a platform exclusive, they will want to stress that fact in their messaging. The bragging rights are a big part of what they paid for after all!

My assumption, irrespective of whom is making the announcement, is to pay close attention to the precise wording used, because if there's any sort of exclusivity deal involved it will get mentioned, because the name of the game is maximizing value.

Bit more details from Gematsu:
  • Demons in the Kingdom – A dark fantasy set during the chaotic Three Kingdoms period, the narrative vividly tells the tale of a militia soldier’s strenuous fight for survival during a Later Han Dynasty infested with demons. It’s madness in the Three Kingdoms like never before!
  • Awaken the Power – Defeat deadly enemies to boost morale and awaken the power from within! Overcome adversity through unique new strategies, including battle styles based on the “Five Phases.”
  • Live by the Sword – Renowned for ruthless strikes that can change the tide of battle in an instant, sword practitioners of the Chinese martial arts gracefully change pace as they shift between offensive and defensive maneuvers. Overwhelm opponents with a flurry of force in a series of intense and bloody battles while learning the precision and skill necessary to become a true master of the sword.
https://imperialcombatarts.com/5-elements-martial-arts--wu-xing--wu-hsing.html

5 phases. This game is going to be a dream for any kung fu fans. Im imagining Nioh with 5 stances instead of 3. More actobatic movement. Multiple weapons.

Man I can't wait.

If a platform-holder is stumping up the cash for a platform exclusive, they will want to stress that fact in their messaging. The bragging rights are a big part of what they paid for after all!

My assumption, irrespective of whom is making the announcement, is to pay close attention to the precise wording used, because if there's any sort of exclusivity deal involved it will get mentioned, because the name of the game is maximizing value.
Like I posted before, none of the first party games from MS other than Starfield were promoted as Xbox exclusives. That doesn't mean they are on PS.

I played nioh 2 before elden although I think elden ring is the overall better game the core controls and combat are so much better in nioh 2.

It amazing how much more options you have in nioh 2 and it controls so much more fluidly than elden ring.

If they can create more interesting level design and exploration they will have an all time classic.

FunkMiller

Is there a release window for Wukong? Can see these two cannibalising sales off one another.

Looks decent though. I’ll give any Soulslike a chance, if it comes with a good enough pedigree.

Is there a release window for Wukong? Can see these two cannibalising sales off one another.

Looks decent though. I’ll give any Soulslike a chance, if it comes with a good enough pedigree.
Black Myth: Wukong was mentioned to release in 2023 at the earliest.
Game Science also said that they won't release the game until it's ready, meaning it could release in 2024 as well.
Either way, I think these two titles are extremely different.
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty focuses primarily on combat.
While Black Myth: Wukong seems to focus more on graphics, lore, storytelling, and combat.
Both games take place in very different era's as well as very different settings.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
As a huge fan digging three kingdom history and Nioh games, this is like a dream.

I hope they have enough time and fund to polish the game up to nioh's standard. Stranger of paradise was fun as hell, but was way too rough.

Elios83

So this is basically Nioh in China? Should be a bit more fast paced and action oriented based on the interviews.
I love the Nioh series so I'm definetly looking forward to this as well.

YukiOnna

Summary of IGN Interview:
- Development started in 2019
- Wo Long is only covering the beginning of the Three Kingdoms period, specifically the Yellow Turban Rebellion and the end of the Han Dynasty
- The Player is one of the iconic heroes
- Will be similar to the Nioh series with RPG elements like player builds, leveling are all present
- Nioh 2 Character creation is back
- Will have Nioh's co-op and another form of multiplayer
- Combat is faster than Nioh with jumping and being able to launch over enemies, but not to the level of Ninja Gaiden
- Able to seamlessly switch between offense and defense during attacks
- Players and Enemies have a morale system, which will affect death like Sekiro
- Players gain something from killing a strong enemy and enemies gain something from killing the player which affects the balance
- Scale is more massive compared to their Japan based titles
- Remains level based structure like Nioh, but the level themselves are much larger with more verticality and exploration
- Different weapon types based on the warlords are in but no constant upgrading weapons
- Each enemy won't drop items

kiphalfton

Yasuda is the head of Team Ninja and Yamigiwa got laid off by Sony when they restructured Japan studio a little over a year ago.
The timeline kinda says it all, seems like a bit of opportunistic brand-name checking.

Musou games as in dynasty warrior-esque games. Screw that, those games suck.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So this is basically Nioh in China? Should be a bit more fast paced and action oriented based on the interviews.
I love the Nioh series so I'm definetly looking forward to this as well.

Sounds like it is to Nioh what Sekiro was to Souls.
Bit worried by the emphasis on being faster than Nioh, which already was considerably faster paced than Souls ever was.

Banned
- Wo Long is only covering the beginning of the Three Kingdoms period, specifically the Yellow Turban Rebellion and the end of the Han Dynasty
- Will be similar to the Nioh series with RPG elements like player builds, leveling are all present
- Combat is faster than Nioh with jumping and being able to launch over enemies, but not to the level of Ninja Gaiden
- Players gain something from killing a strong enemy and enemies gain something from killing the player which affects the balance
- Remains level based structure like Nioh, but the level themselves are much larger with more verticality and exploration
- Different weapon types based on the warlords are in but no constant upgrading weapons

that sounds real damn good...

DavJay

Team Ninja is still one of the few talented studios that still have acceptable developmental cycle. This is a winner. 7/10 minimum

YukiOnna

Really excited to see how they scaled it up from the Nioh series:
“Making it a challenging game was something we had decided from the beginning. With all the legendary heroes of the Three Kingdoms period, it can come across as somewhat campy, but in reality it was a time of war and devastation. It was a dark period in which people were constantly fighting, which is a great match for a Soulslike game. Being set in China, Wo Long is more massive in scale compared to our previous games set in Japan, which allowed us to show a more severe and dark world. The same can be said for the difficulty. There’s no doubt this will be an extremely challenging and demanding game, but we’ve come up with new ways to approach that difficulty. In that regard, players can look forward to a type of satisfaction that wasn’t present in earlier Team NINJA titles,” said Yasuda.

The timing of the development and this statement does make it sound like a Nioh 3 is/was in the cards as well:
“At the time, we were looking for a setting that could work for a Nioh sequel. We had already made plenty of games based on Japan’s Sengoku period, so we wanted a new setting. That’s when we came up with the idea to make a game set in China’s Three Kingdoms period. The years following the fall of the Han dynasty is a setting that Koei Tecmo specializes in, and also one I have personally always been intrigued by. I am a fan of manga and anime based on that era. A game with this setting sounded like an interesting new challenge to take on,” Yasuda said, recalling the project’s initial start.

Hoppa

Im a Dynasty Warriors nerd, is the main character here Zhao Yun? I recognise Zhang Fei (edit actually no that’s yellow turbans) and Lu Bu at the end too. Game looks great but I’ll have to pass. I barely made it out of the first area in Nioh 2

Last edited:

Fbh

I'd much rather it be a character action game like Ninja Gaiden or DMC. I'm all Nioh'd out and there aren't enough character action games these days, if which Team Ninja is one of the best.

I'd be fine with either one to be honest.

If they go the Nioh route I'd also be fine if they streamline it a bit. The only part I don't like about Nioh is the loot

Kssio_Aug

Do Want I Need It GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

This games sounds great! I have always had a soft spot for the Three Kingdoms lore, ever since playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms III way back on Sega Genesis. Even read the four books in the Chinese Three Kingdoms series. Throw Ninja on top of that and I'm guessing great action and a good to great story.....

Happy Pumped Up GIF by AT&T

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Easily my most anticipated game among the collective June reveals. Also has a decent near release date of early 2023.

tusharngf

Can only guess from the description:
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty follows the dramatic, action-packed story of a nameless militia soldier fighting for survival in a dark fantasy version of the Later Han Dynasty where demons plague the Three Kingdoms. Players fight off deadly creatures and enemy soldiers using swordplay based on the Chinese martial arts, attempting to overcome the odds by awakening the true power from within.

Players fight off deadly creatures and enemy soldiers using swordplay based on the Chinese martial arts, attempting to overcome the odds by awakening the true power from within.
same story as NIOH only location changed.

melekind

Neophyte
So...
The Japanese use "Wo Long"(which is the Chinese pronunciation) as a title while Chinese use "Genshin"(which is the Japanese pronunciation) to name a game...
Is that a JOKE?
It makes no sense.
_____

BTW, TN can never fail you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom