• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama Woke Oscars: Hit All Time Low

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Doesn't MTV still do movie awards? Oscars always seemed like high brow circle jerking to me and in retrospect has only ever been relevant to me because it was in the news cycle and therefore people talk about it - I have not ever once personally cared what an elite enjoys. There has always been room for a prole's choice award show.
Ya but in the past there were still movies that were hits. Like Forrest Gump was a mega box office hit and won awards.

I think its just that hit movies now a days usually have to fall into that super hero genre. Back in the day a movie like pulp fiction could make big money, or Forrest gump. You still could be a big hit and not be about superhero's or CGI fests.

Its always been a circle jerk, but I found back in the day there was at least films that entered the cultural zeitgest so there would be excitment. Add in the death of the "movie star" too. Movies aren't about the "star" anymore. Back in the day you had a guy like Tom Hanks who people saw as a STAR and he could draw at theaters and at the oscars. Now a days STARS aren't really draws in movies except for a rare 1 or 2.

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
Ya but in the past there were still movies that were hits. Like Forrest Gump was a mega box office hit and won awards.
In a just world, Dumb and Dumber would have won that year at the Prole's Choice Awards. I've seen Gump maybe twice, and D&D probably a hundred times. Best picture my ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Zangiefy360

Cross Forum Drama ..........Queen
Aug 30, 2018
The second the Academy allowed identity politics to infest the process was the beginning of the end. People are only going to tune in when they feel it is an honest competition where there's a winner and a loser based on merit, not the BS the Academy is forcing down everyone's throats where it's not just about the quality of the movie, but instead it's about the movie meeting a lower quality of standards and then taking into account all kinds of trivial factors about the people behind it to determine whether it's a winner or a loser.

I don't think there's a way for the Academy to get out of this, every year will have lower ratings than the last. They'll just double down on the identity politics, the actors will egg it on, and the losers on Twitter will still find stuff to bitch about.

The only acceptable response to this by the Academy should be: "If (race/gender/sexual orientation) made better movies they'd be nominated. We're not going to lower the bar so either catch up or stop bitching."

Oct 26, 2018
To be fair for just about all TV, isnt streaming killing TV rating? Of course ratings will drop. The viewers might still be there, but just on their laptop or tablet.

Reactions: cryptoadam

trikster40

Dec 12, 2008
How about you let the public vote and invest in the process? Oh wathese awards are not about what the public wants.

I did watch them this year. DVR, fast forward though speeches and dumb awards.

they need to cut it to two hours, focus on the big awards, and do all the rest prior to the broadcast.

I did like what Phoenix said about cancel culture.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
How about you let the public vote and invest in the process? Oh wathese awards are not about what the public wants.
Can't do that.

If the guild let's people choose Star Wars or Marvel Hero Movie 14 be best movie, it'll make the entire industry look like ass as it's 80% CGI, shitty dialogue and cheeseball costumes.

In their hearts, they know people watch animated movies and blockbuster sci-fi and comic books the most which basically means they are the best movies in directional way (or else everyone would sick of them and not bother).

But to save face, they'd rather put a 1979 episode of Nova about bumblebees over a movie people love and got $500 million sales.

residentgrigo

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Germany
I freshly turned into a member so I can post in the politiXs section. But I won´t as both Era and Gaf are the worst places on earth to do this. Member when this site drove the Hillary campaign? Yeah... lol. How the tables have turned. I only want to get my one post in the legendary shit-show of a sub-forum. Don´t mind me.

I actually know the Oscars and how they work/vote due to being a hardcore Cinephile and they aren´t and have never been "woke". Yet I am willing to commend them on the reform after #OscarsSoWhite and most importantly male and old. How bad things were only half a decade ago: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/oscar-voters-94-white-76-men-and-an-average-of-63-years-old/284163/

PS: Fuck Fox.

Edit: The Joker speech was good btw:

More of this.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Oner and matt404au

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
I freshly turned into a member so I can post in the politiXs section. But I won´t as both Era and Gaf are the worst places on earth to do this. Member when this site drove the Hillary campaign? Yeah... lol. How the tables have turned. I only want to get my one post in the legendary shit-show of a sub-forum. Don´t mind me.

I actually know the Oscars and how they work/vote due to being a hardcore Cinephile and they aren´t and have never been "woke". Yet I am willing to commend them on the reform after #OscarsSoWhite and most importantly male and old. How bad things were only half a decade ago: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/oscar-voters-94-white-76-men-and-an-average-of-63-years-old/284163/

PS: Fuck Fox.

Edit: The Joker speech was good btw:

More of this.
Imagine spending hours on a forum, building up a post count only to cry about a sub forum that you can easily ignore. Must have a lot of free time living in your mother's basement, huh?

Weiji

Jul 20, 2018

I’m just not sure how much it’s going to take for people to realize that Twitter doesn’t control people’s real lives. Did this show feel glamorous or luxurious at all?

It felt cheap and I fucking hate when people making millions get up and lecture anyone...shut the fuck up.
What really grinds my gears is that you have this group of people who are successful based partially on their looks and partially based on networking / nepotism. And they’re telling me they are the authority.

Oh and by the way I should ignore the opinions of the wealthy and successful capitalists who got rich by being smart and solving actual problems in the real world.

But hey don’t trust those OTHER rich people successful businessmen are sociopaths.... not like us the ones who make our living faking emotions. YOU CAN TRUST US.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: slugbahr

oatmeal

Jun 17, 2007
As bad as forced politics are, shit likes this is why people don't watch the Oscars. I'd rather pass a dozen kidney stones than this shit again.

IMO that was the best part. But I like those two a whole bunch.

Because I’m not a misogynist. It’s 2020, women can be funny. Get over it.

Grinchy

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
a cave outside of Whoville.
I like Kristen Wiig, but I never could figure out why everyone wants to force Maya Rudolph on me. She's in practically nothing good but is paraded around as though she were comedy royalty.

trikster40

Dec 12, 2008

I liked ittoo, had my wife and I rolling. That and the Martin/Rock set (although their racism jokes were cringe)

X-Fighter

Jan 10, 2020
I like Kristen Wiig, but I never could figure out why everyone wants to force Maya Rudolph on me. She's in practically nothing good but is paraded around as though she were comedy royalty.
I liked her in "The Good Place", she has a very expressive face in comedy.

mcjmetroid

Feb 11, 2019
Limerick, Ireland
I just looked at the winners online like everyone else.
I would rather watch greta's BBC documentary than this (I finally thought of something I'd rather watch less than Greta's documentary)

• Thoughtful
Reactions: matt404au

Nymphae

Jun 3, 2013
Canada
It’s 2020, women can be funny. Get over it.
Oh shit it's current year? I didn't realize. Of course women can be funny, the observation is more about the raw numbers, and it's not just the fact that comedy has historically been a boys club that keeps their numbers lower.

• Thoughtful

oatmeal

Jun 17, 2007
Jan 9, 2018
The only bright spot was David Lynch, who accepted a major lifetime award by barely saying anything, and signing off with a classic line from the very not-PC Kubrick film Lolita:

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun

Fox Mulder

Jul 1, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I’m guessing Oscar winners is a google trend the next day though.

Takes a minute to glance results instead of enduring a multi hour show. Why watch this boring shit full of people thinking they’re royalty or sources of politician wisdom?

• Thoughtful

M1chl

Gold Member
Dec 25, 2019
Czech Republic

Can you share those funny female comedians, because I am watching Iliza Shlesinger and that's pretty much it. I knew another one, but my memory loss, kind of stole it from me, since I don't remember the name.

oatmeal

Jun 17, 2007
Can you share those funny female comedians, because I am watching Iliza Shlesinger and that's pretty much it. I knew another one, but my memory loss, kind of stole it from me, since I don't remember the name.
All of them.

#BelieveWomenAreFunny

• LOL
Reactions: DeepEnigma