Woke up this morning with over $100 charged to my Xbox live account, am I fucked?

#1
Sometime in the middle of the night my Xbox Live account was breached and over $100 was charged to my account. Xbox Live purchases are generally unrefundable, am I screwed here?
 
#7
WyndhamPrice said:
Sometime in the middle of the night my Xbox Live account was breached and over $100 was charged to my account. Xbox Live purchases are generally unrefundable, am I screwed here?
I don't see how you would be. It's fraud- If Microsoft won't do anything your CC company will.
 
#9
I got a accidental auto renew live subscription refunded and my sister got an accidental arcade game purchase refunded as well, call em up and x-plain the situation. 1 800 4MY XBOX is the number I believe.
 
#13
markot said:
>_<

So they bought games for your account?
It was 10000 microsoft points, and it doesn't look like any of them were used and it's not on my account anymore. When I checked my Windows ID information a different e-mail address had been added to the account. I've removed it and changed my passwords.

I'm going to have to wait a couple of hours to call Xbox Support since they're not 24 hours.
 
#14
WyndhamPrice said:
I'm going to have to wait a couple of hours to call Xbox Support since they're not 24 hours.
Oh, I thought 4MYXBOX was.. well as long as your bank knows they should prevent it from happening again. Good luck when you finally call, their support lines are the worst.
 
#16
magicaltrevor said:
Heh. =)

But seriously, that's fucked up man.
How could that happen?
No clue, best I can tell someone got into my WindowsID account and added an email address and proceeded to buy points, and play Fifa, which I don't own. My Xbox hasn't been online in 4 or 5 days since the last time I played Mortal Kombat.

The charges are pending which is good because when I call Microsoft I can tell them not to authorize them, and I've already called my bank so they'll be monitoring it if they go through.
 
#17
Call MS.

If they don't help you call again and ask to talk to a supervisor.

If they don't help call your bank and they can do stuff to fix it.
 
#18
WyndhamPrice said:
It was 10000 microsoft points, and it doesn't look like any of them were used and it's not on my account anymore. When I checked my Windows ID information a different e-mail address had been added to the account. I've removed it and changed my passwords.

I'm going to have to wait a couple of hours to call Xbox Support since they're not 24 hours.
All a bit strange since you can't transfer points or buy stuff for another account. Maybe nothing happened and it was just a bug on the Live side. Contact your cc company anyway and MS.
 
#19
WyndhamPrice said:
Sometime in the middle of the night my Xbox Live account was breached and over $100 was charged to my account. Xbox Live purchases are generally unrefundable, am I screwed here?

happened to me on Sunday night as well.

I called my bank and they are reversing the charges and getting me a new card.


Apparently the guy bought 6000 points.. then a 45 dollar Gold account or something.. then transferred the points onto another account.

Had all the emails showing the transactions.

Creepy.
 
#20
This happened to me with an inactive account, since I found it impossible to take my card details off my account. EDIT* to clear up, I think my details were cloned, and used on a separate account. I had no transaction on my inactive Xbox profile.


£192.50 was spent on "MICROSOFT *XBOX"

There were numerous transactions of £42.50, £14.99 and £19.99

Also, before these transactions, £42.50 was CREDITED to my account from Microsoft.

In the end, the bank refunded the full amount, and I also got some refunded by Microsoft. Win!
 
#22
This happened to me earlier this week. Someone charged 6000 points and an Xbox Live family account to my card. Spent a lovely hour and a half with customer service and ended up having to lock my account while Microsoft investigates the issue.

The awesome thing is I won't get a refund for the $180 or so they charged until the investigation is over. I even have the bastard's gamertag because he transferred 1200 points before the account was locked.
 
#24
If you used a credit card or debit card, it's very easy to file a fraud claim and get a provisional credit until the investigation's done and verified you didn't make the purchases.

No reason to go through microsoft on this as they will most times tell you to deal with the bank.
 
#25
now you know how those "10.000 MS points" accounts that pop on ebay comes from...

But how they "transfer" the points? Can you add a second e-mail to your Live ID???
 
#28
Looks like a few of you have fell for some kind of phishing scam that involves a website supposedly giving out free Microsoft points.

Happens all the time.
 
#29
Shogun PaiN said:
Looks like a few of you have fell for some kind of phishing scam that involves a website supposedly giving out free Microsoft points.

Happens all the time.
I can't honestly think of a time where I got free points that wasn't officially from a Microsoft thing. The only one I've done was from a contest actually in the 360 dash.
 
#32
MS Fraud dept is way better than their general line from my experience. They should be very helpful. Hope you get it resolved OP. Sounds like someone got into your Passport account more than hacking your Live account.
 
#33
Family plans let you transfer points to other family members, so maybe the phishers take the account, upgrade it to a family plan, add their gamer tag to the family, transfer the points then kick their GT back out of the family. But you would have to figure microsoft is just going to eventually lock the offending gamer tag so not sure what it buys them.

I had someone who created a xbox live account using my credit card and purchased some stuff with it and I called customer service and they immediatly locked that account. I guess they got to play whatever game they purchased for a few hours.

Edit - I just thought about it and even if Microsoft locks the gamertag, whatever games were purchased would still be playable on the console they downloaded them on with a different gamertag.
 
#35
Shogun PaiN said:
Looks like a few of you have fell for some kind of phishing scam that involves a website supposedly giving out free Microsoft points.

Happens all the time.
Fuck, I bet you're right. This sounds completely stupid and I can't believe I followed the link, but I clicked through an "official" link for reward points that was sent to my email. That has to be it.

I associated with something legitimately from Microsoft that I had signed up for. I never got the points, but I did get hacked. BRILLIANT.

Any if my fellow hacked people do something similar?

Seriously, someone smack me.
 
#36
larvi said:
Family plans let you transfer points to other family members, so maybe the phishers take the account, upgrade it to a family plan, add their gamer tag to the family, transfer the points then kick their GT back out of the family. But you would have to figure microsoft is just going to eventually lock the offending gamer tag so not sure what it buys them.

I had someone who created a xbox live account using my credit card and purchased some stuff with it and I called customer service and they immediatly locked that account. I guess they got to play whatever game they purchased for a few hours.
Yep

Thats what they did..

Upgraded it to a family plan then transferred.
 
#37
gogojira said:
Fuck, I bet you're right. This sounds completely stupid and I can't believe I followed the link, but I clicked through an "official" link for reward points that was sent to my email. That has to be it.

I associated with something legitimately from Microsoft. I never got the points, but I did get hacked. BRILLIANT.

Any if my fellow hacked people do something similar?

Seriously, someone smack me.
 
#39
gogojira said:
Fuck, I bet you're right. This sounds completely stupid and I can't believe I followed the link, but I clicked through an "official" link for reward points that was sent to my email. That has to be it.

I associated with something legitimately from Microsoft that I had signed up for. I never got the points, but I did get hacked. BRILLIANT.

Any if my fellow hacked people do something similar?

Seriously, someone smack me.
That's probably it. I never trust those emails.
 
#40
I legitimately do not know how someone got into my account, I haven't bought points in over a month and have made no effort to get free stuff off shady websites. My Xbox isn't even online unless I'm watching Netflix these days or trying to play Mortal Kombat online, usually without success.

I don't think I'm going to bother calling MS since my bank was more than happy to monitor it for me and that seems to be what MS will just tell me to do anyway. It should be fixed within a day or two.
 
#43
WyndhamPrice said:
I legitimately do not know how someone got into my account, I haven't bought points in over a month and have made no effort to get free stuff off shady websites. My Xbox isn't even online unless I'm watching Netflix these days or trying to play Mortal Kombat online, usually without success.

I don't think I'm going to bother calling MS since my bank was more than happy to monitor it for me and that seems to be what MS will just tell me to do anyway. It should be fixed within a day or two.
Why wouldn't you call Microsoft? They should be able to track where the points went, plus if you dispute the charges without letting Microsoft know they'll probably lock down your account and you'll end up having to call them anyways.

Plus I would call them and get your credit card removed from the account and only use store bought points to buy stuff in the future.
 
#47
Why make a thread?

What not call MS? Why not call your bank?


Seriously, fraud like this happens ALL THE TIME and these companies know how to deal with it. Call the professionals, not ask GAF to hold your hand. $100 is a $100, dammit.


I hope it all works out OK for you, OP
 
#49
I think the only instance in which you can gift points is if you have the family gold account package. It's so that you can gift points to the "children" as an adult member.