• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem |OT| Diablo Who

Escara

Neo Member
Man, the more I'm playing this the more shitty design decisions I'm seeing.

First thing I want to do is have the developer defend the attribute system. Let's start there.
What problem did you have with the attribute system?
If you don't want to get increased critical chance, attack speed or ailment chance you can just dump all your points into toughness.
You still get a decent damage boost because of it being your primary stat.
Honestly that's what most people should do till they get to the end game and want to start min maxing.

GHG

If you don't want to get increased critical chance, attack speed or ailment chance you can just dump all your points into toughness.
Honestly that's what most people should do till they get to the end game and want to start min maxing.

I've been pumping numbers into Agility personally and have been relying on weapons and Armour that are strong in health regen, and force shield bonuses to see me through.

I'm still in act one though so I have no idea how this plan will play out long term... But for now I'm wrecking shit.

Lanrutcon

It's confusing.

So I respecced out of toughness since the gear you get starts giving you chunky amounts of defensive stats. Way better than toughness provides. So that leaves Crit, Speed or Ailments.

Speed is awesome...but it doesn't work for dodging, skills or movement. It also directly interferes with any passive that works on charges and fucks with dodging. Unless you're very tanky, you can't stand there and swing a million times to try and kill with paper cuts. So Crit or Ailments.

Ailments...don't seem to work against bosses and champions. I don't think building for something that doesn't work/works at incredibly diminished capacity against the toughest targets is wise. So Crit.

Crit only works if you keep pumping crit. If you stop pumping crit while leveling, your crit chance goes down. It's like WoW: higher levels need more crit score per crit percentage. So if you go crit, go hard.

So there's my problem with the attribute system: so far, seems pretty basic. If you aren't a spellcaster, pump Ferocity all day every day. Get some attack speed bonuses from passives. Hell, grab the +speed on crit node. Enjoy having high speed, high crit attacks.

Last edited:
It's confusing.

So I respecced out of toughness since the gear you get starts giving you chunky amounts of defensive stats. Way better than toughness provides. So that leaves Crit, Speed or Ailments.

Speed is awesome...but it doesn't work for dodging, skills or movement. It also directly interferes with any passive that works on charges and fucks with dodging. Unless you're very tanky, you can't stand there and swing a million times to try and kill with paper cuts. So Crit or Ailments.

Ailments...don't seem to work against bosses and champions. I don't think building for something that doesn't work/works at incredibly diminished capacity against the toughest targets is wise. So Crit.

Crit only works if you keep pumping crit. If you stop pumping crit while leveling, your crit chance goes down. It's like WoW: higher levels need more crit score per crit percentage. So if you go crit, go hard.

So there's my problem with the attribute system: so far, seems pretty basic. If you aren't a spellcaster, pump Ferocity all day every day. Get some attack speed bonuses from passives. Hell, grab the +speed on crit node. Enjoy having high speed, high crit attacks.

interesting, thanks for this breakdown

Holammer

The game is alright, put a couple of hours into it and I'm having a good time with some fun mechanics.
My biggest gripe with the game is the story. Back in my days... You spoke with the innkeeper, found the guy dying outside the church, "Your death... Will be avenged!" and you're good to go. Here it keeps puking exposition and world building. Maybe it gets better later, I just want to hit stuff and upgrade gear.

I get that the game probably generated this drop as a hook to keep me playing, but I haven't been this disappointed since I got loot I couldn't use in Diablo3. Four cum gargling levels to be able to wield it.

E8C396CB3C78094B019D13DC32EE04B8D5E7A645

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The game is alright, put a couple of hours into it and I'm having a good time with some fun mechanics.
My biggest gripe with the game is the story. Back in my days... You spoke with the innkeeper, found the guy dying outside the church, "Your death... Will be avenged!" and you're good to go. Here it keeps puking exposition and world building. Maybe it gets better later, I just want to hit stuff and upgrade gear.

I get that the game probably generated this drop as a hook to keep me playing, but I haven't been this disappointed since I got loot I couldn't use in Diablo3. Four cum gargling levels to be able to wield it.

E8C396CB3C78094B019D13DC32EE04B8D5E7A645
going from 9 to 15 is nothing

down 2 orth

Might put this on my wishlist.

Too bad about the bosses. Tough bosses in a soulsborne game = ok. Tough bosses in a Diablo killer = not so interested. But I'll keep an open mind.

Nixonomics

Have you got a screenshot of what you're referring to?

Level one character:

pfMu6K5.png

Level two:

87dIW5b.png

I'd imagine this is supposed to provide a quick glance at where you're lacking. But I feel like I've had a stroke trying to make sense of it and balance them.

It would make sense that at higher levels to meet the "expected value" it would require gear with good rolls. But I'd think at level one, the baseline, there wouldn't be such lofty expected values. The starting deficit is probably because you're being compared to a fully equipped level one character, while you start with empty slots. I can't get online to check the gauges on my higher level character right now but I don't think I've ever had a bar filled.

Maybe these are more relevant at higher levels. But right now this feels like I'm just chasing the dragon. Seems like an odd metric to have in a game that doesn't have classes too.

Is anyone able to play online? I still can't get a character to start.

I haven't been able to. Was able to connect but I couldn't create a session.

GHG

Level one character:

pfMu6K5.png

Level two:

87dIW5b.png

I'd imagine this is supposed to provide a quick glance at where you're lacking. But I feel like I've had a stroke trying to make sense of it and balance them.

It would make sense that at higher levels to meet the "expected value" it would require gear with good rolls. But I'd think at level one, the baseline, there wouldn't be such lofty expected values. The starting deficit is probably because you're being compared to a fully equipped level one character, while you start with empty slots. I can't get online to check the gauges on my higher level character right now but I don't think I've ever had a bar filled.

Maybe these are more relevant at higher levels. But right now this feels like I'm just chasing the dragon. Seems like an odd metric to have in a game that doesn't have classes too.

I haven't been able to. Was able to connect but I couldn't create a session.

I think the text in the tool tip is incorrect here. The bars offer a way for you to easily compare what your primary stats are against each other. So you have primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary.

It's impossible to have all the bars maxed out, especially if you are equally distributing points.

Anyway, you shouldn't equally distribute points across all four, at a max you should focus on 2 dependant on what your loadout is.

Lanrutcon

Another boss, another tiny arena, infinite enemies, constant aoe attacks that don't take your dodge cooldown into consideration.

Strapped on full tank kit, stand in corner, hold down left click.

The dodge charges make trying to win these fights any other way pointless.

This game isn't ready for higher difficulties.

GHG

Another boss, another tiny arena, infinite enemies, constant aoe attacks that don't take your dodge cooldown into consideration.

Strapped on full tank kit, stand in corner, hold down left click.

The dodge charges make trying to win these fights any other way pointless.

This game isn't ready for higher difficulties.

I've had no problems with any of the bosses so far, I don't even use my standard attacks anymore other than to build up rage if I can't pop a rage potion.

If you have all your skill slots full and you're still reliant on standard attacks you're doing it wrong.

To be honest I'd welcome higher difficulties, it's not been a challenge so far with my current build.

Lanrutcon

I've had no problems with any of the bosses so far, I don't even use my standard attacks anymore other than to build up rage if I can't pop a rage potion.

If you have all your skill slots full and you're still reliant on standard attacks you're doing it wrong.

To be honest I'd welcome higher difficulties, it's not been a challenge so far with my current build.

You completely missed the point of my post.

It was easy because I could tank the damage. Skills or normal attacks: doesn't matter.

If I couldn't tank the damage it would be impossible, since you can't dodge the damage and there's no room to move away from the damage.

The moment you can't tank boss damage those fights fall apart because the dodge mechanic can't keep up, the arenas are small and the infinitely spawning enemies box you in.

GHG

You completely missed the point of my post.

It was easy because I could tank the damage. Skills or normal attacks: doesn't matter.

If I couldn't tank the damage it would be impossible, since you can't dodge the damage and there's no room to move away from the damage.

The moment you can't tank boss damage those fights fall apart because the dodge mechanic can't keep up, the arenas are small and the infinitely spawning enemies box you in.

Ah gotcha.

Well I guess the game showers you with power shield and health regen loot for a reason.

Basically if you have one distant aoe attack, one close AOE attack and a couple of straight line meat shredder attacks then you're good to go with any situation.

Nothing more satisfying than getting a bunch of enemies in a line and then executing a perfect flight of gaavanir throw and return. Phantom blades with the 2s slow bonus unlocked aren't too shabby either.

Lanrutcon

Ah gotcha.

Well I guess the game showers you with power shield and health regen loot for a reason.

Basically if you have one distant aoe attack, one close AOE attack and a couple of straight line meat shredder attacks then you're good to go with any situation.

Nothing more satisfying than getting a bunch of enemies in a line and then executing a perfect flight of gaavanir throw and return. Phantom blades with the 2s slow bonus unlocked aren't too shabby either.

That particular fight was particularly jarring. You're in a small clearing, there are invisible walls around you so you're not sure where the clearing stops, enemies constantly spawn within the clearing in a random spread and the boss has several attacks with blast markers which he keeps chaining. There's no space to move and the moment you stop to kill mooks the boss nails you. Your dodge rolls are constantly stopped by enemies or invisible walls, and you run out of stamina charges because the boss is relentless. Doesn't help that my turret skill keeps bugging out.

Gear needs a modifier "-x time to recharge stamina". Trying to play a nimble character right now just fails so often.

Edit: Act 2 boss. Multi phase battle with insta kills, AN EVEN TINIER AREA THAN THE ABOVE EXAMPLE, infinite adds and oh look, they knock you into scenery and your character gets stuck. Who the fuck thought this was ready for release.

Last edited:

YodaBB

This definitely feels like it left EA a bit early, even ignoring the bugs. Just got to act 2 and all the boss fights seem very similar - small area, bullet sponge boss, loads of adds. Only one that seemed slightly different was a D3 butcher ripoff. I'm still early so hopefully this improves.

GymWolf

Guys, kinda of unrelated question, but there is a way to play diablo 3 on pc like you play it on console? With the dodge roll and perfect controller support? Some mods maybe...

Escara

Neo Member
Guys, kinda of unrelated question, but there is a way to play diablo 3 on pc like you play it on console? With the dodge roll and perfect controller support? Some mods maybe...
Simple answer: No

You can get a janky kind of controller support using third party software but that's really not recommended.

GymWolf

Simple answer: No

You can get a janky kind of controller support using third party software but that's really not recommended.
Fuck.
Do you know if the ps4 pro version has stable 60 frames?

I just want to play an arpg right now...

GymWolf

Grim Dawn or Path of Exile.
Already played grim dawn, poe doesn't have a meaty combat with good enemy reaction and ragdoll so it's a no from me dawg (i know it's an otherwise great game but i can't stand games where i kill a shitload of stuff without proper death animation)

Lanrutcon

are you enjoying wolcen?

Shelving it for a while.

- I switched to "Story" difficulty, and I realised that feels more than the Beta. "Normal" difficulty is very hp bloaty and damage spikes like an MMO.
- The dodge mechanic is half-assed, yet bosses are designed around it. Dodge needs to take priority over other animations, and boss moves need to give more than a .3 second warning and have some kind of cooldown. Your dodge has a cooldown. Bosses can't not have cooldowns on their aoe. Everything just points to "build a tank character" right now.
- You need to be able to zoom out. Ranged characters are straight fucked atm. They don't even attempt to hide the bias by the time the enemies with ranged immunity roll out. Wtf.
- Why do I need to quit to the main menu every time I want to buy new stuff from the shop? why does the shop even stock gray and blue items? where's the gambling mechanic?
- Crashes. Skills bugging out.
- Gear is pretty boring. Few legendaries, few uniques, no sets, no enchanting, very little variety in gems.
- Of the 3 main specs, 1 doesn't have a healing skill. If you go guns/bows you have potions and nothing else. This, combined with the already gimped ranged play, makes bosses an absolute nightmare with guns/bows.

It's super pretty (act 2 and 3 make act 1 look positively primitive). Skills are nice and meaty. Mob density and variety are nice. The transmog system is AMAZINGLY detailed.

But it needs work.

Last edited:

GHG

Dagger + catalyst is the best weapon combination if you want the most skill options.

It grants you access to the melee, caster and dagger skills. The only ones you miss out on are the bow exclusive skills but most of those are pants anyway.

Already played grim dawn, poe doesn't have a meaty combat with good enemy reaction and ragdoll so it's a no from me dawg (i know it's an otherwise great game but i can't stand games where i kill a shitload of stuff without proper death animation)

Maybe give titan quest a go if you're yet to play it?

Other than that there's the van helsing games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Dagger + catalyst is the best weapon combination if you want the most skill options.

It grants you access to the melee, caster and dagger skills. The only ones you miss out on are the bow exclusive skills but most of those are pants anyway.

Maybe give titan quest a go if you're yet to play it?

Other than that there's the van helsing games.
already played titan quest, not van helsing because he has the same "problem" of poe.

thanks for the advices tho.

dilbag

How are the online servers? been looking for a new ARPG with dedicated servers. I have tons of single player ARPG so been looking to sink my teeth into a new online one.

Hotspurr

Banned
Game is being decimated in steam reviews because of server issues.

I got above level 20. I like that things can actually kill me, requiring me to learn the boss patterns and save up my dodge rolls. A mindless clicking fest this is not.
I've had 1 crash on exit, but otherwise no noticeable bugs. It feels quite polished.
The skills are incredibly well animated and fun to use, the fact that you can change between melee, spellcaster and ranged on the fly and the willpower/rage interchange system is great.
The voice acting and story are actually decent and engaging. I care about what happens next.
The loot system is serviceable but not super exciting. What is more interesting is mixing up the skills and trying out different builds. I feel that will give this thing some longevity.
Overall this exceeded my expectations and I highly recommend it if you can stomach playing offline for now and not minding the occasional bug or two.

bullet sponge boss,

I’ll never understand why this is a complaint in RPGs. Enemies in RPGs will have varying levels of health pools, damage mitigation, armor, regeneration, resistances, etc

I can endorse every other criticism but I’ll never wrap my head around complaints of “bullet sponges” in any game that isn’t specifically designed to be realistic “one shot, one kill” gameplay.

I should play this again.

You can play a priest with dual pistols and just blat everything with a controller.

I played GD for the first time last night. Bought it a couple weeks ago thanks to a thread that Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura started that led me to find it and all the expansions on sale on GOG.

GD is awesome so far, feels like it should tide me over for a couple weeks while this game cooks a little longer

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I’ll never understand why this is a complaint in RPGs. Enemies in RPGs will have varying levels of health pools, damage mitigation, armor, regeneration, resistances, etc

I can endorse every other criticism but I’ll never wrap my head around complaints of “bullet sponges” in any game that isn’t specifically designed to be realistic “one shot, one kill” gameplay.

I played GD for the first time last night. Bought it a couple weeks ago thanks to a thread that Darkmakaimura Darkmakaimura started that led me to find it and all the expansions on sale on GOG.

GD is awesome so far, feels like it should tide me over for a couple weeks while this game cooks a little longer

Weeks? Months! It works like Diablo 2: first difficulty is adorable. Teaches you the basics. Let's you get some skill points.

Second difficulty they unlock most of the drops. You like purples? how about purples with the right rolls? optional bosses now pound your shit in. Some of the super bosses become available. You get rep from everything you kill from day 1. You start reading guides.

Then you hit the final difficulty and building a character requires a master's degree. Work towards an uber set, craft an uber talisman, max your reputations for the awesome gear augments, slot in the right relics, learn that you'll need a separate hotbar just for your buffs. Once you think you're ready, go tackle one of the super bosses. Get destroyed because you're garbage. Run Baal 1,204 times to become a God.

Irobot82

I finally encountered a bug. It was an option dungeon. When I entered it I couldn't move anywhere like I was stuck. I had to teleport out and back to the nearest warp point.

Lanrutcon

I finally encountered a bug. It was an option dungeon. When I entered it I couldn't move anywhere like I was stuck. I had to teleport out and back to the nearest warp point.

Had that happen a few times: transitioning between maps (or boss phases) sometimes either strands your character out of bounds, in an object or just confused him so that he walks funny (the animation shows him walking or running in one direction, but not the one he's actually facing).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i had a quest i couldn't finish in a dungeon.

since online is still fucked.
it would be super cute if i at least can use steam cloud to open my offline savegame on another pc.

Last edited:

Escara

Neo Member
There is no controller support for this game... right?
None so far
Devs said they will probably add it in a few months
You can use Steam Controller configs to get pseudo controller support but its not ideal.

Last edited:
No controller support is my biggest beef so far. Diablo 3 felt so great with a controller. Inventory management was kinda a bummer, but the actual gameplay was aces.

nkarafo

Dunno, graphically it doesn't really do it for me. It looks good but plain. Divinity 2 looks more busy and detailed.

GHG

Dunno, graphically it doesn't really do it for me. It looks good but plain. Divinity 2 looks more busy and detailed.

When you're wrecking shit and everything's popping off on the screen this game is in it's element.

Top Bottom