• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem |OT| Diablo Who

Fuz

Banned
Thinking about the reasons I stopped playing PoE, I've got two questions:

- Is there (or will there be) an AH for online characters?
- Do you lose XP when you die?

Also, unrelated to PoE, are assassins DW builds viable?

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

It seriously isn't, you just have to take it slower.

What? it's the first fight you have to remain absurdly mobile with instant death being the punishment for missing a beat in phase 3. There's literally nothing as punishing or tuned to require damage mitigation before that fight. Not sure what you mean by that.

It's the first fight you just have to slow down, and toss spells/use skills in 1-2 phase, and the first time you have to use dodge, toss vigor mortis or turrets in phase 3

I know you're trying to give advice, but if you think no-one tried using skills in phase 3 then I don't know what to tell you. Can't toss down a turret, I have no rage. I have to attack to get rage. Oh look, he just one shot me while I was locked in the firing animation. Glad I have to restart the entire 3 phase fight now. "The first time you have to use dodge"? You mean the entire fight? The only way you haven't had to dodge over and over by the time you reach phase 3 is if you're overleveled or geared like a tank, neither of which should be requirements but aren't really optional at the moment. I don't think you understand people's issues with the fight at all. <redacted>

I guess it can be the skills everyone has, but I cant beleive we all decided on the same builds, by accident.

You don't have to. There are dozen and dozens of posts on the Steam forums showing a variety of builds are having issues.

Last edited:

Liljagare

You don't have to. There are dozen and dozens of posts on the Steam forums showing a variety of builds are having issues.

No, did the fight again, several times, with completely different skillsets. You do not have to remain absurdly mobile, you just have to use dodge, dodge avoids all of this bosses special attacks, and every class in this fight, has a minimum of four 4, all the attacks are timed for this. 4 dodges is all you need for this chapter boss,

None of the phases need more than that, plus your normal at level potions.

Hotspurr

Banned
The bosses are definitely tough and the difficulty goes up quite a bit at the bosses. I am a tank melee build and as I got my ass handed to myself I had to choose skills more carefully and upgrade a little bit. The biggest part is doing the boss a few times to learn the move patterns and come up with a strategy for each case. Had to do it with both the Act 1 and 2 bosses so far and it felt very satisfying, almost souls-level satisfying. If you haven't played souls games the end bosses might seem like a pain. If you've played souls games this will be a very welcome difficulty ramp. You get pretty decent gear from the sub dungeons, choose the runes carefully, and come up with a way to negate any damage for each boss attack and you'll be golden.

For the act 2 boss, I had many problems in phase 2 such as: not being able to roll away because many enemies were blocking my path. The ground becoming red and doing crazy amounts of damage and not being able to get away in time. The last part of the boss where it feels like everything ramps to 100 and he wrecks me. To solve this I got a skill that lets me vault over the enemies to safety. A shield skill that absorbs most of the ground damage until the ground goes back to normal, and saving up my super form until the end of the fight. It was still pretty close but very rewarding.

sixamp

i bought it on friday and just put in my refund request. this game has so many bugs its not even funny. my offline progress was lost 3 times and my online once. the servers were trash all weekend. Done with it. the steam forums is full of people who feel the same way.

Escara

Neo Member
Thinking about the reasons I stopped playing PoE, I've got two questions:

- Is there (or will there be) an AH for online characters?
- Do you lose XP when you die?

Also, unrelated to PoE, are assassins DW builds viable?
There are a couple of dual wielding nodes and a assassin part of the tree so I'd imagine it would be viable. Just haven't made one myself.
As for the auction house question I don't remember the devs mentioning anything about adding one.. All you can do now is trade with people if you join their party.

i bought it on friday and just put in my refund request. this game has so many bugs its not even funny. my offline progress was lost 3 times and my online once. the servers were trash all weekend. Done with it. the steam forums is full of people who feel the same way.
That sucks man. Surprising that you lost offline progress since that's the one part of the game that's been stable for me throughout. As for the server issue they're mostly fixed now. Most online game have problems in the first two days of launch.

Hotspurr

Banned

Not a bad move. I am just playing offline for now just to learn the game a bit, and will start an online character once things are more stable. I haven't had many bugs, maybe a few crashes due to video card being overclocked (which was weird, since the game was fine for like the first 8 hours). Just buy it when things are patched and stable, it really is a great ARPG.

DavidGzz

I've had zero issues online. I did play the first 2 days offline because I had no intention to play with friends but since it is on GE Force Now, I have to play online since offline characters are not saved to the cloud. I love this game.

Reactions: GHG

HelpYouFall

Just a thought: why is this bashing of Diablo (see thread title) always necessary in ARPG threads? It gets to the point that people will ask for a public hanging if you so much as say you prefer Diablo 3 over POE haha. It smells like insecurity if anything.
Watch the same people ragging on Diablo non stop all buy it day one and Diablo 4 doing incredible numbers, oh irony ghehe

On-topic: A friend of mine streamed some Wolcen for me last night, I think it looks great. The level design and overall atmosphere is amazing.

Escara

Neo Member
Just a thought: why is this bashing of Diablo (see thread title) always necessary in ARPG threads? It gets to the point that people will ask for a public hanging if you so much as say you prefer Diablo 3 over POE haha. It smells like insecurity if anything.
Watch the same people ragging on Diablo non stop all buy it day one and Diablo 4 doing incredible numbers, oh irony ghehe

On-topic: A friend of mine streamed some Wolcen for me last night, I think it looks great. The level design and overall atmosphere is amazing.
To be fair no one hates on Diablo 1 and 2. The hate for 3 probably comes from the current opinion towards Blizzard and how they sacrificed depth to make the game more accessible, compared to PoE and even D2.
I still had a ton of fun with D3 and I'm probably gonna reinstall it this season to try out the new 10 headed hydra set they added.
But honestly once you get to the endgame in PoE, you'll see the huge difference in what it has to offer.

Last edited:

HelpYouFall

To be fair no one hates on Diablo 1 and 2. The hate for 3 probably comes from the current opinion towards Blizzard and how they sacrificed depth to make the game more accessible, compared to PoE and even D2.
I still had a ton of fun with D3 and I'm probably gonna reinstall it this season to try out the new 10 headed hydra set they added.
But honestly once you get to the endgame in PoE, you'll see the huge difference in what it has to offer.

Sure thing, it was more of an observation than a criticism tbh. I like both games (D3 and POE) btw. But I just can't stand doing the campaign each new league, the cumbersome menu's (on console) and overall need for a compendium to get anywhere as a new player. A lot of POE feels like 'chore work' to get to the good stuff for me, and running rifts is just a very relaxing and straight forward thing for me. I used to go hard (HARD) in Diablo 2, but as I get older and got more shit to do with 'being a grownup', I tend to gravitate towards 'easy to digest and snacksize bite experiences' when it comes to gaming.

It all comes down to preferences and that's fine. The criticism towards D3 are fair from that point of view too, I just hate that some people seem to think it's the only narrative out there. While there's so many people out there who enjoy the game just fine (being more casual gamers or not, I'll leave that up for debate). Oh well, it's nice to see plenty of options in the genre, with Wolcen bringing a new flavor to the table.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

Same thing happens from time to time with breakable boxes etc containing money. No matter how many times you click them it doesn't register.

Think it's a bug of some sort.

There's a number of bugs I have encounter within getting to level 10. Enemies having none working hitboxes (I find some AOE attacks can hit em). Strange invisible barrier that prevented me from getting to a lower level of the Den (had to travel back to town and then go back to access the area) and a number of times I try to roll but the character doesn't move.

Besides all these bugs the game is still great.

I totally get what you’re saying.

I’ve noticed that ARPG gamers tend to be one of the more/most passionate communities out there. These games attract the people who can routinely put upwards of 1000 hours, write thorough build guides, min-maxing, all that jazz.

For the most part it’s a good thing, but one drawback seems to be the concept of “different opinions,” or just “tolerance” in general goes out the window pretty quickly. When I posted in a PoE forum that I liked D3 a lot, people straight up laughed at me and basically said “then PoE isn’t for you, you filthy casual.”

I’m liking that Wolcen is being described as a middle ground between D3 and PoE, sounds right up my alley. I’m just waiting until people stop losing progression, that would piss me off

I love ARPGs but I’m not the kinda guy who can naturally figure out the best builds and how to roll everything in max difficulty or whatever. I tend to go with a concept I think is fun and just try to make it viable enough to still make progress

I added another 9 hours to my GD playthrough yesterday, I think I’m up to 33 hours in 4 days, I love it but I still have no idea what I’m doing, just winging it. When I read a guide for the classes I’m using they threw out all sorts of terms and referenced items I had never heard of and have no idea how to get. Maybe I’m just an idiot. I’m the kinda guy that paragon leveling is meant for. It’s simple, keep killing mobs, keep getting more powerful. I know I’m the minority on that

the perfect ARPG for me is one with enough depth to justify hundreds of hours of play but not so complex I need to be reading a textbook every 10 minutes to make sure I’m doing the right thing

sorry or rambling (and for typos)

Last edited:

HelpYouFall

When I posted in a PoE forum that I liked D3 a lot, people straight up laughed at me and basically said “then PoE isn’t for you, you filthy casual.”

I always tell those theorycraft assholes to 1v1 me in Anor Londo. Shock and awe tactics, bro haha

Laughs and giggles aside, I agree completely with what you're saying. I might be wrong here, but I think it's mostly a one way thing. You hardly see this vitriol on r/diablo etc aimed at people who play POE. Most give GGG a lot of credit.

Sure, there's rotten apples on both sides but there was such a great difference to be seen when the announcement for both Diablo 4 and POE 2 dropped. On the Diablo side most people just voiced enthusiasm (and criticism/feedback as well). And when the POE 2 trailer dropped r/pathofexile and such was flooded with "LOL RIP DIABLO 4" threads and them invading all kinds of Diablo threads.

I think both communities can and SHOULD take some joking stabs at eachother (it's just fun), but man do some of those POE fans take that shit far haha. Seems like a form of elitism that goes past "I like this game better" at times.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just a pro tip ignore the fucking idiotic PoE fanboys they are just as shit as those idiotic souls fans.

PoE is an ok game. Just ignore the fanboys.

HelpYouFall

Just a pro tip ignore the fucking idiotic PoE fanboys they are just as shit as those idiotic souls fans.

PoE is an ok game. Just ignore the fanboys.

Sure. And obviously it's some of them like I said and people seem to yell loudest on the internet. Most people I talk about POE with are super cool and just passionate about their favorite game. Nothing wrong with that.

Hotspurr

Banned
Wolcen Reddit is absolute toxicity.
Your think the game launched in a completely broken and unplayable state.
I can understand the anger around online being down and character wipes, but I have yet to see constant game breaking bugs. Overall it feels very polished to me and definitely feels like an AAA release and not some obscure garbage.

There were some more legitimate criticisms of the endgame, where some build paths were not viable and effects not stacking correctly. This too I can understand, but didn't think there were that many hardcore players ... People putting in 20+ hours into the game, enjoying it, and then getting to the end game and realizing they can't get the right build and then calling the game trash. I saw a guy refund a game after 31 hours. Shamelessness.

Wolcen Reddit is absolute toxicity.
Your think the game launched in a completely broken and unplayable state.
I can understand the anger around online being down and character wipes, but I have yet to see constant game breaking bugs. Overall it feels very polished to me and definitely feels like an AAA release and not some obscure garbage.

There were some more legitimate criticisms of the endgame, where some build paths were not viable and effects not stacking correctly. This too I can understand, but didn't think there were that many hardcore players ... People putting in 20+ hours into the game, enjoying it, and then getting to the end game and realizing they can't get the right build and then calling the game trash. I saw a guy refund a game after 31 hours. Shamelessness.

wow there’s a service that will refund a game after 31 hours? That seems....harmful

I haven’t browsed the Wolcen sub yet, guess I need to

Lol just go visit the Wolcen Discord to get a true taste of toxicity.
Just a continuous stream of people ranting.

Interesting.

Other than character/profession wipes (which suck, for sure) I feel like I haven’t seen anything that severe reported in this thread so far.

Or is it just general gameplay/build viability ranging?

Hotspurr

Banned
wow there’s a service that will refund a game after 31 hours? That seems....harmful

I haven’t browsed the Wolcen sub yet, guess I need to

Steam refunds are 2 hours. But they are going around the automated process and bitching to steam employees. I can understand 3, 4 or even 5 hours given the shaky servers and the launch, but if you put 31 hours into something that clearly means you felt it was worth your time. Just not fair to the devs.

I remember I finished Sekiro in complete resentment as that game was not enjoyable to me, though I pushed my way through anyway. But I didn't go back to the store and ask for my money back ...

isual

glossed through the thread and watched some streams about it.

i'm going to pass for now and wait a year or even two while they fix the bugs and an eventual sale.

i'm just gonna play grim dawn since that's been on my backlog for a while, and if i like it enough i'll get the expansions. characters that are unable to be played in offline/online aren't to my liking either.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I saw that this got added to Geforce Now

Interesting

YodaBB

I respecced from mage to melee when I found a unique axe. My god, talk about easy mode lol. You can just stack block chance all the way upto 90%+ which makes you almost unhittable. Ended with 95%, I assume 100% is possible. The axe was L17 and I finished the game with it as I never found anything better, and ended the story at around L40. Good luck to anyone trying the final boss as a mage on normal difficulty (I just stood there and clicked).

Kenpachii

I respecced from mage to melee when I found a unique axe. My god, talk about easy mode lol. You can just stack block chance all the way upto 90%+ which makes you almost unhittable. Ended with 95%, I assume 100% is possible. The axe was L17 and I finished the game with it as I never found anything better, and ended the story at around L40. Good luck to anyone trying the final boss as a mage on normal difficulty (I just stood there and clicked).

3bec982f0235a40fa7ce4a7bc1e85f46.gif

phase 3 mage. the wirlwind is just there to debuff the boss so anomaly or whatever its called burns him down.

Kenpachii

Cool, I might try that as the building stuff seems kinda grindy and boring. I guess I didn't pick the right mage skills!

Yea it really makes a difference, i was playing with fire balls and that shit did no dmg like 1k fireballs at 38. way to low to get stuff going. just go full wisdom with https://wolcen-universe.com/builds/pGBkQg-anomaly-ail-(mage-starter) Also has a later on guide.

And u will utterly melt stuff without problems.

Makes it a lot more easier for sure.

Also some new screenshots.

PlpKRzw.png

QTdvUT9.png

bz8hijy.png

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

I think it's a pun based on the fact this game borrows ALOT from diablo 3.
And it pretends it never heard from that game 🤫

Not really to shit on it.

Someone give me a final word, stream says reviews are mixed and i don't buy anything with reviews below "very favourable", unless they're skewed by multiplayer problems like RDR2.

Also is it just me or do they take off Warhammer shamelessly?

Lanrutcon

Someone give me a final word, stream says reviews are mixed and i don't buy anything with reviews below "very favourable", unless they're skewed by multiplayer problems like RDR2.

Also is it just me or do they take off Warhammer shamelessly?

At it's worst, it's ok. It had a rough launch. You can always buy, try and refund.

I think it's currently a fine game, but with a little polish (and controller support) it'll be aces.

YodaBB

Yea it really makes a difference, i was playing with fire balls and that shit did no dmg like 1k fireballs at 38. way to low to get stuff going. just go full wisdom with https://wolcen-universe.com/builds/pGBkQg-anomaly-ail-(mage-starter) Also has a later on guide.

Funnily enough fire mage with fireball was what I was trying originally. It seemed the more I levelled up the less damage it did...That's the problem with having spells that drop, I don't think I even got anomaly till I was around L30.

GHG

Gold Member
Holy fucking shit act 2 last boss
Hahaha

Wow 🤣🤣🤣
Good luck with that one 😅

Phase 2 of that boss is a test of your mobility more than anything.

There are always safe zones when he starts throwing red pools down.

Lanrutcon

Phase 2 of that boss is a test of your mobility more than anything.

There are always safe zones when he starts throwing red pools down.

That being said, super buggy fight.

Popped into Apocalypse form, popped out...couldn't move (enemy had moved into my position during the transition animation, character stuck in enemy model). Died.

Boss summoned group of enemies on me. Same as above (stuck in enemy model). Died.

Got knocked out of bounds. Character stuck in thin air. Died.

GHG

Gold Member
First time I read about this game. Worth to get?

If you like to play your ARPG's solo then absolutely yes. I've put over 30 hours in since release and loved every moment of it in offline mode.

If you want to play in co-op then hold off a few weeks until they get the stables more stable on a consistent basis.

That being said, super buggy fight.

Popped into Apocalypse form, popped out...couldn't move (enemy had moved into my position during the transition animation, character stuck in enemy model). Died.

Boss summoned group of enemies on me. Same as above (stuck in enemy model). Died.

Got knocked out of bounds. Character stuck in thin air. Died.

I beat phase two on about my 5th try, didn't experience any of that but then I didn't use apocalypse mode (I completely forget it even exists more often than not). Havoc Orbs put in the work for me.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
If you like to play you ARPG's solo then absolutely yes. I've put over 30 hours in since release and loved every moment of it in offline mode.

If you want to play in co-op then hold off a few weeks until they get the stables more stable on a consistent basis.
Oh thats my cup of tea. Thanks mate!

Lanrutcon

I beat phase two on about my 5th try, didn't experience any of that but then I didn't use apocalypse mode (I completely forget it even exists more often than not). Havoc Orbs put in the work for me.

I wanna try that.

The apocalypse mode out of bounds issue is pretty repeatable. I didn't bother reporting it, cause I'm sure a bunch of folks already have.

Top Bottom