• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOLCEN - Lords of Mayhem |OT| Diablo Who

So I was gonna wait for 3 big patches until I dove in but after the first patch dropped, and 63 hours of Grim Dawn binged this week, I decided to start up my first online hero

just beat the first boss, I think I was over leveled so it was pretty breezy

bulwark of Dawn with AOE damage mod, bladestorm, and anomaly melt everything right now. Pretty much going all toughness and spell damage so far, trying to mix in a little crit where I can

only encountered one glitch so far

I feel pretty hooked but I know it’s early, still honeymoon phase

Hotspurr

Banned

Just watched the review.
It really explains a lot about the game.
And the guy is being really honest.

So much potential this game has 😊

I hope this game survives this "buggy" phase and they end up releasing expansions and new content. Seems the devs are very passionate but they were in a bit over their heads.
Luckily I experienced 2% of the bugs this guy describes, so may experience was really good and I felt it was money well spent. Then again I'm playing offline and I'm not the kind of person that sinks 100s of hours into a single game.

I hope this game survives this "buggy" phase and they end up releasing expansions and new content. Seems the devs are very passionate but they were in a bit over their heads.
Luckily I experienced 2% of the bugs this guy describes, so may experience was really good and I felt it was money well spent. Then again I'm playing offline and I'm not the kind of person that sinks 100s of hours into a single game.

Yeah, based on my short 9 hours with the game so far (been no-life status today) I feel like it could be one of the best ARPGs on the market, by far, with a solid 9-12 months experience of fixes, polishes, content drops etc

I know nothing about the devs or what their long term plan is tho

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The crazy part about his review is.
The amount of crap he went through he still loves it.

Kinda like me. I can see the fun in this game.
Already 50+ hours deep.

GymWolf

My build in wolcen in a nutshell

30639-i8t8f3.gif
Spin to win?

Kenpachii

Just watched the review.
It really explains a lot about the game.
And the guy is being really honest.

So much potential this game has 😊

NIce video chill and relax.

Watched him play the game and god he got fucked by the bugs not even a little bit. Ok guys i gona trade this item for my last item with this other guy.

Trades, item gone. Goes back to his stash / warhouse / bank all tabs empty everything was gone. He farms everything back again just to get it whiped another time. Then he decides he wants to upgrade his bis weapon and boom also gone. He relogs entire character rolled back to the start tutorial.

It was brutal watching him play the game after getting bend over, over and over again. Entertaining tho.

Anyway 50 hours in right now and i like it a lot, i personally didn't encounter any bug funny as that sounds.

Last edited:
NIce video chill and relax.

Watched him play the game and god he got fucked by the bugs not even a little bit. Ok guys i gona trade this item for my last item with this other guy.

Trades, item gone. Goes back to his stash / warhouse / bank all tabs empty everything was gone. He farms everything back again just to get it whiped another time. Then he decides he wants to upgrade his bis weapon and boom also gone.

It was brutal watching him play the game after getting bend over, over and over again. Entertaining tho.

Anyway 50 hours in right now and i like it a lot, i personally didn't encounter any bug funny as that sounds.

Same but it probably helps that i'm playing offline only.

Spukc

Same but it probably helps that i'm playing offline only.
Same i don't trust this devs for online play right now.

Also material damage + %15 doesn't work
My crits don't go up 15% pure bullshit.

people seem to be talking about a complete reset for online... Because the game is so broken due exploits

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Just started Act 3 so I figured i would throw this out there to see how it compares to some of you others playing. This is my 2h melee build focused on the Flight of Gaavanir skill so what are you guys running?

iYfKPOB.jpg

OU9VOx1.jpg

What I finished the game with:

Unfortunately it's broken in endgame because some of the skill upgrades and passives aren't working correctly :(

Can't wait for them to patch it up because I miss playing this game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Made it to Chapter 2, playing offline because online sounds like a mess and I'm planning on just playing this solo anyway. I've got a 2H melee build where I'm focusing on life leeching. I'm up to something like 12% life leech. I also found a vendor in one of the side dungeons that had a unique two handed ice-mace that's basically wrecking everything I come across so that helps.

I haven't encountered too many bugs yet, though I did load up a level once that seemed like it had invisible barriers. I had to exit the game and re-launch to proceed. Other than that, I had another side mission to kill 3 enemies and after I killed one of them their quest marker didn't go away and the game thought I hadn't killed it so I never got to complete the quest. But that's all been pretty minor so far.

I've been taking my time with the game, not rushing through it, and killing all the enemies on a level and doing all the side quests. I was level 23 when I killed the chapter 1 boss.

Is anyone trying to go full summoner? The summons felt super weak when I tried them early but I notice there are nodes dedicated to buffing them, wondering how viable they are. Maybe my next hero will be summoner (catalyst off hand) and turrets (pistol main hand)

Kenpachii

I think summons got a buff 2 days ago or some fixes. because summons didn't scale or nodes didn't work. its still broken tho so yea there's that. Probably have to wait for next week patch for that or who knows how long it takes.

Kenpachii

Anyway, got lucky today got the headhunter belt comparable belt ( most expensive item currently ) out of a vendor in a expedition. ( belt is called trail belt i believe ).

cbe2578b8fecd938e1b2b0f9e3fe27d1.png

Basically, mark of impurity is a skill that casts now automatically even without having to have the skill active which increases all dmg output ( black mark debuff on the targets )

Then about builds,

This is my build atm.

I am a hybrid mage.

I got 3 ways of killing

1) fireballs with meteors
2) freeze
3) arcane pull them in a void and burn them to death
4) slam everything together.

I use all of them. Its a very fun build i made and works well. the only problem its getting hard now at 130+ maps to the point i need to make some changes soon.

Demonstration:

Arcane dmg: vortex that soaks mobs in there and keeps them unless they are unstoppable.

f9b7e7dc7179fc69503e51f9343c91e6.gif

Meteor skill which is a aoe an does massive burns + aoe dmg on groups.

ae0afc3451e180d329fac4ee255a50b4.gif

Aoe ice skill that does massive aoe dmg real quick, but burns mana.

022dd75d63ebc769810a2cbcde2874ce.gif

Fire ball dmg and burns it does its insane specially if you are in a smaller area u can focus the balls over eachother which will burn down large packs of mobs in seconds.

c254f6c7807dc82074bdf00cfd59b635.gif

Combination of meteor + vortex + fireballs

eb89ab9c316e33eaae9b3cdd022f35b6.gif

Best combo, its also all aoe by the way.

Vortex x2 + meteor + fireball for burns cancel then freeze spam.

593be103a09dc6124b6bf8f96625112c.gif

Currently at level 130 maps 187 is max, but bosses got now 17m hp and it goes up and up, and eve this dmg output isn't holding up anymore that well, its starting to get harder and harder, this is a 127 map i demonstrated my attacks in.

Picked it up yesterday to play with a friend. Got damn its fun and hard to put down.. However some of the bugs can really put a damper in things.

Anyone else having a hard time selling items? Sometimes i will have no problems, other times it just won't sell. Having to right click over and over until it eventually randomly works.. ive heard some say its from moving the mouse but that doesnt seem to be the case for me as i can clamp the thing in place and it still doesnt register.

Hotspurr

Banned
Picked it up yesterday to play with a friend. Got damn its fun and hard to put down.. However some of the bugs can really put a damper in things.

Anyone else having a hard time selling items? Sometimes i will have no problems, other times it just won't sell. Having to right click over and over until it eventually randomly works.. ive heard some say its from moving the mouse but that doesnt seem to be the case for me as i can clamp the thing in place and it still doesnt register.

Yeah had this too. Trying to keep things static helps. Everything I've come across has been minor stuff like this, except for the final boss still bugging out for me to the point where I can never kill it.

Ichabod

Banned
Is anyone trying to go full summoner? The summons felt super weak when I tried them early but I notice there are nodes dedicated to buffing them, wondering how viable they are. Maybe my next hero will be summoner (catalyst off hand) and turrets (pistol main hand)

I rolled toxic summoner and I'm loving it. Although I'm only lvl 38, my dps melts (Granted a sizeable portion of my damage comes from toxic/poison burst). I've had no problems bodying the act 1 & 2 final bosses. With that said, I don't think it's wise to rely solely on minions for your dps (at least in early game), as bosses will wink your zombies out of existence with power moves. However, it goes without saying the Golem is a total bro and an outstanding tank. I've yet to have him die from facetanking the worst bosses have to offer. From my experience, I would suggest to have a back up bread and butter method of bring the deeps while the golem keeps nasties from chewing your face off. I chose toxic/poison and it slaps.

Summoning is in a decent spot for being so early in the game's life but it definitely has a few wrinkles the devs will need to iron out:
-Summons need character panes so you can see how many minions you have summoned and how much life they have left. Sometimes amidst the chaos of battle its hard to tell when you're down a zombie or two and that means lost dps.
-Sometimes your minions just stand around when they should be close enough to start attacking.
-Hitting the summon button at max summons is supposed to make your minions focus fire on whatever you are mousing over, but it doesn't always work to redirect the lollygagging bastards. The game could really use a "rally on me" move like PoE's Convocation.
-I've only experienced it once, but during the act 2 final boss, the golem wouldn't appear in the boss room so I had to manually remove my staff to despawn, requip it, and spawn him so he could be present for the fight.
-This last bullet is more of a want than a need-to-fix, but more minion diversity would be nice, and the zombies really need more detail/interesting design. They are really plain and boring to look at, especially compared to how much detail the rest of the game has.

All in all, Summoning is in a decent enough spot to feel fun to play and powerful, but it needs a little more work to make it really shine. If you're a fan of minion playstyles, however, I definitely recommend taking it for a spin.

Last edited:
I rolled toxic summoner and I'm loving it. Although I'm only lvl 38, my dps melts (Granted a sizeable portion of my damage comes from toxic/poison burst). I've had no problems bodying the act 1 & 2 final bosses. With that said, I don't think it's wise to rely solely on minions for your dps (at least in early game), as bosses will wink your zombies out of existence with power moves. However, it goes without saying the Golem is a total bro and an outstanding tank. I've yet to have him die from facetanking the worst bosses have to offer. From my experience, I would suggest to have a back up bread and butter method of bring the deeps while the golem keeps nasties from chewing your face off. I chose toxic/poison and it slaps.

Summoning is in a decent spot for being so early in the game's life but it definitely has a few wrinkles the devs will need to iron out:
-Summons need character panes so you can see how many minions you have summoned and how much life they have left. Sometimes amidst the chaos of battle its hard to tell when you're down a zombie or two and that means lost dps.
-Sometimes your minions just stand around when they should be close enough to start attacking.
-Hitting the summon button at max summons is supposed to make your minions focus fire on whatever you are mousing over, but it doesn't always work to redirect the lollygagging bastards. The game could really use a "rally on me" move like PoE's Convocation.
-I've only experienced it once, but during the act 2 final boss, the golem wouldn't appear in the boss room so I had to manually remove my staff to despawn, requip it, and spawn him so he could be present for the fight.
-This last bullet is more of a want than a need-to-fix, but more minion diversity would be nice, and the zombies really need more detail/interesting design. They are really plain and boring to look at, especially compared to how much detail the rest of the game has.

All in all, Summoning is in a decent enough spot to feel fun to play and powerful, but it needs a little more work to make it really shine. If you're a fan of minion playstyles, however, I definitely recommend taking it for a spin.

thats good to hear. I’ve always gravitated toward minion based heroes in any RPG that offers the playstyle

Fuz

Banned
This game looks great in pictures, but judging by the video is so fucking plagued by insane excessive effects. Would've been much cooler with a more "modest" direction.

[Disclaimer: I haven't played it yet - just judging the media posted in here]

Hotspurr

Banned
This game looks great in pictures, but judging by the video is so fucking plagued by insane excessive effects. Would've been much cooler with a more "modest" direction.

Give it a go.
The effects are actually pretty nice and very satisfying. Everything feels meaningful in terms of its impact. In contrast (for example), Grim Dawn feels very weak after Wolcen., Because a lot of the effects are somewhat bland. Diablo 3 made the skills feel really good and I think wolcen took a lot on inspiration from it.

GHG

Gold Member

It's really not. This is par for the course for the genre.

Fuz

Banned
It's really not. This is par for the course for the genre.
Well, I find most of those games too flashy. I'd prefer a tamer, more realistic rendition of combat. And those giant red swirling axes in the video are really flashy and excessive. Personal preference.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
If you guys like this top down action stuff then Darksiders Genesis might be right up your alley. Don't think there is a loot system but probably some other RPG elements. It seems to have reviewed well.

Hotspurr

Banned
Wolcen inspired me to get Lost Ark. Apparently that game had nearly 100 million pumped into it, and for some reason they won't localize it for the west. They did however make a Russian version, and you can get a free 7 day VPN trial with Proton VPN and make a VKontakte account (though they might be requiring a phone #, I had one from before). Might be worth a try, there are guides online and an english patch. People say good things about it.

Just finished Act 2. I was felled twice by them boss but was able to get back up with 2 of the 3 tokens or whatever they are. Definitely had a tougher time than with the first boss, but wasn’t totally wiped so I guess that’s okay

Act 2 has some great audio and visuals

Spukc

nah the gifs seem to run at 14fps. Effects make you feel powerful as fuck

checked out last epoch but god that game looks janky as hell almost thought it was a mod for diablo 2

yeah do NOT get that game. It's jankfest 2020

Last edited:
Wolcen inspired me to get Lost Ark. Apparently that game had nearly 100 million pumped into it, and for some reason they won't localize it for the west. They did however make a Russian version, and you can get a free 7 day VPN trial with Proton VPN and make a VKontakte account (though they might be requiring a phone #, I had one from before). Might be worth a try, there are guides online and an english patch. People say good things about it.

I keep hearing about Lost Ark. let us know what you think of it

Hotspurr

Banned
I keep hearing about Lost Ark. let us know what you think of it

Played for about 20 minutes. It might look pretty in trailers but it didn't feel good gameplay wise. Just a lot of fancy effects but not much to it. It is an MMO so it may prioritize things differently (I'm not a big MMO fan). I uninstalled it pretty quickly. I think for right now Wolcen is where it's at for solid diablo-like gameplay.

Hotspurr

Banned
Finished it today after needing to switch the difficulty to "story" so that I can actually kill the final boss before he bugs out.
Mini review:

Story: far above average for an ARPG
Gameplay: on par with diablo 3 in terms of how good things feel
Customization: build variety is high with the extensive passives rings and weapon based skills
Value: 15-20 hour campaign and then more in the endgame, very good
Graphics: possibly the best in terms of any ARPG currently on the market
Fun factor: very fun, if you don't believe me, just ask the thousands of people bitching about the bugs and how "broken" the game is, yet they aren't able to tear themselves away from it (>80K playing on steam right now)
Polish: the story portion felt mostly polished-ish, with a few minor bugs and one major bug at the endboss. I believe there are major issues with the passive skill rings and balancing, so if you care about endgame and viable builds you better read the internet a bit. Overall the game needs quite a bit more work to feel anywhere as robust as D3.
Launch: the launch was a bit of a disaster with character and items disappearing. I recently started a new online character and so far so good (one minor bug encountered with not being able to leave the town teleport circle)
Lasting appeal: I want to see more story, they certainly set things up for it. More weapon based skills will most likely be added, as well as new weapons and "classes", and I'm definitely looking forward to that. The world is pretty interesting, very analogous to Diablo, in fact a little TOO similar

Criticisms:
- magic characters need more than just a staff as far as an attack weapon (maybe I missed something?)
- portions of act 3 were quite repetitive and boring, seemed like they ran out of time a bit and had to rush for release
- some of the runes in the skills are vague or inconsequential, more interesting visual effects would have made things better
- loot feels limited, would have been nice to see some sets and items that give you access to special abilities
- single screen co-op and controller support, PLEASE!
- would have been nice to have a few side quests and more optional activities, perhaps a few ultra-difficult unique bosses (perhaps that's in the endgame, I haven't tried yet)
- a bit too similar to other ARPGs, especially D3. Still, it does in many ways feel like its own thing. This game feels more like a combination of all things good about RPGs rather than being a true innovation in the genre (which is always a very challenging feat)

Overall very impressed, fully plan to buy expansions and support this thing going forward.

Kenpachii

Finished it today after needing to switch the difficulty to "story" so that I can actually kill the final boss before he bugs out.
Mini review:

Story: far above average for an ARPG
Gameplay: on par with diablo 3 in terms of how good things feel
Customization: build variety is high with the extensive passives rings and weapon based skills
Value: 15-20 hour campaign and then more in the endgame, very good
Graphics: possibly the best in terms of any ARPG currently on the market
Fun factor: very fun, if you don't believe me, just ask the thousands of people bitching about the bugs and how "broken" the game is, yet they aren't able to tear themselves away from it (>80K playing on steam right now)
Polish: the story portion felt mostly polished-ish, with a few minor bugs and one major bug at the endboss. I believe there are major issues with the passive skill rings and balancing, so if you care about endgame and viable builds you better read the internet a bit. Overall the game needs quite a bit more work to feel anywhere as robust as D3.
Launch: the launch was a bit of a disaster with character and items disappearing. I recently started a new online character and so far so good (one minor bug encountered with not being able to leave the town teleport circle)
Lasting appeal: I want to see more story, they certainly set things up for it. More weapon based skills will most likely be added, as well as new weapons and "classes", and I'm definitely looking forward to that. The world is pretty interesting, very analogous to Diablo, in fact a little TOO similar

Criticisms:
- magic characters need more than just a staff as far as an attack weapon (maybe I missed something?)
- portions of act 3 were quite repetitive and boring, seemed like they ran out of time a bit and had to rush for release
- some of the runes in the skills are vague or inconsequential, more interesting visual effects would have made things better
- loot feels limited, would have been nice to see some sets and items that give you access to special abilities
- single screen co-op and controller support, PLEASE!
- would have been nice to have a few side quests and more optional activities, perhaps a few ultra-difficult unique bosses (perhaps that's in the endgame, I haven't tried yet)
- a bit too similar to other ARPGs, especially D3. Still, it does in many ways feel like its own thing. This game feels more like a combination of all things good about RPGs rather than being a true innovation in the genre (which is always a very challenging feat)

Overall very impressed, fully plan to buy expansions and support this thing going forward.

Magic casters can use dagger + catalyst which gives them probably the biggest range of skill usage and utility in the game. They are fine staff is just underwhelming.
There are different activity's tho like doing quests to unlock stuff
Also there are difficult boss fights that u can unlock in the end game with one having over a billion hp.

Also u could have joined there discord and asked for a boost on act 3, takes like a minute and some higher geared person would just one shot him for you.

Hotspurr

Banned
Magic casters can use dagger + catalyst which gives them probably the biggest range of skill usage and utility in the game. They are fine staff is just underwhelming.
There are different activity's tho like doing quests to unlock stuff
Also there are difficult boss fights that u can unlock in the end game with one having over a billion hp.

Also u could have joined there discord and asked for a boost on act 3, takes like a minute and some higher geared person would just one shot him for you.

Thanks
These more difficult boss fights, are they the same bosses but with higher health and damage, or actually brand new ones with different moves and attack patterns?

Kenpachii

Thanks
These more difficult boss fights, are they the same bosses but with higher health and damage, or actually brand new ones with different moves and attack patterns?

The last one is basically the second act boss with lots of minions spawns throughout it. It's pretty darn brutal as everything there one shots you and has a billion hp.

Last edited:
Beat the story this morning ( final boss took me 5 tries) and i'm still really happy with it. I've started the city building part now and i'm actually enjoying the expeditions since I only got to about lvl 46 before i beat the game and i wanted to see the build become as awesome as possible at max level. I'm hoping they are planning to add more to the game and fix the bugs though.
MGImy9f.jpg

Planning on finishing act 3 today

I haven’t died yet (been felled but always had tokens available) and I think there’s an achievement for finishing like that. Probably gonna overlevel like a motherfucker before final boss

looking forward to endgame, the meat of this games for me is progression

Top Bottom